Onkyo TX-NR3009 TX-NR5009 Spec's just realesed - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
liltalkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Coral Springs,FL, USA
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 64
New firmware available to download on the 5009.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
liltalkm is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-16-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
any idea what it does
Suzook is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Callback action March 19th 2012:
Onkyo has a callback going on for several AVR models of the year 2011 generation due to sub standard parts. The 5009 is among those.
You should check, if the 5009 you have is among those, who have to be serviced. This refers among others to all 5009s units manufactured between November 2011 and January 2012. Check with you local Onkyo distributor, if your unit is affected.

PS.:
Here is the link to the Onkyo UK site.
http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/articles/...ice-80521.html
gurkey is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:12 AM
Senior Member
 
dowop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
dowop is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
njfoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

Callback action March 19th 2012:
Onkyo has a callback going on for several AVR models of the year 2011 generation due to sub standard parts. The 5009 is among those.
You should check, if the 5009 you have is among those, who have to be serviced. This refers among others to all 5009s units manufactured between November 2011 and January 2012. Check with you local Onkyo distributor, if your unit is affected.

PS.:
Here is the link to the Onkyo UK site.
http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/articles/...ice-80521.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

Same info on the U.S site.
http://www.us.onkyo.com/press_releases.cfm?id=253

I wonder if Integra models are affected as well?
njfoses is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

I wonder if Integra models are affected as well?

could be a kind of catch 22 for Onkyo if they are. just making a stronger case for the similaraties between the two except for a few features they offer to make them slightly different.

william06 is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
joehonest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Affected Onkyo Models:
TX-8255 TX-8050 HT-RC360
TX-SR309 TX-NR609 TX-NR709 TX-NR809 TX-NR1009 TX-NR5009
(HT-R390) HT-S3400
(TX-NR609) HT-S7409&HT-S8409

What could all this units have in common ?
The price range is fairly large..
The spike in onkyo bad press is really turning me off, I'm afraid to recommend onkyo to a friend. I think my 3007, though all good, will be my last onkyo..
joehonest is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

I wonder if Integra models are affected as well?

Did you check the Integra site ?
There shouldn't be any difference, because of same boards.
gurkey is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,909
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Affected Onkyo Models:
TX-8255 TX-8050 HT-RC360
TX-SR309 TX-NR609 TX-NR709 TX-NR809 TX-NR1009 TX-NR5009
(HT-R390) HT-S3400
(TX-NR609) HT-S7409&HT-S8409

What could all this units have in common ?
The price range is fairly large..

Well if Onkyo had a component issue, if they source various power supplies from one manufacturer for example, it makes perfect sense why the 3009 and Integra models are exempt at this point in time. They dont make every model every day
FilmMixer is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
A&M 350Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Except i have a brand new 3009 doing exactly what the recall described! Shuts off right away
A&M 350Z is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
njfoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

Did you check the Integra site ?
There shouldn't be any difference, because of same boards.

Yea i cannot find anything on the integra website pertaining to this recall.
njfoses is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As Interga is more of a specialty shop line do you think Onkyo might be being more low key with the integra line and just working this issue thru its authorized dealers. Just a thought .

william06 is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,909
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

As Interga is more of a specialty shop line do you think Onkyo might be being more low key with the integra line and just working this issue thru its authorized dealers. Just a thought .

If it was indeed a parts/component issue, it makes perfect sense why the Integra line might not be involved..

The 80.3's were on back order until recently.. which would indicated a manufacture date outside of 11/11 and 12/11..
FilmMixer is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

If it was indeed a parts/component issue, it makes perfect sense why the Integra line might not be involved..

The 80.3's were on back order until recently.. which would indicated a manufacture date outside of 11/11 and 12/11..

What you say makes a lot of sense and mabey there truly is a quality difference internally in the Integra over the Onkyo line.

william06 is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,909
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

What you say makes a lot of sense and mabey there truly is a quality difference internally in the Integra over the Onkyo line.

Just to be clear... that's not what I'm implying at all.

They get parts, build a certain amount of units... wash rinse repeat... because the Integra line isn't "mass market" they may indeed not share any of the bad batch components causing this issue.. but these units are almost identical in every way that counts (i.e. 3009/5009/80.3, etc..)
FilmMixer is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Just to be clear... that's not what I'm implying at all.

They get parts, build a certain amount of units... wash rinse repeat... because the Integra line isn't "mass market" they may indeed not share any of the bad batch components causing this issue.. but these units are almost identical in every way that counts (i.e. 3009/5009/80.3, etc..)

Filmmixer:
My comment was basically an attempt at sarcasim. I have owned a 5007/5008 than Integra 40.3 50.3 and now the 3009. I personally have not heard any discernable differance in the audio quality, or build in either the Integra or Onkyo. So I would agree with your clarrification Timing more than anything else. I do repeat it is a shame that Onkyo had another issue calling a recall second generation in a row. Does not build a lot of confidence in future buyers but than again they acknowledge the issue and take care of it. We accept this from the auto industry as a normal part of the industry.

william06 is offline  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I just saw this and laughed

Every year they have issues....that require you to either send the unit back,like last years issues..or some of the older models with the HDMI board issues that would basically brick the receiver...due to the out of warranty repair cost

They replaced a faulty 905 receiver I had a with a 5009...which I have basically never used..its in a box in my garage

It was one their very early production models

I guess I need to call their "wonderful" customer service and get a RA number

LOL...some things never change

I did enter my receiver number on the website and it does say "your receiver does not need this update"

Time will tell...


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
joehonest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

I just saw this and laughed

Every year they have issues....that require you to either send the unit back,like last years issues..or some of the older models with the HDMI board issues that would basically brick the receiver...due to the out of warranty repair cost

They replaced a faulty 905 receiver I had a with a 5009...which I have basically never used..its in a box in my garage

It was one their very early production models

I guess I need to call their "wonderful" customer service and get a RA number

LOL...some things never change

I did enter my receiver number on the website and it does say "your receiver does not need this update"

Time will tell...


Warren

How would you know, you say ""its in a box in my garage"" ??
joehonest is offline  
Old 03-22-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

How would you know, you say ""its in a box in my garage"" ??

I guess time will tell when it rusts in the box in his garage.

william06 is offline  
Old 03-23-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

How would you know, you say ""its in a box in my garage"" ??

the resealed box in my garage has the serial number on the out side of it....like any recent manufacturers AVR's boxes that I have seen

I only pulled the unit out months ago to check for shipping damage when Onkyo took back my defective 905...I ran it for 15 minutes and put it back in the box

In the time it took to get that whole defective 905 madness straightened out I had already bought another AVR...
Simultaneously I was obtaining an RA number to send back my 5508 preamp for last years "wire" replacement ordeal

So..Onkyo was not on the top of my credibility list at that time..as you can imagine


Anyway
I copied the serial number from the 5009 receiver box and input the number into the website


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

I guess time will tell when it rusts in the box in his garage.

I retaped the box shut...hopefully it hasn't rusted in the 6 months it has been sitting there in a sealed box?

ironically...speaking on avr's sitting in my garage

I ran across an Onkyo 875 the other day...the owner said the video processing wasnt working...he was told the HDMI board had gone out

I am sure many know here how typical that repair is on those units and a few other recent Onkyos...I myself have had that repair done under warranty when I had an 875 a couple of years ago

My understanding is that a paid repair is about $700-900

Anyway...long story short...I give him $40.00 for it...thinking I would use it to power some speakers in the garage or whatever
I think the amp section in those units is top notch

And then what do you know..I hook it up and it works perfectly video and all..LOL?

For now anyway...time will tell..I dont need the video processing for what I was thinking anyway

So it is now sitting in a box on top of the 5009 receiver in my garage


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
joehonest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

So..Onkyo was not on the top of my credibility list at that time..as you can imagine
Warren

Me to, my very old onkyo 501 amp and 3200 pre still work like new and my 3007 is all good. But at this time I would think twice about another onkyo, don't want to press my good luck. I'm waiting to see what the next 3009, 5009 replacements are all about, what will onkyo cut out and add to the specs and features. Onkyo removed the BTL amps, which is the mode I use on my 3007. The #1 reason I got one!
joehonest is offline  
Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I see some new models starting to trickle out on their website

One thing I can see is some enhanced menu functionality

The higher models wont hit for a couple of months..so again..time will tell


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

If it was indeed a parts/component issue, it makes perfect sense why the Integra line might not be involved..

The 80.3's were on back order until recently.. which would indicated a manufacture date outside of 11/11 and 12/11..

Integra has issued a recall for the same issue for the three lower moldels. so far.

william06 is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Integra has issued a recall for the same issue for the three lower moldels. so far.

were the Integra's the subject of last years replacement wire recall as well?


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

were the Integra's the subject of last years replacement wire recall as well?


Warren

I do not remember

william06 is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,572
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

were the Integra's the subject of last years replacement wire recall as well?


Warren

Hi turnne1, yeap ... DTR-40.2, DTR-50.2, DTR-70.2, DTR-80.2, DHC-40.2 and DHC-80.2 models.
JChin is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All these similar problems that do exist major or minor just leans toward convincing me that the differences between the integra and onkyo lines are not that vast. Although there seems to be no issues with the 70.3 or 50.3, or 80.3 yet. Love my 3009 but just holding my breath.

william06 is offline  
Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
njfoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I was playing around with the picture settings today on my integra dtr 80.3 and found something interesting. When setting the picture mode to "through" the only processing is supposed to be upscaling to 1080p for that particular input. At least for me the "through" setting also changes the color temp to a warmer setting. I paused a screen via my directv that had white wording and changed the pic mode from direct to "through" and every time i changed to "through" the whites had a noticeably warmer tone to them than via direct mode. If i then change the mode to custom, 1080p and color temp normal then everything looks the way it should again. So it appears the that the "through" setting is also setting a warmer color temp along with upscaling. Does anybody else see this behavior since the Onkyo uses the same video processor?
njfoses is offline  
Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

I was playing around with the picture settings today on my integra dtr 80.3 and found something interesting. When setting the picture mode to "through" the only processing is supposed to be upscaling to 1080p for that particular input. At least for me the "through" setting also changes the color temp to a warmer setting. I paused a screen via my directv that had white wording and changed the pic mode from direct to "through" and every time i changed to "through" the whites had a noticeably warmer tone to them than via direct mode. If i then change the mode to custom, 1080p and color temp normal then everything looks the way it should again. So it appears the that the "through" setting is also setting a warmer color temp along with upscaling. Does anybody else see this behavior since the Onkyo uses the same video processor?

It's also possible your custom setting may be making the picture cooler. The only way to tell for sure would be to bypass the Onkyo entirely and run the HDMI directly to the TV from the source.

Clark
Clark Burk is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off