I just got a 5009 replacing a 5008 I had for two days replacing a 5007 I had for 2 years. The 5007 was great but lacked the hdmi1.4 so I had to upgrade. Got a good deal on the last 5008 in town, but once I started testing after about 4 hours of upgrading software, audyssey runs and other stuff, the center speaker produced white noise. At first this would go away after switching source or surround mode, but the second day of testing (factory reset, new audyssey run, changing speakers and cabling etc) the center noise just stayed all the time. I returned the unit and had to go for the 540 Euro more expensive 5009. Too bad I must say! I would have rather stayed with the 5008. The times I did not get the static noise, the 08 sounded great and the 09 doesn't do much better. I don't mind too much about NEO X and 4K, but I do mind not having lots of other stuff the 07 and 08 are having over the 09:
- HDMI Sub out produces no menu overlay <- cheap way of saving money
- Zone2 audio in a different room could be selected while still maintaining 7.2 with front speakers. Now I have to use speakers B for my different room thus loosing speakers A front in my main room unable to produce a valid 7.2. I am really unsure why Onkyo would do this. Selecting Zone2 to On, just prohibits you from using Front High speakers.
- I do like Audyssey Music and Movie options however the difference is minimal
- I like Neural surround on the 07 which I don't get anymore on the 09
- The volume knob and overall casing seems to be of less quality, but then everything Onkyo built after the 1000 / 5000e was of less quality however that saves big money since the 5000 was overly expensive. Still have that unit though because of the many speaker / video out and zone features it has.
So in short.. Very happy with my 5009, but for the money I would have rather stayed with the 5008.