The Official Sony STR-DH820 Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 85 Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, just bought a DH820 and we are still figuring it out, but having a lot of problem changing channels with the remote?

All we really need for now is the cable TV box (Virgin UK) and the Bluray (LG) running through to an LG HDTV.
We can change the channels fine on the front panel knob, but not with the remote.
Nor will the DH820 change channels from Bluray to Cable TV if the Bluray is not actually powered down.

Anyone any constructive thoughts? Most welcome.

Reggie V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 AM

And solved - it was the "Zone 2" remote problem.

Reggie V.
post #63 of 85 Old 07-17-2013, 03:24 PM

G'day Reggie,

The "Zone 2" remote issue has been dealt with earlier in this STR-DH820 thread.

I am wondering what method you used to reset the remote off zone 2?

Brian
post #64 of 85 Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 PM

This is my first post to AVS. Though, I've been a "lurker" for many years and have benefited greatly from the experienced views here.
I've had the Sony STRDH820 for quite a while now, but I'm obviously using the wrong speaker wire gauge.
My sub-woofer is fine (I don't have 2 of them yet) and I already have better than the recommended cable for the Polk sub, so it's working great.
My real problem (aside from the horrendous speaker connections - I mean, really? Sony couldn't pony up for some RCA jacks or even a crimp/pincher on the back of that unit?)...
Anyway, I have the 7.1 setup. The top two, I'm not worried about since they don't require much power anyway and my center channel is adequate (for now).
However, my other four speakers are troublesome and need more power. Which, my light gauge wire can not deliver.
-- For the main speakers, I'm using two [ Crate PS-115HP ] -- http://elderly.com/images/vintage/130U/130U-9622_front.jpg
-- For the rear surround, I'm using two [ Crate PE-12H ] -- http://img.mx.class.posot.com/es_mx/2013/09/12/Bafle-Crate-Pe-12h-20130912225614.jpg
[not my images - just posting for reference]
All four are 8ohms. PS-115HP = 125w Continuous-250w program, PE-12H = 100w.

So my question is, what is the proper gauge speaker wire that I should be using? 16awg, 14, 12?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif
post #65 of 85 Old 10-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EH578 View Post

This is my first post to AVS. Though, I've been a "lurker" for many years and have benefited greatly from the experienced views here.
I've had the Sony STRDH820 for quite a while now, but I'm obviously using the wrong speaker wire gauge.
My sub-woofer is fine (I don't have 2 of them yet) and I already have better than the recommended cable for the Polk sub, so it's working great.
My real problem (aside from the horrendous speaker connections - I mean, really? Sony couldn't pony up for some RCA jacks or even a crimp/pincher on the back of that unit?)...
Anyway, I have the 7.1 setup. The top two, I'm not worried about since they don't require much power anyway and my center channel is adequate (for now).
However, my other four speakers are troublesome and need more power. Which, my light gauge wire can not deliver.
-- For the main speakers, I'm using two [ Crate PS-115HP ] -- http://elderly.com/images/vintage/130U/130U-9622_front.jpg
-- For the rear surround, I'm using two [ Crate PE-12H ] -- http://img.mx.class.posot.com/es_mx/2013/09/12/Bafle-Crate-Pe-12h-20130912225614.jpg
[not my images - just posting for reference]
All four are 8ohms. PS-115HP = 125w Continuous-250w program, PE-12H = 100w.

So my question is, what is the proper gauge speaker wire that I should be using? 16awg, 14, 12?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif
I have the 830 and when I just installed it I used the 12 AGW multi strand from radio shack but it is
driving two 12" subs I installed in my main front side speakers/3 in one box. the DIY speaker area might do
a bit better answering but it should give you all the watts you want........
EH578 likes this.

my HT
post #66 of 85 Old 11-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post

I have the 830 and when I just installed it I used the 12 AGW multi strand from radio shack but it is
driving two 12" subs I installed in my main front side speakers/3 in one box. the DIY speaker area might do
a bit better answering but it should give you all the watts you want........

Thanks eaamon! I appreciate your reply. I think you're right, the 12awg should fix my problem.
post #67 of 85 Old 11-07-2013, 04:52 PM

I have been lurking here in the forums for quite some time and have learned a lot about the STR-DH820 since buying it a month ago. I found something tonight that has me puzzled.....

I have an Apple TV unit connected via HDMI to the "Video" input. I loaded the movie "Serenity" using Netflix, and was shocked when the main audio channel (center channel) started playing through the left surround speaker (rear left). I stopped and reloaded the movie, but each time had the same result. I've played several other movies via Netflix with the Dolby logo and they play as expected. And, using my Sony bluray player all movies play normally as expected. Any ideas? It would be awesome if someone could try and duplicate this behaviour by loading up the movie Serenity to see if its Netflix or my system.
post #68 of 85 Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just bought a Sony STR-DH820 (weds} and will have it by Fri.
I really only want it to use with a 37 inch lcd and a old Nitendo
But really want it for the wireless and VTUNER at my bed side.
I don't care about the wattage but feel for the $399 and free shipping from buy.com was not bad and getting another $50 off of it opening a citi credit card and another
12 with points ($12}
Final cost $337

I am sure I will be very happy when hooked up and throw away my Grace Wifi radio..............JT
post #69 of 85 Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogSpores View Post

I have been lurking here in the forums for quite some time and have learned a lot about the STR-DH820 since buying it a month ago. I found something tonight that has me puzzled.....

I have an Apple TV unit connected via HDMI to the "Video" input. I loaded the movie "Serenity" using Netflix, and was shocked when the main audio channel (center channel) started playing through the left surround speaker (rear left). I stopped and reloaded the movie, but each time had the same result. I've played several other movies via Netflix with the Dolby logo and they play as expected. And, using my Sony bluray player all movies play normally as expected. Any ideas? It would be awesome if someone could try and duplicate this behaviour by loading up the movie Serenity to see if its Netflix or my system.
my first question is, is this apple TV your usual way of watching netflix? or do you use the BR player or TV to watch netflix?

are you using HDMI 1.4a cable from it. and then do you have out put audio from your apple set to PCM or LPCM?

my HT
post #70 of 85 Old 11-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Yes, my apple tv is my primary source for Netflix access. Yes. I also have the correct HDMI cable version and my settings for the apple tv output is auto int he settings menu. I looked again at the apple tv settings and didnt see many options for changing the output other than auto or Dolby on, which i have enabled.
post #71 of 85 Old 11-10-2013, 09:04 AM

I came to this forum with same question you did.  

I'm pretty sure it is an issue with the 5.1 audio encoding of the movie on Netflix. The channel assignments seem all horqued up.  I get the same issue with this movie on Netflix whether I access it through AppleTV or my PS3.  Other movies are fine, it just seems to be an issue with Serenity.

post #72 of 85 Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM

I bought the 820 in Nov 11, and besides some minor issues (in like 8 ocassions when i turn it on, it starts, all the icons comes on, but there is no sound, when this happens i just let it rest for a few minutes) this is a very good receiver. The sound is kind of grungy, not as hissy as a pioneer or mellow as a Maruntz, but is a really good receiver and im happy with it. In other forums in europe there are great reviews about this receiver.
post #73 of 85 Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 AM

Hi All,

have strange problem with my HTPC ->AVR ->TV HDMI standby passthrough. It wors very insonsistent for me.
Setup is like this:

HTPC with ATI 6450 HDMI
AVR Sony STR HD740 (standby passthrough is set to auto / did it with on as well)
TV - LG42PG60

Connection like this -> HTPC HDMI connected to AVR BR HDMI, AVR TV HDMI OUT goes to TV HDMI.

Let assume the receiver is in standby.

If my turn on sequence is: turn on TV, wake up from standby HTPC - hdmi passthrough works, video, audio works all ok.
but if turn on sequence is: wake up from standby HTPC, turn on TV - hdmi passthrough does not work. no video, no audio.
I have to put my HTPC in sleep again and wake up it with TV on. after that the video is back.

Very strange for me, is it suppose to be like this or something should be configured to fix it?
post #74 of 85 Old 01-15-2014, 11:33 AM

Walkoffhomerun,

I know this thread is a few years old, but you look like you know a lot about Sony products. I have the Sony DH820 and currently have a 3.0 speaker setup. Would you recommend using the multi channel option, or the two channel/LPCM option. I don't have a sub at the moment. Thanks for the feedback!
post #75 of 85 Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 AM

Hi all!

I'm just looking to buy the DH820 but I've got some quetions... hope you guys can help me.

My 2.1 configuration will be: Sony STR-DH820 +Sony Bravia full-hd LCD 37W5500 + Q Acoustics 2010 (Front Speaker) + Indiana Line Subwoofer + Apple TV + WD TV Live + iPhone + ....

Will the DH820 fit well in my scenario? Can the DH820 output all kind of sources into a simple 2.1 configuration? Does it worth to spend for it (7.1 channels) or is there some other av receiver that I can consider?

How much should I pay for a second hand STR-820? I live in Italy.... all the european model has the English and/or Italian language to set up on the menu?

Thanks! And... sorry for the many questions. :-P

post #76 of 85 Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markino76 View Post

How much should I pay for a second hand STR-820? I live in Italy.... all the european model has the English and/or Italian language to set up on the menu?

I paid for a floor model 820 for about $150 USD last year. It came with zero accessories but did have the standard warranty though. I was able to order replacement remote control and setup microphone directly from Sony and it was surprisingly cheap and fast! Not bad for a receiver that is 5-6 years old!

I can't answer your other questions very well, but I believe it will downmix content (if even needed, it depends on the source) to 2.1 very well. It should have plenty of power for your speakers, does a good job with HDMI switching/passthrough in my experience, but the receiver is starting to show it's age in features. It will handle onboard decoding or LPCM from many sources, and has the standard Dolby True HD/ DTS -HD and down processing.

For upgrading to 7.1, this receiver will allow you to do so, and should be a good stepping stone. But when it's time to add more channels, I would consider moving to 5.1 first.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #77 of 85 Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 PM

Thnaks for response!

I don't think I'll upgrade my system to 5.1 because of the configuration of my room is not really goot I think to install correctly the rear speaker...

Anyway... I'm thinking to move to the DH820 from my little Denon M38 becuase I connect my TV to the Denon and I think the voice of the film is very low coparised to the other film's sound.

I don;t have experience in av so the only think I have is that when I play films from Apple TV and/or WD TV Live (connecteed to my TV) and output the sound to my Denom the voice channel is not managed well. Does it make sense?

Upgrading to the DH820 and connecting the sources to it instead of to the TV will give me better sound and fix my problem on the "voice channel" even if I have only 2.1 configuration?

I find a brand new item from Germany at around 300euro including shipping cpsts = around 410USD, can be a good buy or at that price I can get the new generation Sony av receiver? (My TV is Sony ravia so I'll stay on Sony)

What about tha possibility to change language on the DH820 menu and settings?

Really thanks guys!

post #78 of 85 Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 AM

Hi there everyone my first post here! I have a question about the Sony dh820.
Basically I have sky in hdmi 3 under sat/Catv. And on nd/tape I have a Bluetooth receiver for music. What I want to do is set up another input to have sky video and the Bluetooth audio so I see sky but hear music off my phone. Does anyone know if this is possible and how I go about doing it? Thanks any help would be appreciated.
post #79 of 85 Old 03-11-2014, 03:15 PM

Hello, I am trying to connect my laptop that has only dvi to the amp with dvi to hdmi cable and a 3.5mm to RCA for audio. The input assign option are not giving me any possibilities. Is this a possible endeavour?
post #80 of 85 Old 03-11-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
It should work if you use the Video1, Sat/CATV, or BD/DVD input since they have analog inputs for audio.

Afro GT
post #81 of 85 Old 03-11-2014, 03:34 PM

name="afrogt" url="/t/1357124/the-official-sony-str-dh820-thread/60#post_24469992"]It should work if you use the Video1, Sat/CATV, or BD/DVD input since they have analog inputs for audio.

[/quote]

Thank you for the speedy response!
post #82 of 85 Old 03-15-2014, 10:35 PM

Just got this receiver - so far, very happy with it. Granted, just getting into home theatre after ditching my soundbar. There is one thing Im pretty confused on, hoping someone can give advice and shed some light on this. I have been all over the forums and Google as well, trying not to waste anyones time.
My room set up isn't ideal for surround sound (nor are my kids), so Im running three speakers (Pioneer SP-FS52 on left and right, SP-C22 for center) with a Pioneer sub as well - all hooked up to the receiver. I feel pretty overwhelmed with the sound field options available, not sure what I should be running given my set up. Ive gone through several options (NEO, Multi Stereo, HD-DCS, etc;) and its really just difficult me to figure out which one is best, because feel like I could be missing something from these modes since I am not running a 5.1/7.1 set up. I did do the autocalibration with the supplied microphone, and my speaker setup in the menu does reflect 3/0.1 Could somebody please shed some light on what mode they believe would be best for me to run in, and any additional tweaks I should make? Appreciate any help!
post #83 of 85 Old 04-29-2014, 08:58 AM

I know its been a long time but I hope you got a solution for the Sony STR_DG820 . Mine reads only LPCM all the time. regardless of the component. How do I switch back to DD?

post #84 of 85 Old 05-06-2014, 03:50 AM

On the sony amp I have, if you go to the hdmi setting it says control for hdmi off or on. When I have used the ON option, the sound is muted, I then press mute button on my remote to get sound back on. Having it on the OFF option doesn't mute it. Hope this helps.

post #85 of 85 Old 06-05-2014, 04:17 AM

Got this new AV last weekend and currently hooked up to 2 Mordaunt Short speakers and one passive 12" 1000 watts sub (had to remove from my car) - 

I was playing with it over the weekend listening to subwoofer tests and it knocked the AV into "Protection" mode.

I could not increase volume up past 6. Had to reset it and disconnect the sub - now works great.

Tot i share - 

:)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Strdh820 7 2 Channel 3d Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page