~$300 receiver recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sure you guys get these posts often, but seeing as this will be the foundation of my first surround sound system, I would like some advice from knowledgeable members. After searching around on amazon and existing threads, I am considering the Denon 1611. I was also looking at the Sony STRDH820, as it was very popular on amazon, has an extra sub channel, and is cheaper, but searching through this forum, I have not seen much love for sony receivers. Why are sony's not popular here? (I don't necessarily support sony, I'm just curious why they are rated well on amazon and not here)

Basically, I would like some suggestions/advice for getting my first receiver on a budget of around $300. Thanks in advance for all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-30-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Sony just isn't a brand that you will see people recommend around here. Most people I've seen had a Sony receiver in the last few years and had bad experiences with them so they won't recommend them. Sony has some problems with quality control a while back and just never recovered for most people here. Also room correction is highly valued by a lot of members here and the version that Sony uses is not very good from what I've read. I have no recent experience with them but this is what I've noticed on AVS in regards to Sony receivers. I'm not sure why it would be so popular on Amazon other than just being the name is Sony. Sorry to give you a bunch of hearsay but that's just what I have noticed on this forum.

As far as the Denon, Audyssey does a good job for me so I would recommend the 1611. I have an older version (1508) that has been very solid and actually surprised me how loud it could get with little distortion.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-30-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by spddy101 View Post

I'm sure you guys get these posts often, but seeing as this will be the foundation of my first surround sound system, I would like some advice from knowledgeable members. After searching around on amazon and existing threads, I am considering the Denon 1611. I was also looking at the Sony STRDH820, as it was very popular on amazon, has an extra sub channel, and is cheaper, but searching through this forum, I have not seen much love for sony receivers. Why are sony's not popular here? (I don't necessarily support sony, I'm just curious why they are rated well on amazon and not here)

Basically, I would like some suggestions/advice for getting my first receiver on a budget of around $300. Thanks in advance for all help.

Is there any particular feature you want like 7.2, ipod connectivity, quality of GUI, multi-zone, etc?
post #4 of 9 Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

7.2 is definitely not a must-have, but if I were to get that sony, I would definitely go for the 7.2 because that model is still affordable and an extra sub would definitely be awesome. ipod connectivity is important to me as I will using the system to listen to music often. I don't really care about the quality of the GUI, I'm getting a receiver for good sound quality and functionality. Multi-zone, don't really care.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

7.2 is definitely not a must-have, but if I were to get that sony, I would definitely go for the 7.2 because that model is still affordable and an extra sub would definitely be awesome. ipod connectivity is important to me as I will using the system to listen to music often. I don't really care about the quality of the GUI, I'm getting a receiver for good sound quality and functionality. Multi-zone, don't really care.

You can always get a splitter for something like five dollars if you want to run a 2nd sub.

Since you want iPod connectivity, I would say a good choice, but not the only choice would be an Onkyo TX-NR509.

Here is a list of authorized dealers:

http://www.onkyousa.com/locations_intdealer.cfm
Also, ShopOnkyo might be running a Labor Day Sale, but buying a new unit on sale from an authorized dealer is typically about the same price.

There are others to consider, but this one springs to mind.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-30-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
7.2 on the Sony is not a big deal, as was said earlier a Y connector is less than $5 and will give any receiver the .2 connectivity.

I would definitely take the Denon over the Sony.

Afro GT
post #7 of 9 Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

You can always get a splitter for something like five dollars if you want to run a 2nd sub.

Since you want iPod connectivity, I would say a good choice, but not the only choice would be an Onkyo TX-NR509.

Here is a list of authorized dealers:

http://www.onkyousa.com/locations_intdealer.cfm
Also, ShopOnkyo might be running a Labor Day Sale, but buying a new unit on sale from an authorized dealer is typically about the same price.

There are others to consider, but this one springs to mind.

You say I should go for the onkyo because of ipod connectivity, but doesn't the denon also have a usb connector that can be used with an ipod?

Oh, and a side question, the 7.1 denon can be configured to use 5.1 if I don't yet have the back rear speakers, right?
post #8 of 9 Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
You can use a 7 channel receiver for a stereo if you like - the other 5 channels will sit idle. The Denon 591 is nearly the twin of the 1611 - just that it only has 5 channels - its a 5.1 receiver. With the 1611 you can add the back two channels at some point - with the 591 you can't. I don't know if the 591 is still available.

Even the lowest priced models have ipod connectivity - usually as an added extra.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 08-31-2011, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You say I should go for the onkyo because of ipod connectivity, but doesn't the denon also have a usb connector that can be used with an ipod?

Oh, and a side question, the 7.1 denon can be configured to use 5.1 if I don't yet have the back rear speakers, right?

I just mentioned the Onkyo as a good possibility at your price point.

Certainly, there are others.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page