AVS Forum banner
412K views 3K replies 480 participants last post by  billmich 
#1 ·
Starting with the RX-A710 which I will be receiving tomorrow and testing over Labor Day weekend.

AVENTAGE AV Receivers: Designed to Deliver the Highest Levels of Audio Performance

The AVENTAGE line of high-performance AV receivers is based on the audio design concept of providing a massive, full-bodied sound for movie sound effects and the accurate reproduction of music sources. By expertly harmonizing traditional and advanced technologies, every factor that affects sound quality, from materials and parts to construction, layout, vibration damping (unique A.R.T. Wedge foot) and fine-tuning the sound, is handled with no other thought than to achieve the best possible audio quality. As a result, every AVENTAGE model has the ability to reproduce the most subtle details of high-definition sound, so that listeners can enjoy a truly high-class sound studio experience at home.

A.R.T. Wedge Helps to Ensure that Vibrations Do Not Affect Sound Quality

The A.R.T. (Anti-Resonance Technology) Wedge is a fifth foot in the center of the unit. It dampens vibrations from the power transformer, power transistors and heat sinks, as well as vibrations that might be caused by the sound from the speakers. This elimination or reduction of vibration provides an audible increase in sound quality throughout the AVENTAGE Series.

Aluminum Front Panel Offers Visual and Aural Benefits

All of the AVENTAGE components feature the same sleek, clean design, with an elegant aluminum front panel and silky touch volume/selector knobs. The aluminum front panel is used to effectively shield sensitive circuitry from external noise and electronic energy generated by dimmer switches, fluorescent lighting, video monitors and so on. This ensures optimum sonic performance in the widest range of installation environments.

HDMI with 3D and Audio Return Channel

3D means the receiver can handle 3D signal data. The Audio Return Channel function enables data to be sent and received via the same HDMI cable, so you can hear the sound from the TV via a single HDMI cable, with no need for an extra optical cable.

Analog and HDMI Video Upscaling to Full HD 1080p

This AV Receiver will upscale video signals up to 1080p. HDTVs capable of 720p, 1080i or 1080p resolution can provide more detailed picture.

High Quality Video Processing with Edge Adaptive Deinterlacing

In ordinary deinterlacing, pixels in areas of movement are interpolated by upper and lower ranges. This causes jaggies in diagonal lines. Edge adaptive deinterlacing detects the direction of the line and interpolates the pixels optimally.

Network Functions

This AV receiver provides a variety of network functions that enable you to access more sources and also enhance operation. You can connect the receiver to a PC to enjoy Internet Radio, Pandora, Rhapsody, Sirius XM and Napster, and use a Web Browser Control. The AV Controller app lets you control various functions from your iPhone or iPad, etc.

AV Controller App for Easy, Convenient Operation

The AVENTAGE AV Receivers let you use the Yamaha AV Controller app, a free download from the iTunes App Store to control power on/off and volume, select input and DSP modes and operate other functions from an iPhone, iPad and other devices. An Android app will be available in the coming months.

USB Digital Connection for iPod and iPhone on the Front Panel

A USB port on the front panel allows convenient connection of an iPod/iPhone, which also charges when connected. Because the digital signal from the iPod/iPhone is transmitted directly to the AV receiver, there is no signal loss or interference, so you enjoy the best possible sound quality. In addition, you can use the receiver's remote control unit to operate the iPod/iPhone music playback functions.

YPAO Automatically Sets the Best Sound for Any Room

Yamaha's YPAO system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters, such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers and even the sound pressure level, etc. Until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room and you don't have to do anything!

SCENE for One-Touch Start

The Four SCENE buttons make operating the receiver easier than ever. They are initially set to default settings for BD/DVD Viewing, CD Disc Listening, TV Viewing and Radio Listening. Pressing a SCENE button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button. Other SCENE settings are also available, such as iPod Listening, SiriusXM Listening [model dependent], TV Sports Viewing and Action Game Playing. Browsing and selecting the settings is quickly accomplished by changing Input via the front panel and watching the on-screen display. The settings can be selected for one-time use, or they can replace the original default settings. The SCENE names can be changed also.

HDMI CEC for Easy Operation

Another benefit of HDMI is the availability of CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) functionality. When the unit is connected to a CEC compatible TV, it will turn on and off together with the TV, and you can use the TV remote to control the volume. CEC also provides advanced functionality with other components. For example, you can use the receiver's remote unit to control player functions like Skip and Stop.

*All connected devices must be HDMI CEC compatible. Some CEC compatible TVs/players may not work.

Input Selection in HDMI Standby Through Mode

When the AV receiver is in HDMI Standby Through mode, the input source (Blu-ray Disc player, game console, etc.) for viewing on the monitor can be changed via the remote control. There's no need to turn on the AV receiver in order to switch sources.

HDMI Front Panel Input

In addition to the large number of HDMI inputs on the rear panel, there is also one on the front panel. This gives you a convenient way to quickly plug in a digital camera or camcorder for highest quality pictures.

Advanced On-Screen GUI

Yamaha's latest Graphical User Interface (GUI) has a high resolution display with clear, easy-to-use menus and also includes a selectable Status Bar that shows input source, volume level, DSP mode and audio format. The GUI provides a choice of six languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Russian and Spanish, and can be displayed over both normal and 3D pictures.

Intelligent Amp Assign

Intelligent Amp Assign automatically assigns amplifier channels to certain speakers, depending on what functions are selected. For example, in a 7.1-channel system, when Zone 2 is off, all 7.1 channels will be used in the Main Zone. However, when Zone 2 is on, power to the two Surround Back channels will be directed to the two speakers in Zone 2, and the Main Zone will receive 5.1 channels of power. Similarly, when CINEMA DSP 3D is on, the two Front Presence speakers will be powered and not the two Surround Back speakers. When CINEMA DSP 3D is off, this situation is reversed. Thanks to Intelligent Amp Assign, there's no need to switch the speaker cables on the rear of the receiverone more way Yamaha makes your life a little easier.

HD Audio with CINEMA DSP 3D and Virtual Presence Speaker

CINEMA DSP 3D provides a wide, high and dense sound field. HD Audio format decoding lets you enjoy HD Audio sources. Virtual Presence Speaker delivers 3-dimensional sound without actual use of presence speakers. The actually measured sound field data contain the information of the height of the sound images. CINEMA DSP 3D mode achieves the reproduction of the accurate height of the sound images so that it creates the accurate and intensive stereoscopic sound fields in a listening room.

Compressed Music Enhancer

When music is encoded into a digitally compressed format like MP3, the frequency response suffers. Yamaha's Compressed Music Enhancer employs sophisticated digital signal processing using exclusive algorithms to restore what was lost, so the music always sounds the way it should.

Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)

Adaptive DRC automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialogue and vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials, and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening, when you do not want to disturb others.

Versatile Zone Control

Zone 2 on/off and control on front panel

Zone sleep and system sleep

Remote input/output

Programmable +12V trigger output

Low Standby Power Consumption

Yamaha makes its receivers eco-friendly with a low standby power consumption of 0.1W (2W in HDMI Standby Through mode).

Eco-Friendly Design with Selectable Auto Power Down

Auto Power Down lets you save energy by selecting to turn off the power after 4, 8 or 12 hours.

Optional Accessories for Added Convenience

Yamaha optional docks make it easy to enjoy your favorite music from your iPod or iPhone, with or without cables. Select from of the following models:

yAired Wireless Dock System YID-W10

Universal Dock for iPod/iPhone YDS-12

Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver YBA-10

Notable Audio Features

7-channel powerful surround sound

- 90W per Channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09 % THD, 2 ch driven)

- 105W per Channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 2 ch driven)

HD Audio format decoding: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio

Discrete amp configuration

Selected high quality parts to achieve optimum audio performance

Pure Direct for HD Audio and video enjoyment

Low jitter PLL circuitry helps optimize sound imaging

Detachable Power Cable for easier installation (also allows cable upgrade)

Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection

Intelligent assignable amplifiers for Surround Back - Front Presence or Zone 2

Notable Video Features

1080p-compatible HDMI: 8 inputs (1 on front) and 2 outputs

Supports Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, 24Hz Refresh Rate and Auto Lip-Sync compensation

Multi-cadence (incl. 3-2 pull-down) detection

HDMI with 3D and Audio Return Channel

Notable Advanced Features

DLNA 1.5 certified SIRIUS Satellite Radio ready

Audio input assign capability for HDMI and component video input

iPod/iPhone compatibility with optional YDS-12 Universal Dock

Wireless connection for iPod/iPhone with optional YID-W10

Bluetooth (A2DP) compatibility with optional Yamaha Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver YBA-10

iPod/iPhone song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display

Dialogue Lift

Audio Delay for adjusting Lip-Sync (0-250ms)

Preset remote unit

Background video feature (for tuner, Net, USB and SIRIUS Satellite Radio)

Notable Surround Realism Features

Virtual Presence Speaker function for CINEMA DSP 3D surround without Front Presence Speakers

Adaptive DSP Level

SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP

Note: The basic format of this thread was taken from the RX-V671 thread, but I felt like the AVENTAGE features were not being discussed there and wanted to split them out. I am hoping owners of this line of receivers will submit their $0.02 and find the information they are looking for easier. I know that personally I had a difficult time finding good reviews on this line of AVRs.

See less See more
#3 ·
I added a comparison list like I have done in the past, hope you don't mind.

Assume it has mistakes (and message me if you see any, will correct ASAP.)

[Jack counts show input and output as input/output]

Common Features

* "Advanced" On Screen GUI

* HDMI 1.4 Supporting 3D with Audio Return Channel; At least 6 HDMI inputs (including front panel)

* HDMI Standbye

* Analog to HDMI Conversion

* Analog and HDMI upscaling to 1080p (With edge adaptive deinterlacing)

* Front panel AV aux jacks and HDMI Jack

* YPAO (Auto setup and room correction)

* Network audio including Pandora, Rhapsody and Napster

* Sirius/XM

* iPod/iPhone connectivity with optional dock

* Multi-zone (At least one secondary zone)

* Front USB Input

* Component Video Jacks - 2/1

* Composite Video Jacks - 5/1 (Including front panel jack)

* 2/0 Optical S/PDIF (Digital audio)

* 2/0 Coax S/PDIF jacks (Digital audio)

* Stereo Analog jacks - 5/0

* Headphone output

* Low power standbye (Only 2 watts with HDMI standbye)

* Auto shutdown (Based on a user selectable timer)

* +12 volt amp trigger

[NOTE : Under additional features, assume higher models encapsulate additional

features from lower models (to avoid repeating information)]

RX-A710

- MSRP 650

- 23.6 pounds

17-1/8"x6-3/4"x14-1/2"

** 7.1 (7 amps, one sub out)

** Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 105W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)

** Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 90W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)

RX-A810

- MSRP 850

- 24.5 pounds

17-1/8"x6-3/4"x14-1/2"

** 7.2 (7 amps, 2 sub outs)

** Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 110W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)

** Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 100W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)

-- Additional Features

* Multi-point YPAO

* 8 HDMI inputs; 2 outputs

* 8 Channel Pre out (For connection to external amps(s)

* Party Mode

* RS-232C Interface

RX-A1010

- MSRP 1100

-33.3 pounds

17-1/8” x 7-1/8” x 17”

** 7.2 (7 amps, 2 sub outs)

** Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 120W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)

** Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 110W (8ohms, 0.06% THD)

-- Additional Features

* HD Radio

* Zone 2 output includes video output

* Front panel optical and S-Video inputs

* +2 Optical inputs; +1 optical output ( 4/1 total)

* +1 Digital coax input ( 3/0 total)

* +5 Stereo analog inputs ( 10/1 total)

* +2 Component video jacks ( 4/1 total)

* S-Video jacks - 5/1 (Including one front panel input)

* Multi-channel input (For SACD player with analog jacks, DVD Audio player, or multi-format player)

RX-A2010

- MSRP 1600

- 37.7 pounds

17-1/8” x 7-1/2” x 18-3/8”

** 9.2 (9 amps, 2 sub outs)

** Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 155W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)

** Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 140W (8ohms, 0.06% THD)

-- Additional Features

* More DSP modes (23 vs 17)

* YPAO with "Reflected Sound Control"

* Video adjustments (Such as brightness)

* Subwoofer remote control

* Third zone; GUI for Zone (With video connection for zone I assume?)

RX-A3010

- MSRP 2000

- 40.1 pounds

17-1/8” x 7-1/2” x 18-3/8”

** Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 165W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)

** Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 150W (8ohms, 0.06% THD)

-- Additional Features

* YPAO with "Reflected Sound Control" and Angle Measurement

* 11.2 channel pre outs

* 4th zone with optical

* Backlit remote control

#7 ·
Your post, in part:

RX-A2010

- MSRP 1600

- 37.7 pounds

17-1/8 x 7-1/2 x 18-3/8

** Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 155W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)

** Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 140W (8ohms, 0.06% THD)

-- Additional Features

* More DSP modes (23 vs 17)

* YPAO with "Reflected Sound Control"

* Video adjustments (Such as brightness)

* Subwoofer remote control

* Third zone; GUI for Zone (With video connection for zone I assume?)

RX-A3010

- MSRP 2000

- 40.1 pounds

17-1/8 x 7-1/2 x 18-3/8

** Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 165W (8ohms, 0.9% THD)

** Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 150W (8ohms, 0.06% THD)

-- Additional Features

* YPAO with "Reflected Sound Control" and Angle Measurement

* 11.2 channel pre outs

* 4th zone with optical

* Backlit remote control

Does this mean that with an external amplifier, with the A3010, one could have a 9.2 system going in the main listening area, plus at the same time 2 channels going in "Zone 2"? But that this would not be possible with the A2010? How would one control the volumes individually in the two different listening areas?

Also, just how important is the "Angle Measurement" in the YPAO one has on the A3010, which does not appear to be included on the A2010? Just what does the "Angle Measurement" do for you?

#8 ·
My initial impressions of the a710 are really good. I only got to fiddle with it for an hour last night but setup was really simple.

The new YPAO system is much quicker than my Pioneer 1018. Curiously the Yamaha setup my main speakers as large even though they are only 5" woofers if I recall and set my crossover to 120hz for the sub. The Pioneer set them up as small with an 80hz crossover. Regardless, the sound is good. Going to tweak the settings a bunch this weekend. The dynamic range control is not impressing me yet but I believe there is a way to fine tune it which I will be digging into for sure because we watch a lot of stuff while the kids are sleeping/napping although the HDMI passthru on standby may be our best choice there.

The remote is terrible. Buttons and text are way too small to read or easily find. Having separate buttons for every input is silly and takes up way too much space. Trying to figure out which DSP is currently selected and the whole STRAIGHT, DIRECT, PURE DIRECT, ENHANCED selection process is really confusing. The only caveat is the iPhone app. OMG this thing is awesome! Makes controlling this complicated mess truly simple. Love it! Probably going to end up throwing the old remote in the box and forgetting about it.

The on screen GUI is nice and makes setup much simpler. Updating the firmware was a snap and internet setup was a breeze. Pandora works beautifully and is soooooooo much more convenient than having to plug the iPhone into the USB port. Only downside is the settings seem to be all over the place. You would expect to go into SETUP and be able to set up everything from there but that's not the case. Took me a little while to find where everything is and then remembering that will be a challenge.

More on this story as it develops...

#9 ·
Cant wait to hear about the performance of the unit. I need to upgrade from my old Yamaha AV receiver. I've placed my order for the new Panasonic AE7000 and I need a new receiver. Looking forward to your review.

#10 ·
I'm struggling to review the a710 because really it just works. It's funny but the Pioneer it replaced needed constant fiddling of settings depending on the program or music playing. I haven't had to do that with the a710. Just adjust the volume and that's it. The SCENE buttons are great. Just dial in the sound how you like it for that input, hold the button for 3 seconds and you're done. I don't have a CD player so I set Pandora to the CD SCENE button. Awesome. It just works and works well. I can't compare it to other Yammies but against my Pioneer 1018 it's amazing. And that thing was pretty high mid end at the time. I couldn't live without the built in pandora or iPhone app now that I have them. I realize the 671 has those same features but for only $50 I've got an AVENTAGE. So worth it.

#11 ·
frooky; Did you know there's already a RX-A810 "Offical" thread?

IMHO...It's seems a little over kill to have the 710 810 1010 2010 and 3010 in the same "Offical" thread! Thinking it would be better for all to have the 710 and 810 in one thread and the 1010 2010 and 3010 in another! Even better if they all had there own.

just my 2cents...

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gce /forum/post/20904542

IMHO...It's seems a little over kill to have the 710 810 1010 2010 and 3010 in the same "Offical" thread! Thinking it would be better for all to have the 710 and 810 in one thread and the 1010 2010 and 3010 in another! Even better if they all had there own.

just my 2cents...

What I was attempting to do was to have a thread that compared the differences between all of this year's AVENTAGE line by having owners of each of the respective models chime in with their opinions on what features drew them to their particular model and what it was about the AVENTAGE line that made them pay the premium over the regular Yammies.

#14 ·
I am upgrading my RXV730, I have been looking at the RXV671 and RXA710 but I am having a hard time figuring out what is different between the two. I can get either one as it is only a five dollar difference on Amazon, does the RXA710 just have better circuitry.

Thanks,

Moneypitt

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypitt
I am upgrading my RXV730, I have been looking at the RXV671 and RXA710 but I am having a hard time figuring out what is different between the two. I can get either one as it is only a five dollar difference on Amazon, does the RXA710 just have better circuitry.

Thanks,

Moneypitt
Yamaha's website details the construction quality differences between the RXVs and AVENTAGE. The only selling point difference that mattered to me personally was the full size speaker terminals for zone2. That speaks to me of a beefier amplifier than the RXVs.

To answer the question above about the DRC, yes I like it a lot better than the Pioneer's. That's what I was getting at in the review about not needing to play with the settings constantly while I'm watching programming. Honestly I haven't watched much tv with it but movies definitely seem evened out soundtrack wise and dialog seems clearer without needing a special mode to enhance it.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by frooky
Yamaha's website details the construction quality differences between the RXVs and AVENTAGE. The only selling point difference that mattered to me personally was the full size speaker terminals for zone2. That speaks to me of a beefier amplifier than the RXVs.

To answer the question above about the DRC, yes I like it a lot better than the Pioneer's. That's what I was getting at in the review about not needing to play with the settings constantly while I'm watching programming. Honestly I haven't watched much tv with it but movies definitely seem evened out soundtrack wise and dialog seems clearer without needing a special mode to enhance it.
Thanks for the help.

Moneypitt

#20 ·

Quote:

...IMHO...It's seems a little over kill to have the 710 810 1010 2010 and 3010 in the same "Offical" thread! Thinking it would be better for all to have the 710 and 810 in one thread and the 1010 2010 and 3010 in another! ...

just my 2cents...

+1.

So is this considered the "owner's thread?" I was searching for the 1010/2010/3010 owner's thread when I found this one.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia /forum/post/20913129

So is this considered the "owner's thread?" I was searching for the 1010/2010/3010 owner's thread when I found this one.

Yes. I apologize for any confusion. Again my idea was to have owners review their specific model so people who were shopping for a new yamaha receiver would have a better idea which model would suit them from this year's lineup.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia /forum/post/20913129

+1.

If it comes down to 5 AVR's in 1 "owner's thread" its going to be totally confusing to get help with your "1" AVR...IMHO!!!

I don't know if the Mod's can doing about this, but if not we'll have to sort thru all the other 4 AVR's to get answers to the one we own!

#23 ·

Quote:

just my 2cents...

agree

#24 ·
I just recieved my RX-A710 and I am trying to figure out my speaker layout, I am using the B channel from my curant RX-V730 to power a Atlas ASL-6A

Atlas ASL-6A

http://www.performanceaudio.com/media/pdf/24/8129_s.pdf

I would like to keep the Atlas hooked up but also use the presence speakers, I don't think I would ever use the second zone to play a different source. so I was thinking about using the RX-V730 to power the Atlas, is there a way to run a signal from the RX-A710 audio out to the RX-V730 and make this work?

RX-V730

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model

#26 ·
I'm confused as to why the volume on my new A2010 is significantly lower than that of my 3800. The A2010 starts its volume measurement at -80. In order to get anywhere close to where my "normal" listening level is, I have to go all the way down to -20. To me, that's a HUGE margin. I can't even really hear anything until it gets to -50, and that's with sound just barely coming through. It doesn't make sense to me why this unit wouldn't start somewhere around, say, -30 (and really, is the whole "negative" numeric thing necessary? Why not just say "0" and go from there)?

I'm just not used to seeing the bar about 3/4 of the way to full volume, in order to hear something at the minimum. Am I missing something? Can someone please elaborate?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.