The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #3061 of 3085 Old 11-23-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Any 4k content that is copy protected (i.e., almost everything going forward) won't pass through these units.

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Looking to buy more Triad speakers. Got some to sell? Hit me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3085 Old 11-25-2015, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Any 4k content that is copy protected (i.e., almost everything going forward) won't pass through these units.

Sorry, but what does 'copy protected' have to do with these not passing through 4K content?

So, what are my options then for sound and yet not compromising my video quality? I have a 7.1 setup but if I bypass the HDMI on my receiver and go straight from my blu ray to the TV I can only use oiptical audio from the TVs mini one connect back to the receiver which is then only 5.1...... correct? Same for getting audio back to the receiver from Netflix, HULU, etc.?
post #3063 of 3085 Old 11-25-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barty88 View Post
Sorry, but what does 'copy protected' have to do with these not passing through 4K content?
HDCP 2.2 is necessary for most 4k/UHD content. Our generation of receivers does not have the hardware to support it. So most devices won't sent 4k video through our receivers.

post #3064 of 3085 Old 11-25-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
HDCP 2.2 is necessary for most 4k/UHD content. Our generation of receivers does not have the hardware to support it. So most devices won't sent 4k video through our receivers.
So, what are my options to wire for 4K video and still use the receiver for sound or is this receiver already obsolete?
post #3065 of 3085 Old 11-25-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, what are my options to wire for 4K video and still use the receiver for sound or is this receiver already obsolete?
My favorite solution is the Oppo type of solution, which is to have two HDMI outputs on a device. One output takes the high res audio to your receiver, and one output take the video to your display. (They don't make a UHD player yet, of course, but hopefully when they do they will use this technique.)

A second best option (if the player supports it) is multi-channel analog out for audio, and HDMI direct to the display.

So if you see any 4k devices with two HDMI outputs, that would be a good way to go. So far I don't think there are any.

I suspect but have not researched that there are splitters that can satsify the source device that things are compliant, and then give you two HDMI outputs, one of which you can use for audio.

There may be other solutions that I am unaware of, for sure, since I don't plan to research this until it becomes an issue for me (sometime after the introduction of UHD BluRay).

My guess is that this thread doesn't get enough traffic to find an answer. Maybe starting a general topic in this area of the forum on HDCP2.2 workarounds for audio might be more likely to generate info. (Or search.)

By the way, some 4k displays were sold without the HDCP2.2 capability, anyway, so won't display protected content, even if our receivers were compatible.

post #3066 of 3085 Old 11-25-2015, 01:42 PM

OK, I posted anew thread. My TV is a new Samsung JS8500 and that does do the HDCP2.2 to the best of my knowledge.

What about HDMI from Blu Ray Player to TV, component audio from Blu Ray to Receiver? Then I could use blu-ray player for streaming too, right?

Any chance this HDCP compatibility issue could be corrected through a firmware update via the ethernet port on the back of the receiver?

Am I getting this right?
post #3067 of 3085 Old 11-25-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What about HDMI from Blu Ray Player to TV, component audio from Blu Ray to Receiver? Then I could use blu-ray player for streaming too, right?

Any chance this HDCP compatibility issue could be corrected through a firmware update via the ethernet port on the back of the receiver?
I think the setup you describe, using analog audio out of the blu ray player, can work.

Alas, I'm 99% sure that the HDCP limitation is hardware, not software.

post #3068 of 3085 Old 12-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just had the HDMI output on my a3010 go out for a 2nd time. It went out after a storm when it was about 8-months old. Fixed. Now, 2-months out of warranty, it just up and quit sending HDMI out in the middle of a movie. It took a firmware update last week. Not sure if that's related, but I did see another post about that being a trigger for someone else. I'm hoping Yamaha will honor since it is so close to warranty. Will call on Monday.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #3069 of 3085 Old 12-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
Just had the HDMI output on my a3010 go out for a 2nd time. It went out after a storm when it was about 8-months old. Fixed. Now, 2-months out of warranty, it just up and quit sending HDMI out in the middle of a movie. It took a firmware update last week. Not sure if that's related, but I did see another post about that being a trigger for someone else. I'm hoping Yamaha will honor since it is so close to warranty. Will call on Monday.
Seems to be working intermittently now. Turned it on today it was fine for about 10 min, then went out. Power cycled and its been working for over two hours. Really odd.

post #3070 of 3085 Old 12-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Seems to be working intermittently now. Turned it on today it was fine for about 10 min, then went out. Power cycled and its been working for over two hours. Really odd.
Sounds like your HDMI cable may be going bad. Have you tried swapping it out with a known good one?
post #3071 of 3085 Old 12-13-2015, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Sounds like your HDMI cable may be going bad. Have you tried swapping it out with a known good one?
Its not the cable. Its almost never the cable. Cables don't go bad unless you have rodents chewing them, or have them bent too tightly. Not the case here. When the Yamaha acts up, taking the main cable straight to the source works perfect.

On the other hand, HDMI boards do go bad, and they do often... from heat, bad capacitors, stray voltage spikes, etc.

post #3072 of 3085 Old 12-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Its not the cable. Its almost never the cable. Cables don't go bad unless you have rodents chewing them, or have them bent too tightly. Not the case here. When the Yamaha acts up, taking the main cable straight to the source works perfect.

On the other hand, HDMI boards do go bad, and they do often... from heat, bad capacitors, stray voltage spikes, etc.
Most cables do not go bad. However, HDMI cables do. I once had an intermittent problem with my Apple TV. Someone mentioned that it might be a bad HDMI cable. I doubted it but swapped it out. To my surprise, it was a bad HDMI cable. So I won't argue with you about what your issue may be, I was just trying to offer a possible solution. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
post #3073 of 3085 Old 12-14-2015, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Most cables do not go bad. However, HDMI cables do. I once had an intermittent problem with my Apple TV. Someone mentioned that it might be a bad HDMI cable. I doubted it but swapped it out. To my surprise, it was a bad HDMI cable. So I won't argue with you about what your issue may be, I was just trying to offer a possible solution. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
Thanks. I usually try to swap all cables to be sure, but this is a ceiling projector setup. The main cable is a good quality redmere cable and it has not given me any problems in 3 years of use. It is hard to 'swap out', but I usually try to hook the source straight to main cable feeding the projector and if that works, I deduce that something else is the issue. I actually tried a different input on my projector and with yesterday's testing, it seemed to be more reliable. So, it is possible one of the inputs on the projector is starting to go bad. I am going to keep testing and hope that the issue becomes more clear. Right now, it is unpredictable and frustrating.

post #3074 of 3085 Old 12-19-2015, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
RXA810 FLAC file playback from NAS only plays the first few seconds of song.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

A file that played perfectly yesterday will only play the first 12 seconds before stopping. Like the rest of the song isn't there.

I can play the entire song through my RXV-677 model just fine. I can also play it through a laptop just fine.

I have removed the file from the NAS and replaced it with the backup file. No difference.

I have rebuilt the media library on the NAS. No difference.

This problem is happening with one track only. It can be selected from either a tablet or using the remote. No difference.

I unplugged the receiver for a minute and plugged it back in. No difference.

I don't know what else to try. I'm baffled.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

-B

Edit. Purchased the same flac file from a different album and same results, but the song would play for 25 seconds instead of 12 before stopping as if it was over. Both tracks still play fine with the other two devices. It's like this amp has a hate for this particular song. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out why. It's like there is a disagreement between the song length between the NAS and the AVR.

Edit. Sort of talking to myself here, but to fix it I had to convert the FLAC to a WAV (which played fine) then converted the WAV back to FLAC to get all my tags back into the tablet app. The final FLAC file is so far playing just fine. Makes no sense, but working.

Last edited by bbusse; 12-20-2015 at 12:14 PM.
post #3075 of 3085 Old 12-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. I usually try to swap all cables to be sure, but this is a ceiling projector setup. The main cable is a good quality redmere cable and it has not given me any problems in 3 years of use. It is hard to 'swap out', but I usually try to hook the source straight to main cable feeding the projector and if that works, I deduce that something else is the issue. I actually tried a different input on my projector and with yesterday's testing, it seemed to be more reliable. So, it is possible one of the inputs on the projector is starting to go bad. I am going to keep testing and hope that the issue becomes more clear. Right now, it is unpredictable and frustrating.
So, a week+ after swapping to the other HDMI input on my projector, I haven't seen any of the problems that I was experiencing last weekend. Seems pretty conclusive that the problem was not with the Yamaha, but with the Epson projector. That is somewhat of a relief because the projector seems to be doing fine on the other input. However, I know that it may just go at any time, leaving me with a semi worthless projector. I may be able to use it with component cables, but I'm not sure if the Yamaha will transcode from HDMI to component output. I'll be checking the manual if the other HDMI becomes a problem.

EDIT: Just did a quick check. The answer is no, the A3010 will not convert HDMI to component.
Scarriere likes this.

Last edited by billbillw; 12-21-2015 at 12:14 PM.
post #3076 of 3085 Old 12-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 130
PICK YOUR BRAINS - 2nd source of audio thru my Yammy RX-A1010?

Hello fellow thread members. I wanted to pick your brains a bit...especially those that are RX-A1010 owners/users. My son had an interesting request the other day and I am trying to make it happen for him. He would like for us to be able to play a song (Hail to the Redskins) through our 7.2 sound system WHILE we are watching a game on the PJ in our media room. I obviously have an input on my Yammy set as "Verizon FiOS" which then outputs to my PJ. Is there any way to utilize my Yammy so that I can leave the DVR/PJ input on and still play music through my 7.2 system?

Right now to play music in our room we switch the input mode on the Yammy to "SONOS" and then just dial up the albums/songs thru the Sonos Connect (via iTunes). But the second I switch the input to SONOS, I obviously lose the DVR signal/PJ picture. So essentially I'd be playing the song with a blank, blue screen projecting on the screen. No bueno.

Does anyone know of a way to somehow bypass this or will I just have to settle for having a small SONOS Play 1 on the snack ledge and pull the song up that way each time?

I have never utilized Zone 2 on my AVR but is it possible that I might be able to utilize that somehow?

Also, dropping another in-wall speaker (and wiring it) somewhere in the room should be fairly easy considering my access above the ceiling. But I need something to be able to feed that speaker ON DEMAND...right after a score. It would be nice to be able to play the song INSTANTLY somehow after pushing just one button to trigger it (perhaps using a programmed remote, etc.). Purchasing another AVR or receiver is out of the question, that's too much money just to play a song after a TD.

I consider myself a fairly technologically savvy person...but this one has me stumped. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Link to my room and my gear is below in my signature line...thanks in advance...

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
post #3077 of 3085 Old 12-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Since you are willing to run another speaker, zone 2 is an option. With a 2nd zone you would be able to leave your main zone on and play a separate audio source at the same time. You could then control it from a tablet or mobile phone using the Yamaha app which is free and quite easy to use. I have a 2010 and I have three zones running at the same time when I have BBQ's.

Last edited by pappaduke; 12-29-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Double post
post #3078 of 3085 Old 12-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
Hello fellow thread members. I wanted to pick your brains a bit...especially those that are RX-A1010 owners/users. My son had an interesting request the other day and I am trying to make it happen for him. He would like for us to be able to play a song (Hail to the Redskins) through our 7.2 sound system WHILE we are watching a game on the PJ in our media room. I obviously have an input on my Yammy set as "Verizon FiOS" which then outputs to my PJ. Is there any way to utilize my Yammy so that I can leave the DVR/PJ input on and still play music through my 7.2 system?

Right now to play music in our room we switch the input mode on the Yammy to "SONOS" and then just dial up the albums/songs thru the Sonos Connect (via iTunes). But the second I switch the input to SONOS, I obviously lose the DVR signal/PJ picture. So essentially I'd be playing the song with a blank, blue screen projecting on the screen. No bueno.

Does anyone know of a way to somehow bypass this or will I just have to settle for having a small SONOS Play 1 on the snack ledge and pull the song up that way each time?

I have never utilized Zone 2 on my AVR but is it possible that I might be able to utilize that somehow?

Also, dropping another in-wall speaker (and wiring it) somewhere in the room should be fairly easy considering my access above the ceiling. But I need something to be able to feed that speaker ON DEMAND...right after a score. It would be nice to be able to play the song INSTANTLY somehow after pushing just one button to trigger it (perhaps using a programmed remote, etc.). Purchasing another AVR or receiver is out of the question, that's too much money just to play a song after a TD.

I consider myself a fairly technologically savvy person...but this one has me stumped. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Link to my room and my gear is below in my signature line...thanks in advance...
Since you are willing to run another speaker, zone 2 is an option. With a 2nd zone you would be able to leave your main zone on and play a separate audio source at the same time. You could then control it from a tablet or mobile phone using the Yamaha app which is free and quite easy to use. I have a 2010 and I have three zones running at the same time when I have BBQ's.
AnnapolisSony likes this.
post #3079 of 3085 Old 12-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion pappaduke. Introducing 1 (or 2) small speakers into the room to create my 2nd zone seems to be my only economical option at this point. It is nice knowing that the RX-A1010 is capable of playing 2 diff sources to two diff zones AT THE SAME TIME. I just quickly skimmed thru the manual online about Zone 2. I am not at home to look but I am almost certain that my SONOS Connect is connected via my AV3 or AV4 digital optical IN (for my main zone). The back of the SONOS Connect has 1 digital optical out, 1 coax out and the ol' red/white analog out.

Do you know off hand if I will be able to run a digital signal to Zone 2 or is it analog only? On page 76 of the manual it states that "only analog audio signals can be output to Zone 2." Is that definitely the case? If that is the case, then I would have to run analog red/white cables (I don't even own a pair) from my SONOS to the Yammy. Am I correct in saying that I would need to assign the input that I choose so that it knows to send that source to Zone 2 only? I would obviously leave my digital optical cable in place because I already have an assigned input for SONOS when I listen to music in my main zone.

For reference here is a photo of the back of the A1010:

Thoughts?

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2

Last edited by AnnapolisSony; 12-30-2015 at 10:15 AM.
post #3080 of 3085 Old 12-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion pappaduke. Introducing 1 (or 2) small speakers into the room to create my 2nd zone seems to be my only economical option at this point. It is nice knowing that the RX-A1010 is capable of playing 2 diff sources to two diff zones AT THE SAME TIME. I just quickly skimmed thru the manual online about Zone 2. I am not at home to look but I am almost certain that my SONOS Connect is connected via my AV3 or AV4 digital optical IN (for my main zone). The back of the SONOS Connect has 1 digital optical out, 1 coax out and the ol' red/white analog out.

Do you know off hand if I will be able to run a digital signal to Zone 2 or is it analog only? On page 76 of the manual it states that "only analog audio signals can be output to Zone 2." Is that definitely the case? If that is the case, then I would have to run analog red/white cables (I don't even own a pair) from my SONOS to the Yammy. Am I correct in saying that I would need to assign the input that I choose so that it knows to send that source to Zone 2 only? I would obviously leave my digital optical cable in place because I already have an assigned input for SONOS when I listen to music in my main zone.

For reference here is a photo of the back of the A1010:

Thoughts?
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it is analog only with the 1010/2010/3010 models to other zones. Later versions may do digital but I'm not certain. I use an inexpensive digital to analog converter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Optical-Coax...torefresh=true
Something similar to this one is what I use from my Apple TV to my AV2 input. It can then be selected for zones 2 or 3 or both. Hope this helps.
post #3081 of 3085 Old 12-30-2015, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it is analog only with the 1010/2010/3010 models to other zones. Later versions may do digital but I'm not certain. I use an inexpensive digital to analog converter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Optical-Coax...torefresh=true
Something similar to this one is what I use from my Apple TV to my AV2 input. It can then be selected for zones 2 or 3 or both. Hope this helps.
Roger that. I believe I have this whole problem figured out. I've got two in-ceiling rear surrounds that hardly have any impact at all on the surround system in my theater (due to their location behind a long bulkhead/plenum that cuts my room in half). So, I may just hook my rear surrounds to Zone 2 (they are not driven by an amp like my front three speakers anyway) and test it out that way. It does not look like I'll need a digital-to-analog converter since I've already got RCA OUTS on the rear of my Sonos Connect. I'll play around with it this evening and see what I get. Thanks again for the input.

post #3082 of 3085 Old 12-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Roger that. I believe I have this whole problem figured out. I've got two in-ceiling rear surrounds that hardly have any impact at all on the surround system in my theater (due to their location behind a long bulkhead/plenum that cuts my room in half). So, I may just hook my rear surrounds to Zone 2 (they are not driven by an amp like my front three speakers anyway) and test it out that way. It does not look like I'll need a digital-to-analog converter since I've already got RCA OUTS on the rear of my Sonos Connect. I'll play around with it this evening and see what I get. Thanks again for the input.
No problem. Someone once helped me with the converter issue. I'm just paying it forward as they say. That's why the forums are here.
post #3083 of 3085 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does A 2010 support Dolby Atmos. I am on the latest firmware 1.76.
How do i configure it for 5.1.2
i have bi-amped the front speaker
post #3084 of 3085 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
post #3085 of 3085 Old Today, 02:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgupta1969 View Post
No Atmos.
Biamping has no benefit. Use those 2 speakers outs to drive 2 more speakers.
nathan_h likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A710bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A810bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread