The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 2936 Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjeep44 View Post

After doing a lot of research I'm very close to purchasing the RX-A2010. I have some specific goals so before I buy I need to know if this will fit my needs...

I want to run 3 zones. Zone 1 will be a 5.1 setup in the living room, Zone 2 will be a 2 channel setup on my porch, and Zone 3 will be a 2 channel setup in my bedroom. I specifically want to be able to stream my Itunes library from my laptop to all 3 zones simultaneously (party mode) or just to the zones I choose (like the porch and living room, or just the bedroom, or whatever combination). I also want to be able to do all this using the Android app on my phone from any room. The receiver will have a wired connection, my laptop with my music library connects to the network via wireless. From my research I'm thinking this receiver can accomplish all these goals. Am I missing anything?

Thanks

IMHO, you have the bases covered.

I just setup my A2010 yesterday with a very similar setup to yours (5.1 with two additional zones.) I'm using a NAS, running Twonky and on a wired network, to stream the music library and it works very well. I doubt a wireless connection would make a difference given the low bandwidth required for music.

Since I have an iPad I haven't tried the Android app but I actually prefer using the web-interface instead of the app because of the big icon for "Party" and the master volume control for Party mode, which is something I haven't figured out how to program into a Harmony remote (so far.)

Anybody have any luck getting a remote programmed to act as a master volume while in Party mode? Currently I can control zones but nothing as simple as the web-interface.
bluechunks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 2936 Old 03-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Newbie
 
edudfoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Not unexpected with DTV DVRs, especially when playing recorded content. You might reduce it by using optical for audio instead of HDMI. This has been an issue with DTV for as long as I can remember, and they always blame it on the channel provider. FWIW, Dish has the same issues.

One of the reasons I went to the A710 was to get HDMI output from my receiver. I was having the same drop out problems from my RX596 and I was using optical. The dropouts I am getting are almost all from the DVR and they are less then the optical from my other unit.

I was wondering, those that use there receivers for there TV programs, do you have a favorite setting for sound. I am using the direct surround setting. It works well and the surround sound is much better then my past unit, but I was wondering if anyone has a better setting they are happy with.

Thanks
edudfoor is offline  
post #453 of 2936 Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Member
 
rockjeep44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chattanooga TN
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

IMHO, you have the bases covered.

I just setup my A2010 yesterday with a very similar setup to yours (5.1 with two additional zones.) I'm using a NAS, running Twonky and on a wired network, to stream the music library and it works very well. I doubt a wireless connection would make a difference given the low bandwidth required for music.

Since I have an iPad I haven't tried the Android app but I actually prefer using the web-interface instead of the app because of the big icon for "Party" and the master volume control for Party mode, which is something I haven't figured out how to program into a Harmony remote (so far.)

Anybody have any luck getting a remote programmed to act as a master volume while in Party mode? Currently I can control zones but nothing as simple as the web-interface.

Very cool. Thanks for that info
rockjeep44 is offline  
post #454 of 2936 Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
gorman42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moving from a problematic Onkyo 3007, I'm thinking about the 3010.
  1. Is it fast in HDMI handshaking?
  2. Does it produce clicks on source switching?
  3. Is it capable of passing through a video signal untouched (HTPC use)?
  4. How does its YPAO compare to the latest Audissey one finds in the Denon 4311?

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
gorman42 is offline  
post #455 of 2936 Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 PM
gce
Senior Member
 
gce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Anaheim CA
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by edudfoor View Post

I was wondering, those that use there receivers for there TV programs, do you have a favorite setting for sound. I am using the direct surround setting. It works well and the surround sound is much better then my past unit, but I was wondering if anyone has a better setting they are happy with.

Thanks

I use Straight if the broadcast is in 5.1 DD and Standard DSP if not...sounds great!
gce is online now  
post #456 of 2936 Old 03-10-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,167
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post

Moving from a problematic Onkyo 3007, I'm thinking about the 3010.
  1. Is it fast in HDMI handshaking?
  2. Does it produce clicks on source switching?
  3. Is it capable of passing through a video signal untouched (HTPC use)?
  4. How does its YPAO compare to the latest Audissey one finds in the Denon 4311?

1. Well I don't know what your definition of fast is, but there is some delay when switching sources. A second or two but it is not bothersome to me anyway.

2. I have not heard any, but if it does it not as obnoxious as my Onkyo 507 which clicks loudly when switching sources and audio programs.

3. Yes it has a straight mode were it does not do anything to the signal except decode the audio, leaving the video portion alone.

4. Sorry can't help there as I have not used my YPAO yet, but I have not heard of anyone really saying bad things about it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #457 of 2936 Old 03-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
SMO5007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How cool do the 1010 and 2010 run? I'm thinking about getting either one of these AVR's to use as a preamp for my XPA5. Currently using a Denon 4308ci. What do you guys think about using the 1010 or 2010 as a preamp?? I know I have already started a thread but thought I might get more comments and suggestions here.
Do the HDMI boards get hot/ warm??
I know previous onkyo's you could fry an egg on one of those.
SMO5007 is offline  
post #458 of 2936 Old 03-11-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,167
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post

How cool do the 1010 and 2010 run? I'm thinking about getting either one of these AVR's to use as a preamp for my XPA5. Currently using a Denon 4308ci. What do you guys think about using the 1010 or 2010 as a preamp?? I know I have already started a thread but thought I might get more comments and suggestions here.
Do the HDMI boards get hot/ warm??
I know previous onkyo's you could fry an egg on one of those.

I have my 1010 in a well ventilated rack and it is basically right now a preamp as I am running my LCR off a XPA 3. My surrounds aren't hooked up ATM and I can tell you that my unit runs very cool. It does warm up as all electronics do but it does not get "HOT" at all. Not like the Onkyo's do.

Good luck, you won't be disappointed at all going with either the 1010 or the 2010.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #459 of 2936 Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
SMO5007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I have my 1010 in a well ventilated rack and it is basically right now a preamp as I am running my LCR off a XPA 3. My surrounds aren't hooked up ATM and I can tell you that my unit runs very cool. It does warm up as all electronics do but it does not get "HOT" at all. Not like the Onkyo's do.

Good luck, you won't be disappointed at all going with either the 1010 or the 2010.

Regards,

RTROSE

How does the xpa 3 sound with the 1010?? Are you happy with the sound?
I'm glad that it runs cool, and thanks for the response. Did you read the review on the 1010 in Home Theater that just came out? They gave it a stellar review for sonics but lacking in the video department. What are your thoughts and impressions on the 1010? What AVR were you using before?
My set up:
Denon 4308ci
Emotiva xpa5
polk rti a9's
polk csi a6
polk in-walls
velodyne ct-120 (rebuilt amp/after market subwoofer-diamondaudio macdaddy-for those who know what these are)
pioneer elite dvd
panasonic blu-ray
fat PS3
Sony 55" led
SMO5007 is offline  
post #460 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Senior Member
 
deathinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need help deciding which receiver to get. Aventage 1010,2010 or 3010 .
I am going to use my Av for 90% movies 10% music. I would like to listen to music in my kitchen and outdoors too. I dont know if any of the aventage have a function where I can play pandora wireless from my phone to the AV or vice versa. I have a sony vpl-vw70 1080p projector w 110" screen. I see that the 2010 has the HVQ Vida chip. Does is really enhance the image quality? I have herd that it even makes 1080p movies look better. Btw I have a HTPC with about 600 movies the majority compressed to 13gb-9gb will the HQV make them look like Blu-ray ISO files? Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Av123 Onix Rockets RS1000 , AV123 RSC200 BIGFOOT, B&W WM6 White, Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2
DIY Stereo Integrity SI 18" Subwoofer X2, HTPC Running XBMC 14TB , Roku HD Player
Sony VPL-VW70 Pojector, Xbox 360 250GB, Yamaha RX-V573
deathinc is offline  
post #461 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,167
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post

How does the xpa 3 sound with the 1010?? Are you happy with the sound?
I'm glad that it runs cool, and thanks for the response. Did you read the review on the 1010 in Home Theater that just came out? They gave it a stellar review for sonics but lacking in the video department. What are your thoughts and impressions on the 1010? What AVR were you using before?
My set up:
Denon 4308ci
Emotiva xpa5
polk rti a9's
polk csi a6
polk in-walls
velodyne ct-120 (rebuilt amp/after market subwoofer-diamondaudio macdaddy-for those who know what these are)
pioneer elite dvd
panasonic blu-ray
fat PS3
Sony 55" led

I had not read the review until just now. Here is another review HERE. I am not worried about the 1010's video side (processing wise) as I am running all HD sources so there is no need for the 1010 to do anything to the HD signal.

I'm running the following equipment in my setup.

Dish 622 HD satellite receiver
Oppo 93 BR player
XPA-3
APC J10 Power conditioner/battery backup
Ascend Sierra Towers/center
Ascend 170 SE as surrounds and zone two
Epson 8350 projector on a DIY 115" screen
Rythmik FV15HP sub

Yes the XPA-3 and the Yamaha play very nicely together I love the sound I'm getting and even at extended listening at higher volumes the unit stays cool and my ears are not fatigued. I do not have any complaints with the 1010 to this point. I am still setting up my theater so there are some things that I have not had the chance to use yet, such as my surround speakers (mounts back ordered) or YAPO. I came from a Klipsch Quintet system with an Onkyo 507. I did not ever have the Onkyo in the theater setup as my theater setup is separate and new setup. The Onkyo and Klipsch's are still all hooked up in the media room.

I think as with everything there are always compromises but with the 1010 it is an excellent bang for the buck receiver that delivers a lot for the money. I have gotten far more use out of the PC and internet streaming than I thought I would and the GUI and menus are pretty good. As these receivers get even more complicated, it takes a little more effort to get the peak performance out of any of the newer AVR's by looking at the manual and (gasp) resorting to following the directions in the manual. That is the weakest point with the Yamaha, the manual is somewhat confusing and hard to follow. Overall I'm very very happy with the 1010.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #462 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathinc View Post

Btw I have a HTPC with about 600 movies the majority compressed to 13gb-9gb will the HQV make them look like Blu-ray ISO files? Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The HQV chip is good, but not that good.

It's just really hard to go from a 25/50GB disc via re-encoding to 9GB without losing something that you can't get back, particularly when projected onto a large screen. That said, the A2010 has replaced an external dedicated video processor (DVDO Edge) in my setup. If you really want to fine-tune the video processing options, however, the A3010 offers deeper menu options for the HQV than the A2010. YMMV.
bluechunks is offline  
post #463 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Member
 
mld218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at upgrading my old RX-V1000 receiver and have been looking at the RX-A1010 and RX-A2010. From what I have read and understand the main differences to be between the 2 are:
2010 provides with an extra zone, and extra 30 watts per channel, and enhanced video processing.

I'm curious as to how much of a difference 30 watts per channel will make?

At some point I will run speakers outside so I can see myself using 2 zones but probably not ever 3 zones.

I would hate to pull the trigger on the 1010 and be disappointed and always wondering if I should have gotten the 2010.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Mike
mld218 is offline  
post #464 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ovation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. Hubert, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mld218 View Post

I am looking at upgrading my old RX-V1000 receiver and have been looking at the RX-A1010 and RX-A2010. From what I have read and understand the main differences to be between the 2 are:
2010 provides with an extra zone, and extra 30 watts per channel, and enhanced video processing.

I'm curious as to how much of a difference 30 watts per channel will make?

At some point I will run speakers outside so I can see myself using 2 zones but probably not ever 3 zones.

I would hate to pull the trigger on the 1010 and be disappointed and always wondering if I should have gotten the 2010.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Mike

I went back and forth between the A1000 and A2000 and finally went with the A1000. 30 watts will make no audible difference, except (perhaps) at the extreme end of output (slightly more headroom before clipping--maybe). I did not see the need with my other gear for extra video processing (my projector is very good at that already).

I did already have an Anti-mode 8033c, though, which made the A2000's EQ for the subwoofer unnecessary (YPAO does not EQ subs below the A20x0 series), so that factored into my decision. I came out ahead (even with the cost of the 8033 factored in) by a couple of hundred dollars and I have better sub EQ than currently available on any Yamaha AVR.

If I did not have an 8033, I likely would have gone with the A2000, but its other extra features, to me, were not a big deal.
Ovation is online now  
post #465 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
SMO5007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I had not read the review until just now. Here is another review HERE. I am not worried about the 1010's video side (processing wise) as I am running all HD sources so there is no need for the 1010 to do anything to the HD signal.

I'm running the following equipment in my setup.

Dish 622 HD satellite receiver
Oppo 93 BR player
XPA-3
APC J10 Power conditioner/battery backup
Ascend Sierra Towers/center
Ascend 170 SE as surrounds and zone two
Epson 8350 projector on a DIY 115" screen
Rythmik FV15HP sub

Yes the XPA-3 and the Yamaha play very nicely together I love the sound I'm getting and even at extended listening at higher volumes the unit stays cool and my ears are not fatigued. I do not have any complaints with the 1010 to this point. I am still setting up my theater so there are some things that I have not had the chance to use yet, such as my surround speakers (mounts back ordered) or YAPO. I came from a Klipsch Quintet system with an Onkyo 507. I did not ever have the Onkyo in the theater setup as my theater setup is separate and new setup. The Onkyo and Klipsch's are still all hooked up in the media room.

I think as with everything there are always compromises but with the 1010 it is an excellent bang for the buck receiver that delivers a lot for the money. I have gotten far more use out of the PC and internet streaming than I thought I would and the GUI and menus are pretty good. As these receivers get even more complicated, it takes a little more effort to get the peak performance out of any of the newer AVR's by looking at the manual and (gasp) resorting to following the directions in the manual. That is the weakest point with the Yamaha, the manual is somewhat confusing and hard to follow. Overall I'm very very happy with the 1010.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks for your input and answering my questions....I'm glad that the 1010 and xpa3 mate well with each other. I'm still on the fence, on which unit to get....have to do some thinking....
Smo
SMO5007 is offline  
post #466 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
SMO5007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mld218 View Post

I am looking at upgrading my old RX-V1000 receiver and have been looking at the RX-A1010 and RX-A2010. From what I have read and understand the main differences to be between the 2 are:
2010 provides with an extra zone, and extra 30 watts per channel, and enhanced video processing.

I'm curious as to how much of a difference 30 watts per channel will make?

At some point I will run speakers outside so I can see myself using 2 zones but probably not ever 3 zones.

I would hate to pull the trigger on the 1010 and be disappointed and always wondering if I should have gotten the 2010.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Mike


I would hate to pull the trigger on the 1010 and be disappointed and always wondering if I should have gotten the 2010.

Thats how I always feel...but I'm leaning towards the 2010. It is 500 more. It's larger and has a better HDMI board. I won't be using the AMP section to drive my 5.1, but down the run maybe zone1 or 2...still have some thinking to do.
SMO5007 is offline  
post #467 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,167
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post

I would hate to pull the trigger on the 1010 and be disappointed and always wondering if I should have gotten the 2010.

Thats how I always feel...but I'm leaning towards the 2010. It is 500 more. It's larger and has a better HDMI board. I won't be using the AMP section to drive my 5.1, but down the run maybe zone1 or 2...still have some thinking to do.

I'm curious about this to what you mean? I was under the impression that the 1010, 2010, and 3010 shared the same footprint size wise and where did you get that the 2010 has a better HDMI board? I know the video processor is better but was not aware the actual HDMI board was better. If so then how?

I only ask because I thought I compared the the three pretty well and was unaware of the differences you point out.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #468 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Member
 
mld218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am leaning more towards the 2010 also, part of the reason is the ability to do the eq on the sub.
mld218 is offline  
post #469 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Senior Member
 
SMO5007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
what i meant is the 2010/3010 have better HDMI board because of HQV which the 1010 does not. Also the 2010/3010 up converts analog video (composite, s-video, and component) to 1080p via HDMI. Thats what I gathered from home theater's recent review of the 1010 and sound and vision's review of the 2010. Sorry for the confusion.
SMO5007 is offline  
post #470 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
 
SMO5007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
what are you using as an AVR now MLD? Have you checked out newegg?
SMO5007 is offline  
post #471 of 2936 Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,167
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post

what i meant is the 2010/3010 have better HDMI board because of HQV which the 1010 does not. Also the 2010/3010 up converts analog video (composite, s-video, and component) to 1080p via HDMI. Thats what I gathered from home theater's recent review of the 1010 and sound and vision's review of the 2010. Sorry for the confusion.

Gotcha, no worries. I was just scratching my head a little. That is my understanding as well. We're on the same page then.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #472 of 2936 Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Newbie
 
Midwest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned my 810 for about 3 weeks now and have been very happy overall. Have many been using the Extra Bass setting under the speaker configuration menu? I know it is personal preference, but for TV and Movies in our Family Room I like the setting, but when listening to music the bass seems too boomy and it is too much of a pain to switch back and forth for movies/TV vs music.

Any thoughts?
Midwest is offline  
post #473 of 2936 Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Member
 
mld218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post

what are you using as an AVR now MLD? Have you checked out newegg?

I am currently using a yamaha RX-V1000 that is about 10 years old. Still works but I'm looking for something newer. I've been doing alot of research the last month or so primarily looking through crutchfield for all the specs and user manuals. I've read some things about the Onkyo's and Denon's that consern me, and since I have had 2 Yamaha's for years firgue I should stick with what has worked. I also like that the Yamaha's have more options for digital inputs and an optical output.
mld218 is offline  
post #474 of 2936 Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Member
 
JDEaston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest View Post

I have owned my 810 for about 3 weeks now and have been very happy overall. Have many been using the Extra Bass setting under the speaker configuration menu? I know it is personal preference, but for TV and Movies in our Family Room I like the setting, but when listening to music the bass seems too boomy and it is too much of a pain to switch back and forth for movies/TV vs music.

Any thoughts?

I don't have the same model as you but mine also has the extra bass feature. Sometimes I like it other times I hate it, so I don't use it often. I believe its only meant to be used if you don't have a sub capable of handling all of your lower frequencies. It sends a lot the lower end of your lfe channel to your left and right channels which can lead to dialogue bleeding through to those channels even if its meant for the center channel only. Depending how close you sit to your tv you may or may not notice it. I notice much better separation with my left and rights set to small and let the sub handle all of the low end. I do occasionallly use it for music depending on the genre.
JDEaston is offline  
post #475 of 2936 Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Member
 
mld218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a quick question for those of you that have these receivers. If I connect a device with an HDMI cable only to the receiver, am I still able to get audio from that device if I plug headphones into the receiver?

The only reason I am asking is I saw somewhere in this thread that optical audio out only works for those components you used optical in for. That HDMI audio will not be output through the optical output port.

Thanks
Mike
mld218 is offline  
post #476 of 2936 Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
SMO5007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mld218 View Post

I am currently using a yamaha RX-V1000 that is about 10 years old. Still works but I'm looking for something newer. I've been doing alot of research the last month or so primarily looking through crutchfield for all the specs and user manuals. I've read some things about the Onkyo's and Denon's that consern me, and since I have had 2 Yamaha's for years firgue I should stick with what has worked. I also like that the Yamaha's have more options for digital inputs and an optical output.

I been strictly a Denon Onkyo guy, but just pulled the plug on the 2010 from newegg.....I hope im happy. I've been so used to the denon 4308 for a while now...im happy though....
SMO5007 is offline  
post #477 of 2936 Old 03-13-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ovation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. Hubert, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mld218 View Post

I have a quick question for those of you that have these receivers. If I connect a device with an HDMI cable only to the receiver, am I still able to get audio from that device if I plug headphones into the receiver?

The only reason I am asking is I saw somewhere in this thread that optical audio out only works for those components you used optical in for. That HDMI audio will not be output through the optical output port.

Thanks
Mike

I get audio from my headphones when I listen to CDs played via my PS3 connected by HDMI.
Ovation is online now  
post #478 of 2936 Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Member
 
mld218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

I get audio from my headphones when I listen to CDs played via my PS3 connected by HDMI.

Thanks, I didnt think it would be an issue, but just making sure.
mld218 is offline  
post #479 of 2936 Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
SMO5007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can some please verify that there is a Stereo mode for strictly two-channel music listening?
Currently my Denn 4308 has stereo, direct, and pure direct.

Thanks guys
Just ordered the 2010!!!! Can't wait.
SMO5007 is offline  
post #480 of 2936 Old 03-13-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cr136124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post

Can some please verify that there is a Stereo mode for strictly two-channel music listening?
Currently my Denn 4308 has stereo, direct, and pure direct.

Thanks guys
Just ordered the 2010!!!! Can't wait.

Yep!
cr136124 is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A710bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A810bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - A2010 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off