The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2928 Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

I'm considering the 2010 and have a couple of questions that are not answered in the manual which I am reading.

I do not turn on my projector to listen to and change stations from Internet radio music or to access setup menus but do use a small analog tv with yellow composite video input to access these from source components and my Onkyo receiver in my current system.

Is the analog video output of the 2010 active along with the HDMI output?

And I know that I can change channel levels from the setup levels from auto calibration on the fly with the remote but does it go back to the auto calibration levels when I turn the receiver off (as it does with my Onkyo)?

Thanks.

Shelly

I have the same question on the channel levels. I just picked up a 3010 and got it up and running today. I was hoping that changing levels on-the-fly was temporary and after a power cycle it would revert back to what they were set to with the calibration. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case as the on-the-fly level trims (i.e., not accessing the setup menu) are retained after a power cycle. At least that's what is happening with mine and I've yet to find an option that makes it temporary.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2928 Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if this should go in the receiver section or the Sub section so here goes.

I haven't used my subwoofer in a long time in what used to be my main room simply because I usually forgot to turn it on and I never thought I had it tuned properly. My sub is an older F Servo Velodyne either 10 or 12 in I recently redid my basement and added a new Yamaha 2010 receiver this past weekend so my basement has now become my main room. I moved my sub down to the basement but feel like I am struggling to get it set properly.

My front and center speakers are Infinity Beta 20's which are rated down to 55 I believe. My surround speakers are definitive tech 800's.

My room is about 18 feet wide, 12 feet deep and about 8 ½ feet high. I am able to close off the room to those dimensions except for the steps leading upstairs which are all the way to the left of the room if you are facing the tv and stereo. My biggest issue, I think is that I am very limited as to where I place the sub due to other furniture in the room in addition to the sub maybe being too powerful for the room. Currently it is to the left of the room about 2 feet from the back wall under my desk and 2 feet from the left wall. I can't push it back any further because of the back of the desk.

When I went to run the YPAO setup, I had the sub set to half and the crossover set to max just like the manual instructed. I ended up getting a sub level of -9.5 and from reading other posts I knew I should turn the sub down and rerun the process. I ran a few more times and kept moving the volume on the sub down by 1 with not much of a difference. Currently, the sub setting is at 2 (out of 10) and my measurments from the YPAO are:

Front Left 0.0
Front Right -0.5
Center 4.5
Surround Left -6.5
Surround Right - 6.5
Sub -9.0 even with a volume set at 2.0

(My seating area is right near the surround speakers so that is why they are at -6.5.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help
Mike
post #543 of 2928 Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

I have the same question on the channel levels. I just picked up a 3010 and got it up and running today. I was hoping that changing levels on-the-fly was temporary and after a power cycle it would revert back to what they were set to with the calibration. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case as the on-the-fly level trims (i.e., not accessing the setup menu) are retained after a power cycle. At least that's what is happening with mine and I've yet to find an option that makes it temporary.

You're able to save multiple settings whether you choose scenes or ypao settings. The 3010 is a monster and you should request a paperback manual from Yamaha. It will make it easier finding out about many functions like saving scenes and multiple ypao settings on the fly.

I do believe there is a write protection function as well on the 3010, but you haven't activate it so changes aren't saved after alteration power cycle.
post #544 of 2928 Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

I do believe there is a write protection function as well on the 3010, but you haven't activate it so changes aren't saved after alteration power cycle.

Are you saying that any changes in speaker levels done on the fly will not be saved as the default once the receiver is powered off and on again? That it will revert back to the original calibrated speaker levels?

This would be my preference.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #545 of 2928 Old 03-22-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mld218 View Post

When I went to run the YPAO setup, I had the sub set to half and the crossover set to max just like the manual instructed. I ended up getting a sub level of -9.5 and from reading other posts I knew I should turn the sub down and rerun the process. I ran a few more times and kept moving the volume on the sub down by 1 with not much of a difference. Currently, the sub setting is at 2 (out of 10) and my measurments from the YPAO are:

You may be dealing with a room mode that indicates a need to move the sub. Move around the room while listening to bass-rich material, does the apparent sub output change a lot? If moving it is not an option, try reversing the sub's phase.

If you're not familiar with the operation called "the sub crawl", look it up and use it to try to find the best placement for the sub.

Otherwise, your channel levels do not appear to be all that odd. If it winds up sounding OK, don't sweat it.
post #546 of 2928 Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you saying that any changes in speaker levels done on the fly will not be saved as the default once the receiver is powered off and on again? That it will revert back to the original calibrated speaker levels?

This would be my preference.

Shelly

I believe this function exists in my 3010, but not sure about the 3000. I've seen a write protection mode buried somewhere in my menu and read this function will keep settings only temporary.

Are you having problems with ypao setting speaker levels to low for you during testing that's forcing you to edit the values afterwards? A temp fix would most likely be to set up some scenes and scroll through at will.

People claim there's not a lot of diferences between the 3000 and 3010. Hardware wise they are about equal with a new channel section added and a few tweaks here in there, but it looks like some portions of the GUI and menu do change these receivers a bit, including being able to turn off onscreen volume control. It's odd Yamaha can't control that from a previous model with a simple software update.

Shelly, I hope you can resolve this, but in the meantime, consider setting up some scenes for the time being. Should end a little bit of the frustration for you.
post #547 of 2928 Old 03-22-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You may be dealing with a room mode that indicates a need to move the sub. Move around the room while listening to bass-rich material, does the apparent sub output change a lot? If moving it is not an option, try reversing the sub's phase.

If you're not familiar with the operation called "the sub crawl", look it up and use it to try to find the best placement for the sub.

Otherwise, your channel levels do not appear to be all that odd. If it winds up sounding OK, don't sweat it.

Excellent advise and you beat me to it! I have also heard someone suggest placing the sub where you sit and then you move around the room so see where you hear the sub the most. Kind of like the sub crawl in reverse.

Sounds as though it might be close to a corner so that will also affect/effect the sub as well.

I have to deal with the same thing as I notice as I walk around my room there are several places where the sub has a different "feel" to it.

How does it sound to you at the level it is at. Too boomy, to soft, just right? I have learned that you can perform all the voodoo magic you want but if it does not sound right or feel right to you then it's not right.

You might want to post in the owners forum for the sub as they might have some other suggestions for you as well.

Regards,

RTROSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #548 of 2928 Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 PM

When it was at the setting the YPAO suggested it was definately too soft. The combination of the sub being set at 2 and the level at -9 just destroyed the bass. I decided tonight to simply turn the sub up to half way and then start moving the level around until I found something that sounded right to my ears. Currently I have the sub at half and the level set to -3.5 and the bass might be a tad heavy but definately better than where it was before. I haven't tried any movies yet though.
post #549 of 2928 Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mld218 View Post

When it was at the setting the YPAO suggested it was definately too soft. The combination of the sub being set at 2 and the level at -9 just destroyed the bass. I decided tonight to simply turn the sub up to half way and then start moving the level around until I found something that sounded right to my ears. Currently I have the sub at half and the level set to -3.5 and the bass might be a tad heavy but definately better than where it was before. I haven't tried any movies yet though.

Yeah, I actually like two different settings for music and movies. For music I actually like a little more subdued bass as I think it is more "true" to the actual sounds musical instruments make (not talking techno type music though) and a little hotter for movies for the LFE impact of explosions and what not. I do find though that my FV15HP by Rythmik is a great sub for both music and movie LFE. Best of both worlds IMO.

Good luck with your setup.

Regards,

RTROSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #550 of 2928 Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe this function exists in my 3010, but not sure about the 3000. I've seen a write protection mode buried somewhere in my menu and read this function will keep settings only temporary.

Are you having problems with ypao setting speaker levels to low for you during testing that's forcing you to edit the values afterwards? A temp fix would most likely be to set up some scenes and scroll through at will.

People claim there's not a lot of diferences between the 3000 and 3010. Hardware wise they are about equal with a new channel section added and a few tweaks here in there, but it looks like some portions of the GUI and menu do change these receivers a bit, including being able to turn off onscreen volume control. It's odd Yamaha can't control that from a previous model with a simple software update.

Shelly, I hope you can resolve this, but in the meantime, consider setting up some scenes for the time being. Should end a little bit of the frustration for you.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Setting separate Scenes makes the most sense.

I like different speaker levels for music and movies in my large 15' x 28' room. For movies, I use a +2 over the 75db setting for my left and right back wall speakers as well as +2 for my center, but like all speakers at 75db for music. Scenes it is.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #551 of 2928 Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been reading the manual to learn more about the A2010 which is at the top of my list.

With my current Onkyo receiver, I can over lay DPLIIx on to any DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 movie sound track to use both my side surrounds and my back wall surrounds for a 7.1 sound.

With the A2010, would just choosing Spectacle or Sci-Fi et al from the available movie sound modes automatically activate all 4 surrounds for a 7.1 or can I (must I) over lay DPL IIx on to it?

Thanks.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #552 of 2928 Old 03-24-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been reading the manual to learn more about the A2010 which is at the top of my list.

With my current Onkyo receiver, I can over lay DPLIIx on to any DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 movie sound track to use both my side surrounds and my back wall surrounds for a 7.1 sound.

With the A2010, would just choosing Spectacle or Sci-Fi et al from the available movie sound modes automatically activate all 4 surrounds for a 7.1 or can I (must I) over lay DPL IIx on to it?

Thanks.

Shelly

Thats a tough question Shelly. You have to use The DSP's and finding the correct one will take patience. I use sci fi for a lot of my listening modes. There's no guarantee all of the speakers will be utilized however. The yahama makes that decision based on your room size, number of speakers, etc. This will require you to use ypao. Effectively, the dsp can also act as if more speakers are active, when infect they are not. Yamaha has been at this a number of years and does a pretty damn good job with it.
post #553 of 2928 Old 03-24-2012, 11:31 AM
gce

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I have the A810 Hooked up and running everything Audio. When I watch TV I have Adaptive DRC set to ON. I want it set to off when I use Scene CD but when I program Scene CD button with DRC to OFF it doesn't save it. It just stays at what it was set in the previous operation.

Is there any way I can push one scene and DRC is ON and another and DRC is off? If not I can just program my Harmony with the Option button and do it manually. It would be nice just to go to CD and it was set to OFF tho
post #554 of 2928 Old 03-25-2012, 07:46 AM

With the A2010 is it possible to bi-amp the front speakers and then power a 2 channel system off zone 3?
post #555 of 2928 Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

I have the A810 Hooked up and running everything Audio. When I watch TV I have Adaptive DRC set to ON. I want it set to off when I use Scene CD but when I program Scene CD button with DRC to OFF it doesn't save it. It just stays at what it was set in the previous operation.

Is there any way I can push one scene and DRC is ON and another and DRC is off? If not I can just program my Harmony with the Option button and do it manually. It would be nice just to go to CD and it was set to OFF tho

I believe that option has to be toggled independently.
post #556 of 2928 Old 03-25-2012, 09:01 AM
gce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post

I believe that option has to be toggled independently.

Yeah, I can see Option menu on the front panel of the 810 so I don't need the TV/display on to change it. Just added option to my Harmony to change it manually. Thanks JD!
post #557 of 2928 Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:

You're able to save multiple settings whether you choose scenes or ypao settings. The 3010 is a monster and you should request a paperback manual from Yamaha. It will make it easier finding out about many functions like saving scenes and multiple ypao settings on the fly.

Thanks. I've configured the Details menu in the Scenes, however there is no Scene option for saving speaker levels on the 3010 that I can find. The "Speaker" settings in Scenes only has options to save speaker Parameter and one of the PEQ/YPAO options. I tried setting the speaker levels then saving the Scene, but the levels don't save (i.e., I change them again, then load the relative scene and the Levels are not reverted back to what they were when I saved the scene).

As for the write protect, I'm also not able to find this in the menus or going through the manual. Do you know for sure if the 3010 has it? I do know there is a Memory Guard function, this is the same function that has existed in my prior 3 Yamaha flagship units. It basically locks the Setup menu to prevent making any changes to it and other options like on-the-fly speaker level adjustments with the Level button of the remote. I've gone through the manual and couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

post #558 of 2928 Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:

I was looking for this as well on the 810 as I was considering one for a second setup. It doesn't look like this option is available until the 1010 model and up as on these models it is there in the Scene > Load > Details submenu under "Sound". However, the Sound option is not included on the 810 according to the manual.

post #559 of 2928 Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post

Moving from a problematic Onkyo 3007, I'm thinking about the 3010.
  1. Is it fast in HDMI handshaking?
  2. Does it produce clicks on source switching?
  3. Is it capable of passing through a video signal untouched (HTPC use)?
  4. How does its YPAO compare to the latest Audissey one finds in the Denon 4311?

I decided to pull the trigger. So far the experience is flawless and the automatic setup produced a far better sound than what I got out of the Audyssey in the Onkyo 3007. Like, I can't believe how better and tighter everything sounds. I've always thought that Audyssey was supposed to be better.

Btw, just read that on the 3000 it was impossible to get rid off the onscreen volume display adjustments. I can't believe this, I'm so lucky to have gone with the 3010, it's something that would have driven me totally nuts.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #560 of 2928 Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There's discrete codes for both ADRC On and ADRC Off. By looking around you can find workarounds that help you getting them on your Harmony. In case you fail finding info, feel free to PM me, I'll be glad to help.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #561 of 2928 Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itallushrt View Post

With the A2010 is it possible to bi-amp the front speakers and then power a 2 channel system off zone 3?

bueller....anyone, anyone?

Guess I should have provided a bit more detail. Is it possible in a 5.1 setup to bi-amp the front speakers and then power 2 speakers off of zone 3?

The manual only talks about bi-amp with a 7.x setup.
post #562 of 2928 Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 AM

I am thinking of buying a A2010. Is it worth the money compared to A1010?

I currently have a Marantz SR6006. I'm looking for more power mainly. And build quality. I want the front to be aluminium etc.

So please, convince me to get either 1010 or 2010!
post #563 of 2928 Old 03-26-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

bueller....anyone, anyone?

Guess I should have provided a bit more detail. Is it possible in a 5.1 setup to bi-amp the front speakers and then power 2 speakers off of zone 3?

The manual only talks about bi-amp with a 7.x setup.

I'll check for you but I will need to go home to check. I think though if memory serves that Zone 3 is preamp only. I know on my 1010 if I use presence speakers I forgo the "powered" option for my zone 2. I have the 1010 and I compared the 1010 and 2010 and this was one of the differences I noticed.

Stand by and I'll let you know what I come up with.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #564 of 2928 Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Thanks RTRose. However, according to all documentation the 2010 offers a powered zone 2 and 3 which leads me to believe that what I'm trying could work.
post #565 of 2928 Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
gce

Quote:

Thanks RTRose. However, according to all documentation the 2010 offers a powered zone 2 and 3 which leads me to believe that what I'm trying could work.

It does look like it would work on the 2010 & 3010 because they are 9.2 as the 1010, 810 & 710 are 7.2.
post #566 of 2928 Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Well here is where the infamous Yammy manual is less than helpful. It shows that with a 7ch bi-amp that the Extra sp1 connection is used for the bi-amp which would leave the second "Extra sp2" to power the second zone, in theory it would work as you are not using any more amp than you would for a 9 ch setup but there might be something internally that gets shut down if bi-amp setup is selected. I guess that someone with a 2010 would have to try to set it up this way to see if it would actually work. I don't think that the "regular" amps are assignable otherwise you would be golden because you are using less amps than the Yammy has anyway.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #567 of 2928 Old 03-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Thanks again RTRose. My thoughts echo yours in that I suspect that by enabling bi-amp it would shut down some circuitry. I'll call Yamaha unless someone else has tried this or can.
post #568 of 2928 Old 03-27-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaborg View Post

So I recently got the RX-810 and have paired it with Energy Take Classic 5.1. I am no audiophile, however one thing I have noticed is that sound through HDMI inputs sound softer at the same volume level than through the USB (iPhone) or PC or internet streaming.

I would think since they are all digital signals, the volume should not be affected. But HDMI input volumes (through Xbox, cable box, or blu ray player) definitely sound softer as well as not as open sounding. Am I doing something wrong? I have gone through the sound calibration process already.

Thanks for any feedback.

Faced with the same issue - however I wonder if an option exists to increase input volume per source? I remember my old Denon used to have an option to increase/decrease volume per input by +/- 3dB. Can any Yamaha gurus shed some light on this?

Thx
post #569 of 2928 Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmu16 View Post

Faced with the same issue - however I wonder if an option exists to increase input volume per source? I remember my old Denon used to have an option to increase/decrease volume per input by +/- 3dB. Can any Yamaha gurus shed some light on this?

Thx

Yes you can adjust input levels.
post #570 of 2928 Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post

Yes you can adjust input levels.

Thanks for that JDEaston - could you please point me in the right direction re: menu option this darned function is hidden in? For the life of me I cannot seem to find it. Yamaha really need to employ a professional writer to sort out the instruction manual - its terrible!!
Much thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A710bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A810bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - A2010 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page