The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bumping my rx-a810 questions from before (sorry!). But re-phrasing them very simply:

1. Is it bad for the amplifier/receiver to daisy chain two front 8ohm speakers per channel? I am considering doing this in lieu of having front presence speakers, so that I can free up my zone two. Also, does anyone have an opinion on how different that will sound compared to the standard 7.1 setup with Front Presence? FYI, I am not running any rear surround speakers at all.

2. Can anybody recommend a streaming solution that allows me to stream ALL audio from my computer(s) through my wifi network? Not just files, but all audio that comes out of my machine's sound card? Using Messmo now, but it won't allow me to stream Spotify, for example (I don't think). I also use music production software and want it to come out of my zone 2 speakers when I work on digital music.

Any tips much appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooperstyle View Post

Bumping my rx-a810 questions from before (sorry!). But re-phrasing them very simply:

1. Is it bad for the amplifier/receiver to daisy chain two front 8ohm speakers per channel? I am considering doing this in lieu of having front presence speakers, so that I can free up my zone two. Also, does anyone have an opinion on how different that will sound compared to the standard 7.1 setup with Front Presence? FYI, I am not running any rear surround speakers at all.

2. Can anybody recommend a streaming solution that allows me to stream ALL audio from my computer(s) through my wifi network? Not just files, but all audio that comes out of my machine's sound card? Using Messmo now, but it won't allow me to stream Spotify, for example (I don't think). I also use music production software and want it to come out of my zone 2 speakers when I work on digital music.

Any tips much appreciated...

Daisy chaining them will raise impedance to 16ohms, which is fine. Running them parallel to your other speakers from the avr itself will drop impedance to 4ohms. Neither should damage your reciever,it can handle a 4ohm load. But to reduce strain I would jump them off your other left and rights.
post #723 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post

Daisy chaining them will raise impedance to 16ohms, which is fine. Running them parallel to your other speakers from the avr itself will drop impedance to 4ohms. Neither should damage your reciever,it can handle a 4ohm load. But to reduce strain I would jump them off your other left and rights.

This is very helpful. Thanks. Actually, what I intend to do is jump the connectors together at the wall jack since I already have wired the F presence and main front speakers through the walls. Are you saying that if I do it that way, I am gonna be at 4ohms?? Wouldn't that be the same as running both directly from the AVR? Thanks.
post #724 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok..Just purchased a RX-A710 Aventage 2 hours ago. Seems like some disappointment as I read this thread. Did I make a mistake in ordering this AVR?
post #725 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post

Frankly I think the easier solution would get to make your network better. On mine I've never had a single problem with WASAPI.

Actually I do have a decent network - however, I do too much on my network (lots of file copies) that mess things up! :P I do have two local networks at home so I really should configure to use the other one dedicated to music.

This Pure Direct thing doesn't bother me at all actually - I prefer to have my sub take over from my mains anyways - I am just merely curious about the crossover kicking in when it shouldn't in Pure Direct.
post #726 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM

Just got the RX-A3010

Fantastic receiver. But I noticed something REALLY weird. As soon as I turn on a device connected to the receiver through HDMI, volume and sound quality drops. Why is this? Very annoying. I have my TV connected as a monitor to my receiver. When I turn it on, sound quality and level drops drastically. When I turn it off its fine.

I have my source coming from HDMI (into AV1) and then 1 output goes to the TV. Thats it. Is there a setting i've missed? Tried everything...
post #727 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantzmar View Post

Ok..Just purchased a RX-A710 Aventage 2 hours ago. Seems like some disappointment as I read this thread. Did I make a mistake in ordering this AVR?

I have the a710.
What are you disappointed in and I'll post my comments. This thread confused the hell out of me because you have posts of hating and loving right next to eachother
post #728 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Lindrian: Could it have something to do with ARC being enabled with the TV hooked up to Output 1? (Audio Return Channel)
post #729 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

Lindrian: Could it have something to do with ARC being enabled with the TV hooked up to Output 1? (Audio Return Channel)

I just changed to output 2 on the receiver (no ARC if I recall correctly) and now it sounds much better... Why is this? Can't I use ARC? It's a nifty feature, but not at the price of sound quality like this.

Edit:
That did not do it entirely. I can still hear an audible difference... Don't get me wrong, it got a lot better, but still not perfect...
post #730 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEaston View Post

Each individual setup needs its own tuning. Running ypao is a good start, but one of the things I like about ypao is that you can tweak it to no end even after it has been ran.

I just want to add as an additional tip for anyone who wants to tweak their system even more, you can copy a YPAO EQ (i.e., YPAO-Natural) to the "Manual" EQ option. Then, you can select Manual as your EQ and tweak the PEQ even further for each channel.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #731 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindrian View Post

Just got the RX-A3010

Fantastic receiver. But I noticed something REALLY weird. As soon as I turn on a device connected to the receiver through HDMI, volume and sound quality drops. Why is this? Very annoying. I have my TV connected as a monitor to my receiver. When I turn it on, sound quality and level drops drastically. When I turn it off its fine.

I have my source coming from HDMI (into AV1) and then 1 output goes to the TV. Thats it. Is there a setting i've missed? Tried everything...

Mine doesn't do this and arc doesn't work for me through my Samsung d8000. If you could list out your settings on the avr, it would help us. Make sure the enhancer and adaptive drc are off. It's under sound options.
post #732 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Mine doesn't do this and arc doesn't work for me through my Samsung d8000. If you could list out your settings on the avr, it would help us. Make sure the enhancer and adaptive drc are off. It's under sound options.

I've tried the non-arc hdmi port on the TV too. Same result. I've turned HDMI control off.

Which settings do you want?

In the "Sound options"-menu I have the following settings:
Adaptive DRC: off
Cinema DSP 3d mode: ---
Dialogue lift: ---
EXTD Surround: Auto
Volume Trim 0.0db
Enhancer: off
Video adjustment: ---
Audio Select: auto

Do you need any more settings?
post #733 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itallushrt View Post

It certainly sounds like it!

Sooo... Is anyone capable of confirming "VHD1900 features six axis color control, with independent adjustment of any color's hue, saturation and intensity." as advertised by Yamaha? Or is this false advertising as I fear and itallushrt confirms?

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #734 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I've tried the non-arc hdmi port on the TV too. Same result. I've turned HDMI control off.

Which settings do you want?

In the "Sound options"-menu I have the following settings:
Adaptive DRC: off
Cinema DSP 3d mode: ---
Dialogue lift: ---
EXTD Surround: Auto
Volume Trim 0.0db
Enhancer: off
Video adjustment: ---
Audio Select: auto

Do you need any more settings?

Are oyu using any dsp's or have you ran ypao? Also, if you check my post from yesterday, I outline how to do a system reset. Also, did you download the latest firmware?

It's quite possible you need to return it for another. I had one of the first shipping units and my receiver has been flawless. Absolutely no issues with sound quality.
post #735 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Are oyu using any dsp's or have you ran ypao? Also, if you check my post from yesterday, I outline how to do a system reset. Also, did you download the latest firmware?

It's quite possible you need to return it for another. I had one of the first shipping units and my receiver has been flawless. Absolutely no issues with sound quality.

Sound Program is "Straight". I have ran YPAO. YPAO-settings are there when the TV is on and off so that should not matter.

Yes, I have the most recent firmware.

Do you really think it might be defective??
post #736 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM

I have not recieved it as yet....but I was reading this thread and I've seen a lot of negative stuff about the series. How well do you like yours?
post #737 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Just did a factory reset and the sound is still bad. I measured it with my phone, and there is a sound difference (the results are not even near the same).
post #738 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I know that is why I haven't given up yet! My problem is music. It sounds just plain bad. Movies have been fine. There are cold temps in the forecast for tomorrow so I'll play inside all day and hopefully start getting close to where I like the sound.

If you can find a configuration that works for you with music, you can configure a separate Parameter for it and then create a Scene for music to use that Parameter. For example, on my 3010 I have Parameter 1 set to 11.2 speakers and everything crossed @ 80Hz, except for my fronts which are set to Large and "Extra Bass" enabled, and uses a tweaked YPAO-Natural EQ that I have saved to "Manual" EQ. My blu-ray player is set on Scene 1 and uses this Parameter. It sounds great with HT, but I'm not crazy about with music. So I have Parameter 2 configured with YPAO-Natural and fronts only at full range since I prefer 2-channel only. I have a Scene configured to use Parameter 2 for music.

post #739 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantzmar View Post

I have not recieved it as yet....but I was reading this thread and I've seen a lot of negative stuff about the series. How well do you like yours?

What negative stuff?

The RX-A3010 is the best receiver I've ever had. Especially build quality. The menus and control was fantastic, I really liked it. Too bad mine seems to be defective. But I'm sure that doesnt apply to every receiver.
post #740 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Just did a factory reset and the sound is still bad. I measured it with my phone, and there is a sound difference (the results are not even near the same).

Hi Lindrian, what source is playing or does this happen with all source? Do you have the receiver connected to a surge protector or conditioner?
post #741 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Lindrian, what source is playing or does this happen with all source? Do you have the receiver connected to a surge protector or conditioner?

Any source.

Yes, I have it connected to a "surge protector" I would assume. I have my TV connected to the same. I tried connecting them both to the wall, and different sockets etc too. Same problem.

None of my other receivers have this problem, and they were all connected to the same surge protector as the tv and all other equipment.
post #742 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:

This is very helpful. Thanks. Actually, what I intend to do is jump the connectors together at the wall jack since I already have wired the F presence and main front speakers through the walls. Are you saying that if I do it that way, I am gonna be at 4ohms?? Wouldn't that be the same as running both directly from the AVR? Thanks.

Running in Parallel - which is what I think you're doing if I'm understanding correctly - will lower the impedance. The formula is:

Speaker Impedance / # of Speakers

Assuming 8 Ohm speakers x 2, then 8/2 = 4. The 810 manual says you can run 4 Ohm "as the front speakers", you just have to set the Impedance to 6 Ohm on the unit.

My question, however, is whether or not you'd gain anything from this as all you're doing is duplicating the fronts in an elevated position. Granted that depending on the DSP, when running 5.x the unit will send to the fronts what normally is played through the front presence, but I would think it would do more harm than good as the front presence speakers are designed to do a specific job with the relative DSP. Duplicating them I think would drown out the sound field and not produce a "layered" and "dimensional" effect which is what the presence speakers should provide.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I guess give it a try and see if you like it.

post #743 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

If you can find a configuration that works for you with music, you can configure a separate Parameter for it and then create a Scene for music to use that Parameter. For example, on my 3010 I have Parameter 1 set to 11.2 speakers and everything crossed @ 80Hz, except for my fronts which are set to Large and "Extra Bass" enabled, and uses a tweaked YPAO-Natural EQ that I have saved to "Manual" EQ. My blu-ray player is set on Scene 1 and uses this Parameter. It sounds great with HT, but I'm not crazy about with music. So I have Parameter 2 configured with YPAO-Natural and fronts only at full range since I prefer 2-channel only. I have a Scene configured to use Parameter 2 for music.

Definitely. I do really like the ability to configure the "scenes". It is a great way to dumb down the remote for my gf. Instead of pushing 3 different buttons scene 1 is easy to remember. One of the first things I did was change scene 1 to TV setup instead of Blu-Ray.

I have played around with the manual EQ by copying my YPAO settings over.Like I said before I hope I can find a happy place with music because the benefits of the receiver other than the sound I'm getting now are great.
post #744 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:

My question, however, is whether or not you'd gain anything from this as all you're doing is duplicating the fronts in an elevated position. Granted that depending on the DSP, when running 5.x the unit will send to the fronts what normally is played through the front presence, but I would think it would do more harm than good as the front presence speakers are designed to do a specific job with the relative DSP. Duplicating them I think would drown out the sound field and not produce a "layered" and "dimensional" effect which is what the presence speakers should provide.

Thanks for the help on the speaker impedance issues. Appreciate. Regarding your question, I basically agree, but I am going to try it anyways. I will get back and let you know my thoughts on it. Thanks!
post #745 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Definitely. I do really like the ability to configure the "scenes". It is a great way to dumb down the remote for my gf. Instead of pushing 3 different buttons scene 1 is easy to remember. One of the first things I did was change scene 1 to TV setup instead of Blu-Ray.

I have played around with the manual EQ by copying my YPAO settings over.Like I said before I hope I can find a happy place with music because the benefits of the receiver other than the sound I'm getting now are great.

I hear ya on that! I wasn't 100% satisfied with music at first either, but the overall benefits are outweighing any idea I've had of returning the 3010. The Parameter 1 and 2 option has really helped. I'm getting close to my 30-days, and it's likely that the 3010 will remain.

post #746 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I hear ya on that! I wasn't 100% satisfied with music at first either, but the overall benefits are outweighing any idea I've had of returning the 3010. The Parameter 1 and 2 option has really helped. I'm getting close to my 30-days, and it's likely that the 3010 will remain.

What would your alternative to the 3010 have been?
post #747 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Just got the RX-A3010

I now notice this on my A1010,if I have the TV on the sound is loud,if I turn on the AVR without sound then the TV sound drops. But why would you want to use the tv sound when you have the ARV on. I have the AVR on standby pass through,so with the AVR on standby I can use the TV speakers which are quite loud ,if I turn on the AVR,I mute the TV speakers.
Not quite understanding your problem,other than it is doing this,but from a practical standpoint I see no problem.
I can not find a setting that changes this, so it must be that when the AVR is on the voltage output to the tv is lower,why don't know.
Old Mike
post #748 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post

I now notice this on my A1010,if I have the TV on the sound is loud,if I turn on the AVR without sound then the TV sound drops. But why would you want to use the tv sound when you have the ARV on. I have the AVR on standby pass through,so with the AVR on standby I can use the TV speakers which are quite loud ,if I turn on the AVR,I mute the TV speakers.
Not quite understanding your problem,other than it is doing this,but from a practical standpoint I see no problem.
I can not find a setting that changes this, so it must be that when the AVR is on the voltage output to the tv is lower,why don't know.
Old Mike

No, I'm not using the TV speakers.

This is how it works.

TV OFF: Sound is great
TV ON: Sound is ******

Sound comes from my home cinema speakers, nothing else. For some reason when the TV is turned on it gets ******.
post #749 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:

What negative stuff?

The RX-A3010 is the best receiver I've ever had. Especially build quality. The menus and control was fantastic, I really liked it. Too bad mine seems to be defective. But I'm sure that doesnt apply to every receiver.

I've been reading this entire thread and I see things like what you have said all through the thread. "defective" or things not working properly. I just hope I did not get a bad one.

I have a Marantz SR5500 which is still running great, but its does not have HDMI. So that's why I decided on the Yammie. I have Paradigm Monitor 7'v3 as fronts and Klipsch KM 4 Towers as rears. The Marantz is high current...Is the Yammie High current? I looked all over the Yammie site and cant find anything about high current. I wanted to get another Marantz, but the price is right on the Yammie and they build the build quality up to be just as good as other AVR's like Marantz and Anthem.

My main hobby is in two channel and have neglected my home theater....so I am out of touch with AV. So fellas help me out. Did I make a good choice in the AVENTAGE Series, the RX-A710? I know its entry level, but that's all I need for the family room. Its about 18 x 24 and will use it for everyday use with the Uverse and DVD's. I was a little disappointed after I ordered it, to see it did not have amp pre-outs. The Marantz had the preouts that I used to connect my Adcom amp too for two channel music, but now I may sell the Adcom or throw it in a closet. So did I make a good choice, this is my first Yammie gear I have ever owned.

Thanks.
post #750 of 2909 Old 04-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the help on the speaker impedance issues. Appreciate. Regarding your question, I basically agree, but I am going to try it anyways. I will get back and let you know my thoughts on it. Thanks!

No problem. And definitely report back, I'm interested in what you think, and also how the ARC interprets things if you decide to run it after.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A710bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A810bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page