The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 2909 Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantzmar View Post

Ok, Thanks man for the information....Oh and btw, I've got the sound figured out manually....Have not used YPAO yet. But am interested in seeing if my manual settings and its automatic setting are close.

Hey rantzmar, so the "thin" sound is gone? I'm asking because I feel the Marantz AV7005 sounds more thin to me overall than the 3010, particularly with vocals. I'm referring specifically to 2-channel music listening listening, although I still prefer the smoothness of the AV7005 overall with music. Also, after having run YPAO and using the YPAO-Natural EQ for music, it's far more pleasing to my ears than the initial setup that I did with my SPL.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 2909 Old 04-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Are you using a SPL meter to manually set your speakers?

Naw....its all by ear, but will use the YPAO tomorrow.
post #963 of 2909 Old 04-22-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:

Naw....its all by ear, but will us the YPAO tomorrow.

Oh. You must have a very well trained ear by doing it that way. In any case, don't forget to post your impression after you run YPAO.

Take care!
post #964 of 2909 Old 04-22-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

Hey rantzmar, so the "thin" sound is gone? I'm asking because I feel the Marantz AV7005 sounds more thin to me overall than the 3010, particularly with vocals. I'm referring specifically to 2-channel music listening listening, although I still prefer the smoothness of the AV7005 overall with music. Also, after having run YPAO and using the YPAO-Natural EQ for music, it's far more pleasing to my ears than the initial setup that I did with my SPL.

Hi Red! Do you mean the AV7005?

No its not sounding thin now....If fact, it has better processing than my Marantz. But keep in mind, the SR5500 was about 9 or 10 years old, not even HDMI connections. The Dynamic power on the RX-A710 is 130/8 ohms, so thats pretty good. I still like Marantz better, but for the price and build quality, one cant go wrong with the Yammie. For the most part, I've only looked at TV....have not listened to music, or any DVD's yet. Its not tweaked...but will do it MOnday.
post #965 of 2909 Old 04-22-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Oh. You must have a very well trained ear by doing it that way. In any case, don't forget to post your impression after you run YPAO.

Take care!

Well, I'm a two channel audio guy. That's pretty much all I do. I'm the type of guy who has his play list in his head before he gets home from the office. Its how I de-stress after a long day. Nothing like putting a record on the turntable and sitting back to Billie Holiday or John Coltrane. The RX-A710 is for the wife and kids in the family room...they watch movies and DVD's and play games more than me so its more for them, but I will check it out for about a month, and then its back down to the 2 channel room with my records.

Sure I will post my impressions after YAPO....but now its sounding really nice.

--rantz..
post #966 of 2909 Old 04-22-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 660
^^^^

Glad to hear it is working fine for you. Looking forward to hear from you after YPAO.
post #967 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 01:28 AM

Liked: 10
Hello.

I'm a new owner of RX-A810.

Previously I've had Onkyo 707, paired with my Samsung TV and when I've turned the TV on and off, Onkyo did the same.

Now with Yamaha, it only turns off with TV; I don't know how to make it turn on automatically. Any help?

Another question - do I have to have DLNA server to be able to play music from my NAS?

Tnx.
post #968 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 05:42 AM

Can someone with a 2010 confirm video allocation for me:

around hdmi and component assignment to zones.

if (hyperthetically) i had a single component feed from a stb could i send this to all zones ?

Zone1: (up converted from HDMI1)
Zone2: (up converted from HDMI2)
Zone3: (passed directly from Component out)

I'm trying to avoid replacing my matrix switch.

regards, Will
post #969 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 11
Ok. I am thinking of going from a Yamaha RX-A3010 to a Pioneer SC-57 (SC-LX85). This because I've had a couple defective yamaha units and im getting tried of it now. Though I'll have to add some money to get the SC-57. Is it worth paying a little extra to switch over to pioneer or would remaining with Yamaha be the best choice?
post #970 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Hi Red! Do you mean the AV7005?

No its not sounding thin now....If fact, it has better processing than my Marantz. But keep in mind, the SR5500 was about 9 or 10 years old, not even HDMI connections. The Dynamic power on the RX-A710 is 130/8 ohms, so thats pretty good. I still like Marantz better, but for the price and build quality, one cant go wrong with the Yammie. For the most part, I've only looked at TV....have not listened to music, or any DVD's yet. Its not tweaked...but will do it MOnday.

Yeah, the AV7005 pre-pro. Voices and upper mids aren't as thin sounding on the 3010 with 2-channel listening. However, I still prefer the smoother sound of the AV7005 overall with music.

Glad to hear the 710 has gotten better for you.

post #971 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the AV7005 pre-pro. Voices and upper mids aren't as thin sounding on the 3010 with 2-channel listening. However, I still prefer the smoother sound of the AV7005 overall with music.

Glad to hear the 710 has gotten better for you.

Well I'm loving the A710 at the moment. Today I played a CD through it, in Direct Mode and ,...well lets say the Marantz SR5500 kicked its tale by a long shot! For movies and music DVD's the A710 is great.

The YPAO sucked big time. I like to hear my movies. The only thing the YPOA had correct was the distance of each speaker...every thing else was not exciting at all. No wow factor. So I erased every thing it tuned it by ear....Sounds goood now
post #972 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 05:51 PM

I see the new models will have AirPlay. Does anyone know if we will be able to get AirPlay through a firmware update? I have the 2010.
post #973 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Well I'm loving the A710 at the moment. Today I played a CD through it, in Direct Mode and ,...well lets say the Marantz SR5500 kicked its tale by a long shot! For movies and music DVD's the A710 is great.

The YPAO sucked big time. I like to hear my movies. The only thing the YPOA had correct was the distance of each speaker...every thing else was not exciting at all. No wow factor. So I erased every thing it tuned it by ear....Sounds goood now

Interesting, YPAO-Natural made all the difference for me with music on the 3010, although like I said I still prefer the AV7005 with music overall.

As for HT dynamics, that's interesting because the prior Yamaha units that I've owned I thought were WAY more dynamic than the Marantz and Onkyo preamps/AVRs that I tried. I feel the same way about the 3010. The 3010 knocked my socks off with the opening explosion in Iron Man when I first tried it out.

post #974 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindrian View Post

Ok. I am thinking of going from a Yamaha RX-A3010 to a Pioneer SC-57 (SC-LX85). This because I've had a couple defective yamaha units and im getting tried of it now. Though I'll have to add some money to get the SC-57. Is it worth paying a little extra to switch over to pioneer or would remaining with Yamaha be the best choice?

The SC57 is no slouch. It has thx certification if at matters to you, allows video output to all 3 zones if that is something you need and has DTS neo x. Is it worth more only over the Yamaha or Denon 4311? I don't believe so. It has it's own slew of issues with hdmi and network hanging up the receiver with no firmware yet to fix it. If you're looking to ditch yamaha, the Denon 4311 is a no brainer, not to mention... It has audyssey xt32.
post #975 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

As for HT dynamics, that's interesting because the prior Yamaha units that I've owned I thought were WAY more dynamic than the Marantz and Onkyo preamps/AVRs that I tried. I feel the same way about the 3010. The 3010 knocked my socks off with the opening explosion in Iron Man when I first tried it out.

That's what I thought about my 2010 - until I realized that I had Enhancer turned on! Is this what you heard, or is it something else?
post #976 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

It is too bad that you are this point. I understand about getting tired of it though . Maybe if you hang in there a lil while longer, you'll get what you paid for. Are you worried at all that you may be starting this all over again with a different AVR?

I read the review on the Pioneer in Home Theater and yeah, it sure sounds sweet!

I've had my 2010 for less than a week and am LOVING IT!
I hope that whatever you decide, you'll eventually feel the same!
post #977 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 PM
gce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

I can't figure out how to get a Flac file to play on my 810. I went to HDtracks and downloaded there sample Flac files. When I open my PC with my 810 I can see and play anything from my Music Folder in my laptop (mp3's) but the 810 does not see the Flac files I have in that folder.

I've checked the files and they are Flac files. What am I doing wrong? How do I get the 810 to see and play Flac files

If anyone is having problems getting Flac files to stream to there Yamaha as I was having above... download "Asset UPnP". It works great and Flac files sound great too!
post #978 of 2909 Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

That's what I thought about my 2010 - until I realized that I had Enhancer turned on! Is this what you heard, or is it something else?

Nah, I never use Enhancer type functions with any of my gear. Not a fan of them at all. I think they do more harm than good, and for that matter they didn't exist in any of the Yamaha units I owned pre-YPAO.

post #979 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 AM

Right so I'm unsure. The SC-57 might be noisy due to the fan and the fact that i sit so close to it. And I don't want any excess noise so that one goes away.

The Denon AVR-4311 is an option but first I have to see if I can get my money back.

I dislike the fact that it takes several seconds (on average atleast 1-2s) for the receiver to start making any sound at all, which is annoying considering the fact its connected to my PC (I can't hear any beeps and such).

Edit:
Looks like the denon has fans in it too? Then that one goes away...
post #980 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 AM
gce

Quote:

Right so I'm unsure. The SC-57 might be noisy due to the fan and the fact that i sit so close to it. And I don't want any excess noise so that one goes away.

The Denon AVR-4311 is an option but first I have to see if I can get my money back.

I dislike the fact that it takes several seconds (on average atleast 1-2s) for the receiver to start making any sound at all, which is annoying considering the fact its connected to my PC (I can't hear any beeps and such).

Edit:
Looks like the denon has fans in it too? Then that one goes away...

Why don't you go to the Denon and Pio threads and ask if the fans are noisy?
post #981 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Interesting, YPAO-Natural made all the difference for me with music on the 3010, although like I said I still prefer the AV7005 with music overall.

I only listen to music in 2 channel/Pure Direct. So the Yammie could not touch my Marantz AVR in two channel mode. And especially when I had the Adcom amp/Marantz in pure Direct....Yammie could not even come close.

Quote:

My Marantz 5500 which was released before HDMI, was one hell of a Home Theater. Explosions where off the chain. I have the same Paradigm Monitor 7's, and Klipsch M4's as front and rear, and the Mirage sub. I will let you know how the A710 does with good explosions.

On another note....I thought about getting the Yammie Blue Ray player....so what are they like? My first choice was a Marantz player.
post #982 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 62
Quote:

On another note....I thought about getting the Yammie Blue Ray player....so what are they like? My first choice was a Marantz player.

Don't forget to add the Oppo BDP-93 (HDMI) or BDP-95 (with analog audio outputs) to your comparison list.

(FYI, enormous AVS thread here)
post #983 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I only listen to music in 2 channel/Pure Direct. So the Yammie could not touch my Marantz AVR in two channel mode. And especially when I had the Adcom amp/Marantz in pure Direct....Yammie could not even come close.

Normally I only listen to 2-channel/Pure Direct only - I'm not a fan of multi-channel music or using a sub with music. I like full range with minimal processing. However, I'm trying to say that with the 3010 I prefer it in YPAO-Natural mode and not in PD mode, it just sounds smoother to me that way. I otherwise always had PD enabled on the AV7005 and other gear that I owned that had PD.

Quote:

My Marantz 5500 which was released before HDMI, was one hell of a Home Theater. Explosions where off the chain. I have the same Paradigm Monitor 7's, and Klipsch M4's as front and rear, and the Mirage sub. I will let you know how the A710 does with good explosions.

Well, I'm not trying to say that it isn't. All I'm saying is that all the Yammie gear I've ever owned has been more dynamic than the recent gear I've tried from Onkyo and Marantz, and that includes the AV7005. I also have a Marantz SR6005 in a 2nd setup, and I still don't feel it's as dynamic as the 3010 or prior Yammie gear I've owned. If I run either unit with movies and without Audyssey Dynamic EQ enabled, they sound dead and lifeless. But even with DEQ enabled I still feel the dynamics are better on the Yamaha. Maybe it's just the recent Marantz line, I don't know.
Quote:

Sorry, can't help there, man, I don't have any experience with Yamaha blu-ray players. However, for what it's worth, I used to have a Yamaha SD-1800 dvd/SACD player which I thought was an excellent unit. The Oppo BDP93 is more than a worthy successor, otherwise I'd still probably have the SD-1800 for SACD.

post #984 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 AM

So the only thing really bothering me with the RX-A3010 is that it goes into a kind of "stand by" mode after no signal is sent. It displays "Decoder off" which means each time I want to play a sound, it will require a second or two to start decoding the sound. Quite annoying really. Is there a way to change this?

I am simply using HDMI (AV1) in to the receiver. Nothing else as of right now.
post #985 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 12:06 PM

Also, when I turn my TV on, it shows "Panasonic TV" as the audio device. And when I turn it off, I get my receiver as the audio device. How can I change this? I don't audio device to change all the time.
post #986 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This depends on how you have the PC hooked up - if it is a videocard through HDMI, there is the "silent stream" bug that ATI only *recently* fixed and NVIDIA still has - you miss the first second or two of audio because the drivers/videocard have a huge delay. One awkward solution is to have a Windows Media Player program open 24/7 in the background playing a sound in continuous loop, with the volume set to ZERO. This will keep the audio connection open and then you will have sound without 1 second silence (this won't work for WASAPI/ASIO players).

A standalone blu-ray player or streamer does not have this issue and there is no delay. This is not specific to the yamaha AVRs from what I read on forums worldwide.
post #987 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:

This depends on how you have the PC hooked up - if it is a videocard through HDMI, there is the "silent stream" bug that ATI only *recently* fixed and NVIDIA still has - you miss the first second or two of audio because the drivers/videocard have a huge delay. One awkward solution is to have a Windows Media Player program open 24/7 in the background playing a sound in continuous loop, with the volume set to ZERO. This will keep the audio connection open and then you will have sound without 1 second silence (this won't work for WASAPI/ASIO players).

A standalone blu-ray player or streamer does not have this issue and there is no delay. This is not specific to the yamaha AVRs from what I read on forums worldwide.

That is very interesting. Yes, I am using Nvidia card with HDMI audio/video.. I wonder if this will be fixed, ever? I always thought it was the receiver that was slow, not the computer.

Do you have any idea about my other question?
post #988 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The decoder off thing? No ideas there - although I don't recall it being a big problem for me - when I start a movie on my panasonic blu-ray player, I don't recall audio being cut out when skipping chapters or starting a movie from a menu. I haven't looked into this much though.

I don't know if NVIDIA will ever fix the silent stream bug - I thought they fixed it for the 301.24 beta drivers, but instead they seemed to have "tweaked" it so that if you pause a song, you have 5 seconds to hit play otherwise you will get the 1 second or 2 of silence - it's like they tweaked the HDMI audio driver to "hold" the connection open for a few seconds when you stop audio. It still screws up normal Windows sounds, but when you do a speaker test in the Sound control panel, it is improved.
post #989 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Maybe nvidia will fix it considering their going to be the dominating force here shortly in handheld mobile devices with graphics capabilities exceeding the Xbox 360 in less then 18 months.

Their graphics cards have always focused on performance, less on image quality. In the earlier days of ati vs nvidia, ati always excelled in image quality and function. Ati/amd really focused on home theater pc functions which is why amd fixed it's hdmi issues. There was always ugly handshaking issues earlier. Hopefully nvidia gets their act together in regards to htpc issues.

As far as the fans on the pioneer and denons... You cannot hear it n the pioneer as I saw the sc57 elite in person and couldnt hear it. I was not aware the Denon had an internal fan, but never heard a complaint about it in the owners thread.

Bluray player... Oppo 93 or 95 are the ones you really should consider. You really get a super bang for your dollar with the oppo.
post #990 of 2909 Old 04-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

The decoder off thing? No ideas there - although I don't recall it being a big problem for me - when I start a movie on my panasonic blu-ray player, I don't recall audio being cut out when skipping chapters or starting a movie from a menu. I haven't looked into this much though.

I don't know if NVIDIA will ever fix the silent stream bug - I thought they fixed it for the 301.24 beta drivers, but instead they seemed to have "tweaked" it so that if you pause a song, you have 5 seconds to hit play otherwise you will get the 1 second or 2 of silence - it's like they tweaked the HDMI audio driver to "hold" the connection open for a few seconds when you stop audio. It still screws up normal Windows sounds, but when you do a speaker test in the Sound control panel, it is improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Maybe nvidia will fix it considering their going to be the dominating force here shortly in handheld mobile devices with graphics capabilities exceeding the Xbox 360 in less then 18 months.

Their graphics cards have always focused on performance, less on image quality. In the earlier days of ati vs nvidia, ati always excelled in image quality and function. Ati/amd really focused on home theater pc functions which is why amd fixed it's hdmi issues. There was always ugly handshaking issues earlier. Hopefully nvidia gets their act together in regards to htpc issues.

As far as the fans on the pioneer and denons... You cannot hear it n the pioneer as I saw the sc57 elite in person and couldnt hear it. I was not aware the Denon had an internal fan, but never heard a complaint about it in the owners thread.

Bluray player... Oppo 93 or 95 are the not ones you really should consider. You really get a super bang for your dollar with the oppo.

Thanks for the info you two.

If this deocder thing is a Nvidia issue I'll stick with yamaha and give it another go. It's a great receiver over all so I guess this should be fine.

How would it differ if I used an optical cable from my integrated sound card instead of HDMI like I am doing now?

I am getting HDMI sound+video to the receiver, sound goes to speakers and video to the TV. I can connect the HDMI cable directly to the TV and then optical from PC to the receiver. Would this be better? Or can the optical cable not hold the larger DTS formats and stuff like that?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A710bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A810bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page