The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #991 of 2949 Old 04-24-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindrian View Post

Thanks for the info you two.

If this deocder thing is a Nvidia issue I'll stick with yamaha and give it another go. It's a great receiver over all so I guess this should be fine.

How would it differ if I used an optical cable from my integrated sound card instead of HDMI like I am doing now?

I am getting HDMI sound+video to the receiver, sound goes to speakers and video to the TV. I can connect the HDMI cable directly to the TV and then optical from PC to the receiver. Would this be better? Or can the optical cable not hold the larger DTS formats and stuff like that?

Well, I know it's not an issue with the receiver. I have a Mac mini for my htpc, which has been flawless hooked to the 3010. My mini has an ati video card in it. I have a dell laptop, which is an i5 intel with a heavy hitter nvidia GeForce video card.. It has some sound issues going through hdmi at times.

If you go optical, you're going to need a media player that can output your 5.1 through the s/pdif optical. VLC media player can do this for you and it's free. You will need to jump into the audio settings within VLC and make sure the following settings are configured:

High quality audio resampling - on
Use S/PDIF when available - on
Force Detection of Dolby Surround - Auto

This should solve your problem in the meantime. Just remember, in the future, consider a video card from AMD on your next upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2949 Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Well, I know it's not an issue with the receiver. I have a Mac mini for my htpc, which has been flawless hooked to the 3010. My mini has an ati video card in it. I have a dell laptop, which is an i5 intel with a heavy hitter nvidia GeForce video card.. It has some sound issues going through hdmi at times.

If you go optical, you're going to need a media player that can output your 5.1 through the s/pdif optical. VLC media player can do this for you and it's free. You will need to jump into the audio settings within VLC and make sure the following settings are configured:

High quality audio resampling - on
Use S/PDIF when available - on
Force Detection of Dolby Surround - Auto

This should solve your problem in the meantime. Just remember, in the future, consider a video card from AMD on your next upgrade.

I am using Media Player Classic right now. Most of the stuff is just pass through, so the receiver can decode everything the way it pleases. Right now im running some type of application in the background that loops a WMV file. Seems to work in keeping the receiver in PCM.

My issue about audio devices switching remains though.
post #993 of 2949 Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

If this deocder thing is a Nvidia issue I'll stick with yamaha and give it another go. It's a great receiver over all so I guess this should be fine.

I just wanted to note that in a 2nd setup I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti connected to a Marantz SR6005 AVR via HDMI. I get the 1-2 second delay as well if there isn't a consistent audio stream going to the unit. So short system sounds like "dings" and what not don't even play.

Quote:

How would it differ if I used an optical cable from my integrated sound card instead of HDMI like I am doing now?

I am getting HDMI sound+video to the receiver, sound goes to speakers and video to the TV. I can connect the HDMI cable directly to the TV and then optical from PC to the receiver. Would this be better? Or can the optical cable not hold the larger DTS formats and stuff like that?

Optical has always worked better for me with audio, but that's the problem right there it won't pass the HD codecs (DTS HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD) and will result in the core lossy format (DTS, Dolby Digital). Also, if you do any gaming, PC games are not generally encoded in Dolby or DTS and will output multi-channel PCM only. Optical/coax only supports 2-channel PCM so you'll only get PCM stereo and not multi-channel unless the sound card is equipped with Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #994 of 2949 Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM

Liked: 10
I am running four Polk RM8 8 ohm speakers R. L. front and R. L. side speakers. However I have a Yamaha 6 ohm speaker for the center channel. I have run the automated setup and everything sounds pretty good. My question is, is there someplace within set up that I need to adjust for this 6 ohm speaker?

And by the way, I received in a very short time, the printed manual that I requested from Yamaha for my RX- A710. And I have yet to find any place within the manual information telling me what I need to know regarding the question asked here.
post #995 of 2949 Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post

I am running four Polk RM8 8 ohm speakers R. L. front and R. L. side speakers. However I have a Yamaha 6 ohm speaker for the center channel. I have run the automated setup and everything sounds pretty good. My question is, is there someplace within set up that I need to adjust for this 6 ohm speaker?

And by the way, I received in a very short time, the printed manual that I requested from Yamaha for my RX- A710. And I have yet to find any place within the manual information telling me what I need to know regarding the question asked here.

I too have the RX-A710.

I have a question about your automated setup. After running it, did you tweak it any? Or just go with the setting it gave you. Also did they charge you for the hard copy? I saw online they where charging.
post #996 of 2949 Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantzmar View Post

I too have the RX-A710.

I have a question about your automated setup. After running it, did you tweak it any? Or just go with the setting it gave you. Also did they charge you for the hard copy? I saw online they where charging.

No I did not tweak the settings, they sound OK.

They did not charge me for the manual. They were quite nice about it all and I got the manual in less time than they original indicated.
post #997 of 2949 Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 PM

OK, I got my RX-A710 and its a pretty nice receiver. Already called Yamaha as I found a pretty significant flaw. With original HDMI video, everything looks pretty nice, but the analog composite conversion is flawed with incorrect black levels.

The blacks are washed out and grey. I found that the black scaling 7.5 IRE is not being converted correctly to HDMI. It looks like the receiver is using the incorrect Japanese NTSC 0 IRE Black Level scaling instead of the US NTSC 7.5 IRE scaling when the composite is converted to HDMI. My case was elevated at Yamaha technical support over this flaw. If this flaw isnt corrected by firmware (already have version 1.18), I may have to return for an Elite VSX-52 OR a Denon AVR-2312CI, which both are significantly more expensive and wont accomidate my equipment without external A/V switchers and external tape monitor switch boxes. I have both but they complicate system use which is why I have downgraded from my older Denon AVR-3803. I may just go back to the 3803.

Anyone know a work around other than having to add component video ( or composite) connections to the TV as well? That isnt acceptable as it causes confusion for my wife.
post #998 of 2949 Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 PM
G42

Quote:

Do you have hdmi control activated via hdmi using arc? My 3010 would do this if I tried to use arc with my Samsung d8000. Sammy broke compatibility and I cannot use arc.

The ony device I know that works with the USB is an iPod/iPhone. The iPad doesn't work nor does anything android.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be an honest idiot - I don't know what this "arc" you speak of is. I'm very new to hdmi. I do have a Samsung tv connected though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

Are you using a USB stick? If I understand the manual correctly, non-HDD USB devices must be FAT 16/32 file system.

As for the usb crap, yeah it was just a fat32 vs ntfs issue. Reformatted and working fine now. Can't believe I didn't figure that one out sooner. Just never been an issue for me on anything before.

While I'm "on the line", I do have another issue though, and that is that whenever I switch to the usb input, it automatically begins playing, and I mean instantly. Any way to make it not play until I tell it to?
Also any thoughts on the way this machine automatically turns itself to av4 every time it's turned on(after about 20 seconds, so I ALWAYS have to wait for that before I can do anything)?
post #999 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 AM

Still having the issue with the audio device being changed. Does anyone know how I can avoid this?

Further description:
If I turn the TV off, the audio device disappears (its not in the disconnected list)
then the receiver pops back up
if i turn the tv on, the receiver goes away (not in the list either) and then the tv shows up in its place

I have it connected like this:
PC(HDMI, Nvidia) -> Receiver -> Panasonic G30(HDMI)
post #1000 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 AM

Just sort of a checking back in with the thread type of post.

I'm still very unhappy with music performance out of my A2010. I am running old Klipsch RF-3 ii and it seems that many folks are not fond of the yamaha/klipsch combo. I beginning to agree with them. Guess I'll keep tweaking and try some room enhancements.

Also, I have opened a ticket with Yamaha first level (3rd party)support on two of my issues. Of course they couldn't answer either so it was escalated to Yamaha.

1. Oppo BDP-93 HDMI handshake problems ... takes several reboots of each to get the handshake ironed out.

2. The constant "List Updated" Notification (tv and front panel) during DLNA streaming.

Oh and one other annoyance. I have completely reconfigured my input and scenes so that the inputs I use most frequently are in order 1 - 4. This means that 1 is now TV, 2 PC audio streaming, 3 blu-ray, 4 pandora. However, the LCD panel on the remote still shows the default naming for these when the button is pushed. Anyway to change that?
post #1001 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itallushrt View Post

I'm still very unhappy with music performance out of my A2010. I am running old Klipsch RF-3 ii and it seems that many folks are not fond of the yamaha/klipsch combo. I beginning to agree with them. Guess I'll keep tweaking and try some room enhancements.

Also, I have opened a ticket with Yamaha first level (3rd party)support on two of my issues. Of course they couldn't answer either so it was escalated to Yamaha.

1. Oppo BDP-93 HDMI handshake problems ... takes several reboots of each to get the handshake ironed out.

2. The constant "List Updated" Notification (tv and front panel) during DLNA streaming.

If you're unhappy, why didn't you just return the receiver for a refund??? Just doesn't make sense to spend such a fortune on a receiver that doesn't perform to your liking.

I may return mine if I can't get an answer on the composite to HDMI video conversion, black level problem. Although the closest receiver to offer connections for my needs is the Denon AVR-2312CI and it's still lacking while costing several hundred dollars more.

If I return the RX-A710, I just may scrap HDMI switching and it's HD audio formats and go back to my Denon AVR-3803 receiver. I have 4 HDMI inputs on my TV so it can handle all 3 of my HDMI equipment.

This is my 4th Yamaha receiver and Technical support always has helped with any issues that arrised. I previously had a RX-V793 and RX-V995 in the 90s and a RX-V2095 up until I bought my Denon AVR-3803.

What did you run your Klipsch on previously. I would think a HK since those receivers are dark sounding. Every Klipsch speaker I've heard is pretty bright sounding even the THX certified Klipsch I own for another system. For my Yamaha and Denon receivers, I use Infinity speakers which are 'my' favorite. BUT if I had a HK receiver, the Klipsch would most undoubtedly sound better.
post #1002 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Lindrian, I don't understand what you are trying to say - audio device disappears? From where?

You mention your PC in the chain - so I guess you're saying that when you turn off the TV, the PC sees a receiver instead of the TV in the NVIDIA Control Panel?

I'm not sure what issue you're having here - this appears to be normal operation.
post #1003 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

FWIW, I was having the same issue with the Oppo -93 and the A2010.

I updated the firmware on both (A2010 to v1.08) and it was still an occasional issue. Finally I ordered a new, but very inexpensive, AmazonBasics "high speed" HDMI cable to replace the cable of unknown origin that I had pulled out of the closet and the issue was resolved.

YMMV.
post #1004 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

If you're unhappy, why didn't you just return the receiver for a refund??? Just doesn't make sense to spend such a fortune on a receiver that doesn't perform to your liking.

I may return mine if I can't get an answer on the composite to HDMI video conversion, black level problem. Although the closest receiver to offer connections for my needs is the Denon AVR-2312CI and it's still lacking while costing several hundred dollars more.

If I return the RX-A710, I just may scrap HDMI switching and it's HD audio formats and go back to my Denon AVR-3803 receiver. I have 4 HDMI inputs on my TV so it can handle all 3 of my HDMI equipment.

This is my 3rd Yamaha receiver and Technical support always has helped with any issues that arrised. I previously had a RX-V793 and RX-V995 in the 90s and a RX-V2095 up until I bought my Denon AVR-3803.

What did you run your Klipsch on previously. I would think a HK since those receivers are dark sounding. Every Klipsch speaker I've heard is pretty bright sounding even the THX certified Klipsch I own for another system. For my Yamaha and Denon receivers, I use Infinity speakers which are 'my' favorite. BUT if I had a HK receiver, the Klipsch would most undoubtedly sound better.

Returning it is still in the cards! I was previously running a Denon 3802. I found the denon/klipsch sound quite pleasing.
post #1005 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

Lindrian, I don't understand what you are trying to say - audio device disappears? From where?

You mention your PC in the chain - so I guess you're saying that when you turn off the TV, the PC sees a receiver instead of the TV in the NVIDIA Control Panel?

I'm not sure what issue you're having here - this appears to be normal operation.

Audio Device from the "Playback Devices" list.

You are correct. When the TV is off, the PC sees the receiver. When the TV is on, it sees the TV. This causes a switch in audio devices I don't want.

And yes, it changes in Nvidia control panel too.
post #1006 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

FWIW, I was having the same issue with the Oppo -93 and the A2010.

I updated the firmware on both and it was still an occasional issue. Finally I ordered a new, but very inexpensive, AmazonBasics "high speed" HDMI cable to replace the cable of unknown origin that I had pulled out of the closet and the issue was resolved.

YMMV.

Thanks and glad (kinda) to know that it is an common issue between the two. This gives me hope it can be repaired via a firmware update from one side or the other at some point.

I am running a bluejeans bjc series cable. I'll try another one and see what happens.
post #1007 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Lindrian: Ok I see! I work around the issue by having the receiver and the display audio devices configured as "Set as Default Device". So when I launch a media player, I don't have to manually change the playback device over (although this doesn't work for WASAPI mode). Normally this means you have to use DirectSound for your audio renderer, but it can work with ASIO in Foobar as it seems ASIO is "smart" enough to always use the default audio playback device.
post #1008 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh - and my current workaround is to also use a Monoprice 4x2 Matrix Splitter/Switch - I set it up as a splitter where the 2 outputs are configured such that one output of the switch goes to my Dell monitor and the 2nd output goes to one of the receiver's HDMI inputs. The PC plugs into the switch, and the 2nd receiver's HDMI output goes into the switch as well (yes, this is weird, but it seems to reduce handshake issues, and I can redirect audio from a media streamer to the receiver without physically unplugging the monitor - I need to come up with a less terrible solution! ).

With that said, I still get occasional handshake issues, but at least I can turn off the monitor without the audio being interrupted!
post #1009 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

This is my 4th Yamaha receiver and Technical support always has helped with any issues that arrised. I previously had a RX-V793 and RX-V995 in the 90s and a RX-V2095 up until I bought my Denon AVR-3803.

I have the a710 paired to the jamo s606 speakers (which are part of klipsch so ive heard) and I am not impressed with sound at all. I have enhancement ON just for it to sound a little brighter. I think I hopefully just have not tuned it correctly. My big sub totally puts them down another notch. I might test on another amp to be sure is the Yamaha
post #1010 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Oh - and my current workaround is to also use a Monoprice 4x2 Matrix Splitter/Switch - I set it up as a splitter where the 2 outputs are configured such that one output of the switch goes to my Dell monitor and the 2nd output goes to one of the receiver's HDMI inputs. The PC plugs into the switch, and the 2nd receiver's HDMI output goes into the switch as well (yes, this is weird, but it seems to reduce handshake issues, and I can redirect audio from a media streamer to the receiver without physically unplugging the monitor - I need to come up with a less terrible solution! ).

With that said, I still get occasional handshake issues, but at least I can turn off the monitor without the audio being interrupted!

Quote:

Lindrian: Ok I see! I work around the issue by having the receiver and the display audio devices configured as "Set as Default Device". So when I launch a media player, I don't have to manually change the playback device over (although this doesn't work for WASAPI mode). Normally this means you have to use DirectSound for your audio renderer, but it can work with ASIO in Foobar as it seems ASIO is "smart" enough to always use the default audio playback device.

Thanks.

Yes, I have set them as default device so they switch automatically. Problem is if im listening to music and turn on the TV, the audio device will switch and the music will stop playing. I will have to restart the program since the source it was outputting the sound to does not exist anymore...
post #1011 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that really sucks. I am wondering if a Gefen HDMI Detective would prevent the audio dropout from happening...I *think* when you plug it into the output of the AVR just before the TV, and the detective is programmed with the EDID of the TV, it will always appear to the AVR as always-on even if you turn off the TV itself.

I really need to read up more about it.
post #1012 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Audio Device from the "Playback Devices" list.

You are correct. When the TV is off, the PC sees the receiver. When the TV is on, it sees the TV. This causes a switch in audio devices I don't want.

And yes, it changes in Nvidia control panel too.

Hi Lindrian, curious what would happen if you turn off HDMI Control feature (HDMI Standby Pass Through).
post #1013 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Yeah, that really sucks. I am wondering if a Gefen HDMI Detective would prevent the audio dropout from happening...I *think* when you plug it into the output of the AVR just before the TV, and the detective is programmed with the EDID of the TV, it will always appear to the AVR as always-on even if you turn off the TV itself.

I really need to read up more about it.

To expand the issue. My PC monitor is connected to my GPU aswell. When I turn the TV on, the PC monitor goes black, flickers a bit and then return to normal as the TV turns on. This is also quite weird as the TV is configured as an extended display. If I were to not go through the receiver the TV would turn on normally and the regular PC display would not have been affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Lindrian, curious what would happen if you turn off HDMI Control feature (HDMI Standby Pass Through).

I have tried that and played around with those settings. No change.

---
EDIT
When I turn the TV ON, the "HDMI" light stays on but this is how it goes.
TV OFF: "IN" lights up, rest is black.
TV ON: "IN" goes black, "OUT1" lights up then "IN" lights up again.
"OUT1" flashes once then and thats it.

I tried OUT2, same thing.

When I turn the TV OFF after it has been ON, the entire HDMI-logo and IN/OUT turns OFF entirely, then "HDMI" and "IN" lights up and I get sound/picture.
post #1014 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Oh and one other annoyance. I have completely reconfigured my input and scenes so that the inputs I use most frequently are in order 1 - 4. This means that 1 is now TV, 2 PC audio streaming, 3 blu-ray, 4 pandora. However, the LCD panel on the remote still shows the default naming for these when the button is pushed. Anyway to change that?

I have a 1010 joined with RFs- 5 speakers plus Hsu. No problems with the 1010 or the Yammie 2600 I had before that. Keep tweaking. That's half the fun of owning such great gear
post #1015 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM

I have to ask, what is it with these receivers that don't sound good with Klipsch and Jamo speakers???

If anything, I'm pleased with the sound quality so far. I haven't pulled out my sound meter yet or anything, but from just initial listening, it seems really clear and detailed. I haven't really judged soundstaging and imaging yet as I've been super busy and rarely home. But I'm liking what I hear.

I know when I bought the RX-V1300 years ago, it was just a $1000 MSRP receiver and it's sound was identical to my $1700 MSRP RX-V2095. I thought that was pretty good but I did have some problems with the RX-V1300 with it's bass management and some scarring on the front face plate, so it went back and I decided to give the Denon AVR-3803 a try.

I loved the sound quality of the Denon and decided to keep it. It sounded different and better than the Yamaha's at very loud listening levels. However I don't know which was the more accurate. The Yamaha got shoutier at very loud listening levels where the Denon didn't seem to get as loud. Perhaps the Yamaha wasnt as shouty and the Denon got muddier? However these were very loud levels ONLY. At QUIETER levels, there wasnt much difference.

With the Klipsch speakers, you should never should get to that output as the speakers are very VERY efficient.
post #1016 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM

Hey guys, I can't seem to get sound througha nything but my laptop when connecting it to the receiver through HDMI to watch a movie. Any ideas on what's wrong? I have the RX-A810 and set sound to be played through HDMI under my playback devices on the laptop but it still just played through the laptop speakers. The sound setting is on standard for the receiver and not straight. I don't get it.
post #1017 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Returning it is still in the cards! I was previously running a Denon 3802. I found the denon/klipsch sound quite pleasing.

What do the klipsch sound like when you put the 2010 in pure direct mode? There's always the Denon 3312 or 4311 as an option for you.
post #1018 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerB31 View Post

Hey guys, I can't seem to get sound througha nything but my laptop when connecting it to the receiver through HDMI to watch a movie. Any ideas on what's wrong? I have the RX-A810 and set sound to be played through HDMI under my playback devices on the laptop but it still just played through the laptop speakers. The sound setting is on standard for the receiver and not straight. I don't get it.

What type of onboard video is in the laptop? You may have to go to the advanced graphics settings for your video card and set sound settings there. It would also be a good time to update your drivers.

Generally, the second the hdmi cable to plugged into the laptop, the sound automatically gets sent via hdmi. Of course, different onboard audio works a bit different in this respect.
post #1019 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdang View Post

I have a 1010 joined with RFs- 5 speakers plus Hsu. No problems with the 1010 or the Yammie 2600 I had before that. Keep tweaking. That's half the fun of owning such great gear

Agreed. I've found that speakers that have a naturally bright sound will sound best with the ypao:natural eq, where speakers that aren't as bright and detailed sound better eq'd with a flat response.

One of the things I love about yamahas is that they have a very detailed, crisp sound when using flat eq. Though if you want a warmer sound, ypao:natural will give you that.
post #1020 of 2949 Old 04-25-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:

What type of onboard video is in the laptop? You may have to go to the advanced graphics settings for your video card and set sound settings there. It would also be a good time to update your drivers.

Generally, the second the hdmi cable to plugged into the laptop, the sound automatically gets sent via hdmi. Of course, different onboard audio works a bit different in this respect.

I'll have to check this out. It's an HP laptop but the HDMI playback device was disabled under the general sound settings but when I enabled it the sound still played through the laptop. I'm not sure what I can change through the onboard graphics but I'll take a look.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A710bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A810bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - A2010 by PriceGrabber.com