The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
BUMP for my issue:

My PC monitor is connected to my GPU aswell. When I turn the TV on, the PC monitor goes black, flickers a bit and then return to normal as the TV turns on. This is also quite weird as the TV is configured as an extended display. If I were to not go through the receiver the TV would turn on normally and the regular PC display would not have been affected.

I have tried that and played around with those settings. No change.

---
EDIT
When I turn the TV ON, the "HDMI" light stays on but this is how it goes.
TV OFF: "IN" lights up, rest is black.
TV ON: "IN" goes black, "OUT1" lights up then "IN" lights up again.
"OUT1" flashes once then and thats it.

I tried OUT2, same thing.

When I turn the TV OFF after it has been ON, the entire HDMI-logo and IN/OUT turns OFF entirely, then "HDMI" and "IN" lights up and I get sound/picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman View Post

2. I am an unapologetic Mac owner :-) Can I use the network functionality to access iTunes, or do I just need to run the digital out on my Mac as an audio input to the receiver like I currently do?

Bud,

You can do either. But.....

You will need to use third-party DLNA sever software on the Mac to access your music library (presumably iTunes) using the network functionality since iTunes will not directly stream to the receiver. This is a case where AppleTV @ $99 is a no brainer, IMHO. The ATV menus are far more polished than the on-screen interface provided by the receiver and you don't need anything running in the background on the Mac other than iTunes.

Alternatively, if you have a iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch you can stream music directly from your handheld device using the free Yamaha app as well as fully control the receiver provided the receiver is on the network. I find that I hardly ever use the Yamaha dock at this point since streaming via wifi is so seamless and I can control everything from the phone in my pocket from anywhere in the house.

In addition, the speakers in my 5.1 setup are 6 ohm and so far so good driving multiple zones.

(ps. I have an A2010, YMMV.)
post #1053 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

Bud,

You can do either. But.....

You will need to use third-party DLNA sever software on the Mac to access your music library (presumably iTunes) using the network functionality since iTunes will not directly stream to the receiver. This is a case where AppleTV @ $99 is a no brainer, IMHO. The ATV menus are far more polished than the on-screen interface provided by the receiver and you don't need anything running in the background on the Mac other than iTunes.

Alternatively, if you have a iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch you can stream music directly from your handheld device using the free Yamaha app as well as fully control the receiver provided the receiver is on the network. I find that I hardly ever use the Yamaha dock at this point since streaming via wifi is so seamless and I can control everything from the phone in my pocket from anywhere in the house.

In addition, the speakers in my 5.1 setup are 6 ohm and so far so good driving multiple zones.

(ps. I have an A2010, YMMV.)

Thanks blue! I had never considered an ATV. I knew about the app, and have a Touch so I figured I would use that as a second remote since everyone else in the house seems to walk off with the remote and I can never find it. Are you saying that the ATV is a DLNA server, or it just does something similar as a work around. I need to research this more. Thanks again.

Bud
post #1054 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman View Post

Are you saying that the ATV is a DLNA server, or it just does something similar as a work around.

Something similar to DLNA, but Apple specific. (i.e. different, but it just works.)

Think of iTunes as the server on the Mac and ATV as the media player. Just like a DLNA server you need to configure iTunes (check one box) and leave it running in the background on the Mac to act as a server. Or you can just use 3rd-party DLNA software installed on the Mac. It will access your directories and stream the music directly to the Yamaha.

Or, you can leave the Mac out of it entirely and stream everything directly from the Touch using the Yamaha app.
post #1055 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 06:21 AM

Have a RX-A3000 and looking to buy a Emotiva XPA-3, I have never had and Amp before so new to how all this works, so here's first (dumb)question.
I have a 5.1 setup, and have the current PowerAmp setting on 7channel Normal, since I will be using an Amp that will be connected to the Front L/R and Center, which PowerAmp setting do I now need to choose.

Thanks
Rustolemite
post #1056 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 AM

One more question about using an external Amp, what type of wire do I need to use the +12V Trigger Output between the Amp and my RX-A3000? And if you can a link to what type and maybe where to buy?

Thanks alot
Rustolemite
post #1057 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

I just wanted to share a rather frustrating experience I've had with getting a router-based USB drive operating as an NAS Media Server to work with the 3010 using the Yamaha AV Control App. The Control App would work for maybe 10 minutes at a time and would eventually lock-up, then the NAS would disappear from the list of available media servers on the network. I tested this with my Droid X and an Ipod Touch Gen. 3, both with identical issues as described above. Figuring it was network related, I tried everything I could think of like assigning static IPs to the 3010 and Droid X/Ipod, reconfiguring UPnP to a shorter broadcast frequency and increased time-to-live hops, and even reformatted my NAS to Linux EXT3 file system, all to no avail. Although on a side note, I have seen an increase of +5MB transferring files to the NAS after formatting to EXT3 which was a huge plus.

Anyway, I scoured the web and couldn't find a solution, although the reviews on the Android Control App from other Droid X owners also had complaints of force closes, so I figured it was time to look at the Droid X itself. I noticed that the issue only happens after the screen times out when streaming from my NAS, but it does not happen when streaming from the Droid X itself. In the Droid X advanced Wi-Fi options, there is a Wi-Fi Sleep Policy that was set to turn off Wi-Fi when the screen turns off. I'd forgotten this option was there, and I swear I remember disabling this option some time back. Anyway, I set it to never turn off and voilÃ*, that was the ticket. I'm now happily using my phone with the Control App and my NAS. My entire FLAC library is again available to me. I still get a force close once in a while, but that has more to do with my overall NAS' performance. The app at least recovers without dropping the media server. I'm happy.

So I hope this might help someone who might be having a similar issue.

I read, with great interest, this thread, in the hope that it would solve my similar problem.

All of my mp3 files are on my main computer - my 2010, on my home wifi network, accesses all of the music folders and songs within from that computer EXCEPT my FLAC files. The Yamaha will show the FLAC folder but none of the songs that are in the folder - if, as a test, I put in an mp3 file into that FLAC folder that song can be seen and accessed. I cannot figure out why only the FLAC songs are not being found. (Note: The FLAC songs will play when put on a USB drive and plugged into the front of the 2010)
post #1058 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post

One more question about using an external Amp, what type of wire do I need to use the +12V Trigger Output between the Amp and my RX-A3000? And if you can a link to what type and maybe where to buy?

Thanks alot
Rustolemite

Preferably copper wire. But most importantly, you just need the correct connectors. So if it's like my A3010, you need a mono (or stereo) 3.5mm at the receiver and then whatever connector goes into the external amp. I had to make my own out of 2 different cables. They are impossible to find. Most people suggest obtaining connectors at Radio Shack. You just have to make sure you get the polarity correct between the two devices.
post #1059 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 AM
gce

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Is that router part of ATT service? Not that I know anything about it, I'm just curious as I think it would be pretty cool for the vendor to supply media server capabilities with their router. With my service (Verizon FIOS), I can't always get the router to do what I want so I gave up and installed my own router behind the FIOS router so that I have more control.

There's no USB on the att router as I thought. So I'll have to go another route...(pun intended)!
post #1060 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks, I meant to say "cable" not wire sorry, but just want to make sure I get the right cable to go between the Emotiva XPA-3 and my RX-A3000.
post #1061 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
gce

Quote:

Thanks, I meant to say "cable" not wire sorry, but just want to make sure I get the right cable to go between the Emotiva XPA-3 and my RX-A3000.

Emotive has cables on there web site. http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/interconnects
post #1062 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post

All of my mp3 files are on my main computer - my 2010, on my home wifi network, accesses all of the music folders and songs within from that computer EXCEPT my FLAC files. The Yamaha will show the FLAC folder but none of the songs that are in the folder - if, as a test, I put in an mp3 file into that FLAC folder that song can be seen and accessed. I cannot figure out why only the FLAC songs are not being found. (Note: The FLAC songs will play when put on a USB drive and plugged into the front of the 2010)

I suspect the problem is with the DLNA server software in use on your computer. Not all DLNA media severs will properly stream all audio formats, particularly more advanced and/or obscure formats.

FWIW, I'm using a self-contained NAS (an older ReadyNAS Duo) running Twonky software and the Yamaha can see and play the FLAC files just fine over the network.
post #1063 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Have a RX-A3000 and looking to buy a Emotiva XPA-3, I have never had and Amp before so new to how all this works, so here's first (dumb)question.
I have a 5.1 setup, and have the current PowerAmp setting on 7channel Normal, since I will be using an Amp that will be connected to the Front L/R and Center, which PowerAmp setting do I now need to choose.

Thanks
Rustolemite

That should be the right setting, you shouldn't have to change it. I've never used the internal amps on my 3010 and from the start I had it hooked up to my 2-channel and 5-channel amp with the default Power Amp setting and it worked just fine, although I have changed it since after adding presence speakers and also to fine tune the trigger options. Anyway, Just make sure to connect everything correctly, preamp out to external amp, then connect the speakers to the external amp. Then, if you haven't already done so just make sure the speaker configuration is set to 5.1.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #1064 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:

The Emo amp comes with a trigger cable. Just installed a XPA-5 on my system this morning.
post #1065 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 02:11 PM
gce

Quote:

I read, with great interest, this thread, in the hope that it would solve my similar problem.

Jim...I had the same problem with my Flac files. I downloaded "Asset UPnP" (google it) and it works great to stream your files from your computer to your Yamaha.
post #1066 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanast View Post

The Emo amp comes with a trigger cable. Just installed a XPA-5 on my system this morning.

Same here. My XPA-3 came with the trigger cable included.
post #1067 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks alot
Rustolemite

The XPA-3 will take a 3.5" mono (or stereo) plug, which is the same as the the AVR. If there isn't one in the box, just grab one from radio shack. You don't need anything fancy.

post #1068 of 2911 Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 PM

Okay, in the specs for the Aventage series, it sez: This AV Receiver will upscale video signals up to 1080p. HDTVs capable of 720p, 1080i or 1080p resolution can provide more detailed picture.

I have the 1010. And a 1080p tv, admittedly not too great, 60 Hz, low end LG.

I can't find in the manual how to set 1010 to upscale. In the Set Up - Video menu, I only have the Auto and Thru options on Resolution. How do I get it to Upscale? I realize it may not really need to, I just want to know. Help greatly appreciated.
post #1069 of 2911 Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

Emotive has cables on there web site. http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/interconnects

Yeah, they've got plenty of cables, but no trigger cables.
post #1070 of 2911 Old 04-29-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The XPA-3 will take a 3.5" mono (or stereo) plug, which is the same as the the AVR. If there isn't one in the box, just grab one from radio shack. You don't need anything fancy.

Yep RS should have them, or monoprice, parts express.
Either a mono or stereo 3.5mm cable will work.
post #1071 of 2911 Old 04-29-2012, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdang View Post

I can't find in the manual how to set 1010 to upscale. In the Set Up - Video menu, I only have the Auto and Thru options on Resolution. How do I get it to Upscale? I realize it may not really need to, I just want to know. Help greatly appreciated.

FWIW, only the A2010 and A3010 have a dedicated high performance HD video processor. The processor in the A1010 will only scale standard definition sources (i.e 480i). In the manual you can see the video settings on pages 108/109 and the processing matrix on p. 136.
post #1072 of 2911 Old 04-29-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

FWIW, only the A2010 and A3010 have a dedicated high performance HD video processor. The processor in the A1010 will only scale standard definition sources (i.e 480i). In the manual you can see the video settings on pages 108/109 and the processing matrix on p. 136.

Thanks!

I never looked in the Gossary section -- d'oh!

If I use the Skip setting mentioned on p. 119 will that force Output at that resolution, or is the Signal in always the determining factor?
post #1073 of 2911 Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Jim...I had the same problem with my Flac files. I downloaded "Asset UPnP" (google it) and it works great to stream your files from your computer to your Yamaha.

Thank you, I will have to look into that!!
post #1074 of 2911 Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you, I will have to look into that!!

Jim, it's gonna depend on a number of factors as not all media servers/players support FLAC. Some can be remedied with a codec/plugin, but like gce said, an easy solution is to grab Asset UPnP.

Additionally, you can find information on FLAC hardware/software support here (scroll toward bottom of page for software info).

post #1075 of 2911 Old 04-30-2012, 01:00 AM

How does the A710 and the A810 handle Polk Audio RTi-A7 speakers as fronts and 2 channel?

Can anyone let me know how they sound with the Yammy for music please?

Thanks
post #1076 of 2911 Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM
gce

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimaikid View Post

How does the A710 and the A810 handle Polk Audio RTi-A7 speakers as fronts and 2 channel?

Can anyone let me know how they sound with the Yammy for music please?

Thanks

I have the A7's with the A810 and you have know these speakers are 80% HT and 20% music. Not to say they sound that bad with music. I had my crossovers modified so now they sound much, much better with music.

Go to this forum to find out more about your speakers and what you can do to improve them. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/ Look up Vr3...hes the one that does crossover mod's!
post #1077 of 2911 Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM

I'm scratching my head right now. Since getting my 3010 six weeks ago, the sub has never sounded right. My sub is capable of 15-16Hz, but since having the 3010 it just seemed lacking in that department. Also, when I first ran YPAO, my mains, center, and front right presence were detected as out of phase. I checked all the cables and they were right, but I changed the polarity on the speakers anyway assuming that the 3010 was accounting for relative phase. However, it didn't sound right so I changed it back and the tight bass returned.

For the sub, I ran the unit with YPAO and without it using manual adjustment with my SPL in "Through" mode. "Through" did sound better with my sub, but it was still lacking. I also tried the advice from Venemous by disconnecting the sub and running YPAO, then manually tweaking after. Still, it didn't sound right. Thanks nevertheless, Venemous .

Although YPAO didn't detect a phase problem with the sub, yesterday I reversed the phase anyway after remembering the experience with the reported out-of-phase on my mains. I changed the sub phase in the 3010 settings and BAM, the walls started shaking and I was almost thrown from my couch. The Incredible Hulk has never sounded so incredible destroying those helicopters and sonic-blasting-jeeps.

Yamaha, why you not want me have bass?

edit: I also wanted to note that after changing the phase I had to remove my manual settings and actually had to reduce the 49Hz frequency by -.5 in the PEQ, everything else set flat.

post #1078 of 2911 Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm scratching my head right now. Since getting my 3010 six weeks ago, the sub has never sounded right. My sub is capable of 15-16Hz, but since having the 3010 it just seemed lacking in that department. Also, when I first ran YPAO, my mains, center, and front right presence were detected as out of phase. I checked all the cables and they were right, but I changed the polarity on the speakers anyway assuming that the 3010 was accounting for relative phase. However, it didn't sound right so I changed it back and the tight bass returned.

For the sub, I ran the unit with YPAO and without it using manual adjustment with my SPL in "Through" mode. "Through" did sound better with my sub, but it was still lacking. I also tried the advice from Venemous by disconnecting the sub and running YPAO, then manually tweaking after. Still, it didn't sound right. Thanks nevertheless, Venemous .

Although YPAO didn't detect a phase problem with the sub, yesterday I reversed the phase anyway after remembering the experience with the reported out-of-phase on my mains. I changed the sub phase in the 3010 settings and BAM, the walls started shaking and I was almost thrown from my couch. The Incredible Hulk has never sounded so incredible destroying those helicopters and sonic-blasting-jeeps.

Yamaha, why you not want me have bass?

Did you make the change after running YPAO with the sub connected?

Is the opportunity to change sub phase from "out of to in" or "in to out of" located in the Manual speaker settings?

Thanks.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #1079 of 2911 Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello everyone! I'm not particularly experienced with AVR's, so I'm hoping some of you hear can help me make the right decision on my purchase. I'm considering the RX-A810. I've looked through the manual to see if this will do what I want, and while I think so, I am not 100% sure.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

We have an HTPC in our living room connected to an Epson 8350 projector. I have an older Yahama (RX-1400 I think) that is connected via an optical link. Our bedroom shares a wall with the living room and we had a Samsung HD2300 TV in there. I tried using an XBox as an extender, but since you can't play ripped DVD's, Blu Rays, etc., it didn't meet our needs.

My HPTC has two HDMI outs on it, so I tried hooking one to the projector and one to the Samsung, but discovered that Windows won't put out audio on both HDMI and optical at the same time, so when the Samsung was plugged in, no audio was going out to the AVR. I briefly considered writing some script that could used to switch the audio output, but I'd like to keep this as simple as possible. A switch wouldn't work as I'd need some way to trigger it from the other room which would mean running another cable, plus just another thing to go wrong at some point.

So, I decided that an AVR that could do dual HDMI outputs is probably the way to go and I've been jumping around trying to find one that won't break the bank and can put out the same thing on two HDMI outputs simultaneously. One kicker though is that I'd like it to be able to pass through HDMI when it is off, so if we want to watch TV in the bedroom, there won't be sound coming out in the living room as well (unless we actually want to watch both at the same time, which may happen on occasion).

The only other things I really want to do with it is hook up my Wii (I can do either the component or composite connections) and have it go out over the HDMI, and have some type of dynamic range control (Wife is REALLY tired of having to crank it to hear dialogue, then getting our ears blown out when an explosion or something happens). On the DRC, I've used the setup function on my existing Yamaha several times to make sure everything is set properly and my speakers (Paradigms) all seem to be working fine, so not sure why we have this problem so bad other than possibly the receiver being so bad.

So will the 810 fit my needs or does anyone have any better recommendations? I'd like to keep the budget no more than what the 810 goes for, but there is a little bit of flexibility.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
post #1080 of 2911 Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

Did you make the change after running YPAO with the sub connected?

Is the opportunity to change sub phase from "out of to in" or "in to out of" located in the Manual speaker settings?

Thanks.

Shelly

I changed it after running YPAO with the sub connected, but really it can be changed anytime. Yes, it's under the Manual Setup in the Configuration section. Select the sub, and it should prompt with "Use" or "None" to enable/disable the sub. Select "Use" to enable the sub, and it should drill-down to a sub-menu to select "Normal" or "Reverse" phase. At least that's how it is on the 3010.

Hope that helps.

edit: I also wanted to note that after changing the phase I had to remove my manual settings and actually had to reduce the 49Hz frequency by -.5 in the PEQ, everything else set flat.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A710bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A810bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page