The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2949 Old 12-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

Personally, I think some directors get carried away with the elevated Dynamic range capabilities. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something.

You hit the nail squarely on the head. Directors, who are intimately familiar with the script, need to consider that their audience is not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2949 Old 12-31-2011, 09:09 PM

Any comments on the video processing quality in the A710 and A810? The published specs don't name a specific chipset and don't indicate where in the Aventage line there's an upgraded processor. I'm trying to decide between one of these or a Pioneer VSX1121, which uses an upgraded Qdeo video, which is supposed to be excellent. Your input is appreciated. Thanks! -TMc
post #183 of 2949 Old 12-31-2011, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The 2x00/3x00 have a high quality 3rd party video processor. Lower models do not.
post #184 of 2949 Old 01-01-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

Try an SD source and see what happens. Perhaps HDMI output is controlled in HD? Sorry, that's just a guess.

Is this your first experience with lossless audio tracks? The dynamic range is quite a bit higher than with standard Dolby or DTS. Personally, I think some directors get carried away with the elevated Dynamic range capabilities. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something.

The problem with setting the center channel higher is that transitions from side to center will sound odd. Do make sure you've used YPAO to set up the speakers. Also, listen to a test tone from all the speakers sequentially after YPAO setup. A microphone is just not the same as a pair of ears. I fine tune the volume of each speaker by ear after YPAO setup. Also, I recommend measuring the distance from each speaker to your prime listening position and setting that manually. It can make quite a big difference in perceived sound quality, at least to me.

After properly adjusting your system, if the dynamic range is still too high you have three options:

1. Select the standard DTS or Dolby soundtrack.

2. Use "night" mode to compress the dynamic range. (I'm not sure what "Night" mode is called on the 1010.)

3. Adjust the center channel up some.

Try all 3 methods and use whichever is least objectionable to you. Remember, not all movies will make too much use of available dynamic range.

I should have guessed that something was awry after reviewing the initial YPAO setup and having every speaker value be identical.

I reran YPAO yesterday afternoon and every speaker had slightly different values which seems to make more sense. The center came out at +2.5db. I went ahead and bumped the center up to +5db. Have not had a chance to watch a movie on it since, but hopefully tonight.

Still have the issue of not being able to select a video resolution; only having "Auto" and "Through"; all the resolutions are grayed out.

Did update the FW to 1.8.

I have DirecTV DVR, BR/DVD, Xbox 360 Slim and PS3 connected via HDMI 1-4 and PS2 connected via component and all 5 output to HDMI 1.

Jerry

ÂExperience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
post #185 of 2949 Old 01-01-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbichsel View Post

Still have the issue of not being able to select a video resolution; only having "Auto" and "Through"; all the resolutions are grayed out.

Hi jbichsel, maybe try setting "Monitor Check" to Skip and then check if Resolution can be change.
post #186 of 2949 Old 01-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Thanks, got it.

Jerry

ÂExperience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
post #187 of 2949 Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Random question - any idea why the 810 allows for more inputs than it's big brothers?
post #188 of 2949 Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Random question - any idea why the 810 allows for more inputs than it's big brothers?

Hello there winston, good to hear from you. I have not been hanging around the BR forums and I don't visit the JVC thread much so it has been a long time.

When you say more inputs, what are you referring to exactly?

Per the Yamaha website they have the same number of HDMI, but the 810 does not have as many component, composite, or digital audio inputs.

From the website directly. Lookie here

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #189 of 2949 Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Hello there winston, good to hear from you. I have not been hanging around the BR forums and I don't visit the JVC thread much so it has been a long time.

When you say more inputs, what are you referring to exactly?

Per the Yamaha website they have the same number of HDMI, but the 810 does not have as many component, composite, or digital audio inputs.

From the website directly. Lookie here

Regards,

RTROSE

Greeting as well.

The 810 has the hdmi inputs mapped separately, which allows for also using the av inputs with component. On the 1010 and up, the hdmi and av inputs become effectively the same. Just seems backwards you can configure 9 to 10 sources with the 810, but only 7-8 with the 1010
post #190 of 2949 Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Can someone confirm that the A710 is able to browse a DLNA media library (in my case, served from a NAS) and select what music to play using its OSD?

In the manual it talks about doing this for music stored on a PC but technically that could be different than DLNA.

Thanks.

post #191 of 2949 Old 01-02-2012, 02:13 PM

Hi all.
I recently purchased a Yamaha Aventage 1010(and an Oppo BDP-93). What a nice piece of equipment, but I have a question I can't find the answer to myself. I hope someone here on the board can help.
I live in europe, and I run a fully grounded electrical installation including MD06-EU/SP

and screened powercables

but I noticed the Yamaha A1010 does not have a ground leg in the IEC power socket, so naturally I gathered it's not possible to ground it the normal way.

I want to have it grounded as I have some other "difficult" components that has introduced hum in my previous setup. I want to avoid that and also have the added benefit of a more secure electrical installation at the same time.
So i had a custom powercable made very much like the following for that purpose

But the question is what screw(s) are the grounding screws on this unit. I don't see any marking indicating anything on the backplane.

Can anybody help me with an answer to this?

Thanks in advance.
post #192 of 2949 Old 01-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Seems that best buy in the whole Philly area is out of A1010's,they must have sold well over Christmas. Really can't find any deals online for the 1010 so guess will have to wait for awhile. I was set on an xx00 series but now have discovered cannot play internal audio source such as the radio while watching TV. You can also do this with the V671/871 but I have seen some people complain of shutdowns when playing loud. I have never had a shutdown with my Yamaha V1400,which weighs in around 32 pounds as does the a1010, power supplies in the 1010 and up must be much better,otherwise would go for a 671/871 much lower cost. Have a new Panny P50st30 and a new BD-110
cable box,bluray,and roku are hooked up to the tv with HDMI, optical to the v1400 so I can have any audio source with any video I want,very flexable. Which makes me sort of wonder, do I really need a new AVR. The bluray player,Roku or TV take care of any streaming I need to do. The V1400 still sounds fantastic with all the power I might need.
Old Mike
post #193 of 2949 Old 01-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Rockman, are you sure you should try to defy Yamaha's obvious choice not to ground the unit? Your grounding attempt could actually cause hum instead of silence it.

post #194 of 2949 Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Greeting as well.

The 810 has the hdmi inputs mapped separately, which allows for also using the av inputs with component. On the 1010 and up, the hdmi and av inputs become effectively the same. Just seems backwards you can configure 9 to 10 sources with the 810, but only 7-8 with the 1010

Well that is strange for sure, and I do not have a good answer for you either. Truthfully I did not realize this about either unit. Guess I have not dug down deep enough into the user manual to find out. Of course it could have to do with the lower amount of component inputs on the 810, but that is purely a guess.

I know on my Onkyo 507 it treats the component and HDMI like the upper level Yamaha's so this is something I'm used to.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #195 of 2949 Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 AM

Well I guess I should not have read these threads I have decided to upgrade to an a1010 from a
V1400,wife did not get too upset. Anyhow got what I think is a ok deal from Onecall,they have an open box for 200 off their normal price, but the lady told me I could get a new one for 175 off, so I took the new one. What have I done, this cost more than my new 3d plasma.
EDIT: This afternoon the comcast guy came knocking at the door, I have FIOS,anyhow they gave me a package for a year that will save me about $700 over what I pay now so the new AVR will cost me about $125, hopefully their HD feed is close to FIOS. All in all, a good day.
Old Mike
post #196 of 2949 Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM

If I purchase a XBR-55HX929 with the intent of only connecting a single HDMI cable from an AVR (Yamaha RX-A1010 or RX-A2010) with PS3, 360, Wii, Dish Network VIP922, N64, 3DO, and Jaguar connected, which would be better... to let the Bravia do the processing, the Advantage, or some combination?
post #197 of 2949 Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Seeing its an XBR, I would try the tv first for processing. Then try the onboard and see which you like better.
post #198 of 2949 Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM
jrs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do the x010's have a volume overlay, that works over hdmi?

Thanks...
post #199 of 2949 Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post

Do the x010's have a volume overlay, that works over hdmi?

Thanks...

Yes. You can turn it off, unlike the previous year's model (which ruffled some feathers--though not mine).
post #200 of 2949 Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Question to Aventage, especially 1010 owners.
I plan to have a setup
Sony Bravia TV <-[ HDMI (CEC, ARC) ]-- RX-A1010 <-[ HDMI ]-- Blu Ray and other devices.
I would expect following:
Pressing Bluray button on remote results: Receiver switches to Bluray input and TV switches to AV input (HDMI1).
Pressing TV button on remote results: Receiver switches to TV (ARC) input and TV switches to internal tuner.

Manual is very vague on that area, it only mentions that if I press on-screen menu, TV will display that.
So based on practical experience, is Yamaha able to fulfill my expectations?
Thanks.
post #201 of 2949 Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR24 View Post

Question to Aventage, especially 1010 owners.
I plan to have a setup
Sony Bravia TV <-[ HDMI (CEC, ARC) ]-- RX-A1010 <-[ HDMI ]-- Blu Ray and other devices.
I would expect following:
Pressing Bluray button on remote results: Receiver switches to Bluray input and TV switches to AV input (HDMI1).
Pressing TV button on remote results: Receiver switches to TV (ARC) input and TV switches to internal tuner.

Manual is very vague on that area, it only mentions that if I press on-screen menu, TV will display that.
So based on practical experience, is Yamaha able to fulfill my expectations?
Thanks.

Do you use a cable/sat box? What do you want to happen when you press the TV scene button?
post #202 of 2949 Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

Do you use a cable/sat box? What do you want to happen when you press the TV scene button?

I use lot of different boxes, but all these are connected to receiver. TV will use only one external input -- a HDMI cable coming from receiver.
So from TV perspective, it can either display picture from HDMI1 input or from its internal tuner.

I want TV to show video from its internal tuner when I press TV scene button on Yamaha remote (and receiver automatically to switch to ARC audio).
If I choose any other scene from Yamaha remote, I want TV to switch to its HDMI1 and receiver to switch to corresponding input.

May be I am expressing myself badly, here is what I'd like to have (Scene button -> TV input, Receiver input):
TV -> TV internal tuner, Receiver ARC
BD -> TV HDMI1, Receiver HDMI1
CD -> TV HDMI1, Receiver HDMI2
etc.

Or even more simply -- I want audio and video always to be in sync and switching to any device (including TV internal tuner) not to take more than one button on remote. Audio is always coming out from receiver, video from TV.
post #203 of 2949 Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman X View Post

Hi all.
I recently purchased a Yamaha Aventage 1010(and an Oppo BDP-93). What a nice piece of equipment, but I have a question I can't find the answer to myself. I hope someone here on the board can help.
I live in europe, and I run a fully grounded electrical installation including MD06-EU/SP
and screened powercables, but I noticed the Yamaha A1010 does not have a ground leg in the IEC power socket, so naturally I gathered it's not possible to ground it the normal way.

I want to have it grounded as I have some other "difficult" components that has introduced hum in my previous setup. I want to avoid that and also have the added benefit of a more secure electrical installation at the same time.
So i had a custom powercable made very much like the following for that purpose

But the question is what screw(s) are the grounding screws on this unit. I don't see any marking indicating anything on the backplane.

Can anybody help me with an answer to this?

Thanks in advance.

Adding a power cord with a ground will do no good. I looked at the rear panel image and that connection only has 2 prongs. So connecting a cord with a ground does really no good. The only ground connection on the 1010 is for a turntable, and connecting the power cord ground to it may or may not be a good thing. The 1010 has been engineered to work like a double insulated power tool, that has only two prongs.
Having all equipment with grounds in no way assures you won't have a hum in the system.
I had that problem years ago with a subwoofer. The only way I could get rid of that hum was to connect the sub to the last outlet of that room's dedicated circuit. There were a total of 5 outlets and my power strip, for the other gear, was connected to the 3rd outlet.
post #204 of 2949 Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR24 View Post

Or even more simply -- I want audio and video always to be in sync and switching to any device (including TV internal tuner) not to take more than one button on remote. Audio is always coming out from receiver, video from TV.

In order to switch to the TV's tuner using the Yamaha remote, you'll have to use the "input" button to toggle through your TV's inputs. Unless I'm mistaken, you won't be able to switch to the TV's tuner using a "scene" button.
post #205 of 2949 Old 01-07-2012, 05:05 PM

Well A1010 in the house V-1400 in the box. That being said not sure I am impressed yet.
Ran YPAO once single setting, sub at-3 which is ok, but not getting base slam in movies,turned on extra base did not help much. Set level to +3 and turned up sub much better, but had to turn up sub quite a bit. Trying to get to sound at least as good as
V1400. Need to read more on how to set up scene 5 want tv video, with tuner.
Also I guess a scene 6 tv video with pandora.
Still need to mess with it quite a bit to get set up.
I would say music on par with V1400 did not listen to much, but want to get it better than V1400.
More ypao runs tomorrow. I see it has no screen saver mode with pandora or other net audio,but you can gray the screen, for plasma rather have screen saver.
Old Mike
post #206 of 2949 Old 01-08-2012, 08:53 AM

Ah,much less frustration now A1010,finally figured out how to play the radio or pandora with a tv picture,this setting seems to be global, even overrides the built in radio scene. Also cannot set up a scene 5 with it and then turn it off after the scene is set up. But that is ok,happy now. Just in case anyone else wants to do this.
1 Select tuner.
2 Hit onscreen button, select input.
3 Curser up button,select video out by hitting enter
4 Select AV2 curser down, hit enter,then back out with the return button
Old Mike
post #207 of 2949 Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 AM
gce

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post

Ah,much less frustration now A1010,finally figured out how to play the radio or pandora with a tv picture,this setting seems to be global, even overrides the built in radio scene. Also cannot set up a scene 5 with it and then turn it off after the scene is set up. But that is ok,happy now. Just in case anyone else wants to do this.
1 Select tuner.
2 Hit onscreen button, select input.
3 Curser up button,select video out by hitting enter
4 Select AV2 curser down, hit enter,then back out with the return button
Old Mike

That's pretty cool...thanks Mike!
post #208 of 2949 Old 01-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks GCE. You can of course also set the video input up for Pc input when you play music,and this will also save your plasma from burn in if you have one. I have the base better now,with some more YPAO runs, but it still looks like will have to turn up sub manually for movies to get that room shaking effect on explosions, then turn it back down again for music. Unless there is another way to do this.
I am happy with the volume of the a1010 compared to the v1400, have played at max and it is really loud,I wanted to stress it to make sure there were no early failures before,I do the warranty. With PC music I see I had to turn on (repeat all) to get it to play one song after another.
All is well now,music sounds good,switching works.
Just have to set up the remote for tv on and off,hopefully easier.
Probably many other tweaks.
EDIT: Watching T2 dvd set up as 5.1 sys, getting pretty good base with vol only at -31,before was just watching from Tv.
Sounds really really good,now.
Also don't believe you can assign video inputs, with internal audio on the xx00 series, that is why I went with A1010.
Old Mike
post #209 of 2949 Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 PM

I am a new owner of a 2010 in the process of building out the rest of my system. After auditioning over a dozen pairs of bookshelf speakers I settled on the Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grands as my favorite. However, I am hearing that these 4 ohm speakers are very demanding and may not be a good fit for the 2010. Can anyone comment on this?
post #210 of 2949 Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Here is a link to the Vienna Acoustics thread where this discussion originated.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21457974
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A710bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A810bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - A2010 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page