The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread - Page 98 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2911 of 2925 Old 07-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I no longer need help with this issue. Turns out that my comcast modem/router had some sort of issue that caused me to lose my Ethernet connection (wifi was fine). I reset it several times with no change. Called comcast and was asked to reset it and magically it is now working. I have yet another reason to dislike comcast. X1 ongoing issues and now this. I just wasted two hours of my day. Now to get those ribs on the grill, because I simply could I not grill without music and knowing that I had an AV issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2925 Old 08-02-2014, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
issues with RX A-810 V-AUX

Hi All

I own RX A-810 and am not able to use V-AUX HDMI cable for connecting my laptop or STB. When I connect a laptop, the screensaver is visible on the screen. In the case of STB, only the video output is visible on TV, but the audio is not audible through AVR speakers. Everything is working fine with the HDMI in points at the back. Any pointers on what might be wrong are appreciated.

Thanks
post #2913 of 2925 Old 08-06-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 3010 and have recently completed the YAPO still working out the bugs to get my correct sound. It is quite clear and powerful.

I do agree that all of the buttons on the remote are small, too many and confusing. Also that the setup is a bit tricky to remember where it is all located.

One thing that I noticed is that YAPO must have an empty room to work correctly. I know because I was lazy the first time and did not empty my room.
post #2914 of 2925 Old 08-06-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingsteve View Post
One thing that I noticed is that YAPO must have an empty room to work correctly.
Interesting proposition. I've had four Yamaha receivers with YPAO (current one is an A2010), and I don't recall ever reading that in any of their owner's manuals. I find it hard to believe that enthusiasts who frequently run YPAO (or Audyssey) would ever bother using it, if they were expected to always completely empty the room beforehand.

Also... isn't it the whole point of "room correction" software to compensate for the size, shape and contents of the room?

Could you possibly elaborate?....
post #2915 of 2925 Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingsteve View Post
I have the 3010 and have recently completed the YAPO still working out the bugs to get my correct sound. It is quite clear and powerful.

I do agree that all of the buttons on the remote are small, too many and confusing. Also that the setup is a bit tricky to remember where it is all located.

One thing that I noticed is that YAPO must have an empty room to work correctly. I know because I was lazy the first time and did not empty my room.
I've removed objects and miscellaneous furniture hoping for an improvement in the past. Anything that won't be in the room during playback needs to be removed IMO. Taking the coffee table out permanently was a good step.
For me I seemed to get the best results when the room, and the rest of the house, was dead quite. No dishwasher, dryer, kids, etc. running in the next room.
The nearly sound proof room took care of this little pet peave.
Now I wish I could fill the seats during the setup, our room sounds its best with people seated in the room.

YPAO needs to be watched and rerun when the numbers displayed are funky.
post #2916 of 2925 Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also found it hard to believe and , as you, thought that the whole idea was to correct for the room, contents, setup etc?????? However http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...a3010_black_u/ go to Support then look at the last two downloadable manuals easy set up guide pg. 6 in the upper rectangle 6th bullet point. It is also stated again in the last download pg 49. ?????

The other thing that i found odd was that it stated to set volume on woofer at 1/2 but also said to set crossover to max. Just thought you would set it somewhat close to desired listening as a starting point.

When i ran it the 1st time with the furniture in the room, 10 theater seats it came up with all sorts of crazy distances, levels were set from 0 to -10. The worst being my subs at -10 and gave error code W-3 found on pg 55 of the last download.

It sounded horrible. I have 2- HSU Research VTF3-MK4's subs AWESOME and highly recommend them if you are a base head. 2- KLIPSCH RB8-1 surround rears, 2- RS5211 surrounds, RC52 11 center and Jamo towers as the fronts cant remember model

Removed the seats started over and one hell of a difference. Still customizing the settings but much improved. No errors base set to -2, which i changed of course. Distances very close, i measured. respectable levels.

I am running 7.2 presently and am looking to upgrade to the full 11.2 with both front and rear presence. More Klipsch RS5211's.
post #2917 of 2925 Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I see nothing in the manual (yes I went to page 46...) about removing furniture from the room. Rather, the implication seems to be to keep the room quiet but otherwise exactly as one would have the room when listening to music.

Last edited by nathan_h; 08-07-2014 at 08:19 AM.
post #2918 of 2925 Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
^ ^ Exactly.

On page 47 in the A2010's manual (and on page 6 in its Easy Setup Guide), it states:

"YPAO measurement is not performed correctly when any obstacles are in the room."

"During the measuring process (about three minutes), keep stuff in the corners or remove it from the room."

I think it's fairly obvious that by "obstacles" and "stuff", Yamaha is referring to objects in the room (lamps, art objects sitting on tables/stands...) that -- because of their size and position -- could possibly obstruct the soundpath between the speakers and the YPAO microphone. Regarding removing furniture... even if I were willing to do so, it seems fairly counter-intuitive to me to suppose that measurements made in an empty room would still apply, once the room's furnishings were replaced.

I appreciate your response, though. Perhaps, in cases where the room is a completely dedicated theater-room, and the room's only furniture is its theater-seating, it does work out to be better. The vast majority of us, however, whose home "theaters" are also our fully-furnished living rooms, do not enjoy such luxury.

Quote:
The other thing that i found odd was that it stated to set volume on woofer at 1/2 but also said to set crossover to max. Just thought you would set it somewhat close to desired listening as a starting point.
Not odd at all. Setting the crossover to max on the subwoofer allows you to set it in your AVR to whatever value works for your setup... the point being that your AVR should be the only instrument which controls any of your speakers' crossover settings.
nathan_h likes this.
post #2919 of 2925 Old 08-23-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 30
YPAO, SPL PEQ and manual setup

I have a Yamaha RX-A2010 (the rest of my equipment is in my signature and links below). I finally got an SPL meter and set my 7.1 system up this morning. I've never used all of the available YPAO tools before so I wanted to go through what I did and see if any of you who have also done a manual YPAO set up think I did it OK. Here's what I did:

1. Using the YPAO mike, I ran YPAO in automatic mode
  2. Once completed, I adjusted the speaker sizes (all to small) and some of the crossovers based on the capabilities of the specific speakers. For instance, I changed the front speakers to 60 because they are quite capable of going that low -- or lower. The rear-back speakers were changed to 90 because they are less capable.
  3. I then turned my 2010 volume to '0' and sent test tones to each individual speaker. Using the SPL, I adjusted YPAO settings up or down so that each speaker was putting out 75db. The sub was set 2db lower (73) as per the SVS Sound team.
  4. (From here on, I've never used these steps so I'm most interested in feedback about steps 4 and 5.) I then went into the Parametric Equalizer (PEQ) section of YPAO and changed the setting to manual, copying the FLAT settings obtained during the YPAO auto-setup run into the manual PEQ memory.
  5. Then I went into each speaker, looked at the speaker's response line and using YPAO's PEQ tools, I flattened each line out.
It sounds really good but I'm asking if this is the proper YPAO manual set up procedure?

Thanks in advance!

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.

Last edited by lflorack; 08-23-2014 at 12:21 PM.
post #2920 of 2925 Old 08-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I have a Yamaha RX-A2010 (the rest of my equipment is in my signature and links below). I finally got an SPL meter and set my 7.1 system up this morning. I've never used all of the available YPAO tools before so I wanted to go through what I did and see if any of you who have also done a manual YPAO set up think I did it OK. Here's what I did:

2. Once completed, I adjusted the speaker sizes (all to small) and some of the crossovers based on the capabilities of the specific speakers. For instance, I changed the front speakers to 60 because they are quite capable of going that low -- or lower. The rear-back speakers were changed to 90 because they are less capable.
  3. I then turned my 2010 volume to '0' and sent test tones to each individual speaker. Using the SPL, I adjusted YPAO settings up or down so that each speaker was putting out 75db. The sub was set 2db lower (73) as per the SVS Sound team.
  4. (From here on, I've never used these steps so I'm most interested in feedback about steps 4 and 5.) I then went into the Parametric Equalizer (PEQ) section of YPAO and changed the setting to manual, copying the FLAT settings obtained during the YPAO auto-setup run into the manual PEQ memory.
  5. Then I went into each speaker, looked at the speaker's response line and using YPAO's PEQ tools, I flattened each line out.
It sounds really good but I'm asking if this is the proper YPAO manual set up procedure?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to quote myself, but....

I think #5 is wrong. By doing that, I defeated everything that YPAO set to accommodate the room acoustics and the different speakers I'm using. I think using the manual tools are there to tweak the response curves to personal taste -- not wipe them out completely.

Will still be happy to hear other points about this.
Scarriere likes this.

post #2921 of 2925 Old 08-23-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think #5 is wrong. By doing that, I defeated everything that YPAO set to accommodate the room acoustics and the different speakers I'm using. I think using the manual tools are there to tweak the response curves to personal taste -- not wipe them out completely.

Yep step five pretty much undid ypao.

And step three shouldn't be necessary. How far off were the speakers before step three?
post #2922 of 2925 Old 08-23-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Quote:

I think <a href="http://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=5" target="_blank">#5 is wrong. By doing that, I defeated everything that YPAO set to accommodate the room acoustics and the different speakers I'm using. I think using the manual tools are there to tweak the response curves to personal taste -- not wipe them out completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Yep step five pretty much undid ypao.

And step three shouldn't be necessary. How far off were the speakers before step three?

Before Step #3 , most of the speakers were too high -- putting out between 76d-78b. So it was mostly tweaking to make them equal at 75db. I've reversed the effects of step #5 now. It was/is interesting to see what YPAO did to the equalizer (PEQ) settings to even out the room acoustics and speaker differences. There is a few odd peaks and dips.

So, my (after the fact) assumption that the manual PEQ tools are there just to allow to tweaking of the response curves to personal taste, is correct?

post #2923 of 2925 Old 08-23-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Before Step #3 , most of the speakers were too high -- putting out between 76d-78b. So it was mostly tweaking to make them equal at 75db. I've reversed the effects of step #5 now. It was/is interesting to see what YPAO did to the equalizer (PEQ) settings to even out the room acoustics and speaker differences. There is a few odd peaks and dips.

So, my (after the fact) assumption that the manual PEQ tools are there just to allow to tweaking of the response curves to personal taste, is correct?
Sure, or some people measure with a professional mic and a dedicated analysis software package and then dial in the PEQ manually.
post #2924 of 2925 Old 08-24-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Sure, or some people measure with a professional mic and a dedicated analysis software package and then dial in the PEQ manually.

Thanks nathan_h! Appreciate the feedback.

post #2925 of 2925 Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know if it is possible to overlay the GUI on the Video AUX (front panel) on the A2010 ?

Reason I ask is that I seem to be able to overlay the GUI on any other source input but using Video AUX it just blanks the screen and then displays the GUI!

Any info appreciated.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A710bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A810bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - A2010 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page