Sony MDR-DS7500 - World's first HDMI lossless 7.1 surround decoder/headphones - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 389 Old 09-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advizer View Post

The new model of wireless headphones from Sony: MDR-HW700DS.

Looks like pretty identical specs aside from the 9.1 (marketing more than real difference?), dual band transmission and 4K pass-through. I don't think there'll be much difference sound wise but I like the dual band option for people like me who live in a crowded 2.4Ghz frequency area. Overall that seems like a slightly dusted up MDR-DS7500 rather than a real upgrade on the model. Wonder what the street price will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 389 Old 10-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Does this work with the Av receiver output HDMI >>>>>>>>>>>> While all the other sources are connected to the receiver?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Or do they all need to be attached individually to the headphone AMP?
post #273 of 389 Old 10-12-2013, 03:33 AM

Picked a set up during my holiday in Japan. Not going through a receiver so connected directly and working well. Annoyingly though if I want to listen through TV speakers I have to switch the BD player audio setting from bitstream back to PCM.

Question, what kind of sound to you get if you set Effect to OFF? Is it still surround?

Someone on the Blu Ray forums suggested that using Cinema, Game & Voice mode is lossy and you only get lossless sound when set to OFF. Is this true?
post #274 of 389 Old 10-12-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post

Question, what kind of sound to you get if you set Effect to OFF? Is it still surround?
No. Just stereo.
Quote:
Someone on the Blu Ray forums suggested that using Cinema, Game & Voice mode is lossy and you only get lossless sound when set to OFF. Is this true?
"Lossless" pertains to the audio coding delivered from the BD player. Post-processing, like EQ and surrounds modes, is not "lossy" but of course it alters the audio.
post #275 of 389 Old 10-13-2013, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

No. Just stereo.
"Lossless" pertains to the audio coding delivered from the BD player. Post-processing, like EQ and surrounds modes, is not "lossy" but of course it alters the audio.

Great, thanks for clarifying.

post #276 of 389 Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM

A new Sony MDR-HW700DS 9.1 lossless is now out. Looks similar to the MDR-DS7500 with the added channels, 4K pass through and ARC.  http://store.aikotradingstore.com/sony-mdr-hw700ds-9-1-surround-sound-headphones/

post #277 of 389 Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyates View Post

A new Sony MDR-HW700DS 9.1 lossless is now out. Looks similar to the MDR-DS7500 with the added channels, 4K pass through and ARC.  http://store.aikotradingstore.com/sony-mdr-hw700ds-9-1-surround-sound-headphones/

I was looking into getting the MDR-DS7500, but decided to hold out for the new MDR-HW700DS. I ordered a set when they were released on 10/25 in Japan and received them today.

Thus far they seem quite nice. The leather earpads are exquisitely soft, which is a big change from the velour earpads on my previous Sennheiser RS220 wireless headphones. They also have significantly more low-end heft for movies than I thought they would. The sound seems decent enough for music; I have better wired headphones but nothing about the sound out of these strikes me as flawed in any significant way. My only real complaint thus far is the layout of the controls. I rarely remember the layout of the buttons on the headphones and removing them to look at what they do causes the headphones to automatically turn off.

The Cinema mode does seem to give voices a very hollow, echo-y sound. The good news is that applying DPLIIz or Neo:X via the base station while in Cinema mode seems to fix this. I'm not usually one to use virtual surround but I'm actually quite impressed by the effect. I can't tell much of a difference between DPLIIz and Neo:X but I haven't conducted much testing.

They're connected between the HDMI output of my Pioneer Elite SC-68 receiver and my TV. I was originally hesitant to add anything else in the chain as I use my TV as a monitor for my PC (PC->receiver->TV) and some devices in the past have had issues passing signals with a full 0-255 RGB color space. This seems to pass the signal without any issue and without the introduction of any noticeable lag. I had originally connected these to the second HDMI output on my receiver but unfortunately when the receiver was off and using the HDMI pass through, the supported formats got reduced to the lowest common denominator between connected devices which in this case was the simple 2 channel PCM and compressed Dolby Digital supported by the TV. By putting the headphones between the receiver's HDMI out and the TV I now get support for lossless formats plus the ability to leave the receiver off and take advantage of its pass through functionality.
beerhunt and Advizer like this.
post #278 of 389 Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM

Hello again everybody! I once asked here in this thread wheter this Sony MDR-DS7500 would work along with a computer.

Now, since I now have bought myself a new computer, I would just like to get an clearance whether this would work or not: I have my graphics card (Nvidia GTX 780, which supports bitstreaming) connected to the main unit of the MDR via an HDMI cable. From there, I have another HDMI cable from the main unit to my Benq screen.

Will I get sound and will I get picture? Shall the main sound source in the controlpanel/sound in Windows be set to my screen (since my screen has buildt in speakers)?
I hope someone understands my question and maybe someone have tried it or has the possibility to try it! smile.gif

Thanks!
Joar
post #279 of 389 Old 11-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash676 View Post

I was looking into getting the MDR-DS7500, but decided to hold out for the new MDR-HW700DS. I ordered a set when they were released on 10/25 in Japan and received them today...

Hi Flash676,

THX for a short review. I'll get them in a couple of weeks and will be able to compare them with my 7500s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joar Blom View Post

Will I get sound and will I get picture? Shall the main sound source in the controlpanel/sound in Windows be set to my screen (since my screen has buildt in speakers)?
I hope someone understands my question and maybe someone have tried it or has the possibility to try it! smile.gif

Hi Joar,

1. You'll get both. HDMI is for picture and sound.
2. Yes, you have to set Sony AMP as default output device. Set the maximum audio quality (192000 Hz) in audio settings menu. If you switch to CINEMA/GAME, you will be able to hear LFE stuff working during the surround testing sequence.

If you want bitsream HD-audio (Dolby TrueHD) from your PC to the headphone processor unit via HDMI, you need to install PotPlayer or Media Player Classic + ffdshow first (just google a little bit). Neither foobar nor VLC support bitstreaming. However, I would recommend foobar for 5.1-audio records.

Regards,
Advizer
Joar Blom likes this.
post #280 of 389 Old 11-15-2013, 02:03 PM

Thank you very much Advizer for your answer!
I'm right now using PowerDVD 13 which has all the support for bitstreaming lossless audio codecs!

Thanks again mate
/Joar
post #281 of 389 Old 11-15-2013, 05:32 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hello again everybody! I once asked here in this thread wheter this Sony MDR-DS7500 would work along with a computer.

Now, since I now have bought myself a new computer, I would just like to get an clearance whether this would work or not: I have my graphics card (Nvidia GTX 780, which supports bitstreaming) connected to the main unit of the MDR via an HDMI cable. From there, I have another HDMI cable from the main unit to my Benq screen.

Thanks!
Joar

You'll be fine.

My setup is:
Computer -> Receiver -> Headphone base station -> TV

Because both the receiver and headphone base station support HDMI pass-through, I simply turn on whichever one I want to use and leave the other off. Running directly to the headphone base station shouldn't make any difference for you. In my case, the only visible audio device in Windows is my receiver since it is the first device in the chain, but it successfully passes the audio wherever it needs to go, even while off.

You mentioned you have PowerDVD, which I use and works fine. There are also some other options for bitsteaming lossless formats. Another commercial product is ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre. For free software, XBMC can bitstream lossless audio from files but cannot play commercial Blu-ray discs with AACS protection. I never had to bother installing any other products or codecs, but some people prefer other options that require it.

By the way, the base station also supports multi-channel PCM, so you should be able to set your games to 7.1 and enjoy the benefits.
Joar Blom likes this.
post #282 of 389 Old 11-16-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash676 View Post

You'll be fine.

My setup is:
Computer -> Receiver -> Headphone base station -> TV

Because both the receiver and headphone base station support HDMI pass-through, I simply turn on whichever one I want to use and leave the other off. Running directly to the headphone base station shouldn't make any difference for you. In my case, the only visible audio device in Windows is my receiver since it is the first device in the chain, but it successfully passes the audio wherever it needs to go, even while off.

You mentioned you have PowerDVD, which I use and works fine. There are also some other options for bitsteaming lossless formats. Another commercial product is ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre. For free software, XBMC can bitstream lossless audio from files but cannot play commercial Blu-ray discs with AACS protection. I never had to bother installing any other products or codecs, but some people prefer other options that require it.

By the way, the base station also supports multi-channel PCM, so you should be able to set your games to 7.1 and enjoy the benefits.

Thank you Flash676 for that excellent reply! I will now order myself a set of these headphones and base station so that I get them in time for chritmas! smile.gif
post #283 of 389 Old 11-17-2013, 07:15 PM

I have a Denon AVR2113C that's connected to a Pioneer Elite. The speakers come off the back of the denon - they are wall speakers.

How do I know if the Denon HDMI is sending audio as well as video so that I can insert the DS7500 between?

I dont want to disrupt the existing speaker sound, just keep that low and use the HP.

post #284 of 389 Old 11-21-2013, 01:13 PM

I just saw a new pair of headphones. They're called "Sony MDR HW700DS". The principal with those must be the same as with the MDR-DS7500 right? Just some new features in them? smile.gif
post #285 of 389 Old 11-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

I just saw a new pair of headphones. They're called "Sony MDR HW700DS". The principal with those must be the same as with the MDR-DS7500 right? Just some new features in them? smile.gif

You mean: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357511/sony-mdr-ds7500-worlds-first-hdmi-lossless-7-1-surround-decoder-headphones/270#post_23888493
post #286 of 389 Old 11-22-2013, 05:55 AM

Yes exactly! Sorry, I had not seen that post. I will buy these instead of the MDR DS7500!
Does anyone know if the main processing unit shows up in the control panel/sound in Windows? For me right now, I can choose my Logitech G35 or my BenQ screen, since it's connected with HDMI and has buildt in speakers. I was wondering if the main unit will show up there if you have it connected smile.gif
post #287 of 389 Old 11-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the main processing unit shows up in the control panel/sound in Windows? For me right now, I can choose my Logitech G35 or my BenQ screen, since it's connected with HDMI and has buildt in speakers.

Yes, it's called "Sony AVAMP".
post #288 of 389 Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Yes, it's called "Sony AVAMP".

Awesome! Thanks mate! smile.gif
post #289 of 389 Old 11-24-2013, 06:09 AM

Does anyone have a GTX 780 graphics card who really can confirm that it supports bit-streaming (DTS-HD, TrueHD)? I have read on several forums that it should, but I thought I might as well ask here if anyone knows!
post #290 of 389 Old 11-24-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Does anyone have a GTX 780 graphics card who really can confirm that it supports bit-streaming (DTS-HD, TrueHD)?

Yes, here is a chart.
post #291 of 389 Old 11-24-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Yes, here is a chart.

Thanks again Advizer smile.gif
post #292 of 389 Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Eh, I kind of want the Sony MDR HW700DS but it doesn't seem enough of an upgrade to the DS7500 to matter. I haven't used NEO-6 on my DS7500 once, so I doubt I'd turn on NeoX often anyways, and I can barely hear the surround mix in the headphones as it is.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #293 of 389 Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 AM

Hello everybody,

I'm new here. Decided to register because did not found answer else where. I was thinking about Sennheiser RS220, but Sony MDR-DS7500 looks quit good alternative. The price is similar, but Sony gives much more options: 7.1 PCM, DTS-HD MA, TrueHD, +3 HDMI connections and more.

But not sure if DS7500 will be advantage for me, because I'll connect it by line in to the computer sound card. I'll not be connecting through HDMI to Console, BluRay player and so on... and probably will not get all this advantages. Besides Sennheiser RS220 - open type, so they will deliver more natural sound (I own Sennheiser HD555 open type for more when 7 years, and I still love them), and from the reviews I read about RS220 - much more comfortable and lighter.

The thing that concerns me more:

1) If somebody  were experiencing micro drops with RS220, when the distance between you and receiver was longer or because of extra obstacles?

2) Are the sound and comfort from Sony DS7500 compete with Sennheiser RS220?

3) How long battery live from Sony DS7500?

Thank you for your time and help,

Denisas P.

post #294 of 389 Old 11-28-2013, 02:30 PM

Denisas,

2) I think so
3) up to 18 hours
post #295 of 389 Old 11-30-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Eh, I kind of want the Sony MDR HW700DS but it doesn't seem enough of an upgrade to the DS7500 to matter. I haven't used NEO-6 on my DS7500 once, so I doubt I'd turn on NeoX often anyways, and I can barely hear the surround mix in the headphones as it is.

If you're not going to buy one of 4K/UHD-TVs, 7500s are nearly perfect. 700s have some useful gimmicks like OSD, 5 GHz wireless band and could work when being charged. I haven't had that "WOW"-feeling after having used 7500s for a year. It's not a quantum leap.
post #296 of 389 Old 12-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

If you're not going to buy one of 4K/UHD-TVs, 7500s are nearly perfect. 700s have some useful gimmicks like OSD, 5 GHz wireless band and could work when being charged. I haven't had that "WOW"-feeling after having used 7500s for a year. It's not a quantum leap.

question, which ones are better the Astros A40 or the 7500/700?

Im looking for a wireless set for games and bluray movies, for next gen consoles (I dont care about the mic, i dont play MP games)

Basically my question sums up to, which has the best, most realistic surround ( 5.1 is enough if its good)

Right now i have the Titton pro real surround headphones, they already old/breaking and not wireless and for PC i use the Roccat cave 5.1 connected to X-Fi also real surround, to tell you the truth, maybe im deaf but i kind of cant hear surround at all, i do hear it in tests when its just one sound source moving but in games and movies its confusing, i never had a feeling of something sounding from my back.

Sadly speakers is out of the question, im watching and gaming after midnight when everyone sleeps.

P.S. I heard that the new DTS Headphone X codec is the best most awesome virtual surround, its brand new and currently one one headphone set has is, the TB Earforce i60, its made for mac, works wit ha pC but its USB only so have to be just for the PC.
post #297 of 389 Old 12-24-2013, 01:55 PM

Just wanted to say that i received the Sony MDR HW700DS in christmas present today, and they are truly awesome! Works perfect with my GTX 780 and they deliver epic sound. I've watched Pacific Rim and used the Neo X to get 9.1 out from the 7.1 and it sure is some good stuuf!
Happy Xmas to you all!
post #298 of 389 Old 12-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to say that i received the Sony MDR HW700DS in christmas present today, and they are truly awesome! Works perfect with my GTX 780 and they deliver epic sound. I've watched Pacific Rim and used the Neo X to get 9.1 out from the 7.1 and it sure is some good stuuf!
Happy Xmas to you all!

is this your first surround headphones? Can you compare them to something else?

Thanks
post #299 of 389 Old 12-29-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViruzzX View Post

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViruzzX View Post

Thanks
Well, these headphones are the first lossless surround headphones I've had. But I have been using the Logitech G35 untill I got the Sony ones. Although the G35 isn't lossless, they still are 7.1. And if I compare the Sony against the G35, it sure is some difference between them.
post #300 of 389 Old 12-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Well, these headphones are the first lossless surround headphones I've had. But I have been using the Logitech G35 untill I got the Sony ones. Although the G35 isn't lossless, they still are 7.1. And if I compare the Sony against the G35, it sure is some difference between them.

I assume Sony better?

I have number of surround headphones (all wired) so im afraid to buy this not to get downgraded.

My first experience with virtual headphones was disappointing, I had back then the best most expensive Turtle Beach wireless set, which i sold after a week because i couldn't hear a difference.

Then I got Tritton AXpro which is real 5.1, they better but still i dont really hear surround, never had a feeling of something sounding from my back.
And on my PC i use real 5.1 Roccat Cave connected to X-Fi pro sound card, these have the drives angled and a bit better then Tritton pro.

I want to get HDMI set for all my game consoles consoles and bluray movies, I just dont want to pay for a set that its worse from the old one I have
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Wireless Digital Sorround Headphones System Mdr Ds7500 , Sony Wireless Stereo Surround Headphone System Mdr Ds7100 Japan Import
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page