Sony MDR-DS7500 - World's first HDMI lossless 7.1 surround decoder/headphones - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 403 Old 04-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advizer View Post

Neither SACD nor DVD-Audio is supported because of HDCP-protection. DSD->PCM is not a solution for MLP (DVD-Audio).
Yeah, that's the only way. If you should find out how to convert DVD-Audio into PCM using OPPO just let me know ;-) Another option - an HDCP stripper that supports multichannel HD-audio...

Can you clarify this? I'm honestly (no sarcasm) trying to understand what you mean. You said "if you should find out how to convert DVD-Audio into PCM using Oppo". Isn't that what any DVD-Audio player does? (not just Oppo). How else would a DVD-Audio player send audio out through HDMI other than converting it to PCM first?

Keep in mind, this is a general question, not one limited to the context of these headphones. I'm just trying to understand what you mean.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 403 Old 04-12-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Really sorry, guys, my bad (((

That's what I've found out. There's no way to bitstream DSD/DSF/DFF/MLP (from SACD/DVD-Audio/HDD) via HDMI to your ears as Sony blocked it on the software level using HDCP. Maybe there are no encryption keys for that sort of input signal.
I guess it's just some kind of marketing stuff: One should watch movies and play video games, but not to listen to multichannel audio recordings using the 7500s/700s.
BTW, if one has Oppo 103, he or she can convert the input signal to PCM and circumvent the limitation. I don't know if it has any negative impact on audio quality.
I've mentioned HDCP strippers before. Something like this would work for PS3 when trying to record your gameplay. It would also work for 2CH SACD/DVDA recordings wink.gif However, it wouldn't work for multichannel.
So, if you should find a device that could strip HDCP and support HD-audio, that would be the only way to make SACD/DVDA work in bitstream mode over HDMI. Again, I'm "talking" about the headphones.
post #363 of 403 Old 04-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I'm sure my Oppo BDP-93 is ultimately just sending out PCM for both DVD-Audio discs and SACDs to my 7500 headphone base unit. I'm sure having the player convert DSD/MLP to PCM before sending could affect audio quality in some fashion, but the way I figure it is: the headphones sound great, to be sure, but they're not so amazing that I could probably hear the difference between DSD and PCM, e.g. smile.gif

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #364 of 403 Old 04-17-2014, 05:35 AM

post #365 of 403 Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advizer View Post

So, if you should find a device that could strip HDCP and support HD-audio, that would be the only way to make SACD/DVDA work in bitstream mode over HDMI. Again, I'm "talking" about the headphones.
Let's say you could strip off the HDCP, and gain access to MLP and DSD. These headphones would have no idea what to do with those kind of signals. And remember, the headphones transmits PCM, so even if you could get DSD into the unit, and it understood DSD, it would still be converted to PCM (same as in a BD player) before you hear it.
Advizer likes this.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #366 of 403 Old 04-18-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

if you could get DSD into the unit, and it understood DSD, it would still be converted to PCM (same as in a BD player) before you hear it.

Didn't think about it... You're right.
post #367 of 403 Old 04-23-2014, 01:48 PM
tdx

Liked: 10
Any owner of these (the 9.1 or the 7.1 version) using them with an HDMI soundbar? I'm trying to figure out if it's better to connect the Sony box before or after the soundbar in the path to my TV. Main thing is to make sure all my audio passes through untouched (for example I want to avoid having a DTS-HD signal be downconverted to Core-DTS, etc)

Thanks!
post #368 of 403 Old 05-09-2014, 02:38 AM

Hi Guys

Does anyone know how I can add additional MDRHW700 headphones to the HDMI unit?

Many Thanks
Jamie
post #369 of 403 Old 05-09-2014, 10:46 AM

After investigating I have found out the EU version doesn't have the option for ID SET therefore no option to add additional headphones - What a PAIN!!!
post #370 of 403 Old 05-15-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I use my DS7500s every day. Unfortunately I'm going to have to upgrade them (and my whole stereo setup), once I go 4k.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #371 of 403 Old 05-15-2014, 09:38 AM
tdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I use my DS7500s every day. Unfortunately I'm going to have to upgrade them (and my whole stereo setup), once I go 4k.

Why is that? The headphones have 4k passthrough, it's clearly stated on the box and manual. So why would you have to change them?
post #372 of 403 Old 05-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post

Why is that? The headphones have 4k passthrough, it's clearly stated on the box and manual. So why would you have to change them?

Sony MDR-HW700DS (the newer set released) has 4K passthrough. But this thread is about the MDR-DS7500, which are several years old, and do not do 4K passthrough.

post #373 of 403 Old 05-15-2014, 12:17 PM
tdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

Sony MDR-HW700DS (the newer set released) has 4K passthrough. But this thread is about the MDR-DS7500, which are several years old, and do not do 4K passthrough.

You are correct my bad. The thread lately has been talking about the newer model hence my confusion. BTW that is the model I have and it's totally worth the upgrade from the previous model: better fit, better sound, longer battery etc.
post #374 of 403 Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post

You are correct my bad. The thread lately has been talking about the newer model hence my confusion. BTW that is the model I have and it's totally worth the upgrade from the previous model: better fit, better sound, longer battery etc.

Good to know re: upgrade. I currently have the MDR-DS7500s and actually invested in a second headset for my wife, so I'm about $700 in for our current setup. smile.gifeek.gif At some point, I'll upgrade (perhaps when the internal batteries die).

post #375 of 403 Old 05-15-2014, 12:20 PM
tdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

Good to know re: upgrade. I currently have the MDR-DS7500s and actually invested in a second headset for my wife, so I'm about $700 in for our current setup. smile.gifeek.gif At some point, I'll upgrade (perhaps when the internal batteries die).

I hear you I was in the same dilemma. But by going the ebay route I managed to sell the old headset and get two new ones without losing (too much) money.
post #376 of 403 Old 05-17-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
It doesn't really matter. I highly doubt the newer model supports HDMI 2.0 passthrough, which is what I'll be wanting anyways. I need to upgrade all my equipment to support this (including two HDMI 4x2 Matrix switches) when the day comes I get a 4k tv.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #377 of 403 Old 05-17-2014, 05:34 PM

Hey,

can anybody tell me how much the new 700DS differ from Sony MDRDS6500, Dolby Headphone or Silent Cinema in terms of surround sound?

post #378 of 403 Old 05-30-2014, 05:58 AM

Can anyone with a MDR-HW700DS European headset and base unit confirm that they can pair additional headsets. The English manual and the base unit does not have the "ID Set" option and want to confirm this option still exists before I purchase additional headset.

Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, figured it out.

post #379 of 403 Old 06-12-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I'm really intrigued by this, especially the new HW700DS

Couple questions:

1.) Can I control the output of the channels? What I mean is, on my home theater AVR (Denon, but most of them) I can turn the center all the way down and jack up the surrounds. Really fun to do with sports. Can I do that with these? (These means either DS7500 or the new ones, HW700DS).

2.) Has anyone here tried the new HS700DS? How is it? I'm a HT junkie and an audiophile and I was thinking instead of getting another pair of 2 channel headphones, I would get this and use it for movies and sports when the misses is sleeping. I often use Sennheiser HD595 or Denon AH-D600 for headphones for movies/sports but I have to wonder how much I'm losing compared to my speaker set ups (that are, of course, not 2 channel) and decode all the big audio formats.

Thanks!

Last edited by pappy97; 06-12-2014 at 10:01 PM.
post #380 of 403 Old 06-28-2014, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Pappy - I have the 700DS. 1 - Yes you can control the output of the center channel 2 - The surround is spooky good. Get these, you won't regret it. Buy from a source like Amazon which has no a questions returns policy just in case you Dont like them, but I don't imagine you won't. Why Sony isn't putting a big advertising blitz behind these cans boggles my mind.

As an alternative try Fong's Out Of Your Head program. At $150 it is much cheaper than new cans.
post #381 of 403 Old 07-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HW700DS just dropped off by UPS, according to the internet. Looking forward to setting it up tonight after work.
post #382 of 403 Old 07-10-2014, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Chris View Post
HW700DS just dropped off by UPS, according to the internet. Looking forward to setting it up tonight after work.
And do you like them still?
How is the sound?

Best regards
post #383 of 403 Old 07-10-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post
And do you like them still?
How is the sound?

Best regards
Good for the price, not great. It solved my fundamental problem that I had to keep things turned way down to not disturb the rest of the household, as I have no way to soundproof the current residence. (Mother in law sleeping the next room over.) I had to keep things so low I literally had to strain to hear voices.

Bass is above average, but not the best I've heard.

Setup was easy. I have mine taking input from the receiver and passing through to the TV. It was important for me to have the receiver (at low volume) and the headphones both active at the same time so that the subwoofer output was active to support my Buttkicker transducer on my recliner.

It does what is says it will; puts up an impressive surround sound field. Of course that is completely dependent on your source content. For example, I haven't noticed the height channel yet, like when the Batplane rises up in that last movie. (don't have that Blu Ray). I watched Cloverfield first, thinking that might come into effect in a few places, but never really noticed it, even when I was specifically listening for it. (FYI, the bridge scene and the helicopter crash really stood out.) But that was a weird movie because the "narrator" voice is the cameraman which is "behind" the camera, so the voice kind of floats in your head throughout the movie. Other voice sources were all naturally positioned.

A couple WOW moments this week while reviewing them were: The Hobbit during the Dragon attack. Avengers, the New York attack. Prometheus, that tunnels scene. Hellboy II, that final battle.

The price is really the hold up for me. I paid $450. Most will pay $500. Seeing as how a really great set of headphones can be had for $250-$300, the question is if it worth the price premium over what you'll get from just plugging a great set of headphones into your receiver. I've tried that with My $125 JVC stereo headphones that are good, but not spectacular. There is definitely a difference in sound stage. But was it worth the extra $450?

It was to me. Wasn't to my wife. YMMV.

Last edited by Oregon Chris; 07-10-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling
post #384 of 403 Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Good for the price, not great. It solved my fundamental problem that I had to keep things turned way down to not disturb the rest of the household, as I have no way to soundproof the current residence. (Mother in law sleeping the next room over.) I had to keep things so low I literally had to strain to hear voices.

Bass is above average, but not the best I've heard.

Setup was easy. I have mine taking input from the receiver and passing through to the TV. It was important for me to have the receiver (at low volume) and the headphones both active at the same time so that the subwoofer output was active to support my Buttkicker transducer on my recliner.

It does what is says it will; puts up an impressive surround sound field. Of course that is completely dependent on your source content. For example, I haven't noticed the height channel yet, like when the Batplane rises up in that last movie. (don't have that Blu Ray). I watched Cloverfield first, thinking that might come into effect in a few places, but never really noticed it, even when I was specifically listening for it. (FYI, the bridge scene and the helicopter crash really stood out.) But that was a weird movie because the "narrator" voice is the cameraman which is "behind" the camera, so the voice kind of floats in your head throughout the movie. Other voice sources were all naturally positioned.

A couple WOW moments this week while reviewing them were: The Hobbit during the Dragon attack. Avengers, the New York attack. Prometheus, that tunnels scene. Hellboy II, that final battle.

The price is really the hold up for me. I paid $450. Most will pay $500. Seeing as how a really great set of headphones can be had for $250-$300, the question is if it worth the price premium over what you'll get from just plugging a great set of headphones into your receiver. I've tried that with My $125 JVC stereo headphones that are good, but not spectacular. There is definitely a difference in sound stage. But was it worth the extra $450?

It was too me. Wasn't too my wife. YMMV.

Thx for your great reply,

I ordered one too now(with two headsets),
I hope it will be an improvement over what i got now,

I use now the philips fidelio x1 with an mixamp pro to watch movies..
It sounds realy good,i hope the sony is even better..

If not i gonne sell it again...
Best regards..
post #385 of 403 Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Sony MDR-HW700DS 9.1 ch wireless headphones

Since it seems that this thread has morphed into a discussion of the newer MDR-HW700DS headphones, I have a few questions for which I have not been able to find answers, yet...

1) If you hook the headphone processor up between your source devices and your AVR as indicated in the connection diagrams, how do you switch which source you want to pass thru the processor, to you AVR and display, when you are not using the headphones? Is there a way to program my Sony AVR remote (or a Harmony remote/iPad/etc.) to operate the processor, so that I don't have to either turn the headphones on to use the buttons on them or walk over to the processor to use the buttons on it? As I understand it, the processor can be controlled using the TV's remote via. CEC Audio System Control, but this only works when the processor's Control for HDMI switch is set to Mode 1 and the instructions say that this switch should be set to Mode 2 when using an AVR. What happens if you set it to Mode 1 when using an AVR that also has CEC turned on?

2) When the processor is set to Mode 1, can the AV receiver pull the audio from the signal being passed to the display, assuming you have the TV+HP Audio Out set to "ON"?

3) In a situation where I am using the AVR or TV speakers rather than the headphones and want to switch which of the sources that are connected to the processor I am watching, it seems obvious that the processor would need to be turned on to switch inputs. Let's assume that I have enabled HDMI Passthru, set TV+HP Audio Out to "ON", and have the Control for HDMI switch set to Mode 2. I should be able to get audio out of the speakers connected to the AVR regardless of whether or not the processor is turned on in this setup. Let's say that the processor is currently on since I just powered the system on to watch something and had to select the source I wanted, but the headphones are off because I am not wearing them. Will the processor still go into Standby Mode after a few minutes since the headphones are not being used, or does it stay on when TV+HP Audio Out is set to ON?

4) (Followup to above question) Assuming that the processor does not stay on, will the audio and video signal cut out for a few seconds when it goes from being on to being in standby or is it a smooth transition? When I turn the processor back on to change inputs, will the audio and video signal cut out for a few seconds or is it a smooth transition?

5) Do the Effect, Matrix, Center/Sub Level, Compression, and AV Sync settings selected for the processor impact the audio being passed thru the processor to the AVR or does it only affect the audio going to the headphones?

6) When the processor is on, but I am listening to the audio from my AVR (which can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA), does the processor decode the audio before passing it to the AVR (as multichannel PCM) or is the audio being passed to the AVR still encoded in its original format?

7) My AVR is able to pass audio thru its HDMI outputs if I use the TV+AMP setting, but does not have an Optical out. If I connect my source devices directly to my AVR and then run the HDMI output from my AVR into one of the inputs of the processor (with the processor set to Mode 2, Control for HDMI turned off, and TV+HP turned off), will I be able to get audio out of the headphones? If so, will I still get audio out of the headphones if I mute or turn down the volume on the AVR?

Thanks

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 07-11-2014 at 01:50 PM.
post #386 of 403 Old 07-11-2014, 11:23 AM

Can anyone tell the the setting I need to stop my blu ray player switching off when I access the on screen menu...Not running through an amp just headphones into blu ray player...
post #387 of 403 Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampot View Post
Can anyone tell the the setting I need to stop my blu ray player switching off when I access the on screen menu...Not running through an amp just headphones into blu ray player...
Doesn't happen to me, but I have mine running between Receiver and TV.
post #388 of 403 Old 07-11-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Since it seems that this thread has morphed into a discussion of the newer MDR-HW700DS headphones, I have a few questions for which I have not been able to find answers, yet...

1) If you hook the headphone processor up between your source devices and your AVR as indicated in the connection diagrams, how do you switch which source you want to pass thru the processor, to you AVR and display, when you are not using the headphones? Is there a way to program my Sony AVR remote (or a Harmony remote/iPad/etc.) to operate the processor, so that I don't have to either turn the headphones on to use the buttons on them or walk over to the processor to use the buttons on it? As I understand it, the processor can be controlled using the TV's remote via. CEC Audio System Control, but this only works when the processor's Control for HDMI switch is set to Mode 1 and the instructions say that this switch should be set to Mode 2 when using an AVR. What happens if you set it to Mode 1 when using an AVR that also has CEC turned on?

2) When the processor is set to Mode 1, can the AV receiver pull the audio from the signal being passed to the display, assuming you have the TV+HP Audio Out set to "ON"?

3) In a situation where I am using the AVR or TV speakers rather than the headphones and want to switch which of the sources that are connected to the processor I am watching, it seems obvious that the processor would need to be turned on to switch inputs. Let's assume that I have enabled HDMI Passthru, set TV+HP Audio Out to "ON", and have the Control for HDMI switch set to Mode 2. I should be able to get audio out of the speakers connected to the AVR regardless of whether or not the processor is turned on in this setup. Let's say that the processor is currently on since I just powered the system on to watch something and had to select the source I wanted, but the headphones are off because I am not wearing them. Will the processor still go into Standby Mode after a few minutes since the headphones are not being used, or does it stay on when TV+HP Audio Out is set to ON?

4) (Followup to above question) Assuming that the processor does not stay on, will the audio and video signal cut out for a few seconds when it goes from being on to being in standby or is it a smooth transition? When I turn the processor back on to change inputs, will the audio and video signal cut out for a few seconds or is it a smooth transition?

5) Do the Effect, Matrix, Center/Sub Level, Compression, and AV Sync settings selected for the processor impact the audio being passed thru the processor to the AVR or does it only affect the audio going to the headphones?

6) When the processor is on, but I am listening to the audio from my AVR (which can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA), does the processor decode the audio before passing it to the AVR (as multichannel PCM) or is the audio being passed to the AVR still encoded in its original format?

7) My AVR is able to pass audio thru its HDMI outputs if I use the TV+AMP setting, but does not have an Optical out. If I connect my source devices directly to my AVR and then run the HDMI output from my AVR into one of the inputs of the processor (with the processor set to Mode 2, Control for HDMI turned off, and TV+HP turned off), will I be able to get audio out of the headphones? If so, will I still get audio out of the headphones if I mute or turn down the volume on the AVR?

Thanks
I'll take a look this weekend and see if I can answer your questions definitively.
post #389 of 403 Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

Thanks

I start a new topic for the Sony MDR-HW700DS hope we can discuss there some more...
post #390 of 403 Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll take a look this weekend and see if I can answer your questions definitively.
Did you get a chance to check this out? I've seen a few posts where people have said that they are able to get audio out of the headphones when hooking them up between their receiver and their TV, but quite a few saying that they can't. The connection diagrams in the manual show the processor going between the source devices and the AVR, but I have two issues with this...1) I'd rather keep the current setup where all of my sources are connected directly to my AVR for easier switching and 2) My AVR actually acts as the source/bridge for some of the content that I listen to (Airplay, Bluetooth, DLNA, Pandora, AM/FM radio, etc.). It would be nice if I can pass the audio for everything from the AVR to the headphone processor. Since I am the only one likely to use the headphones, but my wife will continue to use the rest of the equipment, my goal would be to have everything work exactly as it does now when not using the headphones.

Sources --(HDMI)--> AVR --(HDMI)--> Headphone Processor --(HDMI)--> TV

If needed, I can put the AVR into Standby Mode after selecting my source so that I get audio from the headphones without anything coming out of the speakers attached to the AVR. Obviously only HDMI sources would be passed this way, so I would need to use the regular headphones jack on the AVR with a minijack to stereo RCA analog adaptor to pass all non-HDMI sources from the AVR to the headphones' processor. Then I should be able to pass TV audio (for built-in apps) back to the processor using an optical cable.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Wireless Digital Sorround Headphones System Mdr Ds7500 , Sony Wireless Stereo Surround Headphone System Mdr Ds7100 Japan Import
Gear in this thread - Ds7500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page