Sony MDR-DS7500 - World's first HDMI lossless 7.1 surround decoder/headphones - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 393 Old 04-13-2012, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

These newer decoding options do not add anything vital based on what I heard from the 7500 in terms of fidelity or spatiality compared to Sony VPT from their earlier generations (Model 5000). The real question is how the phones themselves sound. I'd expect them to be comparable, and for the price, the 6500 is a real bargain.

Thank you Roger. I really like to get the next year model of Sony Personal 3D Viewer, HMZT1, when they finally add gyroscope and accelerations, and that should solve all late night TV and gaming problems. Meanwhile, I guess 6500 is the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 393 Old 04-14-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
I haven't owned the previous editions of these (ie: 6500s) although if you already owned a 5.1DD headphone it's the 7500s for me were a logical step. If you notice, a big problem with owning SPDIF sourced headphone amps is that many components don't offer that option anymore, just HDMI audio.

Anyways I'm jazzing on them, especially on lossless 7.1 sources. I watched Jurassic Park tonight with the 7500s and it was a lot of fun.

Well worth it for me simply because I can't have a good surround setup in my apartment environment.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #63 of 393 Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

Thank you Roger. I really like to get the next year model of Sony Personal 3D Viewer, HMZT1, when they finally add gyroscope and accelerations, and that should solve all late night TV and gaming problems. Meanwhile, I guess 6500 is the way to go.

Pretty cool concept. Looks like they start shipping about now.

Why would you need gyroscopes? The thing is mounted to your head, so the frame of reference is always the same no matter what you do.
post #64 of 393 Old 04-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I haven't owned the previous editions of these (ie: 6500s) although if you already owned a 5.1DD headphone it's the 7500s for me were a logical step. If you notice, a big problem with owning SPDIF sourced headphone amps is that many components don't offer that option anymore, just HDMI audio.

Anyways I'm jazzing on them, especially on lossless 7.1 sources. I watched Jurassic Park tonight with the 7500s and it was a lot of fun.

Well worth it for me simply because I can't have a good surround setup in my apartment environment.

Thanks for the comment on TOSLINK. I have to think about it. For now, all my devices have optical out jack.
post #65 of 393 Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Pretty cool concept. Looks like they start shipping about now.

Why would you need gyroscopes? The thing is mounted to your head, so the frame of reference is always the same no matter what you do.

I am being futuristic. If you move your head you supposedly should be able to change the game view angle with a gyroscope. Of course that requires new interface for Play Station or XBox. But think about it, if sony incorporates this into future HMZs, it will be an XBox killer.
post #66 of 393 Old 04-16-2012, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am being futuristic. If you move your head you supposedly should be able to change the game view angle with a gyroscope.

Ahh, of course! This is what happens when a movie-centric person comes around. Maybe I need to play some games! How does Breakout look in 3D?
post #67 of 393 Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Ahh, of course! This is what happens when a movie-centric person comes around. Maybe I need to play some games! How does Breakout look in 3D?

Lol Roger. I am kind of a ZX Spectrum guy myself. I never owned an Atari, but played River Ride a lot!
post #68 of 393 Old 04-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Liked: 10
Has anyone translated the manual yet? I can't seem to get anywhere with the pdf. I am having a problem getting the ARC to work.
post #69 of 393 Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlando View Post

Has anyone translated the manual yet? I can't seem to get anywhere with the pdf. I am having a problem getting the ARC to work.

I used Google Translate. Cut and paste the desired phrases. It worked well.
post #70 of 393 Old 04-29-2012, 03:31 PM

The Adobe reader 7.0 I have will not allow me to copy and paste the manual that I downloaded from the link posted earlier. I've been messing with it on and off for the last 2 days. So...that is why I asked if anyone has it translated.
I'm hooked up and the only problem is getting the ARC to work so I can get sound straight from the TV when necessary. I have a Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver and a Panasonic TC-P65GT30. I have it HDMI wired: ONK out (ARC) - MDR HDMI 3in - MDR HDMI out (ARC) - TV HDMI 1(ARC). I think there is an identification procedure that might have to be done on the MDR because the video travels both ways through the MDR unit, but the audio only works from the receiver.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
post #71 of 393 Old 04-29-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

>>I have it HDMI wired: ONK out (ARC) - MDR HDMI 3in - MDR HDMI out (ARC) - TV HDMI 1(ARC).<<

I think you are correctly set up like option 3, p.17. At the bottom it says if TV does not support ARC, use the optical audio connection. So that implies ARC should work. The MDR's HDMI control switch has to be in Mode2. But do not switch it with the power connected to the MDR. The note next to the switch says:
Quote:

The AC power adapter
Switch before you connect
Equipment to work : MODE2
Equipment not linked : OFF

If all else fails, you can get the audio from the TV into MDR via an optical connection.
post #72 of 393 Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 AM

Great, I wiil give that a shot.
Thank you, Roger
post #73 of 393 Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was looking for a pair of wireless surround sound headphones and stumbled upon these, I couldn't find any other headphones which offered real surround sound and also had HDMI switching so I ordered them on Thursday off of Amazon (I paid $580) and that they would ship from Japan I was shocked when I got hom yesterday and had a delivery notice from the post office!

Went to the post office and piced them up and still cant believe that they got here from Japan in a few days. Ordered on Thursday and got here on Monday that is QUICK!

Anyways got them here in my office charging and then I will take them home and hook them up to my "project" tv in my bedroom. (We have a big 55 inch Panasonic 3DTV for our main TV in our bedroom, but I also have a small TV (Sony 3D Playstation TV) next to the bed where I test all my satellite equipment.

I will be hooking up these ear phones to my project TV and to start will be hooking up a DISH Network Hopper, a DIRECTV HR34 and an AZbox Elite FTA DVBS2 Satellite Receiver. Now I will be able to test my stuff and watch TV on my project TV without bugging my wife.

Everything will be coming from the receivers and plugged directy into the HDMI switcher / transmitter, then HDMI out to the Sony 3DTV.

I can't wait to get home and hook it all up.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #74 of 393 Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Wel I forgot that I have an Apple TV here at my office so I was able to able to hook up and test out these new headphones.

All's that I can say is WOW!

Watched a few minutes of the Star Trek Movie from a few years ago as well as a few minutes from the new Muppet Movie. I can't believe how good the sound quality is!

There is no hiss or static just pure sound. I turned the effect off which I am guessing gives me the pure Dolby Digital sound from the Apple TV box. When I start a movie the light appears above the Dolby D making on the front of the switch box.

I was even able to walk around in my office with no loss of sound.

About the only thing that is disapointing to me is that up at full volume is not loud enough for me. But the level is acceptable, and I am sure it will be louder when I am not in this loud office.

So far so good!

Scott
post #75 of 393 Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM

I received mine last week from Amazon.co.jp shipped through Tenso.com and the total came to about $420. It is a little more work registering at both sites, but the savings are substantial. Contact me if anyone wants more details.

I still can't get the ARC to work and I think I really need to get the manual properly translated. There is a lot mentioned about ARC and I wonder what the ID button is for. As for the sound...Thumbs up. It is all of what the other posts described. Like being in a theather with a good sound system.
post #76 of 393 Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still can't get the ARC to work and I think I really need to get the manual properly translated. There is a lot mentioned about ARC and I wonder what the ID button is for. As for the sound...Thumbs up. It is all of what the other posts described. Like being in a theather with a good sound system.

ID button from page 38:
Quote:
When you install additional headphones
The processor is a unique ID has been set. Wireless-only head (sold separately)
If you are adding an additional headphones (MDR-RF7500), the head of the processor ID to install additional
You must be registered with the headphones.
The registration can use the ID SET button for each processor / headphone.
For more information, see the instruction manual that comes with the (MDR-RF7500) dedicated wireless headphones (sold separately)
Please see the certificate.

post #77 of 393 Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 AM

Thank you, Roger
post #78 of 393 Old 05-03-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

I love these headphones, but can't figure out how to turn on Dolby Pro Logic IIz on the SiriusXM channels that DISH Network offers.

Anyone found a way how to turn it on?

Scott
post #79 of 393 Old 05-04-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski View Post

I love these headphones, but can't figure out how to turn on Dolby Pro Logic IIz on the SiriusXM channels that DISH Network offers.

Anyone found a way how to turn it on?

Have you tried pressing the Matrix button on the sending unit?
post #80 of 393 Old 05-06-2012, 04:16 PM

I am currently in the market looking for a real Dolby surround headphones. I want a pair of headphones for my theater setup (Benq W5500 and Polk audio speakers powered by a Dennon 790 amp). This is so I can watch movies / play games in peace at night. I watch a lot movies including high quality H264 with DTS audio and Bluray discs. I would also like to use wireless headphones with my PS3 for gaming.
I was initially looking at the Pioneer SE-DIR800CII or the Sennheiser RS-170. Between these two I was more inclined towards the Pioneer as they had Dolby processing unit onboard supporting DTS, prologic II & Dolby Digital. Sennheiser on the other hand emulates the 5.1 effects. Anyway, I wanted to know how these Sony fare against pioneer and sennheiser. I know Dave has posted his experience with pioneer but i think they were about the DIR800C. I would like to know if DIR800C and CII are the same model or if one has any improvements over the other.
I would also like to know if I should consider Turtlebeach PX5 or Astrogaming AS40 as I'd also use them for PS3 games. Not sure how they fare in the home theater department but they do have Dobly certification.
your help is really appreciated.
post #81 of 393 Old 05-06-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:

I received mine last week from Amazon.co.jp shipped through Tenso.com and the total came to about $420. It is a little more work registering at both sites, but the savings are substantial. Contact me if anyone wants more details.

PM'ed you regarding tenso. I'd appreciate if you could provide requested details.
post #82 of 393 Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 PM

anybody??
post #83 of 393 Old 05-10-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:

Nice! Did you use tenso's EMS service? If so, how much was the final weight?

Also, did you use tenso as the billing address in Amazon.co.jp, or yo used your US address?

Finally, how long did the whole procedure take? Days, weeks...

Thanks...
post #84 of 393 Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Nice! Did you use tenso's EMS service? If so, how much was the final weight?

Also, did you use tenso as the billing address in Amazon.co.jp, or yo used your US address?

Finally, how long did the whole procedure take? Days, weeks...

Thanks...

Have the same question.
post #85 of 393 Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 PM

I have currently the headset at Tenso.com that I ordered from Amazon.co.jp

The problem I have now is the following (find below the mail from Tenso on the subject):

(Start - Extract from E-mail)
-----------------------------------------
EMS does not allow us to send lithium ion batteries because of flammability risk.
However, packages containing lithium ion batteries can be sent via UPS.

Please choose from among the following options:
1) Send your package to a domestic Japanese address, (for example, to a friend or back to the seller).
The cost for domestic shipping will be the domestic shipping fee + 500 yen handling fee.

If you are shipping your item within Japan, please tell us:
A. Address in Japan
B. Name of receiving party
C. Telephone number of receiving party
D. (optional) Time at which you would like to the package to be delivered
2) Ship your package via UPS
If you wish to choose option 2, please provide us with the following information:

1. Whether you wish to purchase insurance or not, Yes/No (insurance costs 50 JPY per 11000 JPY of the package's value)
2. Total value of the package's contents
3. Name of the products in the package (general descriptions such as 'camera' or 'toy' are not enough, please more specific information such as brand, model type, model number etc.)
4. Whether the product is new or used

The cost for shipping via UPS will be as follows:
980 JPY - Tenso.com Handling Fee
21694 JPY - UPS Shipping Fee (not including insurance)

Total: 22674 JPY
*Please note that Tenso.com is not responsible for any customs duties you may be charged.
Packages delivered via UPS will typically arrive within 4 business days of shipment from our warehouse (not including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays).

You can make payments for your UPS shipments in the Optional Services section of your My Page.
(End - Extract from E-mail)

So know, I obliged to use UPS but I would like to know if tomlando did have the same issue.
Just to let you know the cost of UPS are twice those from EMS :'(
This is so much expensive 22,000 Yen just for shipping instead of 11,000 Yen. The economy I thought I would be making by ordering directly from amazon.co.jp instead of Ebay.com is totally absorbed (even more) by UPS.

tomlando, please help us :-)

Cheers guys

Jontox
post #86 of 393 Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 AM

Weird. They both ship stuff overseas, but why EMS refuses while UPS can do it?
post #87 of 393 Old 05-11-2012, 10:23 AM

EMS shipping policies are really restrictive when goods including lithium ion batteries should be shipped overseas.
As per their statement, lithium ion batteries have a risk of self explosion.
This is really a nonsense and too restrictive.

We will know if tomlando had the case as well as soon as he replies.

As for now, my package remains at tenso.com.

Anyone interested to have this one shipped to US?
I would be please to help an US forum member to obtain the MDR-DS7500 as here in Europe I have a possibility to grab those from ebay.fr at a lower shipping cost.
If only I knew it before ordering from amazon.co.jp (with Tenso.com)

Jontox
post #88 of 393 Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontox View Post

EMS shipping policies are really restrictive when goods including lithium ion batteries should be shipped overseas.
As per their statement, lithium ion batteries have a risk of self explosion.
This is really a nonsense and too restrictive.

We will know if tomlando had the case as well as soon as he replies.

As for now, my package remains at tenso.com.

Anyone interested to have this one shipped to US?
I would be please to help an US forum member to obtain the MDR-DS7500 as here in Europe I have a possibility to grab those from ebay.fr at a lower shipping cost.
If only I knew it before ordering from amazon.co.jp (with Tenso.com)

Jontox

I am sorry to hear about your experience with EMS. All this made me thinking, and what if enough people here come together and get a freight shipping from Japan? I have seen this in car forums all the time, so why not doing it here? If 10 or more people are interested, I think we can reduce the shipping and ordering cost a lot.
post #89 of 393 Old 05-12-2012, 04:40 AM

I'm interested, Lost! Anybody else?
Don't care if buying a single pair of this wireless headphones, but with 10 or more, we should check with US's customs office for import duties, taxes and/or any other charges, right?
At eBay lowest price I found is $484. (Only check at 'Top-rated sellers' and prices included shipping).
ShoppinginJapan.net has this one @ eBay $494, but on its own website, the price is at $474. That makes sense because of eBay fee. On the fence now.
Any other ideas?
post #90 of 393 Old 05-12-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

I'm interested, Lost! Anybody else?
Don't care if buying a single pair of this wireless headphones, but with 10 or more, we should check with US's customs office for import duties, taxes and/or any other charges, right?
At eBay lowest price I found is $484. (Only check at 'Top-rated sellers' and prices included shipping).
ShoppinginJapan.net has this one @ eBay $494, but on its own website, the price is at $474. That makes sense because of eBay fee. On the fence now.
Any other ideas?

I have negotiated with a seller on Amazon, and he went down to $450 for ds7500 and $648 for ds7500+rf7500 extra headphone. I am sure he will be more than happy to know there are others who are interested.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Wireless Digital Sorround Headphones System Mdr Ds7500 , Sony Wireless Stereo Surround Headphone System Mdr Ds7100 Japan Import
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page