Sony MDR-DS7500 - World's first HDMI lossless 7.1 surround decoder/headphones - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 393 Old 05-13-2012, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That's a good deal Lost! It prevents us headache when dealing with overseas sellers. So, you mean we can buy and pay thru Amazon.com, right?
Did you buy it yet?
PM me more info about this seller please, if you don't mind, so that I can place an order with him. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 393 Old 05-13-2012, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

That's a good deal Lost! It prevents us headache when dealing with overseas sellers. So, you mean we can buy and pay thru Amazon.com, right?
Did you buy it yet?
PM me more info about this seller please, if you don't mind, so that I can place an order with him. Thanks.

He is MIA since yesterday. Maybe it is weekend in Japan, and he will be back on Monday. I will let you know tomorrow, and I try to persuade him into creating a product page for his offer. Then, we can just order from Amazon.

BTW, I was interested in buying DS6500, until I found out that lossless uncompressed audio is not transferred over TosLink, only HDMI.
post #93 of 393 Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 AM

Shoppinginjapan.net just dropped the price to $456.00 at its website. Just ordered one a few minutes ago. Hope everything will go thru smoothly. I'll post my own comments when I get it in hands.
post #94 of 393 Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Shoppinginjapan.net just dropped the price to $456.00 at its website. Just ordered one a few minutes ago. Hope everything will go thru smoothly. I'll post my own comments when I get it in hands.

That is a great price. Let us know how the transaction goes. Btw, do we have to pay foreign transaction fees on our CC?

The seller I spoke with in Amazon is Realizer IT. He is still MIA, but he has no rank in Amazon. Probably he is a high risk seller anyway.
post #95 of 393 Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

That is a great price. Let us know how the transaction goes. Btw, do we have to pay foreign transaction fees on our CC?

My order was shipped with tracking #.
I paid thru paypal and my pp account showed the exact amount charged (not any other fee).
Back to the main topic. Do I need an AVR to watch blu-ray movies with these headphones? I mean just from source (blu-ray player) to Processor unit and then to TV, is that possible?
post #96 of 393 Old 05-17-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 178
^^ No AVR is needed.
post #97 of 393 Old 05-18-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontox View Post

EMS shipping policies are really restrictive when goods including lithium ion batteries should be shipped overseas.
As per their statement, lithium ion batteries have a risk of self explosion.
This is really a nonsense and too restrictive.

We will know if tomlando had the case as well as soon as he replies.

As for now, my package remains at tenso.com.

Anyone interested to have this one shipped to US?
I would be please to help an US forum member to obtain the MDR-DS7500 as here in Europe I have a possibility to grab those from ebay.fr at a lower shipping cost.
If only I knew it before ordering from amazon.co.jp (with Tenso.com)

Jontox

I thought I'll post my experience here anyway. After getting no reply from tomland (might be away) I decided to bite the bullet and order it through Tenso. Luckily to my surprise amazon started offering this headphone for 25500 Yen which is around $320. So I registered myself with both tenso and amazon and used tenso's guide to have amazon ship it to their warehouse. I emailed them about my package and was told that it takes one day to process deliveries and then I'll receive the invoice for payment. I got the notice for pament which came around 5700 Yen or $70 whic I paid immidiately using paypal. They took a day to process EMS and my package was sent. Again, fortunately I didn't have any problems with EMS either. I think these rules might be country specific as I'm not in Europe. Further, the lithium-ion battery is built-in so maybe that is treated differently.
Anyway, I got myself these awesome headphones for under $400 which is quite a bargain. I did a short test yesterday with Tintin bluray and I was complete blown away with the sound quality these headphone produces. They are a little bulky but are comfertable to wear. Will do more testing tonight.
post #98 of 393 Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 AM

Liked: 11
I have currently Onkyo 609 and sennheiser 555@595. I want surround sound for my headphones and these seems interesting. Should i just get ac-receiver with dh, external dh decoder or headphones like these?

I have Xbox 360, PS3 and A.C Ryan Playon HD2 conneceted to my Onkyo.

How should i connect these to this Sony so that i can easily just switch between speakers and headphones?
post #99 of 393 Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 AM

I'm back!
Ordered on Tuesday (Wednesday in Japan) last week, my daughter got it on Friday but I didn't know that until yesterday. Shipping damn quick.
Amazing! Amazing! That's all I can say.
Before I have experienced these, I thought all headphones only could produce simulated surround sound. But I was completely wrong. The actual surround sound that I feel trully comes from a separate set of speakers with clear sound and heavy bass when I tested some blu-ray movies like 2012, The Adventures of Tintin, ...
Of course, it has no way to compare to my current Klipsch home theater system that cost a lot of times more then these in price, but trust me it's worth buying.
I'm not a game addict, so I have no idea. Music? Yes, played some Taylor Swift flac songs. In the kitchen, when I closed my eyes, I could feel she's singing in front of me, the player is located in living room tho.
Con? I really don't recognize the difference between DTS-MA 5.1 and DTS-MA 7.1 movies with these headphones. Also, like one guy said previously, the volume level is not strong enough for me. But I don't care, as long as I can watch my HD movies in the bed while my wife sleeps well next to me. Lastly, I wish I could get user manual in English version. I know there are many things else that need to be discovered like what does '3D' (in sound not image) mean here?
post #100 of 393 Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know there are many things else that need to be discovered like what does '3D' (in sound not image) mean here?

It means that they support rendering of the elevated height channels derived by PLIIz. But similar to 5.1/7.1, I could not detect any difference there, but no matter!
post #101 of 393 Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Hmm. I have no problem with the volume level and I'm a musician and am used to loud (and I mean LOUD) music. I actually have to turn them down a bit because they are a bit too loud for me.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #102 of 393 Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Hey everyone!...I am sold on getting these n the near future but one thing is a dealbreaker for me! I need to have at least an effective transmission range of 40m (125 ft )...can any of you test this and reply?...ive had sennheiser rs180s (returned) and currently possess the rs160s...both have severly failed their stated ranges of 100m (328 ft)
post #103 of 393 Old 05-26-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
My apartment probably isn't big enough to test them within 40ft, but I will say they work just fine into the next room.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #104 of 393 Old 05-26-2012, 06:32 PM

I have some questions that cost me a lot of time to fix (if I can say it's an issue). All is because I cannot read Japanese user manual.
First, every time I wear the headphones, after a few seconds, it's automatically turned on. That's great, but the default input is always 'TV' not 'HDMI' as I want. I have to press input button to choose input port. How can I set 'HDMI' as my default input?
Second, I cannot use input button on the headphones to select input port. In fact, input function on the headphones does work at all from beginning when I opened the box. I have to come over processor unit and press my finger on input button. That's really inconvenience, right? So, how?
Thank you for your prompt replies.
post #105 of 393 Old 05-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Quick question: can you hook these to the PC? if so how?
post #106 of 393 Old 05-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_88 View Post

Quick question: can you hook these to the PC? if so how?

depends on what connectivity your motherboard offers. if your MB is new and supports intel's integrated GPU then you most likely to have an HDMI connection on board. In this case simply use a HDMI to wire your PC into one of the HDMI inputs to the MDR. Then from MDR output to your TV and you are all set.
if you don't have HDMI on board. you can either you the optical out port from your MB or use an HDMI enabled GPU.
I'd prefer HDMI connection as you won't be able to enjoy loss-less audio (TRUE-HD, HD-MA) of any bluray if you are using optical out.
post #107 of 393 Old 05-27-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:

I have some questions that cost me a lot of time to fix (if I can say it's an issue). All is because I cannot read Japanese user manual.
First, every time I wear the headphones, after a few seconds, it's automatically turned on. That's great, but the default input is always 'TV' not 'HDMI' as I want. I have to press input button to choose input port. How can I set 'HDMI' as my default input?
Second, I cannot use input button on the headphones to select input port. In fact, input function on the headphones does work at all from beginning when I opened the box. I have to come over processor unit and press my finger on input button. That's really inconvenience, right? So, how?
Thank you for your prompt replies.

that should work out of the box. have you paired them properly? may reset and re-pair the device. I guess you need to use the 'ID' button for pairing.
post #108 of 393 Old 05-27-2012, 04:24 PM

now i have a could of questions as well. maybe dave-fi or roger are able to answer.

Q1 - how to cycle between the matrix options from the headphones? i don't want to walk up to the receiver every time i want to switch between NEO6/PL-IIz/PL-IIx.
Q2 - when you are not in any of the modes (Cinema, Game) are you still getting emulated 5.1/7.1 lossless audio? or you have to switch to either cinema or game mode to be able to enjoy true loss-less 5.1/7.1 audio?
post #109 of 393 Old 05-28-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyleo View Post

depends on what connectivity your motherboard offers. if your MB is new and supports intel's integrated GPU then you most likely to have an HDMI connection on board. In this case simply use a HDMI to wire your PC into one of the HDMI inputs to the MDR. Then from MDR output to your TV and you are all set.
if you don't have HDMI on board. you can either you the optical out port from your MB or use an HDMI enabled GPU.
I'd prefer HDMI connection as you won't be able to enjoy loss-less audio (TRUE-HD, HD-MA) of any bluray if you are using optical out.

I have a Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mobo and a nvidia GTX 560ti GPU (HDMI port included)...will that do?

Do they come with software or would you just do all the settings (or most of them) from the MDR?

thanks
post #110 of 393 Old 05-28-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyleo View Post

Q1 - how to cycle between the matrix options from the headphones? i don't want to walk up to the receiver every time i want to switch between NEO6/PL-IIz/PL-IIx.

You cannot do it from the headphones. Other than to confirm they don't sound very different, not much need to make changes. Or are you finding they sound very different?

Quote:

Q2 - when you are not in any of the modes (Cinema, Game) are you still getting emulated 5.1/7.1 lossless audio? or you have to switch to either cinema or game mode to be able to enjoy true loss-less 5.1/7.1 audio?

There are 3 processing modes (cinema, game, voice), and one straight stereo mode. The latter is a lossless stereo downmix.
post #111 of 393 Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Can anyone verify if these 7500s get at least a range of 40m (125ft) ..irregardless of what the specs report?....Thanks!
post #112 of 393 Old 05-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_88 View Post

I have a Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mobo and a nvidia GTX 560ti GPU (HDMI port included)...will that do?

Do they come with software or would you just do all the settings (or most of them) from the MDR?

thanks

Yes, it will do.
As long as your computer can play movies, music, .. and video and/or sound comes out through HDMI port to MDR, you're fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post

Can anyone verify if these 7500s get at least a range of 40m (125ft) ..irregardless of what the specs report?....Thanks!

I can test for you. Any obstacles that block such as walls, floors, tree,...?
post #113 of 393 Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 PM

hey Elpee, the main room(bedroom) I will be using the headphones in, is from the PC or TV which is 5 to 7ft from a plastered wall (NOT drywall) with brick veneer and a window nearby! The 2nd location (kitchen) is 5 to 8ft from a plastered walland brick veener with a door and window nearby!...Thanks for your efforts! I appreciate it ! PS. there are no other obstacles!
post #114 of 393 Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 PM

hey Elpee?...I failed to mention also that I want a long range so I can use these while out in my yard. I am looking forward to your test !...later!
post #115 of 393 Old 05-31-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Did you buy it yet?

I received mine last week from the Realizer IT Trading Co. on Amazon. He was really professional and throw a free EMS shipping. My total came to about $460 and I received it in 4 days! He put a thank you note inside the package, and the package was double boxed!! I am really impressed.

For the headphones, I am still in evaluation period. The sound is not as nice as my Paradigm Signature S1 bookshelf, but then again you cannot listen very loud in an apartment with those. Overall, I am happy with the quality and the purchase.
post #116 of 393 Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am looking to buy a pair here in the Uk. Can I buy directky from amazon.jp? I have a few freinds who live in Japan, could they help me if not?
post #117 of 393 Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post

hey Elpee, the main room(bedroom) I will be using the headphones in, is from the PC or TV which is 5 to 7ft from a plastered wall (NOT drywall) with brick veneer and a window nearby! The 2nd location (kitchen) is 5 to 8ft from a plastered walland brick veener with a door and window nearby!...Thanks for your efforts! I appreciate it ! PS. there are no other obstacles!

Here is what I tested.
The MDR is located at my basement. Wherever I was in any rooms on the first floor, the sound was very clear. The same on second floor (top level of my house), however, when I moved to far end corner, I experienced sound lost when I moved my head quickly ( a distance of ~30 feet with 2 floors and a lot of walls (drywall)). I don't think it's a matter with most of us.
When I moved to outside the house (seperated by a brick veneer wall) at a distance of ~20 feet, the sound's completely gone.
post #118 of 393 Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 AM

well thanks Elpee for your efforts.....but its not exactly what i was hoping for! I'll keep searching for other user reviews on these cans!
post #119 of 393 Old 06-30-2012, 10:51 PM

Hello,

I am interested in buying the MDR DS-7500.

I have an amplifier with speaker setup that has an optical input. I want to use that amplifier when not listening to the headphones.
Can i use the DS-7500 as a passthrough?
post #120 of 393 Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc84 View Post

I have an amplifier with speaker setup that has an optical input. I want to use that amplifier when not listening to the headphones.
Can i use the DS-7500 as a passthrough?
The back panel labels the optical output as "through" so that means the optical input will pass through.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Wireless Digital Sorround Headphones System Mdr Ds7500 , Sony Wireless Stereo Surround Headphone System Mdr Ds7100 Japan Import
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page