Sony MDR-DS7500 - World's first HDMI lossless 7.1 surround decoder/headphones - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 393 Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you want my advice, and I have owned B&O and Audio technica earphones, and Sennheiser & Sony headphones, then I would say buy them... they are not cheap, but you won't be sorry.

They should do everything they say they do, and not many people own them, so... I don't know how far you'll get asking people to test them for you.

If I get the time, I'll try to verify that they work at 30M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 393 Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 PM

I am having trouble connecting my HT CT150 with MDR DS 750. I have all 3 HDMI's input in to HT CT and AV out from HT CT to MDR HDMI input 1..then MDR AV out to TV ..TV optical out to MDR opt in..MDR though opt out to HT CT TV opt in.. While i get Audio from HT CT i don't ge audio from headphone..when its power ed i do have the crtl HDMI swtich to mode 2..

what am i doing wrong.. please advise..
post #183 of 393 Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 PM

I am having trouble connecting my HT CT150 with MDR DS 750. I have all 3 HDMI's input in to HT CT and AV out from HT CT to MDR HDMI input 1..then MDR AV out to TV ..TV optical out to MDR opt in..MDR though opt out to HT CT TV opt in.. While i get Audio from HT CT i don't ge audio from headphone..when its power ed i do have the crtl HDMI swtich to mode 2..

what am i doing wrong.. please advise..
post #184 of 393 Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 165
^^ It looks like you have everything connected exactly as shown in Example 3, page 16 of the manual, except for one small detail. You have the HT CT150 HDMI output feeding input 1 of the MDR, while their diagram shows using input 3. Why that should matter, I have no idea. Maybe it does not matter at all. But give it a try (make sure to step the MDR input to HDMI 3).
post #185 of 393 Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM

Thanks Roger. i have tried both.. input 1 per example 3 on the japanese booklet and then I the saw partially translated manual on this form recommending input 3. Does that have something to do with the HT CT setup for a pass through?
post #186 of 393 Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I was assuming that the HDMI output of the Sony carried both audio and video. To confirm, if you connect the Sony's HDMI output direct to the TV, do the TV speakers play the selected audio sources?

Do the headphones work when you select the optical source (TV tuner)? The analog input? If not, seems there is something fundamentally wrong aside from HDMI issues.
post #187 of 393 Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM

Roger- the Sony MDR Headphone works fine when connected to the TV through HDMI with all the inputs directly connected to it..I have been using the Sony HT CT soundeck for almost a year connecting via HDMI and since I have a Sony TV, Bravia sync works perfectly to make HT CT AV source for all my 3 hdmi inputs... and I used the Pioneer wireless headphone by connecting to the tv though optical ...I am having trouble with replacing pioneer with MDR and using the HDMI connections. As there is no point of 7.1 headphone if I were to use optical connections.. its seems something is a mis between MDR and HT CT (being connected as an AV) which I connected per option 3 on page 16 of booklet..any advise other than using a splitter..it seemed from your posts that you also own an HTCT.. correct?
post #188 of 393 Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Singh View Post

I used the Pioneer wireless headphone by connecting to the tv though optical
So, if you connected the MDR like the Pioneer, with the HTCT doing all the source switching and feeding the TV and the MDR connect to TV's optical out, do all the sources provide audio? If so, that at least proves the HTCT is outputting not only video but audio too on its HDMI.
Quote:
it seemed from your posts that you also own an HTCT.. correct?
No, I do not own either product. I did have the MDR kit for a week or so to do some testing, but not any longer. So I'm afraid I cannot really help because I have no way to verify its operation. When I had it I just sent the source directly to it.

I hope you can figure it out.
post #189 of 393 Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM

Just bought these headphones and just trying to figure out how to hook them up with a pass through. Currently, this is how I have them hooked up:

- Boxee Box into input HDMI 1 on MDR-DS7500
- MDR-DS7500 HDMI out to Denon AVR-3311CI input BD
- Denon AVR-3311CI HDMI out to my TV

The headphones work great but when I just use my Denon, I get picture but no sound. Do I have to set something on the MDR-DS7500 to have it transmit sound out?

Can someone help?

Thanks!
post #190 of 393 Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 PM

Mine pass the audio through alright as long as the base unit it switched off.
post #191 of 393 Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwilliamsburg View Post

If you want my advice, and I have owned B&O and Audio technica earphones, and Sennheiser & Sony headphones, then I would say buy them... they are not cheap, but you won't be sorry.

They should do everything they say they do, and not many people own them, so... I don't know how far you'll get asking people to test them for you.

If I get the time, I'll try to verify that they work at 30M.
I appreciate it very much Dr Williamsburg!!...and its my wish that anyone else seeing my request will also give me their feedback as to the stated 30m transmitted range!
post #192 of 393 Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM

Hi,

I have owned the MDR DS7500 for a few days now and wonder if anyone can help with a problem. I haven't been able to get CEC (or Bravia sync as Sony calls it) working with these headphones. My setup is:
Raspberry Pi > MDR > Samsung sound bar > Panasonic TV.
Everything is daisy chained with HDMI. The pass through is working fine when the unit is off, I get sound from the sound bar, and when I put on the headphones the sound bar is quiet and the headphones kick in. However, my Panasonic TV remote no longer controls XBMC on my RAspberry Pi. Before I connected the MDR it worked. I have tried various settings on the MDR, including Ctrl HDMI modes off, 1, and 2. CEC is enabled on the TV and the Pi.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Many thanks.
post #193 of 393 Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Hi everyone,
I think this "Sony MDR-DS7500", might be what I'm looking for in a wireless solution. My apartment neighbors don't seem to like my subwoofer much when I'm viewing BlueRay movies on my 7.1 system!

I'm ready to purchase this as I don't see any products really competing for this market for decent movie playback experience on a wireless headphone. Before I make the purchase I was hoping for some feedback, as returning this Japanese "import only" product may be troublesome, and it's fairly costly as well.

I have read this entire thread, as well as all others I could find online with a google search. I see some posters here actually have the product, and I have also downloaded and looked at the Japanese PDF manual, examining the diagrams, as I can't read the Japanese text.

My main questions, in regards to this product, are working with my own setup, in the manor I hope to connect it. I own, a now 4 year old Onkyo 906 AVR which along with all my other components, are all HDMI 1.3.

I have all my HDMI components "outputs", run via HDMI cables to my Onkyo AVR HDMI "inputs", this includes, an older AppleTV, and two BlueRay decks, one being an Oppo 83. My current setup uses the Onkyo's "HDMI MAIN" output to my Sharp HDTV's HDMI Input #1, and allows me to choose any of the Onkyo's inputs and hear the audio on my external speakers.

So as not to have to add any HDMI switchers, more cables, etc., it "seems" to me I might be able to connect this DS7500, using the Onkyo's 2nd HDMI OUTPUT called "HDMI SUB", then to the DS7500, then to the Sharp HDTV's 2nd HDMI input, like this:

HDMI Components, like (Oppo 83 BlueRay deck) HDMI OUTPUTS to -> Onkyo AVR HDMI INPUTS (choose HDMI "Sub" OUTPUT), to -> DS7500 HDMI INPUT, then, OUTPUT, to -> Sharp HDTV, 2nd HDMI INPUT.

This way, when I want to hear any of the audio from my components via my external speakers, I can leave my current setup "as is", using the Onkyo's 1st HDMI OUTPUT called "HDMI MAIN", and when I want to hear any of the same components audio via the wireless headphones, I simply switch to the Onkyo's 2nd HDMI OUTPUT "HDMI SUB".

This would put the wireless headphones between the AVR and the HDTV, and I'm assuming allow me to hear any of the audio that I choose from the AVR's input selections, ONLY on the wireless headphones, though I'm NOT sure?

The diagram on page #19 of the Japanese DS7500 manual, I believe they call it "Setup #3", looks like the path I would like to use, but I'm a bit confused as I also see an "optical" cable being used in this diagram, back from the TV to the DS7500, back to the AVR optical input, not sure this would be needed, and it seems like something I would like to avoid, to get the best quality audio in the first place, wouldn't all the HDMI connections negate needing to use any optical cables in this particular setup I describe?

I'll wait till I can get some feedback before buying this, just hoping for some confirmation or opinions if this product will work in the setup I've hopefully described in a clear manor.

THANKS!
post #194 of 393 Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

The diagram on page #19 of the Japanese DS7500 manual, I believe they call it "Setup #3", looks like the path I would like to use, but I'm a bit confused as I also see an "optical" cable being used in this diagram, back from the TV to the DS7500, back to the AVR optical input, not sure this would be needed, and it seems like something I would like to avoid, to get the best quality audio in the first place, wouldn't all the HDMI connections negate needing to use any optical cables in this particular setup I describe?
The optical cable is needed only if the TV does not support "ARC" audio return channel.
post #195 of 393 Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
I don't even bother with the optical cable at all, just run everything to a HDMI Matrix switch (including from my Cable DVR).

The best way to know with a complicated setup what's going to work is to try it. If you can't get it working you might need another HDMI switch/Matrix switch and it should be all good.

I love my DS7500s. I use them on almost a daily basis.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #196 of 393 Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 AM

I have an Onkyo 609 which only has one HDMI output and I placed the MDR between the reciever and the tv. It works fine, but it did take a little bit to get it the way I wanted it. I had to unplug everything to get everything properly recognized.
post #197 of 393 Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks all,
Still confused. Trying to avoid adding any HDMI switches, space for more cables etc. is limited. Returning the product may be a real headache, that's why I'm posting before buying and being frustrated then. As well as the inclusion of adding an optical cable to the audio path, see below.

What I don't understand, is with both the AUDIO and VIDEO coming out of my AVR, to the Sony MDR-DS7500, then to the HDTV, all via HDMI cabling, I guess I "thought", the audio would be sent out over the wireless headphones, and the VIDEO signal passed onto the HDTV. *Simple all HDMI cabling: (OPPO BLUERAY ---> ONKYO AVR ---> SONY DS7500 ---> HDTV)

But since the diagram (page #19, setup #3) specifically shows the addition of an optical cable back from the HDTV to the optical INPUT on the DS7500, then another optical cable from the DS7500 - OUTPUT (marked as OPT - OUT THROUGH), back to an OPTICAL INPUT on the HDTV, it seems this is the recommended proper cabling to get the wireless audio over the headphones. I was hoping it was just an "alternate" cabling method, but since the cable markings in the diagram are not "greyed out", it does not seem like an "alternate" to just pure HDMI cabling also shown. I then have to "assume", the Sony DS7500 is simply passing the HDMI AUDIO, though to the HDTV, and then you need to get the AUDIO, back INTO the DS7500, from the HDTV, via the OPTICAL cable.

BUT, by including the OPTICAL cable in the path, doesn't this NEGATE some of the signal quality, (higher codecs etc.) which is the main reason to purchase this HDMI DS7500 in the first place? There is a less expensive Sony model DS6500, available in the USA, which has NO HDMI, but optical connections.

My HDTV is a now OLD, 2007 Sharp Aquos LC-37D 62U, with NO mention of ARC in the manual, though it does have an "Optical OUT" connection on the rear.

NOTES FROM Sharp HDTV MANUAL:

It is possible to output audio through the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT terminal. (See page 29 for details.) PCM audio outputs from the terminal.

PCM: The optical output terminal outputs audio signal in PCM form. If your digital audio system does not support Dolby Digital, select “PCM”.
Dolby Digital: The optical output terminal outputs audio signal in Dolby Digital form. It reproduces sound from surround program of digital.

"tomlando's" post seems promising, but no mention of how he cabled. Thanks, sorry if I'm being dense here, wish I could read Japanese! smile.gif
post #198 of 393 Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

From a thread on the much cheaper Sony MDR-DS6500:

QUOTE: "The Optical input will pass the older compressed DD-EX and DTS-ES 7.1 audio formats. It will not pass the new uncompressed Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Codec, HDMI is required for this. When using the optical connection, a Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD source will be down-converted to regular DD or DTS."

Hence the main reason to spend 2x as much for the DS-7500, and AVOID any "optical" cabling paths.
post #199 of 393 Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Optical is a non-issue when it comes to DTV audio from a TV tuner (or cable/sat box for that matter). The audio is exactly the same whether carried on S/PDIF (optical or coax) or HDMI.

The issue here is whether the TV has ARC or not. If so, the same HDMI cable that delivers video into the TV can return the TV tuner's audio back to the DS7500. If the TV does not support ARC, then the optical has to be used. If the TV has no tuner, or you never use it (like a monitor), then there is no need for the optical connection.

HDMI connections from a BD player into the DS7500 make it possible to hear the HD audio.
post #200 of 393 Old 01-27-2013, 05:40 PM

Has anybody solved a problem with CEC for these headphones? Has anyone used CEC successfully? The translation from the manual did not help, contacting Sony Japan didn't either, and my Japanese speaking brother has no idea. This forum is my last hope!
post #201 of 393 Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Optical is a non-issue when it comes to DTV audio from a TV tuner (or cable/sat box for that matter). The audio is exactly the same whether carried on S/PDIF (optical or coax) or HDMI.

The issue here is whether the TV has ARC or not. If so, the same HDMI cable that delivers video into the TV can return the TV tuner's audio back to the DS7500. If the TV does not support ARC, then the optical has to be used. If the TV has no tuner, or you never use it (like a monitor), then there is no need for the optical connection.

HDMI connections from a BD player into the DS7500 make it possible to hear the HD audio.

Thanks again for sticking with me on this! I don't need or care about any Audio coming back from the HDTV's Tuner section, and I don't believe my old TV has ARC. I just don't want to have to re-cable all my sources to the DS-7500 first, then onto the AVR. The AVR currently inputs all my HDMI sources, and I can choose a single OUTPUT source via HDMI cable to the DS-7500, then onto the HDTV. Main source would be the Oppo-83, but there would be times I would let the AVR select my AppleTV as that can deliver 5.1 audio on movie rentals. Since I don't need the HDTV's "tuner" audio, then can I assume my simple HDMI cabling would work?
Oppo-83 ---> Onkyo 906 AVR ---> Sony DS-7500 ---> Sharp HDTV

This way I can let the AVR select my source, while running just one cable to the Sony DS-7500, then on to the HDTV.
Thanks!
post #202 of 393 Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

This way I can let the AVR select my source, while running just one cable to the Sony DS-7500, then on to the HDTV.
I think that should work, operative word being "should." When it comes to DS7500, I have learned not to make hard assurances.
post #203 of 393 Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 AM

I am only using the HDMI cables from the reciever to the MDR in, then out to the TV. The ARC works fine if I am using the TV tuner, but I do have to turn the volume down on the receiver because audio is being played at the same time that the headphones are working.
post #204 of 393 Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks to both "Roger", and "Tomlando",
I realize there are no guarantees when it comes to any of this stuff, since we all have different gear, but at least it gives me the best chance before making this kind of "import" type of purchase. If it were an off the shelf device, I would have tried it already.

From some quick research I've done, sites seem to indicate that ARC is fairly newer then my now older gear, and they list it as a HDMI 1.4 compatible feature. All my gear is HDMI 1.3, and working fine BTW. As I'm cabled now, if I want to hear the TV "tuners" audio, I already have an optical cable from the TV to the AVR, but in this case I am really just interested in getting the audio from either the BlueRay deck or AppleTV, out from the AVR, not the TV tuner audio, so I think I now understand why the DS-7500 Japanese PDF manual shows the extra optical cables in the setup. "Tomlando's" setup seems the closet to what I want to do, minus the ARC. Thanks guys, I'll let everyone know how it all ends up.
post #205 of 393 Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM

Isn't there anyone who uses these headphones with a computer?
post #206 of 393 Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joar Blom View Post

Isn't there anyone who uses these headphones with a computer?

Yep, via HDMI. Works fine. Asus U47VC.
post #207 of 393 Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

FOLLOWUP REPORT:
Got the Sony MDR-DS7500 headphones today. Hooked them up the way I mentioned a few posts back, but to refresh.

*Simple all HDMI cabling: (OPPO BLUERAY ---> ONKYO (TX-NR906) AVR ---> SONY DS7500 ---> HDTV)

I wanted to keep the DS7500 "after" the AVR, not before it, or bypass it. I have all of my other 3 sources directly HDMI cabled to the AVR, (AppleTV, Oppo BlueRay, Panasonic BlueRay, and an old Samsung DVD deck).

The only thing I could not figure out, could not make work, is when trying to route through the DS7500 from the AVR, using the exact same cabling but coming out of the AVR's 2nd HDMI "Output" called "SUB", I do NOT get any VIDEO. But from the HDMI output labeled "MAIN", I get both audio and video. There is no settings on the AVR, other then choosing "Main/Sub/Analog", this under "Monitor Output" on this AVR. Cables were tested, swapped etc., when bypassing the DS7500 box entirely, and going directly from AVR to HDTV from the AVR's "SUB" output, both Audio and Video worked fine. So that was my only unexplained failure, but when I made the discovery below, it ended up NOT mattering, as I can avoid using the "SUB" HDMI output from the AVR totally, I'll explain below.

I guess the main part I, "over" thought, in my longwinded questions in previous posts, were I originally thought I would have to use the 2nd HDMI "Output" on the AVR, called "SUB", to keep the whole DS7500 separate from my 1st HDMI "Output", called "MAIN", as I was assuming the headphone box might be a dead-end, or not pass my AVR's audio codecs etc. from all my other AVR sources. But a welcome surprise is even with the DS7500 in "STANDBY MODE", it works fine as a simple "pass through", I tested using a TrueHD 7.1 BlueRay video/audio source, all audio codec icons and external speakers worked as before. So I can avoid using a secondary cabling system from the AVR's "SUB" HDMI output (didn't work for me anyways as noted above).

NOTE: If the DS7500 is disconnected from A.C. power, there will be NO video feed via it's HDMI connection, routed through the headphone box, though I could still hear "audio". I tried testing the "HDMI Control" switch on the side of the control box, in positions #1, #2, and left it "OFF", as it had NO effect. Therefore, to see video, the DS7500 has to always be powered, even if you are not planning on using the headphones while playing through your normal speaker setup. One could perhaps surmise there could be some extra HDMI video processing, not sure on this, though not concerned myself. BTW: My entire system including cables is HDMI 1.3, NOT the latest 1.4 version, if that makes any difference, I would not know.

Now getting it to actually work:

Well, it took me awhile to figure out that my Onkyo TX-NR906 AVR, needed to have a settings change before I could get the DS7500 to broadcast the audio over the headphones.

On page #118 of the Onkyo AVR manual, I had to turn ON: "Audio TV Out". In case anyone's interested this is what the manual says regarding this setting:

"This setting determines whether audio received by an HDMI input is output by the HDMI outputs. You may want to change this setting to “On” if your TV is connected to an HDMI output and you want to listen to audio from an HDMI component through your TV’s speakers. Normally, it should be set to “Off”.

OFF: HDMI audio is not output (default).
ON: HDMI audio is output."

So for headphone use, I must go into the AVR's menu, about 3 deep, and then turn on "Audio to TV Out", after which the AVR's display says: "HDMI Through", and the "Mute" light activates. I then get the audio through the headphones, not my 7.1 speakers. Even though the above manuals statement discusses the TV speakers, not my interest, once I understood the audio was not being passed back down the HDMI cable to the Sony headphone base station, it made a bit more sense. This is perhaps similar to ARC, but none of my 4 year old HDMI 1.3 gear has ARC, though I believe the AVR has some HDMI CEC controls, but I keep all that stuff OFF.

When reverting back to all external speaker use, I do have to toggle "Audio to TV Out", back to "OFF", as this has a bad effect on external speaker output from the AVR, if this setting were left "ON", while I can still hear audio over the speakers, I lose many of the audio codecs of the AVR, on the video disk, for example the 7.1 TrueHD audio from the BlueRay disk I was testing with. As well as the audio volume being dramatically "reduced". So it's not a big deal at all, and at least everything appears to be working as I had hoped.

I've never been much of a "headphone" person, my best quality ones are actually the Etymotic ER-4 inner earbuds, which are "wired". Nice to cut the cord with these Sony's. As far as audio quality, I did not buy them for music playback, though they sure sound nice to me. Movie playback at night when I can't run the speakers and subwoofer was my main reason, and so far I've played back the cave scene in Iron Man, and the stomping in the cave that would shake the walls with the subwoofer, certainly moved the headphones at near full volume. The volume itself seems fine to me, most likely I'd run them around 8 or 9 out of 10 setting. What is also great, is being able to discern low volume level dialog, which has always been an issue with my weak center speaker. I have not had a chance to do much more listening as of now, lost a lot of time, figuring out the issues I encountered above. From what I have heard so far, movie surround sound playback is GREAT! I believe this product will fulfill my needs, so again THANKS to everyone that helped me with your feedback!
post #208 of 393 Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 61
How do u all use a voltage converter with the headphones?
post #209 of 393 Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post

How do u all use a voltage converter with the headphones?

It does NOT need one, plugged it right into the wall, standard USA 2 prong plug. On both headphone charger wall wart, and base station unit power.
vaktmestern likes this.
post #210 of 393 Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

SUMMARY: Best to route HDMI sources directly into Sony base station.

I've had some more time to explore and test using the Sony MDR-DS7500 with my particular system.

My original goal was to hopefully not interrupt my current system too much, meaning all the cabling etc. I think I have close to that, but now understand more. What I have encountered may not apply to more modern AVR setups, as my once top of the line, Onkyo 906 is now over 3 years old, which seems like a lifetime in audio gear.

I was hoping to simply add the DS7500 as an HDMI output to my AVR, since all my components are routed through the AVR. But then I had to learn how to get the audio out via HDMI cable, to the headphone base station transmitter. In my case the only way to get audio out of my AVR via HDMI, is to enable a setting on the AVR called "Audio to TV Out". This appeared to be working fine, except I noticed the only CODEC light on the DS7500 that would come on, no matter what BlueRay disk was playing, was the generic "Dolby" light. Seems at least on my older AVR, this AUDIO output through HDMI cable is only capable of some kind of audio down converting, since at the time of my AVR's manufacturing, most HDMI TV's, could only accept this input, limiting the audio formats. I'm sure things have changed, and perhaps newer models and brands of AVR's can pass more of the available audio formats via their HDMI output terminals.

But, I have to live with what I have. So my first tests using a few BlueRay disks, (with my AVR set to "Audio to TV Out"), listening through the headphones went well and sounded good, though only the Dolby audio light would appear on the Sony base station. But when I started playing the AIX Audio Calibration BlueRay disk, I noticed some of the higher resolution audio codecs were not passing through the headphone transmitter at all. This disk has many choices of what audio formats one can output, the more standard Dolby 5.1 audio transmitted fine through the Sony base station.

For a quick test, I re-routed to a more direct HDMI wiring, directly from Oppo BlueRay to Sony base station, bypassing the AVR completely. Being stubborn, I was still hoping the former cabling would be acceptable, since when I listened to the "Speaker Placement" test tones, I could now play all the audio formats, and the 7.1 versus the 5.1 tone placement was difficult to tell much difference between Left/Right Surround and Left/Right REAR Surrounds, there was a slight feeling of the location of the sounds moving a bit. So, I was considering just leaving the setup alone, as the 5.1 to 7.1 audio did not appear to make a huge difference. However, with further testing I was forced to change my mind.

I went back to my former wiring, from (Oppo BlueRay-->AVR-->Sony Headphones-->). But after buying a new BlueRay "MIB 3" (48 kHz 5.1 ch), I was not able to hear the audio from it's LONE audio format "DTS-HD Master Audio". My previous BlueRay movie disks were a few years old, but many of those had alternate audio formats, it seems now that DTS-HD Master Audio has almost become the "standard", but I was surprised there were no other formats on the BlueRay disk, however the package did include a separate, standard DVD. So I began to do more testing with the AIX test BlueRay disk, and these are the results.

1) MY ORIGINAL HDMI SETUP: (OPPO BLUERAY -bitstream --> ONKYO (TX-NR906) AVR -> SONY DS7500 --> HDTV) *with AVR HDMI audio output set to "Audio to TV Out".

NOTE: I also tried changing the output on the OPPO, to LPCM, from Bitstream, but then I could only hear via the head phones, Dolby Digital 2.0 and LPCM 2.0, so I left the output on "bitstream", where I have always preferred to let my AVR do the decoding, not the BlueRay source.

FORMATS THAT WOULD NOT PLAY-->THROUGH HEADPHONES:

DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO (96 kHz/24-bit/7.1 ch)
DOLBY DIGITAL TRUE HD (96 kHz/24-bit/7.1 ch) (this format defaulted/switched to a secondary Dolby Digital track on the disk as a built-in audio warning as to improper audio setup)
LPCM (96 kHz/24-bit/7.1 ch)
LPCM (96 kHz/24-bit/5.1 ch)

FORMATS THAT DID PLAY-->THROUGH HEADPHONES:

DOLBY DIGITAL (48 kHz/16-bit/5.1 ch)
DTS (48 kHz/24-bit/5.1 ch)
LPCM (96 kHz/24-bit/2.0 ch)
DOLBY DIGITAL (48 kHz/16-bit/2.0 ch)

As you can see from these tests, too many sources (all the higher 96 kHz, audio would not play, but REMEMBER this seems to be the LIMITATION of the Onkyo's AVR HDMI Output setting noted above "Audio to TV Out", which is the only way I can get audio out via HDMI to the Sony base station, and that output is then somewhat crippled in terms of the formats it will work with. The MIB 3 BlueRay is (48 kHz 5.1 ch), but still it's "DTS-HD Master Audio" would not play either.

2) DIRECT HDMI SETUP: (OPPO BLUERAY - bitstream -->SONY DS7500-->HDTV)

ALL THE ABOVE FORMATS PLAY THROUGH SONY HEADPHONES, AND CORRESPONDING LIGHTS ON SONY BASE STATION LIGHT UP! This is what you WANT to SEE and HEAR!

ADDITIONAL NOTE: As I believe I mentioned in my previous post, when I just want to hear my external speakers and not the SONY headphones, I am able to pass through all the Audio Sources, from the AVR -->SONY BASE STATION --> HDTV, when the SONY BASE STATION is in "STANDBY" mode, but I discovered that you must still make sure you have already selected the matching HDMI input on the base station, INPUTS 1-3, before it goes in STANDBY mode, or you will not hear your desired input source at all.

So in conclusion, since when coming from the AVR to the SONY, the DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO would not work at all, this changed my mind on not changing my wiring a bit. The simplest solution for me was to purchase a: "ViewHD HDMI Bi-directional 2x1 or 1x2 A-B Switcher", on Amazon for $18.00. From the OPPO BlueRay deck I'll go into the switcher, and then one output will go to my AVR, and the second output will go to the SONY base station. The OPPO deck is the only source I have that has all the audio output options, so choosing to go directly into the SONY, gives me all the proper audio and lights, then when switching the routing to the AVR from the OPPO, allows for external speaker playback and all full audio sources. Hope someone finds this helpful.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Wireless Digital Sorround Headphones System Mdr Ds7500 , Sony Wireless Stereo Surround Headphone System Mdr Ds7100 Japan Import
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page