Yamaha HTR-5790 electrical hum? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I recently picked up a used Yamaha HTR-5790 at a sale. There was no way at the time to test it other than powering up, which it did. Once I brought it home and connected some speakers (Polk Monitor 5jr), I hear some kind of electrical hum from the speakers. It has a constant frequency and level, no matter which input is selected or where the volume control is set. The hum is also present when there are no source devices connected. So far, on the input I checked, it passes signal and seems to play fine. I just don't want to listen to the hum between songs or sections of dialog. I have also tried using a ground lift adapter with no change.

Btw, I only paid $40 for it, so I should have suspected something, but I wasn't able to pass it up. I am hoping it will be a simple repair. I'll keep looking through the manual to see if I find something that isn't set right, but my past experience tells me this is probably something internal to the hardware.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-06-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Unplug all inputs, pick a channel (center, left front, whatever) and connect one speaker at a time. If it hums with say the first 3 you try, you're probably screwed. If not, try reconnected speakers and inputs one by one until the hum comes back to see what's causing the hum.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page