Rear speakers on Pioneer VSX-1021-K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-09-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there. Forgive the ignorance, but I've read the manual and am still stumped on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

I recently upgraded to a Pioneer VSX-1021-K from a pretty terrible Costco HTIB setup and am having trouble trying to get the system to use the rear speakers. It'll use them occasionally when full surround is provided by the source (Blu-ray movies, some PS3 games) but when playing a more basic source (Airplay, downloaded TV shows, records), I don't get any sound out of my rear speakers. My old setup used to "fake" surround sound by simply playing the same audio as the front speakers, and I feel like that provided a better experience in my small living room. Any idea how I can tell the VSX-1021-K to go ahead and do the same?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Use the Advanced surround and switch to Dolby Pro Logic II or DTS Neo:6. Check your manual for instructions on how to do that. These processors won't just play all the audio to your rear speakers -- they will spit out surround sound.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofart View Post

Use the Advanced surround and switch to Dolby Pro Logic II or DTS Neo:6. Check your manual for instructions on how to do that. These processors won't just play all the audio to your rear speakers -- they will spit out surround sound.

Just tried this, and neither Dolby Pro Logic II or DTS Neo:6 force any audio out of the rear speakers. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
post #4 of 11 Old 09-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorfrog View Post

Just tried this, and neither Dolby Pro Logic II or DTS Neo:6 force any audio out of the rear speakers. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

5 channel stereo...

<><

RTR
post #5 of 11 Old 09-11-2011, 04:00 AM

Check the speaker connections, and make sure the rear speakers are 'on' in the receiver (run MCACC or use Setup on the remote). It is possible the receiver doesn't know you have rear speakers.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-11-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
make sure you have the speakers hooked up to the "surround" jacks, not the "back" jacks...

have you run mcacc?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #7 of 11 Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 PM

I'm having the exact same issue and doesn't look like there's a lot of info on it (which usually means it's on me). All 5 satellites are connected and working when I run MCACC. Also, I am using Surround inputs and the system recognizes those satellites as Surround. Made sure my PS3 was set to output 5.1. Getting bummed :'(
post #8 of 11 Old 09-18-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorfrog View Post

Hi there. Forgive the ignorance, but I've read the manual and am still stumped on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

I recently upgraded to a Pioneer VSX-1021-K from a pretty terrible Costco HTIB setup and am having trouble trying to get the system to use the rear speakers. It'll use them occasionally when full surround is provided by the source (Blu-ray movies, some PS3 games) but when playing a more basic source (Airplay, downloaded TV shows, records), I don't get any sound out of my rear speakers. My old setup used to "fake" surround sound by simply playing the same audio as the front speakers, and I feel like that provided a better experience in my small living room. Any idea how I can tell the VSX-1021-K to go ahead and do the same?

Thanks!

Ahhh if the unit's screen says STEREO, press the ADV SURR button in the LISTENING MODE section (bottom most, right most button). For some reason the system defaults to stereo? Anyway, keep hitting that button, there are EQ-like presets. I used TV SURROUND for my cable and ACTION for my ps3.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

i would STRONGLY suggestbto the op that they use either dolby plii or dts neo... the artificial sound modes of "advanced surround" are a scourge upon the earth...

if he is not getting sound out of them in this manner, his issue is what i suggested in my earlier post...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #10 of 11 Old 10-13-2011, 03:40 PM

hi razor put it on ext stereo you should hear all speakers then
post #11 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 07:50 PM

I just came across this thread, having the same problem,I just bought four more towers,with a total of 6 klipsch towers,center,sub,two bose wide highs, 9 speakers in all for my vsx-1122 I can't half of them to play at the same time,sub and mids works on some blueray,but they all work on MCACC, gona give it a try tomarrow,just seeing if any of you were still having the problem, Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page