Denon AVR-3312CI, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, or Yamaha RX-V871 AV Receiver and why? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I am finally down to three and hope that some of you with experience and knowledge of these three can help me decide. The finalist are:

Denon AVR-3312CI
Pioneer Elite VSX-52
Yamaha RX-V871 AV Receiver

Please cast your educated votes with reasoning and thank you in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 10:07 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
What is it that you need in the 3312CI that the 2112CI doesn't offer? You might also want to compare the RX-V867 to the V871 to see if it meets your needs as both have the same MSRP and the 867 can be had for just under 1/2 that of the 871 if purchased at NewEgg by end of today.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 09-15-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

What is it that you need in the 3312CI that the 2112CI doesn't offer? You might also want to compare the RX-V867 to the V871 to see if it meets your needs as both have the same MSRP and the 867 can be had for just under 1/2 that of the 871 if purchased at NewEgg by end of today.

Let's see...HD Radio Tuner, Video Scaling 1080p/24, 7 HDMI inputs, 125w vs 90w.

I am really surprised more knowledgable folks aren't adding to this discussion of three great AV receivers.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:10 AM
585-645-1006

If you feel you really need these features, then yes, otherwise ....

HD Radio - have you used one before at your current location? Often times reception is too weak unless very close to the station which results in the AVR selecting the analog signal instead. Internet radio is much more popular which is likely why Denon dropped HD radio from all but the 3312CI.

Video Scaling - your source (cable/sat box, game box, BDP) and/or TV is very likely to do just as good a job

7 HDMI - the 2112CI offers 6

125W vs. 90W - moot, you'll likely never notice the difference (at average volume an average 8Ω speaker only draws < 5W/CH)

Now what it does offer, that isn't offered on the lower models are a full set of preouts should you want to add an external amp.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 09-16-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If you feel you really need these features, then yes, otherwise ....

HD Radio - have you used one before at your current location? Often times reception is too weak unless very close to the station which results in the AVR selecting the analog signal instead. Internet radio is much more popular which is likely why Denon dropped HD radio from all but the 3312CI.

Video Scaling - your source (cable/sat box, game box, BDP) and/or TV is very likely to do just as good a job

7 HDMI - the 2112CI offers 6

125W vs. 90W - moot, you'll likely never notice the difference (at average volume an average 8Ω speaker only draws < 5W/CH)

Now what it does offer, that isn't offered on the lower models are a full set of preouts should you want to add an external amp.

I agree.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

HD Radio works well for me and I like it, but most importantly, can someone put together an educated position for which of the three I listed is the best and why?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 AM

I just picked up the RX-V871BL from my local Costco store in Austin yesterday for $489. I am replacing a decent Yamaha HTR-5063 for a nominal difference in cost.. $489 is a helluva good price right now on the 871.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

That is a great price! I checked our Costco and they didn't have it here in San Antonio.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer View Post

HD Radio works well for me and I like it, but most importantly, can someone put together an educated position for which of the three I listed is the best and why?

The Denon will EQ a subwoofer while the Pioneer and Yamaha will not. The Pioneer and Yamaha will allow you to manually tweak the eq curve while the Denon will not. The Denon has multiple crossovers while the Pioneer and Yamaha will only let you set 1 crossover for all speakers. Those are the biggest differences to me so it just depends on what features are important to you.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Liked: 13
Just picked up the V871 from Costco myself. Also got the Onkyo TX-NR709 last week from 6AVE at $520+tax. Can't decide which one to keep...

The Onkyo looks like a little more feature packed and with a better GUI.

Sound quality sounds about the same to me..

What do the experts think - which one is the keeper?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Liked: 12
Here are my 2 Cents. I like my music to sound GREAT and I'm very happy with my Denon 4308 in my main room with 7 Canton CT-1000 speakers and a Sunfire Sub .

Now I know that the 3312 is not the 4308 yet so many of the features I enjoy are here at just a fraction of the cost. More important I'm happy with the Denon and I'll bet this next-gen 3312 will sound wonderful in my den. With 7 NHT speakers and a HSU 15 in Sub. I'm sure it will blow away anything at the same price point. The DNLA ability to play my FLAC files is very important. In a week I'll have mine and I'll post a detailed review. All the best to you.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indeed330 View Post

Just picked up the V871 from Costco myself. Also got the Onkyo TX-NR709 last week from 6AVE at $520+tax. Can't decide which one to keep...

The Onkyo looks like a little more feature packed and with a better GUI.

Sound quality sounds about the same to me..

What do the experts think - which one is the keeper?

Thanks!

The Yamaha will likely out last the Onkyo by a number of years. Hell, Onkyo's have been known to crap out within a year. Walk into the Magnolia section of Best Buy and put your hand over the top of all the receivers. I'd be willing to bet my pay check that the Onkyo's are the hottest. I have felt some that wouldn't even allow me to keep my hand on it for longer than a couple seconds. I was seriously concidering a Onkyo but after feeling how hot they got and reading all the horror stories I decided to stay away.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

I'd be willing to bet my pay check that the Onkyo's are the hottest. I have felt some that wouldn't even allow me to keep my hand on it for longer than a couple seconds. I was seriously concidering a Onkyo but after feeling how hot they got and reading all the horror stories I decided to stay away.

You would likely lose your pay check then as the Onkyo X09 series are not HOT at all. I was in a Magnolia a few weeks ago and the Onkyo 809 was cooler to the touch then was the Denon 3312CI.

Tags
Pioneer Elite Vsx 52 Av Network Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Yamaha Rx V871 Receiver