Denon AVR-1712 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-13-2011, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello i am new to the forum and need some help regarding amps.

I am looking to purchase an amp to run 7.1 surround sound and also be able to be used as a hdmi splitter. I was scourwing the web and came across the Denon AVR-1712. I have always liked denon because of their build quality but have never really bought something like this before. I was wondering if you guys knew of any entry level amps (not dvd home theatre systems) that are under 400 bucks and would suit my needs. I really do not know anything about this field so i was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Btw i live in Aus so its gotta be available over here.

Thanks and i do hope that i posted this in the right section.

p.s sorry i couldnt post the link seeing as this is my first post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-13-2011, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 116
The Denon 1712 is a great entry level AVR. It has Audyssey Mult EQ room correction software built in that does an excellent job.

What do you mean by 'HDMI splitter'?

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 11 Old 09-13-2011, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The Denon 1712 is a great entry level AVR. It has Audyssey Mult EQ room correction software built in that does an excellent job.

What do you mean by 'HDMI splitter'?

What i mean by HDMI splitter is say for example you can plug your ps3, xbox... into the amp and have it all going to the projector through one hdmi cable. I have the Dell 1510X and it only has one HDMI input.

For the "Room correction software built in" does that mean that the amp will auto calibrate the speakers to suit the room or something?
post #4 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
AVRs generally act as an HDMI "switch" vice a "splitter" as they take many HDMI inputs and output to a single HDMI monitor jack. You can review the various Denon models by looking at post #2 in the Denon XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig. There are 4 levels of Audyssey MultEQ speaker calibration software. Denon's start with the 2nd one and the 1712 actually uses the 3rd level one which uses more speaker filters than does the 2nd level one.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 02:49 PM

I own a Denon AVR-1712 for one of our HT systems, and I like it a lot.

Audyssey is the room-correction software that is in the Denon receivers, and yes, it will calibrate your speakers by using the supplied Audyssey microphone to try get the best sound in your room. In my case, it made a huge difference.

The thing that stood out about the Denon 1712 is that not only does it have Audyssey, but it has a fairly higher end version of it as it has MultiEQ XT. Until this year, you had to spend a lot of money to get that version of Audyssey. I was all about improving my sound so I looked for a receiver that had MultiEQ XT. Onkyos cheapest model to have XT was around $500.

The only thing that I find slightly annoying, and I knew this going in, is that we also connect non-HDMI devices to the 1712, like our Wii, so I have to use component cables and can't have everything through one HDMI cable. This model Denon doesn't do any video conversion but passes the video straight through. If you are using all HDMI devices, then you are fine. Although note, regardless of receiver from any company or model, some devices have HDMI handshake issues like Cable/Satellite boxes so you may need to run the HDMI from the box to the TV and use optical out to the receiver.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 PM
585-645-1006

Adding this roughly $40 component --> HDMI converter from Monoprice will allow you to connect the Wii via HDMI to the 1712.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #7 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

But the sound on the Wii is analog. it needs a red and white not the optical or coax inputs on that converter.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 03:13 PM
585-645-1006

Unless there's a reason to pass the audio through to the TV, that converter will work fine to pass the video.

Edit: A better option is to use the Wii2HDMI which converts both the video and audio to HDMI.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #9 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingturtle View Post

The thing that stood out about the Denon 1712 is that not only does it have Audyssey, but it has a fairly higher end version of it as it has MultiEQ XT.

I think this is the lowest price AVR with XT version. Great feature. Better than some damned sound quality killing ipod dock.

JMHO.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #10 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 04:36 PM

Nice find, Jdsmoothie. I didn't know about that device for the Wii.
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 03:17 AM

I have an AVR-1712 and would like to know how to load the functions of the WDTV media center into the remote control.

That capability, which I'm pretty sure can be done, is not specified on the Owner's Manual. As I have doing that on many previous receivers, I guess there is a way to do that on this model.

Can anyone tell me how?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page