1Likes

post #4291 of 4306 Old 10-23-2014, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post
With all this talk of Dolby Atmos, I hope Integra/Onkyo will provide the DHC 80.3 with a FW up-grade making it Dolby Atmos capable. There is enough "horsepower under the hood", so to speak, that it is possible.

Thoughts????

Paul

I like this idea, even a paid firmware upgrade would be great. I wouldn't mind paying a substantial amount to have this done.

It looks like if i were to go to Atmos, I probably wouldn't consider the 80.6 as it drops audyssey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 4306 Old 10-23-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Unfortunately, the 80.3 does not have enough horsepower under the hood. Unless, perhaps, you're willing to do without Audyssey. (Not that they'd support that, anyhow. Onkyo wants to sell new equipment and make money.)

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #4293 of 4306 Old 10-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Unfortunately, the 80.3 does not have enough horsepower under the hood. Unless, perhaps, you're willing to do without Audyssey. (Not that they'd support that, anyhow. Onkyo wants to sell new equipment and make money.)
I was just about to reply......that if they were to provide some sort of FW to enable ATMOS it would be at the expense of Audyssey XT32. No thanks!!! They can keep their ATMOS......If and when I up-grade, I will look at Marantz/Denon whom I believe have both Audyssey XT32+ATMOS.

Paul
post #4294 of 4306 Old 10-23-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
well if it doesn't have enough horse power then that's that. I wouldn't also give up Audyssey for it, i would just head out and buy a new unit and it looks like it wont' be Onkyo.

Well making money is one thing. I think if it were possible and Onkyo put out a firmware update for users who paid for it to give you the best of both worlds. They could potentially make more margin vs selling a unit and making less.
post #4295 of 4306 Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CElee View Post
well if it doesn't have enough horse power then that's that. I wouldn't also give up Audyssey for it, i would just head out and buy a new unit and it looks like it wont' be Onkyo.

Well making money is one thing. I think if it were possible and Onkyo put out a firmware update for users who paid for it to give you the best of both worlds. They could potentially make more margin vs selling a unit and making less.
I doubt very much that they'd even be able to cover the R&D cost of adding Atmos and keeping Audyssey not to mention the fact that it doesn't support their direction on new hardware (i.e. AccuEQ and Atmos).
post #4296 of 4306 Old 10-31-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone here ever have issues with the ethernet port? I noticed that Control4 wasn't controlling the unit, and when I looked in the back the ethernet light wasn't blinking. I swapped out the cable to another device and the cable is ok, and then I connected a working port on the network switch to the 80.3 and the light went out on the switch. I went into setup and I can't connect to the network, so I think my ethernet port is dead.

Anyone experience this?
post #4297 of 4306 Old 11-02-2014, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteak View Post
Anyone here ever have issues with the ethernet port? I noticed that Control4 wasn't controlling the unit, and when I looked in the back the ethernet light wasn't blinking. I swapped out the cable to another device and the cable is ok, and then I connected a working port on the network switch to the 80.3 and the light went out on the switch. I went into setup and I can't connect to the network, so I think my ethernet port is dead.

Anyone experience this?
I have the sister PRSC5509. I had a similar situation about a year ago, but only once. I reset the processor(painfully reconfigured everything again) and it has been working flawlessly since then.
post #4298 of 4306 Old 11-02-2014, 11:50 AM
ed1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently, I have had sporadic audio loss and loss of (wired) network connection with my Integra 80.3. The audio loss has become almost constant now, regardless of which component connected to the 80.3 is being used.

I called Integra product support today, and upon hearing my issues, they immediately agreed to have my 80.3 shipped (at their expense) to their service center for replacement of a known defective part. The rep did not know what part, but I am fairly confident it is the HDMI board.

They said that my unit should be returned to me promptly after just a short time at the service center.

My unit is still in the warranty period, but they mentioned that they were providing this service for units both in and out of warranty.

I believe that the HDMI board failure issue is related to overheating. My system has been used infrequently and, some but not all of the time, with dual computer fan supplementary cooling turned on. Yet the failure still occurred.

Last edited by ed1; 11-02-2014 at 01:17 PM.
post #4299 of 4306 Old 11-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I put in a mch analog amp in the path between Integra/Onkyo and my amp and then ran Audyssey again. Audyssey bumped the speaker levels to +12 DB including the floor standers along with tiny bookshelves. (bookshelves are being used for surrounds and surround backs). has anyone seen this behavior? I tried to take the measurements twice and observed the same result.

I like Audyssey engaged for Mch music and movies, but for 2Ch, I like more transparent sound of pre-6, that's why I have the preamp in the path.

The path is Source(oppo105,Set top box)-> Onkyo -> Bel Canto pre-6 -> D-sonic amp -> Speakers
Source(oppo105, SB touch with DAC) -> Bel Canto pre6 -> D-Sonic -> speakers

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: D-sonic Magnum 7-3500
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #4300 of 4306 Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
I put in a mch analog amp in the path between Integra/Onkyo and my amp and then ran Audyssey again. Audyssey bumped the speaker levels to +12 DB including the floor standers along with tiny bookshelves. (bookshelves are being used for surrounds and surround backs). has anyone seen this behavior? I tried to take the measurements twice and observed the same result.

I like Audyssey engaged for Mch music and movies, but for 2Ch, I like more transparent sound of pre-6, that's why I have the preamp in the path.

The path is Source(oppo105,Set top box)-> Onkyo -> Bel Canto pre-6 -> D-sonic amp -> Speakers
Source(oppo105, SB touch with DAC) -> Bel Canto pre6 -> D-Sonic -> speakers
A value of +12 indicates that Audyssey had to increase the AVR's preamp outputs to the maximum it was allowed but it still wasn't enough. In other words, your results are consistent with the Bel Canto preamp acting as an attenuator, not an amp. I.e. its gain is much less than 1. Where did you set its volume control? If it wasn't near its maximum setting, that would explain your results. (Note that the addition of more circuitry between the Onkyo and the amplifiers can only add distortion, not reduce it, although I'm sure its at a lower level than you can hear in either case. I.E. the effect that you're hearing most likely is due to "expectation bias".)

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #4301 of 4306 Old 11-05-2014, 07:29 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Anyone experience this?
I believe your issue is most likely a bad or failing HDMI board, the ethernet port is on the same board. A faulty ethernet port is one of the many symptoms of a failing HDMI board. Call Integra service pronto and tell them what's going on.

post #4302 of 4306 Old 11-07-2014, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Anyone experience this?
Have you tried to get or have you asked your installer to switch control of the processor from ethernet to the RS232 port using Control 4?
post #4303 of 4306 Old 11-07-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Have you tried to get or have you asked your installer to switch control of the processor from ethernet to the RS232 port using Control 4?
I haven't. I guess that could work? I would still need the ethernet port to work. Interestingly, it's working now. I'm sure the board is failing. I can get a new rig from Integra. What concerns me is this is a newer piece of equipment supposedly after they addressed this issue, or did they? What are the odds a new rig will fail as well? Hmmmm.
post #4304 of 4306 Old 11-07-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I haven't. I guess that could work? I would still need the ethernet port to work. Interestingly, it's working now. I'm sure the board is failing. I can get a new rig from Integra. What concerns me is this is a newer piece of equipment supposedly after they addressed this issue, or did they? What are the odds a new rig will fail as well? Hmmmm.
I sent mine in for repairs about two months ago to have the same issue resolved. It was working for a quite a bit, now the issue has re-appeared. I rarely use the ethernet function as I get most of my music capabilities through Sonos. If a hard reset doesn't work I will probably go the RS232 route.
post #4305 of 4306 Old 11-08-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had a bad digital board like you. I had a local repair shop swap out the board. They said that the newer boards with an upgraded DSP chipset has been very reliable.
post #4306 of 4306 Old 11-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Question Hdmi board failure

I use my hdmi through feature to watch tv when I don't feel like powering up my ht. however, if I don't use the tv for a couple of days i loose just the audio to my tv, video is fine. If I reboot the pre pro the audio comes back. Could this be my hdmi board beginning to fail?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra