Integra DHC-80.3 - Page 146 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #4351 of 4368 Old 05-09-2015, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4647 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post
I do not see Pure Audio in my Integra 80.3, but I do see it in my OPPO. These days, I don't use OPPO... For music I mainly use JRiver and Spotify on my HTPC.... I should try to use OPPO, but I just find it too clunky vs using my HTPC. But I did find a listening mode 'Direct' in 80.3, using this mode... audio is only directed to front speakers... But found that if I have a speaker cross over... The cross over stays in place.... which means I lose any audio below cross over. Do you set your speakers full range ? Or do you set a cross over ? If you have a cross over... are you sure you are not missing audio below your cross over ?

Seems like in order to use listening mode named 'Direct' I would have to set my fronts to full band... but what happens when I watch movies... ? What cross over would it use ? Would there even be a cross over ?
Edit: Using this 'Pure Mode' Would be ideal... Is this using 80.3 ? If so, where do you select this ?
Another Edit: Doing additional search... Pure Audio seems to be 'Direct'.... and I re-tested... If I have a cross over... It does not appear to impact sound. I previously thought that audio below cross over would be eliminated... but it doesn't appear to be that way... So If I wanted to use my subs for movies.. and only mains for music... 'Direct' is the way to go...

Thanks for confirming that If I wanted to remove my subs (which I highly doubt), I don't have to worry about losing LFE signal.

Sorry, it's the Direct mode.

* Page 53: Note => Set the subwoofer to No and the front setting (main L & R speakers) is fixed @ Full Band. ...For Music (digital).
- MOVIES: But best to select Yes for the subwoofer...for movies...digital.

** Page 58: Direct --- Analog --- Subwoofer Off / On - MUSIC 2-channel stereo listening.
- Sound Program Edit
- Listening Mode
- Subwoofer

______

1. Set all your speakers with a crossover. And Yes for the subwoofer. ...For movies.
2. For stereo music listening toggle between digital and analog (select analog), and with that mode you have no Sub because that's what you have selected for the "Direct" listening mode when in analog domain with the Sub selected @ Off. ...Then your front main L & R speakers are now Full Band (full range).

Or, you can also select in the menu (as per page 53), Subwoofer to No, but it is annoying (for digital).
No, you want the analog connection for music listening, and for full range stereo music, without the sub,
just select No for the Analog Direct mode (page 58).

Last edited by NorthSky; 05-09-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: ____ clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 4368 Old 05-09-2015, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Sorry, it's the Direct mode.

* Page 53: Note => Set the subwoofer to No and the front setting (main L & R speakers) is fixed @ Full Band.

** Page 58: Direct --- Analog --- Subwoofer Off / On
- Sound Program Edit
- Listening Mode
- Subwoofer
You threw me off... Then after doing some additional research... figured you meant 'Direct' mode.

Thanks again!!

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #4353 of 4368 Old 05-09-2015, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Direct, Pure Audio, ...is the same in Integra parlance. ...Verisimilitude.
post #4354 of 4368 Old 05-10-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
You threw me off... Then after doing some additional research... figured you meant 'Direct' mode.

Thanks again!!
I have speakers that are effective down to 22hz and I still have them set as small. What kind of speakers are you getting?
post #4355 of 4368 Old 05-10-2015, 11:18 AM

I'm getting Sanders Sound M10d. They are hybrid electro stats With cone woofer. According to his specs, they go down to 20Hz... But he recomend's no to use subs because his woofer better integrates with electro stats....
post #4356 of 4368 Old 05-10-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm getting Sanders Sound M10d. They are hybrid electro stats With cone woofer. According to his specs, they go down to 20Hz... But he recomend's no to use subs because his woofer better integrates with electro stats....
I heard them at AXPONA. They were nice sounding in his setup.
post #4357 of 4368 Old 05-10-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Use Direct mode: Analog | Subwoofer Off ...For 2-channel stereo music listening.

* With movies, all your bass management will work accordingly to your speaker's settings, automatically, with your two subs engaged, and all your speakers crossed over @ wherever you selected them.

It's a perfect world, between Music & Movies.

Last edited by NorthSky; 05-10-2015 at 02:12 PM. Reason: *
post #4358 of 4368 Old 05-10-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Use Direct mode: Analog | Subwoofer Off ...For 2-channel stereo music listening.

* With movies, all your bass management will work accordingly to your speaker's settings, automatically, with your two subs engaged, and all your speakers crossed over @ wherever you selected them.

It's a perfect world, between Music & Movies.
Yes, Subwoofer is set to No in Direct mode... I don't hear my subs when in Direct mode...

Although I will try his suggestion of attempting to eliminate my subs... My gut will be that I will use Direct for music and will leave my subs and set a cross over for movies.

BTW, In Direct mode... does it apply Audyssey ?

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #4359 of 4368 Old 05-10-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

- In Direct mode there is No Audyssey EQ [From both Analog and Digital inputs]
- In Stereo mode there is Yes Audyssey EQ [Analog inputs included - Through A/D & D/A processing]
- From the Multichannel Analog Input there is No Audyssey EQ.

* Note: Most people prefer the benefit of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (engaged) over no Audyssey @ all (Direct mode - disengaged).
Experiment, and pick your preferred auditory music listening quality performance. No one room's acoustics is equal to another one, same for people's ears. ...It all depends.
post #4360 of 4368 Old 05-10-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
- In Direct mode there is No Audyssey EQ [From both Analog and Digital inputs]
- In Stereo mode there is Yes Audyssey EQ [Analog inputs included - Through A/D & D/A processing]
- From the Multichannel Analog Input there is No Audyssey EQ.

* Note: Most people prefer the benefit of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (engaged) over no Audyssey @ all (Direct mode - disengaged).
Experiment, and pick your preferred auditory music listening quality performance. No one room's acoustics is equal to another one, same for people's ears. ...It all depends.
That's why I asked... Because I noticed a difference in direct vs stereo... Besides subs not being included... Music definitely becomes more alive in stereo so I prefer Audyssey engaged...

One thing about speakers I'm getting... They are powered speakers and will have ability to do some EQ below 500Hz... Will be using a Behringer DCX2496 and will be able to apply EQ... Hopefully this will help in not applying Audyssey while in Direct mode.

Edit: BTW, I was able to verify that if I set no subs, LFE goes to my main L&R speakers... Remembered I had an audio calibration disk... and disk sends a .1 audio signal...

JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC

Last edited by spike9876; 05-10-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Additional info.
post #4361 of 4368 Old 05-10-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I also usually select the Stereo mode when listening to two-channel music recordings (with Audyssey engaged; it adds more "presence").
...Using the analog stereo connection, as well the digital coaxial one.

When selecting No for the Subwoofer from the Speaker's Menu settings; it automatically sets your two main front Left and Right speakers to Full Band.
And the bass from the other speakers selected as Small goes to them, plus the LFE (.1 channel) content, when present in some hybrid multichannel SACD music recordings.
...And every other mediums; Blu-ray, DVD, ...of the two flavors...Video and Audio, and everything else...streaming, downloading, music/movie files, etc.
...Hi-res, lo-res, tra-la-la, even All Channel Stereo from the Phono input.

Last edited by NorthSky; 05-10-2015 at 08:08 PM.
post #4362 of 4368 Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have posted this on the Integra/Onkyo warranty extension thread but I thought I would ask you guys here.
Does anyone know the answer to the question in "red" below.

I have owned the Integra DHC 80.3 pre amp since March 2012. The unit has performed perfectly in an open cabinet, with plenty of air circulation and I even added a fan that sits on top of the unit which blows air away from the top. The unit is always cool to the touch.

On Saturday, upon turning the unit on, I noticed it was taking longer than usual for audio/video to display on the screen. I kept seeing the unit's display showing "HDMI STAR UP" and it remained this way for about 9-12 seconds before it displays proper audio & video. After this long "boot up", let's call it that for now, everything works perfectly as usual.

Now, I have read enough to know that this may be a inevitable HDMI board failure, that has plagued many Onkyo/Integra units and owners here on AVS.

I do not want to do a factory reset (PITA) having to recalibrate set up everything again. Unless, someone knows if it is possible to save the settings, do the factory reset, and then re-apply the saved settings. Can someone confirm this??

I just wanted your thoughts on how to proceed, should I get a repair/work order started with Integra in case the unit finally dies or should I wait and try the reset first.

Thanks

5.1 Home Theatre
Pioneer 60" Kuro
Integra DHC 80.3 Pre Amp
Parasound Halo A51 5 Ch Amp
Speakers : Elac's FS-247's (L,C,R SR, SL)
Sub: Velodyne SPLR1000
post #4363 of 4368 Old 05-20-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

HDMI Hand-Shake Issue

Read ^ the entire thread (only 22 posts), and in particular post number 13 and also the other posts following it.

♦♦ Perform a Firmware Update ...if available...in case you don't have the latest one.
post #4364 of 4368 Old 05-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks north sky, I did read that thread already..... I will perform a FW update today ( I know I did not install the last one)....I will see what happens.

I'll post back tomorrow

Thanks

5.1 Home Theatre
Pioneer 60" Kuro
Integra DHC 80.3 Pre Amp
post #4365 of 4368 Old 05-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

^^ Well, I installed the latest FW last night and the problem still persists......this unit will have to be sent in for repair.

5.1 Home Theatre
Pioneer 60" Kuro
Integra DHC 80.3 Pre Amp
post #4366 of 4368 Old 05-22-2015, 04:48 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 54
So I may buy a 4K LCD in the next couple of months as I"m moving into a new house. Has there been any reviews of the 4k upscaling that the DHC-80.3 performs? Does it have a 4K pass-through setting at all? Just curious how best to utilize the 80.3 with the new set if I do go 4K.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #4367 of 4368 Unread Today, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm setting up a HT in a small room so the DHC-80.3 may be more than I need but I snapped one up that was sold as 'not working/for parts'. It starts out in setup mode, so I went through it and took out the setup mic. But the message to remove the mic remained and nothing would get it out of setup (other than plugging something into the headphones jack). So the detection of the setup mic is stuck, forcing the unit into setup mode, and changing the jack may solve the problem. Can someone with a service manual please look up the part number for the setup mic jack?
post #4368 of 4368 Unread Today, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M49r View Post
I'm setting up a HT in a small room so the DHC-80.3 may be more than I need but I snapped one up that was sold as 'not working/for parts'. It starts out in setup mode, so I went through it and took out the setup mic. But the message to remove the mic remained and nothing would get it out of setup (other than plugging something into the headphones jack). So the detection of the setup mic is stuck, forcing the unit into setup mode, and changing the jack may solve the problem. Can someone with a service manual please look up the part number for the setup mic jack?

You may have the HDMI/DSP board issue. Those are replaced for free even if you are out of warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page