Integra DHC-80.3 - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4411 of 4428 Old 12-05-2015, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
The day that you can apply Room EQ with DSD that'll be the day! ...Or maybe some machines can already, I don't know.
My Marantz SR7009 can. At any rate, its Info screen reports receiving a DSD bitstream and shows Audyssey being applied. Presumably it's downconverting DSD to LPCM internally. Current implementations of Audyssey also are known to be limited to 48K samples/second.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4428 Old 12-05-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 6325 Post(s)
Liked: 3049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
My Marantz SR7009 can. At any rate, its Info screen reports receiving a DSD bitstream and shows Audyssey being applied. Presumably it's downconverting DSD to LPCM internally. Current implementations of Audyssey also are known to be limited to 48K samples/second.
Hi Selden,

The Integra DHC-80.3 pre/pro shows the same in its front panel display window:
DSD - - - - 5.0
DSD

And the Audyssey logo light is On (activated). But! The DSD source (SACD) is converted and handled as PCM; it simply doesn't show it.

If you want straight DSD use the Pure Direct mode in your Marantz SR7009 receiver, without Audyssey.
{In Pure Direct - DSD mode the Audyssey logo light should automatically disappeared.}

And I know about the 48kHz limit of Audyssey. ...If you want higher sampling rate, go DIRAC.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison

Last edited by NorthSky; 12-05-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: { }
post #4413 of 4428 Old 01-01-2016, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is anyone else having the following problem with loud pops coming through the speakers?

I have a DirecTV HR24 connected to one of the HDMI inputs. When the TV broadcast switches between Dolby Digital 2.0 and Dolby Digital 5.1 (such as when going to a commercial in 2.0 and returning to the main program in 5.1) I sometimes get a loud pop through the speakers at the instant the bitstream format changes.

It has been doing this for a long time, so I don't know if this is a design defect or there is something wrong with my unit. I don't appear to be losing HDMI lock as the video is never interrupted. I have the latest firmware.

Thanks.
post #4414 of 4428 Old 01-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pliesj View Post
Is anyone else having the following problem with loud pops coming through the speakers?

I have a DirecTV HR24 connected to one of the HDMI inputs. When the TV broadcast switches between Dolby Digital 2.0 and Dolby Digital 5.1 (such as when going to a commercial in 2.0 and returning to the main program in 5.1) I sometimes get a loud pop through the speakers at the instant the bitstream format changes.

It has been doing this for a long time, so I don't know if this is a design defect or there is something wrong with my unit. I don't appear to be losing HDMI lock as the video is never interrupted. I have the latest firmware.

Thanks.

My DHC-80.3 responds to many switching events with a pop -- not loud at all, but still, audible.
More or less the same as my previous pre-pro (Integra Research RDC-7.1). Their Support told
me pops were a perfectly normal design artifact. While a truly poor design (and fairly easy to
circumvent), it didn't deter me from buying yet another Onkyo product. Just get used to it :-).

-- Ron
post #4415 of 4428 Old 01-02-2016, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12n View Post
My DHC-80.3 responds to many switching events with a pop -- not loud at all, but still, audible.
More or less the same as my previous pre-pro (Integra Research RDC-7.1). Their Support told
me pops were a perfectly normal design artifact. While a truly poor design (and fairly easy to
circumvent), it didn't deter me from buying yet another Onkyo product. Just get used to it :-).

-- Ron
I'm on my third 80.3 and they all have exhibited the same issue that you're speaking of with the popping in the speakers. That's why I returned my first one,the second one had the hdmi board go out, and my third is the factory refurb they swapped for my second one. I have tried different listening modes for mono, two channel source, etc under the set up menu and nothing has changed. I guess it's something I'll have to use to. I feel your pain.
post #4416 of 4428 Old 01-02-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12n View Post

-- Ron
I'm on my third 80.3 and they all have exhibited the same issue that you're speaking of with the popping in the speakers. That's why I returned my first one,the second one had the hdmi board go out, and my third is the factory refurb they swapped for my second one. I have tried different listening modes for mono, two channel source, etc under the set up menu and nothing has changed. I guess it's something I'll have to use to. I feel your pain.
post #4417 of 4428 Old 01-02-2016, 06:37 AM

dhc 80.3 popping noise

I forgot to mention I have learned through experimentation that the noise is only in the surround speakers and not the main fronts. I was using adcom Gfa 555 amps for my surround channels. I was informed that my amps were the cause of the popping noise, so I purchased a mcintosh mc 8207 and needless to say the noise still appears. I never had this issue with my adcom gtp 880 pre/pro but the integra piece is a whole different animal. Now I'm stuck with two adcom amps I can't use lol.
post #4418 of 4428 Old 01-07-2016, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
In the past no; my mains have decent bass with the type of music I usually like listening to; Classical Chamber, Jazz, Blues (primordially).

Today yes, both subs are active with only stereo music listening, and I crossed my mains @ 80Hz.
Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is also in the loop; the bass is well balanced, articulated, and the rest of the audio spectrum clear and present.
And the integrity of my speaker's imaging is not compromised. I verified that with Roger Waters' album; Amused to Death. ...Encoded in QSound.

* No Dynamic EQ though, ever!

I also use Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat - album for several etudes. ...In the smallest details, in clarity, imaging, bass definition, and the overall gel of the vocals presence with the music accompaniment. ...One of the audiophile's best.

I also like electronic music...Jean-Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream, Yello, Dead Can Dance, ...and New Age; Michael Stearns, etc.
The subs are well self-serving too with Bach classical organ music.

I experimented extensively, and with Audyssey engaged and disengaged. Eight mic measurements in a tight cluster worked best in my latest listening room. I spent a considerable amount of time to get my two subs in the ball park, balancing speaking.

Next year I am embarking on a new dimensional force; Dolby Atmos and DTS:X...and perhaps Auro-3D as well; just not there yet, few minor information is still needed for me to make that new elevated transition, and only time is the last remaining factor for those new sources of info.
Then the DHC-80.3 I can say goodbye and my brother will be happy.

We live @ a new threshold when it comes to sound immersion, and higher level of picture quality.
Now we just need more Mad Max: Fury Road type of flicks and newer well recorded/mixed multichannel music recordings...classical.
...And Pink Floyd type of music...The Wall live with Roger Waters. ...Yes.

But yes, even with smooth stereo jazz music from the ECM record label I appreciate my two subs being engaged in unison with XT32.
There is no substitute for what's most engaging when listening to stereo music, and with the natural recording ambiance captured magically and technically by the master recording/mixing studio/hall professional music recordist/engineer.

That's my opinion based on my experiments and listening sessions...mainly subjective with only very basic measurements with a laser, a tape measure and a rat shack SPL meter.

Happy trail towards Christmas 2015. ...All the love and peace from above the sky.
I have the Integra DHC-80.3 and I have an issue: when I put on DSD mode and listen SACD from my OPPO 95 or Sony SCD XA 5400ES if I stop the disc,open the tray, I heard a pop noise on my speakers.
Can anybody help me with that?

thanks
post #4419 of 4428 Old 01-07-2016, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorronj View Post
I have the Integra DHC-80.3 and I have an issue: when I put on DSD mode and listen SACD from my OPPO 95 or Sony SCD XA 5400ES if I stop the disc,open the tray, I heard a pop noise on my speakers.
Can anybody help me with that?

thanks
Try a different Listening Mode Preset. Like DSD, or PCM or Multich...from your Integra setup menu...for that particular source.
...And select one also for all your other sources...and don't leave any source with "Last Valid" selection.
{Pages 64-65 in your manual, and pages 39 to 43}

* I usually select the Listening Mode Preset of all my sources by the one which is the primary one. My Oppo BR player source I think...is set to Direct.
So if I play a SACD it will be in that mode and if I play a Blu-ray it will automatically play Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA from that Blu-ray disc.

And the audio selection you make in your Oppo Blu-ray player is also very important, for the HDMI Audio Out (Bitstream or LPCM).
...And SACD Output (DSD or PCM) ► This one you have to experiment with and listen to the one you prefer (not so easy to do).

But anyway, that's the way...select presets (listening modes) in your Integra for all your sources. Try the one(s) you mostly use.
[And if still a popping noise, try a different one...Multich - PCM - DSD - Direct ...]
And experiment in your Oppo BR player for the best audio output with both the digital HDMI audio out, and SACD output audio.

A small clicking sound is normal, but a pop-up noise from your speakers can be remedied by what I just mentioned above.

Keep in touch on how you're doing.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-07-2016 at 10:00 PM. Reason: source
post #4420 of 4428 Old 01-07-2016, 06:03 PM

I have set to Direct mode and still have the same issue and I like to listen SACD in DSD mode because the sound it's better than PCM, if I change the OPPO to PCM mode it solves the problem but the quality it's no the same.
The Sony SCD XA5400ES I can't change,I think it going automatically and I have this issue with both units
post #4421 of 4428 Old 01-07-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I have set to Direct mode and still have the same issue and I like to listen SACD in DSD mode because the sound it's better than PCM, if I change the OPPO to PCM mode it solves the problem but the quality it's no the same.
The Sony SCD XA5400ES I can't change,I think it going automatically and I have this issue with both units
I went to Audio Adjust, Direct, turn off the DSD Dac Direct and no more pop on the speakers
post #4422 of 4428 Old 01-07-2016, 10:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have set to Direct mode and still have the same issue and I like to listen SACD in DSD mode because the sound it's better than PCM,
if I change the OPPO to PCM mode it solves the problem but the quality it's no the same.
The Sony SCD XA5400ES I can't change, I think it going automatically and I have this issue with both units
♦ Ah! You have found the cause, with your Oppo 95.

Quote:
I went to Audio Adjust, Direct, turn off the DSD Dac Direct and no more pop on the speakers
♦ You eventually got there; I knew you would.

Happy music listening trail in 2016 ♪

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
post #4423 of 4428 Old 01-08-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your help.
I don't understand why I can't use DSD Dac, it's supposed to work without any issue right?
post #4424 of 4428 Old 01-08-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your help.
I don't understand why I can't use DSD Dac, it's supposed to work without any issue right?
post #4425 of 4428 Old 01-08-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thank you for your help.
I'm not sure; every Blu-ray player is different...the Oppo 95 and the 105 are certainly different when it comes to DSD.
Also, not all the pre/pros handle the DSD audio signals equally the same.

So that's why the settings in both the BR player and the pre/pro are important.

* I think the newest Oppo BR player models (103 and 105) are better in regards to the latest in DSD audio signals...but I am not 100% certain.

The main thing is this (with your 95): Use the setting that works best (no pop-up noises from your speakers).
And for more/much better info and clarification, contact Bob Pariseau (and few other members too) in the dedicated Oppo 95 thread.
They'll tell you much more than I can. ...And in combination with your Integra pre/pro. But the DHC-80.3 handles the DSD audio signals without issues...@ least from my Oppo 103 BR model. I use PCM for the SACD Output, and I don't have issues with the DSD selection either.
In either selection, when I eject a SACD disc and put another one in the player, I have no pop-up noise coming out of my speakers.

That's about all what I can share with you @ this moment. But best is to share your issue in the Oppo 95 thread where the experts are going to tell you exactly what you need to know.

Cheers,
Bob

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
post #4426 of 4428 Old 01-28-2016, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I recently got this unit and am very pleased. I have it running right now in auto mode so it will pick my cable box up without having to turn the whole surround sound on. I get a small hdmi logo that stays on constantly. Is there away to turn this off? Not sure if the display on the integra will burn out after a while.
post #4427 of 4428 Old 01-29-2016, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattnut View Post

Are you by chance using the Balanced outputs to the amp? I have an 80.2 and with my Proceed AMP5 the popping was so bad I'm sure it would destroy the speakers. Integra replaced twice and then gave me the choice to use RCA or get a refund. I have been using with RCA with no issues other than the annoying relay clicking with DirectTV.
post #4428 of 4428 Old 01-31-2016, 06:19 AM

dhc 80.3 popping noise

When I first purchased the 80.3 I was using the rca connections to my adcom amps. Now that I have the mcintosh I am using the balanced connections, no changes with the popping. However, as I mentioned in earlier posts the noise only appears in the surround speakers. Thanks for your advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page