4Likes

post #4471 of 4476 Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post
The purpose of the setting is to integrate your sub with the low end of your satellites. If you select 'bypass' it does not apply any sort of crossover to rolloff the LFE at the upper end of it's frequency range. It is for use with subwoofers that don't have a defeatable high pass crossover. If you have the crossover enabled on both the Integra and the sub, the rolloff will be too steep to integrate smoothly. If your sub's crossover is defeatable, it is best to disable it in your sub and let the Integra do all of the bass management.

AVGeek,

Thanks for your reply!!!

My Velo subs allow their internal low pass crossovers to be defeated but NOT the high pass.

High pass can only be set to either 80hz or 100hz.

On my Velo's I currently defeat their low pass crossovers and have high pass set at 100hz.

LPF of LFE on 80.3 is set at 120hz and crossover is set at 80hz for all speakers.

Based on this.............. should I leave things how they are?
Or is it better to bypass the LPF of LFE setting on the 80.3 due to it also being set on my Velo's at 100hz?

I guess at least setting LPF of LFE to 100hz won't make a difference as that is what it is on the subs..........is this right?

Last edited by linger63; 03-08-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 4476 Old 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
AVGeek,

Thanks for your reply!!!

My Velo subs allow their internal low pass crossovers to be defeated but NOT the high pass.

High pass can only be set to either 80hz or 100hz.

On my Velo's I currently defeat their low pass crossovers and have high pass set at 100hz.

LPF of LFE on 80.3 is set at 120hz and crossover is set at 80hz for all speakers.

Based on this.............. should I leave things how they are?
Or is it better to bypass the LPF of LFE setting on the 80.3 due to it also being set on my Velo's at 100hz?

I guess at least setting LPF of LFE to 100hz won't make a difference as that is what it is on the subs..........is this right?
I'm not an expert on crossovers, but the main thing is you wouldn't want to set both the sub and the Integra set at the same value. That would likely steepen the rolloff and you wouldn't get as much overlap between sub and sat. You should be safe either disabling the LPF on the Integra or leaving it at 120hz. The correct setting on the sub is really dependent on your sats. You have them crossed over at 80hz, but are they strong down to 80hz. What does Audessy setup say they should be set at? If Audessy recommends 80, then I'd leave the sub set at 100. If Audessy recommends lower than 80hz, then setting the sub to 80hz might be ok.

Would be best to test with a frequency sweep and mic. If you don't have one available then listen for some mid base bloat. If too much bloat then reduce the overlap between sub and sat.
linger63 likes this.

Sony XBR-75X940D -- Integra DHC 80.3 -- Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tribute Towers -- Paradigm Studio v5 CC590 --
Paradigm Studio v5 ADP590 (4) surrounds -- Cambridge Audio Azure 840W for Front R&L -- Onkyo TX-NR906 for Center and all Surrounds :( but it works --
Oppo UDP-203 -- Roku Ultra -- DirecTv HR54 DVR
post #4473 of 4476 Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
The coax digital is not needed if you have HDMI connected to the Integra, it should be removed from both the Oppo and the Integra. The Oppo may actually be defaulting to coax if it is present. All you need on the Oppo is to connect the HDMI audio out to HDMI 1 on the Integra

Here are the correct settings in the Integra set up menu to use:
  • In 1. Input/Output Assign, select 2. HDMI Input. Set BD/DVD to HDMI 1
  • Make sure the current input selected on the Integra is BD/DVD then go to the setup menu again and select 4. Source Setup, then select 6. Audio Selector and make sure HDMI is selected
This should then allow the audio to flow through the HDMI correctly.
Thanks again for the suggestions...finally got the issue resolved today and it appears to have been with the Oppo.

I finally contacted Oppo support to ask and they gave me a few troubleshooting things. While I was doing those, the 203 found a new FW to apply (it had been a week or so since I watched a disc or used the player). After updating the FW, I was able to get audio passed via HDMI to the Integra and listened to the first few minutes of the Hacksaw Ridge TrueHD soundtrack.

post #4474 of 4476 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhoop View Post
Thanks again for the suggestions...finally got the issue resolved today and it appears to have been with the Oppo.

I finally contacted Oppo support to ask and they gave me a few troubleshooting things. While I was doing those, the 203 found a new FW to apply (it had been a week or so since I watched a disc or used the player). After updating the FW, I was able to get audio passed via HDMI to the Integra and listened to the first few minutes of the Hacksaw Ridge TrueHD soundtrack.
I was following your post and hoping you got this fixed as I'm considering setting up my 4K the same way. I looked at the newer Integra's and they just don't look to be as good as the 80.3. Let us know after some time what you think.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #4475 of 4476 Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongig View Post
I was following your post and hoping you got this fixed as I'm considering setting up my 4K the same way. I looked at the newer Integra's and they just don't look to be as good as the 80.3. Let us know after some time what you think.
Not sure exactly what you're looking for but... I have an 80.3 and an Oppo-203. I have the main HDMI going to the TV for 4k HDR and the HDMI audio out going to my 80.3. I've not had a single issue related to that setup since I got the Oppo on Feb 10th. The sound "seems" better than with my previous OPPO-93, though I don't know how it could sound better, so might just be nothing. Either way, it works and sounds great, and I've had no issues.

If you're thinking of upgrading I personally would stay away from any new Integra product. I've had my 80.3 for 4 or 5 years now and it's been awesome. The sound is superb. But I am a true believer in high quality room correction. My theater has very poor accoustics. Aud MultEQ XT32 works wonders. Prior to Audessy I all but quit listening to music in my theater, but when I got the 80.3 that changed everything, it's unbelievable the difference it makes. When Integra dumped Audessy for their home grown room correction I was disappointed. I've not read good things about it at all, especially when it comes to music.

If I was going to upgrade I would go for either the Marantz 8802a or the Anthem AVM 60. But the only thing they would really give me that I'd be able to take advantage of is to run all the HDMI through them. I've got everything set up and working fine, Harmony is all programmed so everything is at the touch of a button.

Sony XBR-75X940D -- Integra DHC 80.3 -- Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tribute Towers -- Paradigm Studio v5 CC590 --
Paradigm Studio v5 ADP590 (4) surrounds -- Cambridge Audio Azure 840W for Front R&L -- Onkyo TX-NR906 for Center and all Surrounds :( but it works --
Oppo UDP-203 -- Roku Ultra -- DirecTv HR54 DVR
post #4476 of 4476 Old Today, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Not sure exactly what you're looking for but... I have an 80.3 and an Oppo-203. I have the main HDMI going to the TV for 4k HDR and the HDMI audio out going to my 80.3. I've not had a single issue related to that setup since I got the Oppo on Feb 10th. The sound "seems" better than with my previous OPPO-93, though I don't know how it could sound better, so might just be nothing. Either way, it works and sounds great, and I've had no issues.

If you're thinking of upgrading I personally would stay away from any new Integra product. I've had my 80.3 for 4 or 5 years now and it's been awesome. The sound is superb. But I am a true believer in high quality room correction. My theater has very poor accoustics. Aud MultEQ XT32 works wonders. Prior to Audessy I all but quit listening to music in my theater, but when I got the 80.3 that changed everything, it's unbelievable the difference it makes. When Integra dumped Audessy for their home grown room correction I was disappointed. I've not read good things about it at all, especially when it comes to music.

If I was going to upgrade I would go for either the Marantz 8802a or the Anthem AVM 60. But the only thing they would really give me that I'd be able to take advantage of is to run all the HDMI through them. I've got everything set up and working fine, Harmony is all programmed so everything is at the touch of a button.
You really just reiterated my thoughts. My 80.3 works now since the HDMI board was replaced and I'm happy with it. I'd like to upgrade to 4K and will do exactly as you've done. I personally think it's strange that Integra has for the most part ruined the line of pre-pros. I've had a few since my original 9.8 and have been happy except for the HDMI board.

I'm considering purchasing the Samsung 75 inch SUHD and a new 4K bluray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page