post #451 of 4290 Old 12-16-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

A long shot but you have nothing to lose by trying it - do a factory reset before you attempt the update. Some people routinely do a reset *after* an update as well.

RESET Onkyo to Factory

To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down the [VCR/DVR] button, press the [ON/STANDBY] button. "Clear" will appear on the display and the AV receiver will enter Standby mode.

I actually did that 2 times and it never worked. I unplugged it over night and tried it today using the usb and success! Ran my audyssey and she's rocking out as we speak!. I REALLY wish that the front hdmi, rcas on the right side had a little cover to cover them up. They look very cheap and ugly on an already fat sister kinda look in the first place.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4290 Old 12-16-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Now that was funny! ^^^

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #453 of 4290 Old 12-17-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness77 View Post

I think that happens because VOD (at least my Comcast) is not HD either.
Try checking out your settings on the Sharp LCD TV. See if there is a way to set the color space, that may solve it.

There is no color space settings that i found in the menu of my TV.
What seemed to fix the issue though was setting the Resolution to Through on the 80.3.

Main Menu:
1. Input/Output Assign
1. Monitor out
Resolution
Through
post #454 of 4290 Old 12-18-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

I have owned a 9.8, 80.1 and 80.2, hearing improvements with each upgrade, especially with the 80.2. I have no plans for an 80.3, because I doubt it will sound significantly different. It's mainly about features.

After I got my 80.1, I took my 9.8 to the home of a noted recording critic to demo and compare to his setup. At the time, it was an Audio Research analog controller fed by an Esoteric Mch SACD/CD player. I wanted to demonstrate to him the potential improvement a digital controller plus DSP-EQ could bring to his system. Fed by an Oppo BDP-83 via HDMI and using an Audyssey Pro calibration, the 9.8 simply blew his setup away. It did not take him 5 minutes of listening for him to decide to upgrade. At my suggestion, he got an Anthem D2V plus an Oppo. The reason was I thought the analog inputs on the 9.8 would not satisfy him, and he still listened to a fair bit of vinyl. So, I recommended a D2V, which was superior on analog. The rest of the system was very high quality with Wilson Watt/Puppies and Duettas, all with Pass Labs amplification.

After he got the D2V set up, he, another D2V owner and I came back to help him tweek his calibration and setup. I brought the previously calibrated 9.8 back with me. We listened to the tweeked D2V against the 9.8 and none of us could hear a significant difference on hi rez Mch SACD. They were essentially indistinguishable, somewhat to the chagrin of both D2V owners. But, that was their honest opinion.

I have not repeated the comparison to the the D2V with my newer units, but It is quite clear that my current 80.2 sounds significantly better than the 9.8 did on hi rez Mch music. I will leave you to extrapolate what that might mean vs. the D2V. I was able to A-B compare the 9.8, 80.1 and 80.2 in my own system.

I think Kal's review of the 80.2 makes it clear that it now sounds much better than its predecessors on the analog inputs. I, myself, do not know or care because I no longer listen via the analog inputs, or to stereo, for that matter. Hi rez, discrete Mch is all I listen to.

As to Audyssey vs. ARC, I think Audyssey has the edge in many ways, expecially XT/32. Pro enhances that difference, though it it is not day/night better than stock. It's more of a refinement over stock. But, I think for critical music listening, Pro is highly recommended, especially the ability to eliminate the 2K "midrange compensation" dip in the stock target curve. It sounds more true to life to me without the dip.

I have not recently heard a Classe, McIntosh, Meridian or Krell. We know Kal prefers the Meridian above the others based on extensive listening. But, he nontheless, puts the 80.2 on his Class A recommended list along with those much pricier units. It's the real bargain among high end processors. To a heavy classical music listener and active concert goer like me, I am as happy as I could ever have imagined with my sound right now after decades of searching for a satisfying approximation of live concert hall sound.

For SACD, if you were to use DSD only, the humble Oppo DV-980H will serve you very well.

I have a DHC-9.9 in the basement right now and my greatest dilemma is whether to stay DSD and upgrade to the DHC-80.3 or move to player decoding and get a BDP-95. I think that the right move would be the DHC-80.3, the DTR-70.3 i put in the living room just makes me want to keep listening to classical even when streamed from a humble Roku M2000 and then all the bells and whistles

My system:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #455 of 4290 Old 12-18-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

80.3 all the way!!!

post #456 of 4290 Old 12-18-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

For SACD, if you were to use DSD only, the humble Oppo DV-980H will serve you very well.

I have a DHC-9.9 in the basement right now and my greatest dilemma is whether to stay DSD and upgrade to the DHC-80.3 or move to player decoding and get a BDP-95. I think that the right move would be the DHC-80.3, the DTR-70.3 i put in the living room just makes me want to keep listening to classical even when streamed from a humble Roku M2000 and then all the bells and whistles

I am not totally clear on whether you use the 980 with DSD via analog or via HDMI. I do believe that bitstreaming DSD into an Integra via HDMI sounds considerably better than PCM converted by the player.

My 980 is now doing DVD-only duty in the bedroom because first a BDP-83 then a 93 displaced it. It did serve me very well, but the 83 did sound noticeably better than the 980 on SACD via HDMI. I have not done an in-depth comparison of the 83 vs. 93, but I got the 93 because of video streaming and the eSata port used with a high-capacity hard drive, but not with SACD, of course. I have not perceived a big difference on SACD between the 83 and 93, otherwise, via HDMI.

As far as analog out of a 980, 83 or 93 is concerned via pure DSD-analog, they are distinctly inferior to my ears vs. HDMI into the Integra. I have tried this. Not only that, but pure DSD allows for no Mch speaker distance correction, no bass management and no Audyssey. So, pure DSD would be a major downgrade to my sound. Even in stereo, I hear no advantage to it, only major disadvantage. I seriously doubt that the DACs's in an Oppo 95 would change that.

It's kind of crazy, in my view, to use an Integra as only an analog volume control. I doubt it is as good in that regard as a Parasound P7, which is pure analog and slightly cheaper than an 80.3. The Integras are digital controllers first and foremost, and most of their cost goes into their digital capabilities and features, like DSP and Audyssey. Analog may be decent on the Integra, but you are bypassing most of what you paid for.

I have heard other pure-DSD systems. One in Boston used an EMM Meitner player DAC - about as good as it gets - with Parasound JC-1 amps an 5 huge Sound Labs full range electrostats in a treated room. It was very good sounding, but only slightly better in a few ways than mine. I would not trade my sound for that, even ignoring the huge cost difference. The bass, in particular, was distinctly inferior to my Audyssey Pro-EQ'ed bass with XT/32. Other pure DSD systems I have heard have just not measured up. It was not close.

But, it's your choice. Personally, I think analog is a step backwards.
post #457 of 4290 Old 12-18-2011, 05:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I am not totally clear on whether you use the 980 with DSD via analog or via HDMI. I do believe that bitstreaming DSD into an Integra via HDMI sounds considerably better than PCM converted by the player.

My 980 is now doing DVD-only duty in the bedroom because first a BDP-83 then a 93 displaced it. It did serve me very well, but the 83 did sound noticeably better than the 980 on SACD via HDMI. I have not done an in-depth comparison of the 83 vs. 93, but I got the 93 because of video streaming and the eSata port used with a high-capacity hard drive, but not with SACD, of course. I have not perceived a big difference on SACD between the 83 and 93, otherwise, via HDMI.

As far as analog out of a 980, 83 or 93 is concerned via pure DSD-analog, they are distinctly inferior to my ears vs. HDMI into the Integra. I have tried this. Not only that, but pure DSD allows for no Mch speaker distance correction, no bass management and no Audyssey. So, pure DSD would be a major downgrade to my sound. Even in stereo, I hear no advantage to it, only major disadvantage. I seriously doubt that the DACs's in an Oppo 95 would change that.

It's kind of crazy, in my view, to use an Integra as only an analog volume control. I doubt it is as good in that regard as a Parasound P7, which is pure analog and slightly cheaper than an 80.3. The Integras are digital controllers first and foremost, and most of their cost goes into their digital capabilities and features, like DSP and Audyssey. Analog may be decent on the Integra, but you are bypassing most of what you paid for.

I have heard other pure-DSD systems. One in Boston used an EMM Meitner player DAC - about as good as it gets - with Parasound JC-1 amps an 5 huge Sound Labs full range electrostats in a treated room. It was very good sounding, but only slightly better in a few ways than mine. I would not trade my sound for that, even ignoring the huge cost difference. The bass, in particular, was distinctly inferior to my Audyssey Pro-EQ'ed bass with XT/32. Other pure DSD systems I have heard have just not measured up. It was not close.

But, it's your choice. Personally, I think analog is a step backwards.

My exact thoughts, and trust me DSD only from the 980H which i treat strictly as a DSD transport, but Kal Rubinson and others make an argument that if the in-player DACs are better, such as with an SCD-XA5400ES or BDP-95 (superior per Kal), then one should choose the 6 analog cables.

I could never muster the nerve to cough up the dough for a $1000 SACD player between the PJ and processor upgrades, but by now my collection has over 600 titles and i am looking at novel ways to spice up my listening experience.

My system:
post #458 of 4290 Old 12-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

My exact thoughts, and trust me DSD only from the 980H which i treat strictly as a DSD transport, but Kal Rubinson and others make an argument that if the in-player DACs are better, such as with an SCD-XA5400ES or BDP-95 (superior per Kal), then one should choose the 6 analog cables.

I could never muster the nerve to cough up the dough for a $1000 SACD player between the PJ and processor upgrades, but by now my collection has over 600 titles and i am looking at novel ways to spice up my listening experience.

There's no way that the DACs can be good enough to make me use analog bypass and lose Audyssey room correction. IMO.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #459 of 4290 Old 12-18-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Agreed. ^

post #460 of 4290 Old 12-18-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just got my 80.3 last week. Wondering how everyone's noise floor is. When I'm in multi channel and all channels get signal I get pretty much silence when I turn down the volume or stop the source material. BUT in stereo the noise from the centers and surrounds is pretty loud when they don't get signal or even with the volume turned down. Hit the Dolby PLII and if I turn down the volume the noise floor disappears. Seems odd. I don't think it's a ground loop thing since it's not consistent. Anyone? I guess I can just turn off my 3 channel amp that goes to the center and surrounds but like to not have to get off the couch.
post #461 of 4290 Old 12-18-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post

Just got my 80.3 last week. Wondering how everyone's noise floor is. When I'm in multi channel and all channels get signal I get pretty much silence when I turn down the volume or stop the source material. BUT in stereo the noise from the centers and surrounds is pretty loud when they don't get signal or even with the volume turned down. Hit the Dolby PLII and if I turn down the volume the noise floor disappears. Seems odd. I don't think it's a ground loop thing since it's not consistent. Anyone? I guess I can just turn off my 3 channel amp that goes to the center and surrounds but like to not have to get off the couch.

I have mine connected with xlr's and 101db sensitive JTR speakers and there is no a peep to be heard. Runnin 2 red dragon 1000 watt mono's and a emotiva xpa-5.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #462 of 4290 Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 PM

Liked: 12
Here's a question that seems to tie into the current discussion within this topic:

I currently listen to 5.1 surround DVD-A's and SACDs on my Oppo BDP-83 connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR 4308 (which I use as a Pre/Pro). I would like to upgrade, and I'm trying to figure out where the money should be spent first.

So should my next upgrade be to the BDP-95 and use the analog outs to the Denon, or would I be better off upgrading the Denon AVR to something like the Integra 80.3?

I guess it comes down to what will create a more noticeable improvement in sound quality: superior DACs (as found in the BDP-95) or superior Audyssey XT32 room correction (as found in the Integra 80.3)?
post #463 of 4290 Old 12-18-2011, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm... that's the thing, at times it'll dead silent then at others there is low level static. I'll need to mess around with things a bit more then.
post #464 of 4290 Old 12-18-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Another quick question that I couldn't find with a search. Has anyone been able to connect to the remote servers and program the remote. Every time I try it says cannot connect. Couldn't do it for the sony pj or the oppo bdp 83.
post #465 of 4290 Old 12-19-2011, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:

Another quick question that I couldn't find with a search. Has anyone been able to connect to the remote servers and program the remote. Every time I try it says cannot connect. Couldn't do it for the sony pj or the oppo bdp 83.

I've had no issues with my Onkyo 5009.
post #466 of 4290 Old 12-19-2011, 01:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post

here's a question that seems to tie into the current discussion within this topic:

I currently listen to 5.1 surround dvd-a's and sacds on my oppo bdp-83 connected via hdmi to my denon avr 4308 (which i use as a pre/pro). I would like to upgrade, and i'm trying to figure out where the money should be spent first.

So should my next upgrade be to the bdp-95 and use the analog outs to the denon, or would i be better off upgrading the denon avr to something like the integra 80.3?

I guess it comes down to what will create a more noticeable improvement in sound quality: Superior dacs (as found in the bdp-95) or superior audyssey xt32 room correction (as found in the integra 80.3)?

xt32.

post #467 of 4290 Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We do seem to agree that Kal's are the most definitive and honest opinions on Mch musical sound. But, you are misreading Kal's opinion. Kal are you around to set this guy straight? Kal prefers HDMI plus DSP EQ and other DSP features in his own systems, which is basically what I am saying.
post #468 of 4290 Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post

Here's a question that seems to tie into the current discussion within this topic:

I currently listen to 5.1 surround DVD-A's and SACDs on my Oppo BDP-83 connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR 4308 (which I use as a Pre/Pro). I would like to upgrade, and I'm trying to figure out where the money should be spent first.

So should my next upgrade be to the BDP-95 and use the analog outs to the Denon, or would I be better off upgrading the Denon AVR to something like the Integra 80.3?

I guess it comes down to what will create a more noticeable improvement in sound quality: superior DACs (as found in the BDP-95) or superior Audyssey XT32 room correction (as found in the Integra 80.3)?

Just to reiterate my position, I do not believe there is any way that an Oppo 95 via analog into even the finest analog controller will be superior to HDMI from an 83 into an 80.3 with XT/32 and a Pro calibration. If you want an upgrade, spend that money on Audyssey Pro for the 80.3 instead. Even an analog-based system costing 2-3X my own using a $20K EMM Meitner player/DAC was not convincingly better to my ears.

But, you could certainly try a 95 for yourself under Oppo's 30-day return policy.Shipping is not that expensive.
post #469 of 4290 Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
AndyN:

I had the same thing. never heard anything withmy M&K's with the 80.3 but when I hooked up the JTR 12's than I heard background noise (not really humm or hiss but combo). When I hooked up the calibration mic I got some sort of feedback that wasnt there with the M&K's. I ordered 7 xlr cables and hooked them up yesterday and all noise (including mic feedback) is now gone. Try this if you can (I spend under 40 bucks for the xlrs)

Fitzcaraldo:

The 80.3 can use audessy pro calibration. I thought earlier on in this thread that we were waiting on audessey. If I ordered an audessy pro kit I can use it on my 80.3?

Final Thing:

I was wondering when I run calibration and audessy is done. Has it set my volume 0 to reference (75 or 85) or is the 0 wherever it falls out to be (maybe 72 db for me and 87 db for someone else with different equipment)

thanks

ps. JOEROD you said those who use the sub hdmi out would benefit from the upgrade. I am using both hdmi outs (1 to monitor 1 to projector) how would this upgrade benefit me?
post #470 of 4290 Old 12-19-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete12 View Post

AndyN:

I had the same thing. never heard anything withmy M&K's with the 80.3 but when I hooked up the JTR 12's than I heard background noise (not really humm or hiss but combo). When I hooked up the calibration mic I got some sort of feedback that wasnt there with the M&K's. I ordered 7 xlr cables and hooked them up yesterday and all noise (including mic feedback) is now gone. Try this if you can (I spend under 40 bucks for the xlrs)

Fitzcaraldo:

The 80.3 can use audessy pro calibration. I thought earlier on in this thread that we were waiting on audessey. If I ordered an audessy pro kit I can use it on my 80.3?

Final Thing:

I was wondering when I run calibration and audessy is done. Has it set my volume 0 to reference (75 or 85) or is the 0 wherever it falls out to be (maybe 72 db for me and 87 db for someone else with different equipment)

thanks

ps. JOEROD you said those who use the sub hdmi out would benefit from the upgrade. I am using both hdmi outs (1 to monitor 1 to projector) how would this upgrade benefit me?

I do not know if Audyssey Pro is up yet on the 80.3. If not, it is only a matter of time before it is. I have an 80.2, myself, and I use Pro with it, as I have with my 80.1 and 9.8.

Yes, your volume 0 reference is set by the calibration using the channel by channel level settings.
post #471 of 4290 Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I did not say that although many do make that argument.

Quote:

Kal prefers HDMI plus DSP EQ and other DSP features in his own systems, which is basically what I am saying.

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

There's no way that the DACs can be good enough to make me use analog bypass and lose Audyssey room correction. IMO.

IMO, too.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #472 of 4290 Old 12-19-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I do not know if Audyssey Pro is up yet on the 80.3. If not, it is only a matter of time before it is.

January, according to Audyssey.

post #473 of 4290 Old 12-19-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete12 View Post

AndyN:

Thanks drpete. I actually didn't notice any hiss on my fronts but I thought that was because they always had a signal. Perhaps, it's because I run them balanced. I'll give it try. thanks.

Andy
post #474 of 4290 Old 12-19-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

January, according to Audyssey.

Oh yeah.

post #475 of 4290 Old 12-20-2011, 02:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Theresa, I can't find the post of yours that this reply is intended to serve, nor even know what thread it was in. You said somewhere that Dolby Digital sounded 'harsh' to you as compared with DTS or one of the HD codecs.

What I was going to say before I lost your post is have you tried using one of the DSPs over the DD? I have heard some say that when they use a THX mode it can soften any slight harshness caused by a particular amp/speaker/source combination. It's worth a try as it's easy and free - try THX Cinema or THX Music (for music sources of course). One note of caution: Chris Kyriakakis advises to switch the Audyssey curve to 'Music' (from 'Movie') when using any THX mode in order to bring the THX curve back to where it is meant to be. Worth a try if you haven't already.

post #476 of 4290 Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Good advice, I'll try that. Yes, DD sounds harsh in comparison to higher bit rate sources, even DTS. Nothing is quite as bad as Netflix on a PC though. There are a lot of options that I haven't tried yet.
post #477 of 4290 Old 12-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:

I had the same problem, it wouldn't connect to the remote server. I had to manually program the code for my Sharp TV
post #478 of 4290 Old 12-20-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

That's been the biggest downer I've had with the 80.3. Hard time updating via network and can't connect to the remote server. I can get Pandora so I know it's connected to the network and the port is working. Guess I'll just pick up a Harmony 1100 or a One.
post #479 of 4290 Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

That's been the biggest downer I've had with the 80.3. Hard time updating via network and can't connect to the remote server. I can get Pandora so I know it's connected to the network and the port is working. Guess I'll just pick up a Harmony 1100 or a One.

The one is more convenient
post #480 of 4290 Old 12-21-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:

I have the Harmony 700 which shouldn't be much different from the One, and I hate it. I used to have the Chad Integra remote that I got used to, unfortunatly I sold it with my old pre/pro when I got the 80.3.
I'm still looking for a good one, maybe leaning towards IRule.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page