Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #481 of 4277 Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I'm really liking my 80.3. The xt32 makes a nice difference! I just wish the front wasn't so butt ugly lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 4277 Old 12-22-2011, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone pm with a good dealer where I purchase one and have it shipped to me in canada? Thanks
post #483 of 4277 Old 12-22-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerial1230 View Post

Can someone pm with a good dealer where I purchase one and have it shipped to me in canada? Thanks

Dealers are not supposed to ship out of their dealer area. You'll have to find someone in your area who's a dealer.

post #484 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 03:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Dealers are not supposed to ship out of their dealer area. You'll have to find someone in your area who's a dealer.

An interesting sidelight on the unavailability of the Onkyo 5509 in the US. If the Onkyo was available in North America, he could order one from anywhere he liked, at the best price he could find. I hate these these restrictive practices that are designed to serve the interests of the retailer not the consumer. I'd suggest he tried to find a 5508 unless there is some specific feature of the 80.3/5509 he needs.
post #485 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
+1
The 5508 is not lacking in any area as far as I'm concerned.
post #486 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 05:30 AM

Hey guys, I got a problem. I bought the Integra 70.3 today and just can't seem to get through the audyssey calibration. My setup is only 5.1. I have front right and left tower speakers, centre speaker and rear right and left speakers. But in the Integra I can't seem to set the rear speakers without having sorround speakers set also (which I don't have). And therefor each time I try to celebrate in the End I get error. Does anyone know what should I do?
post #487 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

+1
The 5508 is not lacking in any area as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. I have the 5509 but would have been just as happy with the 5508. There isn’t really anything in the 5509 that, for me, warrants paying more than a 5508 might cost.

EDIT: I just remembered the dreaded IDE cable problem that many (all?) 5508s seem to suffer from. I am hoping that that problem will have been fixed in the 5509 and that may be sufficient reason for someone to want a 5509 over a 5508.
post #488 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanuel View Post

Hey guys, I got a problem. I bought the Integra 70.3 today and just can't seem to get through the audyssey calibration. My setup is only 5.1. I have front right and left tower speakers, centre speaker and rear right and left speakers. But in the Integra I can't seem to set the rear speakers without having sorround speakers set also (which I don't have). And therefor each time I try to celebrate in the End I get error. Does anyone know what should I do?

?? What does the part I have highlighted in bold mean? In a 5.1 system you have front right, front left, centre, right surround and left surround channels (plus a sub). You are correct that you cannot use surround back left and surround back right speakers unless you have surround left and surround right speakers. I suspect you have mistakenly connected the surround speakers to the surround back channels. For the avoidance of doubt, in a 5.1 system the speakers that are not the ones at the front are surround speakers and they are positioned to the left and right of your seating position at an angle of between 90 and 110 degrees (i.e. the speakers are lined up with your shoulders or slightly to the rear of them). Surround back speakers go on the wall (usually) at the back of the listening room.

If I suspect right, you need to rewire the surrounds and ignore the surround backs altogether as you don't have them.
post #489 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's probably the best typo I have ever seen!
post #490 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

An interesting sidelight on the unavailability of the Onkyo 5509 in the US. If the Onkyo was available in North America, he could order one from anywhere he liked, at the best price he could find. I hate these these restrictive practices that are designed to serve the interests of the retailer not the consumer. I'd suggest he tried to find a 5508 unless there is some specific feature of the 80.3/5509 he needs.

I agree it's pretty stupid not to be able to ship out of your area. I probably would have went for the 5508 if it wasn't still close to $1700 CDN to get one. I do like the extra year of warranty of the integra but I would have bought a 5509 before the 80.3 if it was available. But whatcha gonna do right? lol

post #491 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

I agree it's pretty stupid not to be able to ship out of your area. I probably would have went for the 5508 if it wasn't still close to $1700 CDN to get one. lol

was that a recent quote you got shipped to Canada ?
- did not think there would be any still availaible

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #492 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

was that a recent quote you got shipped to Canada ?
- did not think there would be any still availaible

no that was from the local dealer "Brian Reimer Audio" here in Winnipeg. You can find them online for around $1300-$1700. I just figured I should go with what's newest.

post #493 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

no that was from the local dealer "Brian Reimer Audio" here in Winnipeg. You can find them online for around $1300-$1700. I just figured I should go with what's newest.

There are try few differences between the 5509/80.3 and the 5508. Check out the specs and see if they are important to you. If not, I'd go with a 5508, especially for $1300.
post #494 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I already bought the 80.3 a while ago lol. I'm not strapped for cash, so I just bought the newest

post #495 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 07:44 PM

Kbarnes701: thank You for Your reply. I thought that those sorrounds were extra as when I looked at the positioning on integra's speaker map on the tv the place where I have my sorround speakers seemed closer to the once shown as rear sorrounds. Also my dealers delivery guy plugged them as that. But I changed it like You said and seems to be ok now. But I have another problem. My two front tower speakers are plugged into my Nad stereo amp which is plugged through it's aux into the Integra. So that I can be using it's power for the front speakers. But I'm getting a really week and distorted sound from them compare to the rest. I turned the volume knob at the back of the amp (Nad) for the pre out 2 all the way up which seemed to make it better but still it isn't great. Would You know where should it be plugged into on the Integra or is there anything in the settings there I need to do?
Thanks for all the help.
Oh, and when I realised the typo You pointed out, couldn't stop laughing. Sometimes my phone has a mind of it's on.
Merry Christmas everyone!
post #496 of 4277 Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Mind of it's own))
post #497 of 4277 Old 12-24-2011, 03:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Kbarnes701: thank You for Your reply. I thought that those sorrounds were extra as when I looked at the positioning on integra's speaker map on the tv the place where I have my sorround speakers seemed closer to the once shown as rear sorrounds. Also my dealers delivery guy plugged them as that. But I changed it like You said and seems to be ok now. But I have another problem. My two front tower speakers are plugged into my Nad stereo amp which is plugged through it's aux into the Integra. So that I can be using it's power for the front speakers. But I'm getting a really week and distorted sound from them compare to the rest. I turned the volume knob at the back of the amp (Nad) for the pre out 2 all the way up which seemed to make it better but still it isn't great. Would You know where should it be plugged into on the Integra or is there anything in the settings there I need to do?

I don't think you can set it up that way. Are you trying to use the Nad as a power amp? I'm not sure you can use the Nad as a power amp like that. I am not familiar with Nad but it would have to have suitable inputs for the left and right preouts on the 80.3 and I don't know of any AVR or stereo amp that can do that. You'd have to look at the Nad manual and see if it can be configured for use as a power amp. You seem to be confused by what the Integra is meant to do. You can only plug SOURCES such as a DVD player or a Cable TV box into the Integra - you can't plug a stereo amp into it. If you want to use the Nad as a power amp then it will need to be able to accept the output from the Integra and will need some way to separate its pre-amp and power amp functions.

What amplification are you using with the 80.3? The usual way of connecting an 80.3 would be to take the outputs for front right, front left, centre, surround right, surround left (and surround back and Height/Wide channels if you have them, which you don't) and connect them to the appropriate inputs on one or more external power amps. The front right and left tower speakers would be powered by an external two channel amp or by two channels of a multichannel power amp. Please tell me how you have yours connected.

Quote:

Thanks for all the help.
Oh, and when I realised the typo You pointed out, couldn't stop laughing. Sometimes my phone has a mind of it's on.

You will be celebrating when you finally get the 80.3 hooked up properly though!
post #498 of 4277 Old 12-24-2011, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks for all the help.

When I first got into the audio habit I used to use a Denon receiver as an amp until I upgraded to separate amps. What NAD piece do you have? Since you mentioned you connected things to a AUX input I'm guessing you have a receiver and not an amp. I looked up some old NAD stereo receivers and noticed that some had MAIN IN inputs. Though it was next to a PRE OUT output and the PRE OUT and MAIN IN were capped with some U shaped pin. I believe what you want to do is NOT plug into the AUX input but into the MAIN IN input. This way I believe it bypasses all processing and just uses the amplifier portion of your receiver. Just a guess. This is how I think I did it with my old Denon.

Andy
post #499 of 4277 Old 12-24-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by op76 View Post

I have the Harmony 700 which shouldn't be much different from the One, and I hate it. I used to have the Chad Integra remote that I got used to, unfortunatly I sold it with my old pre/pro when I got the 80.3.
I'm still looking for a good one, maybe leaning towards IRule.

I looked at IRule as well but from what I gather I would have had to buy wifi to IR boxes. Didn't want to deal with adding small boxes. I just replaced my very well loved EAD Signature 8 preamp processor with the Integra and got to get rid of HDMI switches, analog switches, component video switches, and a bunch of splitters so I didn't want to add another box. PLUS I couldn't find how I could control via RF as they advertised. Didn't see another box. If the iPad had IR that would have been perfect. I just went ahead with the Harmony 1100. I know it's not the best out there but I always wanted something with a bigger touchscreen (iPad would have been perfect) and I'd only use if when we watched movies on the PJ.

Quote:

I'm really liking my 80.3. The xt32 makes a nice difference! I just wish the front wasn't so butt ugly lol

True true. I wish it was a much simpler face. No need for all the "ad's" and why so bulbous? Having said that, though I loved the sound of my old EAD unit (still think in some ways it sounds better than the Integra "at the speaker") I am amazed at what xt32 does. Multichannel music is now so balanced and just sounds right. With the EAD I'd love the sounds coming from the individual speakers but I could tell which speaker they were coming from. Now the speakers seem to disappear more. Everything is so cohesive. Very very nice. Special thanks to Kal for his time with the 80.2.
post #500 of 4277 Old 12-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 131
iRule can control equipment via IP if the capability is there (in the equipment). I think Integra/Onk is controllable via IP, and IR is not needed.
post #501 of 4277 Old 12-24-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I think Integra/Onk is controllable via IP, and IR is not needed.

They can. Look at oRemote for an example. .

And it's great looking in the iPad.
post #502 of 4277 Old 12-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Ya, I agree oRemote works good and I also have the Integra remote control app. The oRemote app has more functions and can select surround sound settings instantly without scrolling through all the other DTS, Dolby, Stereo ......... that u need to go through to get to the one you want.
post #503 of 4277 Old 12-25-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Well finally got everything hooked up with the new remote and connected to both the TV and the PJ. Unfortunately just discovered that I may have a dead HDMI MAIN OUT. I had hooked everything up and had the PJ connected via Main Out and TV via SUB OUT. Just so happened everything seemed to work. Today in an effort to calibrate the PJ with the Integra in the mix I didn't my processor didn't get any signal from the Integra. Monitor out was already set to BOTH (even tried BOTH (MAIN), BOTH (SUB), HDMI MAIN, and HDMI sub). Tried flip flopping the HDMI cables and the PJ lit up when plugged into the HDMI SUB OUT but TV went blank. So unless there is a secret setting somewhere that enables HDMI MAIN OUT the Integra is already heading out of the system after 1 week. For those using dual HDMI outs is it really just set to BOTH and plug and play?

Thanks

Andy
post #504 of 4277 Old 12-25-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post

Well finally got everything hooked up with the new remote and connected to both the TV and the PJ. Unfortunately just discovered that I may have a dead HDMI MAIN OUT. I had hooked everything up and had the PJ connected via Main Out and TV via SUB OUT. Just so happened everything seemed to work. Today in an effort to calibrate the PJ with the Integra in the mix I didn't my processor didn't get any signal from the Integra. Monitor out was already set to BOTH (even tried BOTH (MAIN), BOTH (SUB), HDMI MAIN, and HDMI sub). Tried flip flopping the HDMI cables and the PJ lit up when plugged into the HDMI SUB OUT but TV went blank. So unless there is a secret setting somewhere that enables HDMI MAIN OUT the Integra is already heading out of the system after 1 week. For those using dual HDMI outs is it really just set to BOTH and plug and play?

Thanks

Andy

Andy. Have you updated the firmware?

My HDMI died on the first attempt where it failed (5009)

A master reset might be in the works before returning. Good luck.
post #505 of 4277 Old 12-25-2011, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Ya you have to do a reset and the HDMI's will work again. Mine did the same thing.
Simple fix and you'll be up and running

post #506 of 4277 Old 12-25-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Will give it a shot. Thanks guys. I have updated the firmware. I assume that means that I should re-run Audyssey as well?

By the way, great owners thread. Recently most are filled with non owners blowing it up. Thanks again.
post #507 of 4277 Old 12-25-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys but no go. Still kaput. Back in the box it goes.
post #508 of 4277 Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 AM

Does anyone use the Integra'a capability for playing SACD's using DSD-> analog?

If so, please explain the sonic improvements/benifits you have actually heard over DSD->PCM.

Also, if there is an improvement, does using DSD->analog offset the loss of room correction mode?

I have yet to see a actual review that discusses the actual sonic improvement this feature offers.

My Pioneer SC37 will play SACD in DSD->PCM mode only.
post #509 of 4277 Old 12-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Generally, from what I've read, streaming DSD to the 80.3, it's immediate predecessor and sister Onkyo units, is better than converting in the player. The only possible exception might be if you have a very high player with superdooper DACs, and sending 6-ch analog to the pre/pro. But then you lose Audyssey processing. Soooo, stream it and forget it.
post #510 of 4277 Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post

Does anyone use the Integra'a capability for playing SACD's using DSD-> analog?

If so, please explain the sonic improvements/benifits you have actually heard over DSD->PCM.

Also, if there is an improvement, does using DSD->analog offset the loss of room correction mode?

I have yet to see a actual review that discusses the actual sonic improvement this feature offers.

My Pioneer SC37 will play SACD in DSD->PCM mode only.

Not sure if you read Kal's Stereophile article regarding the Integra DHC 80.2 but I believe he touches on this question. AND actually Kal just answered another similar question a page back. See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule
My exact thoughts, and trust me DSD only from the 980H which i treat strictly as a DSD transport, but Kal Rubinson and others make an argument that if the in-player DACs are better, such as with an SCD-XA5400ES or BDP-95 (superior per Kal), then one should choose the 6 analog cables.

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
I did not say that although many do make that argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215
Kal prefers HDMI plus DSP EQ and other DSP features in his own systems, which is basically what I am saying.

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar
There's no way that the DACs can be good enough to make me use analog bypass and lose Audyssey room correction. IMO.

IMO, too.

"Music in the Round"
Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

==============================================

Andy
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version