post #811 of 4286 Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefl52 View Post

In the US we don't have the 5509, just the Integras now if we want to buy top of the line Onkyos.

I understand the 5509 is on its way though. Other than the cosmetics they're identical anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4286 Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, first post and great forum.Got some really good ideas for ht update.Few questions.
Old gear bk processor, bk 2 chan. and 5 chan amps.2 chan supports balanced outputs. Def tech speakers,velodyne uld 18 sub, Sony 720 p 12 year old projector, 122 inch 16:9 screen 1.5 gain. Bat cave dark walls with controlled ligting.
New gear on order oppo 95, integra 80.3,epson 6010
Questions:
-Best audio hook up .Let hdmi handle it vs DVD analog RCA? Do wish to utilize balanced outputs for movie playback and music.Is it possible?
-any utility of a vp in the set up ? Will it improve pq for example lumagen 3d?
-do I need a hdmi 1.4 or will a regular hdmi cable do for 3 d viewing
post #813 of 4286 Old 01-16-2012, 04:37 PM

And thanks,
post #814 of 4286 Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 PM

OK...decision made, the 80.3 is my processor...I'm going with it and the Emovita XPA-5 Amp...Thx all for the recommendations - on and off list..

I'm also going with a Oppo BDP-93 BD player.

Next, I need a good remote, I am considering the Logitech Harmony 1100 - I just wish there was a newer model. Any other recommendations out there that integrate well with the 80.3? I would love to have my iPad control everything...anything out there that stands out?

And finally, what are folks using for their media control? Today I use WMC. I have hundreds of CD's ripped to FLAC, and a bunch of DVD's, on an 8tb home server and want a decent menu system to access these...does the 80.3 work well for this or should I be looking at a media center extender? such as an Xbox...what about Apple TV? I could do a HTPC but would prefer to keep it simple...anyone using an WD TV Live?...

post #815 of 4286 Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrizvi View Post

-Best audio hook up .Let hdmi handle it vs DVD analog RCA?

HDMI in order to use DSP/Audyssey, so get the Oppo 93 instead.

Quote:

Do wish to utilize balanced outputs for movie playback and music.Is it possible?

Sure. Just get an amp with bal inputs.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #816 of 4286 Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet View Post

OK...decision made, the 80.3 is my processor...I'm going with it and the Emovita XPA-5 Amp...Thx all for the recommendations - on and off list..

I'm also going with a Oppo BDP-93 BD player.

Next, I need a good remote, I am considering the Logitech Harmony 1100 - I just wish there was a newer model. Any other recommendations out there that integrate well with the 80.3? I would love to have my iPad control everything...anything out there that stands out?

And finally, what are folks using for their media control? Today I use WMC. I have hundreds of CD's ripped to FLAC, and a bunch of DVD's, on an 8tb home server and want a decent menu system to access these...does the 80.3 work well for this or should I be looking at a media center extender? such as an Xbox...what about Apple TV? I could do a HTPC but would prefer to keep it simple...anyone using an WD TV Live?...

Get the harmony one, you will like the physical buttons better.
Don't get the Oppo or WDTV, just get a good media streamer like the Dune BD-1 that can do both audio and video in high-res with a jukebox interface. There is a remote application for both ios and android called oremote that does a good job as well.
post #817 of 4286 Old 01-16-2012, 08:51 PM

Thx...I'll look into those suggestions!

post #818 of 4286 Old 01-17-2012, 01:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

New gear on order oppo 95, integra 80.3,epson 6010
Questions:
-Best audio hook up .Let hdmi handle it vs DVD analog RCA? Do wish to utilize balanced outputs for movie playback and music.Is it possible?
-any utility of a vp in the set up ? Will it improve pq for example lumagen 3d?
-do I need a hdmi 1.4 or will a regular hdmi cable do for 3 d viewing

Use HDMI for audio. If you use analogue-to-analogue you will be bypassing the benefits of Audyssey XT32's bass management and XT32 is one of the major reasons to choose the 80.3. Any small benefits you believe you may get from using analogue will be massively negated by losing the bass management. A lot of people have compared analogue vs HDMI in the Official Audyssey Thread and all of them have come to the conclusion that HDMI is the way to go.

Balanced (XLR) connections will make no audible difference unless you have exceptionally long cable lengths and a lot of other equipment running nearby that is causing electrical interference. XLR was developed for studio use where they do have very long, complex cable runs and masses of other gear in close proximity. There's no advantage in a domestic setting unless you are experiencing noise, which in a well set-up system you shouldn't be. You can't get less noise than no noise.

A separate VP will make no difference at all for your high def sources in 1080p such as Bluray. If you have a lot of legacy SD material or SD TV that you like to watch, then a VP can be useful. But do be aware that the 80.3 has the Marvell HDQ chip in it which by all accounts, rivals the chips in dedicated VPs. In a recent review (may have been Audioholics - can't recall - anyone?) the reviewer found that the 80.3 aced all the difficult video tests, even those that are usually reserved for testing dedicated VPs. Also, the Oppo is no slouch at video processing SD material either. Unless there is some specific feature of a dedicated VP that you need - such as frame rate locking or something, I would spend the money on something more likely to make a significant difference - e.g. better speakers or subwoofer.

Buy decent cables from Monoprice or Blue Jeans - anything else is a waste of money. Their latest HDMI cables are 1.4 spec and will be more than fine.

One of the biggest benefits of the 80.3 is Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and coming from older gear as you are, this will blow you away. But be sure to read and implement every word of the Setup Guide linked in Post 1 of the Official Audyssey Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895 Almost all Audyssey problems are caused by improper setup.
post #819 of 4286 Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 AM

Liked: 13
"Use HDMI for audio. If you use analogue-to-analogue you will be bypassing the benefits of Audyssey XT32's bass management and XT32 is one of the major reasons to choose the 80.3. Any small benefits you believe you may get from using analogue will be massively negated by losing the bass management."

XT32's room correction
post #820 of 4286 Old 01-17-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post

"Use HDMI for audio. If you use analogue-to-analogue you will be bypassing the benefits of Audyssey XT32's bass management and XT32 is one of the major reasons to choose the 80.3. Any small benefits you believe you may get from using analogue will be massively negated by losing the bass management."

XT32's room correction

And that. The biggest benefit is in the bass frequencies. But XT32 does a great job overall too. If you use analogue to analogue, you bypass bass management is what I was getting at, and that is where XT32 shines.
post #821 of 4286 Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM

I would like to know if using the L & R XLR outputs on my SACD player to the XLR inputs of my 80.3 will give full surround sound. The L & R analog outputs are sent to my 2 channel system. Thanks, Don

Donald S Konicoff
post #822 of 4286 Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaudio View Post

I would like to know if using the L & R XLR outputs on my SACD player to the XLR inputs of my 80.3 will give full surround sound. The L & R analog outputs are sent to my 2 channel system. Thanks, Don

XLR is analog, so you would be able to extract DPL, but as for DD or DTS you have to use the all Digital output (HDMI).
post #823 of 4286 Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitohobe View Post

XLR is analog, so you would be able to extract DPL, but as for DD or DTS you have to use the all Digital output (HDMI).

what is DPL?
post #824 of 4286 Old 01-17-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

what is DPL?

?? Dolby pro logic??
post #825 of 4286 Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitohobe View Post

multichannel files would not work either.
post #826 of 4286 Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM

Thank you so much for such a detailed and through answer
post #827 of 4286 Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 PM

For 3d viewing will I require an hdmi 1.4 cable or will a regular old hdmi cable do.I have a brand new 25 ft and a 6 ft cable from monster cable at hand which I got a good deal on when circuit city was dying.
Thanks in advance
post #828 of 4286 Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For 3d viewing will I require an hdmi 1.4 cable or will a regular old hdmi cable do.I have a brand new 25 ft and a 6 ft cable from monster cable at hand which I got a good deal on when circuit city was dying.
Thanks in advance

Your existing cables should work fine
post #829 of 4286 Old 01-18-2012, 03:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Your existing cables should work fine

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Mlknez is right. Try the cable you have first - chances are it will be just fine. If you get any pink/green flashes or any sort of picture break-up, then you probably need a better cable.
post #830 of 4286 Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Does anyone know of a dealer that will ship an Integra 80.3 to Toronto, Canada. There are only 1 or 2 dealers that I know of in Toronto that can bring one in (not even a stocked item), but they are rediculously priced.

PS. Up-state New York, say around Buffalo would be great, cheaper shipping I would assume.

Thanks

Paul
post #831 of 4286 Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Does anyone know of a dealer that will ship an Integra 80.3 to Toronto, Canada. There are only 1 or 2 dealers that I know of in Toronto that can bring one in (not even a stocked item), but they are ridiculously priced.

PS. Up-state New York, say around Buffalo would be great, cheaper shipping I would assume.

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

Why not just drive over and pick one up.
Looks like that would be easier and not take a change on Breakage from shipping.

Terry
post #832 of 4286 Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Quick Question for those who are Bi-Amping their DHC-80.3.

Some background:

I've applied the December 2011 firmware update to my 80.3 and everything went smoothly; well, the feedback from the update suggested all went well. I used the USB method. Before I applied the update, I reset the 80.3 back to factory defaults and after the update, I again reset the 80.3 back to factory defaults. Habits from best practices within the computer world I work in. After doing the FW update and resetting the 80.3 back to factory defaults, I set the speaker type to "Bi-Amp", among other changes I deemed appropriate for my setup. After doing this, I re-ran the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 setup.

My question is... Assuming my cabling is correct, when Bi-Amping the front main speakers, shouldn't the Audyssey setup process each "channel/circuit/path" into each of the front, main speakers? In other words, shouldn't I hear/"see" two test tones for each front main speakers as it processes the "Low side" and the "High side" of the front mains? The reason I ask is because Audyssey did NOT conduct two test tones for each front, main speaker. All I got was one test tone for each front, main speaker.

If I am suppose to get two test tones for each front main, what did I miss, setting wise? I've read the manual and admittedly, it is the worse manual I've come across in a long, long time. I am beginning to think the audience for the manual is... with bated breath, the engineers who wrote the manual. It's their notebook that they offered up... Anyway, I've been going through the manual, looking and comparing settings, and I don't see anything misconfigured. Doesn't mean I understand the value and purpose of each setting, but there aren't that many setting relating to Bi-Amping that I could tell. It's pretty straight forward, so it seems.

Perhaps my expectations aren't correct, set here in this thread and elsewhere, and that I should NOT hear two test tones per speaker when Bi-Amping. Thoughts?

From the FW Release Notes:

The 12/20/2011 update addresses the following:
1. Improves noise during playback of DTS-HD Master Audio with particular Blu-ray discs
2. Corrects operation of Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 in Bi-Amp mode
3. Stabilizes audio output when Zone 2 (or 3) is turned on before the main power (DHC-80.3 only)

Appreciate your time and responses,

Sparcs
post #833 of 4286 Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Does anyone know of a dealer that will ship an Integra 80.3 to Toronto, Canada. There are only 1 or 2 dealers that I know of in Toronto that can bring one in (not even a stocked item), but they are rediculously priced.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul
I to would love that shipment.Let me know if you have any luck.Mabe we could get 2 shipped.I work in the GTA
thanks john
post #834 of 4286 Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparcs View Post

Quick Question for those who are Bi-Amping their DHC-80.3.

Some background:

I've applied the December 2011 firmware update to my 80.3 and everything went smoothly; well, the feedback from the update suggested all went well. I used the USB method. Before I applied the update, I reset the 80.3 back to factory defaults and after the update, I again reset the 80.3 back to factory defaults. Habits from best practices within the computer world I work in. After doing the FW update and resetting the 80.3 back to factory defaults, I set the speaker type to "Bi-Amp", among other changes I deemed appropriate for my setup. After doing this, I re-ran the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 setup.

My question is... Assuming my cabling is correct, when Bi-Amping the front main speakers, shouldn't the Audyssey setup process each "channel/circuit/path" into each of the front, main speakers? In other words, shouldn't I hear/"see" two test tones for each front main speakers as it processes the "Low side" and the "High side" of the front mains? The reason I ask is because Audyssey did NOT conduct two test tones for each front, main speaker. All I got was one test tone for each front, main speaker.

If I am suppose to get two test tones for each front main, what did I miss, setting wise? I've read the manual and admittedly, it is the worse manual I've come across in a long, long time. I am beginning to think the audience for the manual is... with bated breath, the engineers who wrote the manual. It's their notebook that they offered up... Anyway, I've been going through the manual, looking and comparing settings, and I don't see anything misconfigured. Doesn't mean I understand the value and purpose of each setting, but there aren't that many setting relating to Bi-Amping that I could tell. It's pretty straight forward, so it seems.

Perhaps my expectations aren't correct, set here in this thread and elsewhere, and that I should NOT hear two test tones per speaker when Bi-Amping. Thoughts?

From the FW Release Notes:

The 12/20/2011 update addresses the following:
1. Improves noise during playback of DTS-HD Master Audio with particular Blu-ray discs
2. Corrects operation of Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 in Bi-Amp mode
3. Stabilizes audio output when Zone 2 (or 3) is turned on before the main power (DHC-80.3 only)

Appreciate your time and responses,

Sparcs

Hi Sparcs.

When audyssey is working properly, each speaker will produce 10 frequency sweeps from low to high for each speaker tested in each position regardless if it is bi-amp connected or not. Prior to the latest firmware update, the low end of the frequency sweep was missing for bi-amp connected speakers after position one. The output would then assume that your bi-amp connected speakers were not full range. It is now working correctly.
post #835 of 4286 Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclsound View Post

Hi Paul
I to would love that shipment.Let me know if you have any luck.Mabe we could get 2 shipped.I work in the GTA
thanks john

John I sent you a private message...please respond...... we don't want to derail the thread here on Canadian price talk.

Paul
post #836 of 4286 Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparcs View Post

And, I assume, the signal came through both the high and low portions. This is the correct way to do it as the processor cannot know what external crossovers are in use and, therefore, cannot EQ for a correct and smooth transition.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #837 of 4286 Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Kal, how are you? Doing some reading on this thread as per your advice.

Now, if I could only find a dealer in Toronto.

Paul
post #838 of 4286 Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
OK, i succumbed, got one! Almost ready to buy a used PR-SC5508 but then got a followup call with a difference was just a few hundred. Please don't PM with price questions, the dealer promised to break both my legs if i speak, he meant it!

This is a weird Christmas for me, i believe i experienced a delayed exacerbation of chronic upgraditis, one that left a 5k hole in my wallet between player, processor, and interconns Now i need to move the old gear on Audiogon.

============================================================ ================
My system:

DVD-A1HDCI SACD with King Cobra analogs (M1000i XLR stereo), LG DB-390 for BD/VUDU, Dell Precision T7500 GTX260/OxygenHD-ASIO-FOOBAR, OTA rotator parabolic 100mi radius antenna with dual amps feeding a Channel Master CM7000 DVR (xxxx the digi cable co. and sats, this is a Dish VIP622 without the monthly fees), Escient 1200 DVD system with changers.

DHC-80.3 with King Cobra XLRs out

Marsh Sound Design A400s stereo and SHerbourn 5/1500A 5 channel monoblock amps.

Belden 10AWG-silver-spades DYI equidistant cables

Paradigm Reference Studio 100v.2, CC, ADP, 20s, Servo-15 all matched.

Mitsubishi HC7000 primary/ Apple 22" LCD secondary / 15" Samsung cash register
touchscreen for the Escient server on a mount for easy browsing
=======================================================

My perceived advantages over the DHC-9.9 it replaces:

1. Ability to biamp front stage and still have 7.1.

2. Marvell / IDT Qdeo VP with improved mosquito noise reduction will do my analog 1200 DVD Escient server collection justice, i also switched to MIT AVT1 component cables for good measure.

3. Audyssey XT32, the DTR-70.3 (really a DTR-80.3 minus dual PSU and binding posts) with humble Polks really came to life in the living room and made me a believer.

4. Finally dual synchronous monitors so i can enjoy ID3 display on the secondary monitor when playing SACD, without having to hit the monitor button every time while leaving setup unlocked to be able to do this (i guess Asian engineers also drink on the job).

Now i have to be patient until the Tech Craft SF60 cabinet refinish cures, i used 1x1 oak to secure each structural shelf, then 30 min epoxy galore in every crevice, after all only the DVD-A1 weighs in
at 42 lbs. The amp stand got replaced by a Salamander Archetype 3 shelf system, similar to the Sorice but nore ingenious as shelf heights are infinitely adjustable. IMHO with QC down the drain with Salamander, black is the only color that will hide the imperfections, my friend has a 10 year old rack and quality was shining through and through, i guess the labor camps aka industrial zones took care of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I understand the 5509 is on its way though. Other than the cosmetics they're identical anyway.

Pure Audio button, 2 year warranty only, much more elegant front.

I called EIKI USA today before ordering my DHC-80.3 and they confirmed
that they know nothing about the PR-SC5509 hitting our shores.

I checked Amazon.jp and several reliable JP direct importers, could get one for
the price of 2, no thx!
post #839 of 4286 Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Use HDMI for audio. If you use analogue-to-analogue you will be bypassing the benefits of Audyssey XT32's bass management and XT32 is one of the major reasons to choose the 80.3. Any small benefits you believe you may get from using analogue will be massively negated by losing the bass management. A lot of people have compared analogue vs HDMI in the Official Audyssey Thread and all of them have come to the conclusion that HDMI is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post

XT32's room correction

+1 with a notable exception, the only time an in-player decoding solution is superior is if the player DACs are superior, such as the case with the AKM DACs in 6-8k Esoteric, Marantz, but also some humbler players, like my refurb Denon POA-A1HDCI. I have long used an Oppo DV-980H and believed firmly in DSD transmission to the processor, until the good people on www.sa-cd.net helped me see the light. The Oppo BD-95 uses almost identical to the Onkyo/Integra Burr Brown DACs. Bass
management in these players is exemplary as one would expect it in that price range.
post #840 of 4286 Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

+1 with a notable exception, the only time an in-player decoding solution is superior is if the player DACs are superior, such as the case with the AKM DACs in 6-8k Esoteric, Marantz, but also some humbler players, like my refurb Denon POA-A1HDCI. I have long used an Oppo DV-980H and believed firmly in DSD transmission to the processor, until the good people on www.sa-cd.net helped me see the light. The Oppo BD-95 uses almost identical to the Onkyo/Integra Burr Brown DACs. Bass
management in these players is exemplary as one would expect it in that price range.

Nope. That is not an exception at all. The differences among DACs certainly are real but they are small compared to the impact of good roomEQ in the typical listening/HT room.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page