Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Of coarse no-one wants to deal with bugs, but if they don't get reported they don't get fixed in future firmware updates, and that one seems to me to be a biggie.

This has truly become the way of the world these days, the consumer has become an integral part of product testing and advancement.... Sad but true..

I would do the workaround to make sure you will be able to do a full Audyssey sweep at all, making sure there isn't something wrong with the unit as pepar stated... Then get with Integra after the fact, so you can confirm that you are able to run Audyssey in single amp mode. At least thats where I would start, just to confirm, its not like its a huge chore, are all your speakers bi-amped or just the mains.... ?

Just my fronts are bi-amped as they are the only ones that actually have a detectable difference when doing so. I will set the speakers up for a single amp connection then run the full audyssey config again tomorrow when my house is empty again.

I just received a call back from Integra tech support telling me that they do not know when they will get a DHC-80.3 to test for the issue. How is this possible? What is the purpose of tech support there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Yes, you need to "fix" this "bi-amping" issue before you can be sure that something isn't wrong with the unit.

I am going to reconfig my system for a single amp connection and retry the full audyssey config
Old 10-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

I am going to reconfig my system for a single amp connection and retry the full audyssey config

Yes, but the question would remain in my head as to what it - or I - had done wrong the previous configuration. A setting perhaps wrong in the 80.3?

I'd want to track that down before I could feel good about my new purchase.

Just my $.02.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, but the question would remain in my head as to what it - or I - had done wrong the previous configuration. A setting perhaps wrong in the 80.3?

I'd want to track that down before I could feel good about my new purchase.

Just my $.02.

Jeff

I totally agree. The worst part is that Integra tech support doesn't even have a unit to confirm or deny the issue. I hope it is just a setting that I have done wrong, but tech support seems that think that all of my settings are correct. The fact that it works through one position in the audyssey config but not in positions 2-8, seems to point to a problem with the implementation, not my config. I will find out tomorrow if single amp works.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
No question pepar - one will always want a product to perform as advertised... changing name brands, will always take that time to get used to the layout of the menu systems. I got my 80.3 last friday and I have been slowly working my way through all the settings and getting used to how the menu system is laid out... WOW is all I can say about how much stuff there is on this thing..

First thing outta the gait, hooked it all up in about 20 mins and fired it up. So far so good... Got 2 sources out to my 65 panny, HTPC/XBMC 1080p, and DISH, I couldn't seem to get the darn upconversion from any setting to 1080p, nothing but judder from my Dish, come on WTH !! Turns out I missed 1 setting, the HDMI out to the display was set to 1080p /24, which don't work for the panny, which is in a completely different section from the video settings. I set that to plane 1080p and everything was golden. Trial period still goes on, and I have alot to get used to. Gotta work on the colors next, and I only ran the basic Audyssey, as soon as I get some time I will work on the full sweeps.

I have a simple boom mic stand, I need an adapter for the audyssey mic.... so I'm waiting on that...
Old 10-05-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Warp, is the 80.3 going into the main system or the bedroom system?

Would like to hear your comparisons to the Anthem if it is going into the main system.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems that the 80.3 implements network playing of your local content as only DLNA and cannot use SMB or NTFS to navigate or play content. This is a negative in my evaluation. DLNA is a very limited protocol. It looks like network play from this device will not negate the need for a media streamer/player.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Warp, is the 80.3 going into the main system or the bedroom system?

Would like to hear your comparisons to the Anthem if it is going into the main system.

I'm going to hold off until I've had the unit in my main rig for some time so I can get a better feel for how this unit stands up a bit more over time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

It seems that the 80.3 implements network playing of your local content as only DLNA and cannot use SMB or NTFS to navigate or play content. This is a negative in my evaluation. DLNA is a very limited protocol. It looks like network play from this device will not negate the need for a media streamer/player.

I agree - although the Android app for this unit is pretty cool, and works flawlessly for me - aside from just controlling various needed items such as volume, sub control, setup - it also sees all the music on my phone and I can stream it right from there - even FLAC... Its certainly not something I would generally choose as a source - I have over 1tb of music on my server, and XBMC is a far superior an interface for streaming music or movies - plus its all controllable via Android as well....
Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have an 80.2, which I am delighted with, and no plans to get an 80.3. I expect the difference is mainly about additional features and not about basic audio/video quality.

We have been through the clicking issue ad nauseum in the 80.2 thread. I expect the 80.3 is similar. The main culprit and main source of complaints seems to be satellite TV, though some cable carriers might also have the problem. The clicks occur mainly when the program material changes from Mch to stereo or vice versa, mainly on commercials. They can also occur on changing channels. It is also possible, I am guessing, that signal strength variations on satellite might case a click on normal program material.

The clicking, incidentally, appears to be coming from a muting relay in the unit itself. It does not come from the speakers, and in fact protects them during these changes in program material. It is electro-mechanical and is highly unlilkely to ever be changed via firmware.

Changing the listening mode presets to be the same for stereo or Mch - I use Dolby PLIIx for both - has eliminated the clicks for me on my Comcast cable box. I can watch TV for weeks without a click. But, it was determined in the 80.2 thread that satellite carriers like Direct TV insert a gap during these changes that makes the click unavoidable in that case.

I always use direct addressing of new channels from favorites on my Logitech remote or from the cable program guide, and no clicking occurs. I believe if I do a channel up/down on the remote, I will get a click.

I have experienced clicking on chapter skips on Blu-ray, which I seldom do, but on no other disk formats, such as SACD. Clicks while watching/listenening to a disk likely indicate a disk defect/dropout or a defective unit. I have not experienced this myself at all that I can recall.

Also, the audibility of the clicking may be highly dependent on how the unit is set up. Mine is in the line of sight about 12 ft. away in a cabinet under my TV with open front door and open back, but the clicks, are at worst as Kal described - minor ticks which are essentially unobtrusive in my case.

I can understand the annoyance of Direct TV watchers with the unit due to clicking. But, I love my 80.2. Kal rated the 80.2 as Class A in Stereophile. That's as high a rating as many other famous high priced prepros costing around 4X - 10X as much. From my more limited experience with some of these high priced prepros, I agree completely. So, you have to weigh the clicking, which can be minimized as I have described, vs. the outstanding performance the unit delivers for what is a bargain price. I believe nothing compares at or near the price.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I'm expecting my 80.3 soon, and was very happy to find this thread. Thanks to all for contributing! In that spirit, I'd like to add a little from my past experience on the clicking/ticking/switching noise issue.

I've been the happy owner of a Rotel RSP-1098 for the past 8 years. It also uses the type of (high-quality, reliable) switches that will make an audible noise when flipped to toggle the DSP in and out of the signal path. The only time this noise ever bothers me is when there is a problem with intermittent drop-outs on the input such that the processor is forced to repeatedly activate the switch when it shouldn't be necessary. Invariably this happens due to a poor feed from Comcast.

I have absolutely no qualms about my purchase of the Integra on the basis that I may also encounter this reaction from it to source problems. As was mentioned with regard to the Krell units that do the same thing also, the manufacturers' only easy accommodation for such problems is to add a delay to the switch activation that will hopefully span the duration of the drop-out. That's fine for channel switching and the like, but it can only do so much when reception is bad. If they make the delay too long, we'd start complaining about waiting for it to switch when it should.

In short, there's a reason people are encountering this behavior almost exclusively with TV program material, and in my opinion the complaints should also be going almost exclusively to cable and satellite providers, not Integra. I expect other companies avoid switching noise altogether by not using electro-mechanical relays to begin with, which is not necessarily a good thing at all.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

Kal rated the 80.2 as Class A in Stereophile. That's as high a rating as many other famous high priced prepros costing around 4X - 10X as much.

That doesn't mean that they are equal in all ways, of course.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 10-06-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I don't think anyone answered this, can this unit be customer updated through the normal user menus either via USB or internet?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Would upgrading from the Onkyo 807 to say this Integra 80.3 or even the Onkyo 5009 be worth it?? Money and sound quality wise plus the extra goodies in the Avr??

Currently have the 807 with a 7.2 Paradigm system!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

I don't think anyone answered this, can this unit be customer updated through the normal user menus either via USB or internet?

End-user Firmware updates can be accomplished either from the USB port or via the ethernet port.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

dlna on the 80.3 seems to be unable to handle multi-channel pcm and flac files. Going through the Net channel does seem a little laggy even though I have a very fast wired connection all of the way though to the internet

The USB port does a pretty good job of integration with Apple ios products but not so well with Android ones.

I was able to run a full Audyssey config by removing bi-amping on my front speakers then returning to bi-amp afterwards. I will see if there is a noticable difference in sound.

The audio return channel does work with Netflix on my Panasonic plasma.

I am starting to figure out the video modes... there is a through and a direct mode as well as the usual suspects. I am going to see how they differ on different sources and then configure my isf modes.

Analog sources such as tuner, cassette, VCR, and records do sound better than on my DTC-9.8 but not quite sure how much yet.

You can get this unit up and going pretty quickly but be prepared to spend many hours tweaking your configs.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Would upgrading from the Onkyo 807 to say this Integra 80.3 or even the Onkyo 5009 be worth it?? Money and sound quality wise plus the extra goodies in the Avr??

Currently have the 807 with a 7.2 Paradigm system!

The dhc-80.3 is a pre-pro...the Onkyo 807 is a receiver. 2 different animals. & quite a bit more cash outlay since u'll b purchasing a 5-9 ch power amp to use with the pre-pro.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 View Post

The dhc-80.3 is a pre-pro...the Onkyo 807 is a receiver. 2 different animals. & quite a bit more cash outlay since u'll b purchasing a 5-9 ch power amp to use with the pre-pro.

Whats exactly the difference between a pre-pro and a receiver?? Couldnt I just sell my 807 and get the 80.3 and just hook everything up or would I have to purchase a 5-9 ch power amp to use with the pre-pro??? whatever that is
Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Wireless member

Pre-pro is preamplifier and processor ... everything except amplification. Receiver is all of it.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

He could upgrade to the DTR-80.3 which is close to same with amp
Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pre-pro is preamplifier and processor ... everything except amplification. Receiver is all of it.

Ok that makes sense but I thought the 80.3 is a receiver! It says that on their Integra website so the 80.3 should do it all!!! It does also say the 80.3 is under the preamp section as well!

Ok nm with all this.....I was looking at the DTR 80.3 not the DHC 80.3 ignore this and I would of course just go with the DTR 80.3!!! thx
Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

He could upgrade to the DTR-80.3 which is close to same with amp

I thought the 80.3 was identical in terms or preamp/processor section to the DHC 80.3, not just close....
Old 10-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Ok that makes sense but I thought the 80.3 is a receiver! It says that on their Integra website so the 80.3 should do it all!!! It does also say the 80.3 is under the preamp section as well!

Ok nm with all this.....I was looking at the DTR 80.3 not the DHC 80.3 ignore this and I would of course just go with the DTR 80.3!!! thx

yes, that's it. this is the pre-pro thread, so the unspoken context is always the pre-pro.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post

I thought the 80.3 was identical in terms or preamp/processor section to the DHC 80.3, not just close....

you are correct.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

... I believe nothing compares at or near the price.

Thanks for this post. I'm curious, have you heard the Denon 4311 (which can be used as a pre/pro)? I've been trying to decide between a 80.2/80.3 and the Denon... I haven't heard any of these units yet though I was expecting the Integras and 4311 to be equally as good... The units are around the same price.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

That doesn't mean that they are equal in all ways, of course.

Without going into too much detail, could you expand on this comment? If restricted to digital inputs, is there really anything that's much better, regardless of price?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz... View Post

Thanks for this post. I'm curious, have you heard the Denon 4311 (which can be used as a pre/pro)? I've been trying to decide between a 80.2/80.3 and the Denon... I haven't heard any of these units yet though I was expecting the Integras and 4311 to be equally as good... The units are around the same price.

I have had the Denon 4311 in my system used as a pre-pro and while it is a good product I prefer the Onkyo 5508 which I have now. The Onkyo 5508 is the same as a Integra 80.2.

In my system the Denon had a smooth, laid back sound compared to the Onkyo which was nice for mellow music but not as nice for action movies. The 5508 has a more dynamic and forward feel to it for movies that I really prefer over the 4311. I did compare the Denon 4311 directly with my Onkyo 886 which is about 2 generations before the 5508. In that comparison the Denon was superior in my system for music but the 886 still won out for movies. I personally didn't like the 886 at all for music but the 5508 is a definite upgrade musically and on par with the Denon IMO.

I don't think you could go wrong with either the Onkyo/Integra or Denon, it just depends on your listening preference's.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
Old 10-08-2011, 08:43 AM

Hello all:

I'm new to Integra nd to this thread. I installed my DHC 80.3 this past Wednesday. It replaced my B & K Ref 70 which has been sent to orphaned product heaven.

So far so good. The 80.3 installed easily. Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 seemed to work fine.

My sources are Comcast DVR, Oppo BD, Roku media player and SqueezeBox network music player.

I've experienced no sound anomalies like popping, clicking or dropouts.

One question: Does anyone know the device code for my Roku?

Jim Lunden

Avon, CT
Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz... View Post

Without going into too much detail, could you expand on this comment? If restricted to digital inputs, is there really anything that's much better, regardless of price?

Much is not an issue here as, imho, there are not HUGE differences among quality electronics. There are noticeable differences in sound quality which I ascribe (without technical basis) to the D/A and analog output stages and that is why, price aside, I prefer the Meridian and Classe processors within this class.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I have an 80.2, which I am delighted with, and no plans to get an 80.3. I expect the difference is mainly about additional features and not about basic audio/video quality.

We have been through the clicking issue ad nauseum in the 80.2 thread. I expect the 80.3 is similar. The main culprit and main source of complaints seems to be satellite TV, though some cable carriers might also have the problem. The clicks occur mainly when the program material changes from Mch to stereo or vice versa, mainly on commercials. They can also occur on changing channels. It is also possible, I am guessing, that signal strength variations on satellite might case a click on normal program material.

The clicking, incidentally, appears to be coming from a muting relay in the unit itself. It does not come from the speakers, and in fact protects them during these changes in program material. It is electro-mechanical and is highly unlilkely to ever be changed via firmware.

Changing the listening mode presets to be the same for stereo or Mch - I use Dolby PLIIx for both - has eliminated the clicks for me on my Comcast cable box. I can watch TV for weeks without a click. But, it was determined in the 80.2 thread that satellite carriers like Direct TV insert a gap during these changes that makes the click unavoidable in that case.

I always use direct addressing of new channels from favorites on my Logitech remote or from the cable program guide, and no clicking occurs. I believe if I do a channel up/down on the remote, I will get a click.

I have experienced clicking on chapter skips on Blu-ray, which I seldom do, but on no other disk formats, such as SACD. Clicks while watching/listenening to a disk likely indicate a disk defect/dropout or a defective unit. I have not experienced this myself at all that I can recall.

Also, the audibility of the clicking may be highly dependent on how the unit is set up. Mine is in the line of sight about 12 ft. away in a cabinet under my TV with open front door and open back, but the clicks, are at worst as Kal described - minor ticks which are essentially unobtrusive in my case.

I can understand the annoyance of Direct TV watchers with the unit due to clicking. But, I love my 80.2. Kal rated the 80.2 as Class A in Stereophile. That's as high a rating as many other famous high priced prepros costing around 4X - 10X as much. From my more limited experience with some of these high priced prepros, I agree completely. So, you have to weigh the clicking, which can be minimized as I have described, vs. the outstanding performance the unit delivers for what is a bargain price. I believe nothing compares at or near the price.

Thanks Fitz... for the succinct recap of the 80.2 thread.

I read just about all of the 80.2 thread (excessively monotonous at times) as I was planning on purchasing either an 80.2 or a Marantz AV7005. I wanted to know what was in store for me, and I found it confusing as I didn't have an 80.2 to play with and I couldn't relate to what many people were talking about. What the heck, what's this clicking noise? And midstream, during playback? I always wondered about the 80.2 issues I was reading about.

Praying that the 80.3 resolved the 80.2 issues, I bought the 80.3 over the AVR7005. Now that I've owned an 80.3 for two weeks now, I still can't relate about the clicking noise. I think you are right... its got to be the source material as I don't hear it with the two sources I use, an AppleTV and a BD player. Switching between NetFlix and Apple Movies, I still don't hear it and yet, I can see that the AppleTV unit is causing the 80.3 to change how its decodes (?) the source material. Its a quiet transition.

Thanks again Fitz.

Sparcs
Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sparcs

What do you mean the AppleTV changes how the 80.3 decodes the source material?
Most of what I see on AppleTV is 2.0 or 5.1 DD, what is 80.3 doing with this?

Tags
Onkyo Integra