post #1591 of 4280 Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I've owned he 4311 (which mastermaybe bought front me, btw ) and currently have a 5009.

In every way that counts, the Onkyo bests the Denon IMO.

I've never been as happy with how the films I've mixed sound in my home.

In addition he video processing is fantastic. While the 4311 and 5009 seem equivalent in terms of SD up coversion, the HD processing is amazing on the Onkyo.

While I can agree that Onkyo is late to the party on 11.2, the point no one else brings up is there arent any other manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon either. Regardless of price.

On a side note, I was permanently banned from a thread for behavior far more civilized and level headed that what's going in over here.

Everyone should take a deep breath and act like good citizens in this place we are all guests in.

Just ny. 02.

I have already admitted to my own over-zealous behavior and I'll apologize now: sorry all.

It was just frustrating to me because- just as F-mixer has said- the Onkyo/Integra likely meets or exceeds the 4311 in the vast majority of "meat and potato" categories. It was just the combination of no 11 channels and the no digital outs to the zones that did me in...I use a new apple tv to stream spotify from my ipad/iphone: there are NO analog outs on it so I really am SOL to my deck and second room without a goofy workaround- at best.

In any app not requiring those 2 traits, I'd take the Integra in a heartbeat.

Again, here's to hoping it'll be upgrade city this fall to the 80.4.

Enjoy your prepros.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I have already admitted to my own over-zealous behavior and I'll apologize now: sorry all.

It's rare to see apologies in these threads so I commend you for it.

Quote:

Again, here's to hoping it'll be upgrade city this fall to the 80.4.

Without trying to give CPR to the horse, I really doubt if Integra will be going to 11.2 any time soon. I just don't think the market is there for it, as we said many posts back when all this kicked off. HST, Integra/Onkyo do have a reputation for being at the leading edge - eg their 4k upscaling in the latest models - so anything is possible. And, of course, they do have to introduce something new in the next generation of prepros or nobody will be interested in upgrading. On that point, I wonder what percentage of annual sales is from people upgrading from the year's before model? Fairly small I'd guess. I think this is the main stumbling block to seeing 11.2 - it is commercially not all that important to satisfy such a tiny percentage of their market when they could spend their money on other improvements which might generate actual sales in some number. It's not even as though they are being spurred on by their competitors - only the 4311 offers some form of 11.2 AFAIK. I hope you do get what you want and that Integra/Onkyo introduce an 11.2 unit. It will be of no interest to me personally and certainly won't encourage me to even think about upgrading my 5509. I am hoping that the 5509 gives me at least 5 years of service, but we'll have to wait and see what Onkyo come up with I guess that might tempt me.

All the best.
post #1593 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I use a new apple tv to stream spotify from my ipad/iphone: there are NO analog outs on it so I really am SOL to my deck and second room without a goofy workaround- at best.

I have a Sonos zp90 With analog outs but maybe this would be a cost effective solution http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-Digital-...1817378&sr=1-4

post #1594 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You may be right about the 4311 being the only 11.2 unit out there that could simultaneously do DSX wide and height plus 2 sub channels. I do note that the recently upgraded Denon prepro ($7,500) and 5308 now have DSX, but are limited to 12 channel output, not 13. Details about simultaneous wide/height support are very sketchy on the web, so I do not know if they support that. In any case, it would not seem that they could do 11.2.
post #1595 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

I am a sub nut too N8 but right now I am trying a different route. Sold my LMS Ultra 18" pair awhile ago to use up my closeout subs that have been sitting around. Right now I have 8 of the NHT 10" and am about to install 8 of the ACI 12" subs to go along with my dual Mael-X 18's and single M-21. I am hoping the 10 and 12's kill in the mid-bass and the 21 and 18's bring the house down with ultra low bass.

If I am not heard from in a few weeks I am probable under the rubble of my home

dang...

man, i'd like to sit in yours or n8's room...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1596 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey guys, can someone please explain to me how the "through" function on Pg 49 of the manual [Main Menu- Input/Output Assign] relates to pg 61 [Picture Adjust].
I have my Oppo 93 set at "Source Direct", and I want to send the signal, via HDMI, to my Kuro, completely untouched by the 80.3. What settings are you using?.

A) [Main Menu- Input/Output Assign(Pg 49)] = "Through" & [Picture Adjust /Picture Mode (pg 61)] = "Through"
B) [Main Menu- Input/Output Assign(Pg 49)] = "Through" & [Picture Adjust/Picture Mode (pg 61)] = "Direct"
C) [Main Menu- Input/Output Assign(Pg 49)] = "Source" & [Picture Adjust/Picture Mode (pg 61)] = "Through"
D) [Main Menu- Input/Output Assign(Pg 49)] = "Source" & [Picture Adjust/Picture Mode (pg 61)] = "Direct"

Does selecting "Through" under resolution on pg 49, automatically sends a signal at the same resolution and with no conversion, REGARDLESS of the settings on pg 6,1 except for "Custom"?

Resolution (Pg 49)
Through*1:
Select this to pass video through the AV controller at
the same resolution and with no conversion.
Auto*2:
Select this to have the AV controller automatically
convert video at resolutions supported by your TV.
480p (480p/576p), 720p, 1080i, 1080p*2:
Select the desired output resolution.
1080p/24*2*3:
Select this for 1080p output at 24 frames per second.
4K Upscaling*2*3:
Select this for an output resolution four times that of
1080p, resulting in 3840 × 2160 pixels.
Source:
Output will be according to the resolution level
which was set in the Picture Adjust (➔ page 61).
You can specify the output resolution for the HDMI
output(s) and COMPONENT VIDEO MONITOR OUT
so that the AV controller upconverts the picture resolution
as necessary to match the resolution supported by your TV

Picture Mode*1 (pg 61)
Custom:
All settings can be performed manually.
ISF Day:
Setting when a room is bright.
ISF Night:
Setting when a room is dark.
Cinema:
Select when the picture source is a movie or alike.
Game:
Select when the video source is a game console.
Streaming:
Attempts to reduce the mosquito noise and block
artifact effects.
Through:
Does not adjust picture quality (changes resolution).
Direct:
Does not adjust picture quality (does not change
resolution). The video coming from an analog input
and output by HDMI output(s) is processed in the
same way as Through.

Paul
post #1597 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

It was just the combination of no 11 channels and the no digital outs to the zones that did me in...I use a new apple tv to stream spotify from my ipad/iphone: there are NO analog outs on it so I really am SOL to my deck and second room without a goofy workaround- at best.

James, I am using a Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to R/L Stereo Audio Converter from Monoprice that has worked flawlessly for me. The Apple TV outputs audio simultaneously from the HDMI and Toslink so I just run the HDMI to the Denon for zone 1 and then the analog out from the adapter to the corresponding analog input on the receiver for zone 2. I did this on my Onkyo 1007 as well. Works great! iTunes by the pool! Hope that helps.
Bruce
post #1598 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Hey guys, can someone please explain to me how the "through" function on Pg 49 of the manual [Main Menu- Input/Output Assign] relates to pg 61 [Picture Adjust].
I have my Oppo 93 set at "Source Direct", and I want to send the signal, via HDMI, to my Kuro, completely untouched by the 80.3. What settings are you using?.

Hi Paul.

In Main Menu- Input/Output Assign if you set the setting to SOURCE then all picture settings are then determined by what you have set in the Picture Adjust menu.

In Main Menu- Input/Output Assign if you set it to THROUGH, then all video is simply passed through your unit untouched and you will not be able to set individual video processing settings for individual sources.

If you wish to make different settings on a source by source basis, you need first to set Main Menu- Input/Output Assign to SOURCE.

Then go to Picture Adjust menu and set each source to what you want. If you want a particular source to pass through untouched, then set it to THROUGH in this menu. If you want to upscale to, say, 1080p24Hz for a particular source, then choose that setting for the relevant source.

You will also find that if you select CUSTOM in that menu then you have a whole raft of picture setting adjustments open to you - eg you can change brightness and sharpness and noise reduction there on a source by source basis.

To send your Oppo picture through untouched (not quite true but leave that aside for now) you need to set Main Menu- Input/Output Assign to SOURCE and then set Picture Adjust for that source to THROUGH.

If you want to set all your sources to THROUGH, the easiest way is to set Main Menu- Input/Output Assign to THROUGH.

Remember if you set Main Menu- Input/Output Assign to SOURCE you need to check in Picture Adjust that each source is set the way you want it - THROUGH, CUSTOM, 1080p etc as you wish.
post #1599 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Hi Paul.

In Main Menu- Input/Output Assign if you set the setting to SOURCE then all picture settings are then determined by what you have set in the Picture Adjust menu.........
Remember if you set Main Menu- Input/Output Assign to SOURCE you need to check in Picture Adjust that each source is set the way you want it - THROUGH, CUSTOM, 1080p etc as you wish.

Keith to the rescue.....Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I will be doing some testing on the weekend with this unit. I'll post my findings once I am done.

Thanks

Paul
post #1600 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Keith to the rescue.....Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I will be doing some testing on the weekend with this unit. I'll post my findings once I am done.

Thanks

Paul

No problem, Paul. I have mine set to SOURCE in the Main Menu and then set my individual sources in Picture Adjust according to what they are - eg, Blu-ray is THROUGH, my Sat TV box is 1080p, my HD-DVD player is THROUGH, my SD DVD player is CUSTOM and so on.
post #1601 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Without trying to give CPR to the horse, I really doubt if Integra will be going to 11.2 any time soon. I just don't think the market is there for it, as we said many posts back when all this kicked off. HST, Integra/Onkyo do have a reputation for being at the leading edge - eg their 4k upscaling in the latest models - so anything is possible. And, of course, they do have to introduce something new in the next generation of prepros or nobody will be interested in upgrading. On that point, I wonder what percentage of annual sales is from people upgrading from the year's before model? Fairly small I'd guess. I think this is the main stumbling block to seeing 11.2 - it is commercially not all that important to satisfy such a tiny percentage of their market when they could spend their money on other improvements which might generate actual sales in some number. It's not even as though they are being spurred on by their competitors - only the 4311 offers some form of 11.2 AFAIK. I hope you do get what you want and that Integra/Onkyo introduce an 11.2 unit. It will be of no interest to me personally and certainly won’t encourage me to even think about upgrading my 5509. I am hoping that the 5509 gives me at least 5 years of service, but we'll have to wait and see what Onkyo come up with I guess that might tempt me.

All the best.

I corresponded with Chris Kyriakakis from Audyssey about this exact topic only a few days ago. I asked him why there is only one component that will allow the full 11.2 DSX? He, like me and obviously others can not comprehend why other manufacturers have not followed suit as the implementation is relatively inexpensive, especially in a pre amp. Did not having 11.2 stop me from buying the Integra DHC 80.3? No. Do I think the Integra DHC 80.3 should be 11.2 enabled? Absolutely. The bottom line is that DSX has reviewed very well and we as audiophiles are all about getting the best audio experience possible, so why would we not want the option of having 11.2? In my opinion, there is no reason.
post #1602 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesey74 View Post

I corresponded with Chris Kyriakakis from Audyssey about this exact topic only a few days ago. I asked him why there is only one component that will allow the full 11.2 DSX? He, like me and obviously others can not comprehend why other manufacturers have not followed suit as the implementation is relatively inexpensive, especially in a pre amp. Did not having 11.2 stop me from buying the Integra DHC 80.3? No. Do I think the Integra DHC 80.3 should be 11.2 enabled? Absolutely. The bottom line is that DSX has reviewed very well and we as audiophiles are all about getting the best audio experience possible, so why would we not want the option of having 11.2? In my opinion, there is no reason.

I'm not making excuses. I do understand why the CEO of Audyssey who agree with you.

Again everyone has a different definition if what "best audio experience" is.

Audyssey stated out trying to get us as close to reference as possible.

Then they created technologies to help maintain the relative balance of film reproduction when not listened to at reference level.

The advent if DSX, which steers and synthesizes audio to up mix the original source, IMO isn't the best audio experience, and in my mind is contrary to the ideals implemented in their original technologies.

I'm all about hearing things as intended. That is the best audio experience.

So I personally see no value in DSX or PLIIz.

Whike it may be heap to implement, don't forget that companies like Onkyo use the economy of common platforms to help increase their revenues.

Since there are no other companies rushing to market with 11.2, I can understand the lack of it in theses models. I'm sure is coming.

From my perspective, and from what I've been approached about and seen in regards to more playback channels, the trend is surely going to be using expansion. psyhoacoustic technologies rather that physical speakers.
post #1603 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I'm all about hearing things as intended. That is the best audio experience.

So I personally see no value in DSX or PLIIz.

I tend to fall where you are. I want accuracy if possible. (What the director intended). All of this extra channel stuff doesn't interest me. That is why I have stayed 5.1 for so long. I am considering going 7.1 since there seems to be enough material coming out to consider it.
post #1604 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesey74 View Post

I think a very small number of people want it and possibly a bigger number of people want it but can't physically accommodate it. I can see why Chris would be an advocate for it, of course, because he has an 11.1 technology (DSX) to sell

Whether it is the 'best audio experience possible' is a matter of opinion.

DSX height, for example, has a negative effect on the surround channels (by decreasing their output and decorrelating them) and creates an artificial bias towards the front soundstage. It works by deriving its information from the front L&R channels. Dolby PLIIz gives, IMO, a better height result because it derives its information from the surround channels, does not decorrelate these and thus preserves the 'envelope' or 'bubble' much better. You will notice with DSX height that the 'immersion' in a full surround sound field is considerably reduced when using DSX-H because of what it does to the surround channels (and because of the 'front loading' of the soundstage). If you have the ability to turn off all the speakers other than the Heights (eg if you use separate amps) you will be amazed to hear that much of the sound coming from the DSX height channels is a sort of inferior copy of what usually comes from the L&R channels. This is not the case with PLIIz where a much more diffuse ambient effect is achieved, albeit less spectacularly. DSX-H is like those very bright and forward speakers dealers sometimes demo - immediately 'impressive' but over the longer haul their faults become manifest.

Of course, many people may enjoy DSX and that is their preorogative, but it cannot be denied that it is moving well away from 'reference', which in itself fights the affirmation that it gives 'the best possible audio experience'. Many would argue that the best possible audio experience is the one that is closest to what the mixer intended you to hear - and that ain't DSX. (I see FM has commented similarly).

Similarly the experience that the wide channels of DSX give can often be achieved better by a more satisfactory placing of the L&R speakers and the Surrounds, which in itself can extend the 'envelope' to fill the gap that sometimes exists between the L&R and Surrounds.

Just a different perspective - there are no 'rights and wrongs'.
post #1605 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

I am a sub nut too N8 but right now I am trying a different route. Sold my LMS Ultra 18" pair awhile ago to use up my closeout subs that have been sitting around. Right now I have 8 of the NHT 10" and am about to install 8 of the ACI 12" subs to go along with my dual Mael-X 18's and single M-21. I am hoping the 10 and 12's kill in the mid-bass and the 21 and 18's bring the house down with ultra low bass.

If I am not heard from in a few weeks I am probable under the rubble of my home

Ya man, I know your setup, Everything but your new AC! 12's, I didn't know about them. I've seen your build logs. Us guys in the DIY are a special breed. People think we are crazy and that's just the way I like it. I personally don't even thing your system is overboard, if it's setup right, it will be effortless. Thats the point of us doing these huge ass systems, the sound of effortlessness is something that must be hear in person to understand.
I've setup about 30 pretty HQ systems since I've been calibrating and mass production subs and traditional speakers IMO just have no business in a HT setting.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #1606 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 PM

Liked: 10
Trying to decide against the 80.3 and Marantz 7005. Please help me with pro's and con's.

Thanks in advance.
post #1607 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfheaven79 View Post

Trying to decide against the 80.3 and Marantz 7005. Please help me with pro's and con's.

According to spec listings on the Audyssey site, the 80.3 has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 whereas the 7005 has Audyssey MultEQ XT, a step down. XT32 has 32 times the filter resolution for the satellites compared to XT, and 4 times the filter resolution for the subwoofer. For that reason alone I would choose the 80.3.

The following link has a comparison chart for the different flavors of Audyssey:

[url="http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq"]
post #1608 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

All you need to know is everyone here who has heard XT/32 thinks it is terrific and sounds much better than XT. The 80.3 has it, the 7005 does not. End of story.
post #1609 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Like the posters above me xt32 all the way.

I debated between the 7005 and dhc80.2/prsc5508. I went with the 7005 and it was just a real bad decision. Aside from 2ch music, the 7005 doesn't touch the Integra/onkyo when Auddysey is in play.
post #1610 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 PM

Hello, all. My present system is a 5.1 surround setup with dual SVS PB13 ultras, using a pioneer elite as a processor and a Sunfire Cinema grand signature seven amp. I have an 8 band parametric eq velodyne SMS-1 sending its room corrected signal to my 2 subs, presently.

I have a new 80.3 being delivered soon to upgrade and replace my preamplifier; therefore, I will be new to the Audyssey XT32 you have been discussing. If anyone is familiar with my bass eq (SMS 1), what is your view of keeping this component in addition to the bass correction I will be experiencing with the 80.3? I see that the Integra has two separate subwoofer outputs. If it is recommended to lose the SMS 1, can I assume each of my subs will have their own independent connection to these sub outs?

Thank you.
post #1611 of 4280 Old 03-15-2012, 10:56 PM

Had my 80.3 for a week now. My hard drive with all my music crashed a few days ago. Luckily I have all the original CDs. Since the 80.3 supports flac over Ethernet (my previous Onkyo did not) I figured I'd go that route when ripping the CDs.

They (MS, not Integra) don't make it easy to run flac. After way too much trouble I was finally able to get the flac files I ripped to show up correctly in my WMP music library and play without issue. When I go to play them on the Integra the the flac files shows up in the menus but when I try to play a song it says "can't play" and skips to the next song, and the next, etc... Everything looks and works fine on my PC. Everything looks on the Integra until I try to play. I've also tried WAV and WMA and they work fine. Flac is the only thing that isn't working.

The files I'm trying to play were ripped from the original CDs using dBpoweramp CD Ripper. This is my first attempt at streaming flac. Any ideas what I could be missing?

post #1612 of 4280 Old 03-16-2012, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I think a very small number of people want it and possibly a bigger number of people want it but can't physically accommodate it. I can see why Chris would be an advocate for it, of course, because he has an 11.1 technology (DSX) to sell

Whether it is the 'best audio experience possible' is a matter of opinion.

DSX height, for example, has a negative effect on the surround channels (by decreasing their output and decorrelating them) and creates an artificial bias towards the front soundstage. It works by deriving its information from the front L&R channels. Dolby PLIIz gives, IMO, a better height result because it derives its information from the surround channels, does not decorrelate these and thus preserves the 'envelope' or 'bubble' much better. You will notice with DSX height that the 'immersion' in a full surround sound field is considerably reduced when using DSX-H because of what it does to the surround channels (and because of the 'front loading' of the soundstage). If you have the ability to turn off all the speakers other than the Heights (eg if you use separate amps) you will be amazed to hear that much of the sound coming from the DSX height channels is a sort of inferior copy of what usually comes from the L&R channels. This is not the case with PLIIz where a much more diffuse ambient effect is achieved, albeit less spectacularly. DSX-H is like those very bright and forward speakers dealers sometimes demo - immediately 'impressive' but over the longer haul their faults become manifest.

Of course, many people may enjoy DSX and that is their preorogative, but it cannot be denied that it is moving well away from 'reference', which in itself fights the affirmation that it gives 'the best possible audio experience'. Many would argue that the best possible audio experience is the one that is closest to what the mixer intended you to hear - and that ain't DSX. (I see FM has commented similarly).

Similarly the experience that the wide channels of DSX give can often be achieved better by a more satisfactory placing of the L&R speakers and the Surrounds, which in itself can extend the 'envelope' to fill the gap that sometimes exists between the L&R and Surrounds.

Just a different perspective - there are no 'rights and wrongs'.

Where does Neo:X fit into all of this? I haven't gone 9.2 yet as I'm waiting till I find some matching speakers on audiogon or eBay, my speakers are an older generation not available new anymore.
post #1613 of 4280 Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post

Hello, all. My present system is a 5.1 surround setup with dual SVS PB13 ultras, using a pioneer elite as a processor and a Sunfire Cinema grand signature seven amp. I have an 8 band parametric eq velodyne SMS-1 sending its room corrected signal to my 2 subs, presently.

I have a new 80.3 being delivered soon to upgrade and replace my preamplifier; therefore, I will be new to the Audyssey XT32 you have been discussing. If anyone is familiar with my bass eq (SMS 1), what is your view of keeping this component in addition to the bass correction I will be experiencing with the 80.3? I see that the Integra has two separate subwoofer outputs. If it is recommended to lose the SMS 1, can I assume each of my subs will have their own independent connection to these sub outs?

Thank you.

I'm sure most will tell you that your SMS-1 is not necessary as XT32 does an amazing job EQing your sub. However if you intend on keeping it, it's best to run your SMS calibration first and then run XT32.

If it were me I would sell the SMS-1 to recoup some off the money I've spent to get XT32. I sure there are plenty of MCACC users in need of a SubEQ.
post #1614 of 4280 Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post

Had my 80.3 for a week now. My hard drive with all my music crashed a few days ago. Luckily I have all the original CDs. Since the 80.3 supports flac over Ethernet (my previous Onkyo did not) I figured I'd go that route when ripping the CDs.

They (MS, not Integra) don't make it easy to run flac. After way too much trouble I was finally able to get the flac files I ripped to show up correctly in my WMP music library and play without issue. When I go to play them on the Integra the the flac files shows up in the menus but when I try to play a song it says "can't play" and skips to the next song, and the next, etc... Everything looks and works fine on my PC. Everything looks on the Integra until I try to play. I've also tried WAV and WMA and they work fine. Flac is the only thing that isn't working.

The files I'm trying to play were ripped from the original CDs using dBpoweramp CD Ripper. This is my first attempt at streaming flac. Any ideas what I could be missing?

I could not get WMP to find all my files so installed another server Serviio. It recognizes all my media files.
post #1615 of 4280 Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I could not get WMP to find all my files so installed another server Serviio. It recognizes all my media files.

Yes getting WMP to recognize my flac files correctly as music files and populated in my music library was not easy. I was hoping if that I could get the files in my library and playable in WMP I would be able to stream them. Sadly that's not working yet.

I wanted to avoid using a 3rd party server app if at all possible. I messed with a couple a few years ago and they weren't very stable: music streaming would pause (for buffering?) constantly, server connection would reset itself constantly, etc... Ever since I upgraded to Win7 streaming (WAV files) has been rock solid. But then again the reason I was using 3rd party sever apps back then was because streaming from WMP on WinXP was even more unstable.

Is there anyone that is able to stream flac files to their Integra using only WMP and no 3rd party server app installed on their PC?

post #1616 of 4280 Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
DLNA servers have come a long way in the past several years. I've never cared for WMP but did try it first when setting up the server, it continued to disappoint me. For music files I sometimes use Foobar2000 as my server as it has options Serviio does not.
post #1617 of 4280 Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

DLNA servers have come a long way in the past several years. I've never cared for WMP but did try it first when setting up the server, it continued to disappoint me. For music files I sometimes use Foobar2000 as my server as it has options Serviio does not.

I'd like to limit the number or servers as much as possible. Assuming I can get it to work, all my files will be 44.1khz 16bit flac right now anyway. I may get higher resolution files in the future. Can you recommend a single server app that should support that?

post #1618 of 4280 Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Hi guys, what is the equivalent of "Audyssey", "Audyssey Reference" and "Audyssey Flat" on our 80.3. I know we have Audyssey movie, music and off to choose from, which corresponds to which?

Also, I have to run Audyssey XT32 again, accidently reset the 80.3....no biggie, was planning to run it again anyway..... I read all 11 pages of the Audyssey setup guide and just wanted confirnation that I should disable my SUBWOOFER internal crossover before running XT32.

Thanks

Paul
post #1619 of 4280 Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Hi guys, what is the equivalent of "Audyssey", "Audyssey Reference" and "Audyssey Flat" on our 80.3. I know we have Audyssey movie, music and off to choose from, which corresponds to which?

Also, I have to run Audyssey XT32 again, accidently reset the 80.3....no biggie, was planning to run it again anyway..... I read all 11 pages of the Audyssey setup guide and just wanted confirnation that I should disable my SUBWOOFER internal crossover before running XT32.

Thanks

Paul

The sub's internal crossover should always be disabled or set to the highest freak if disabling is not an option anytime you are using bass mgt in your processor.

Regarding the Audyssey curves, I thought the set up guide did a good job of explaining the Onkyo/Integra approach. Or possibly I read it somewhere else.

At a high level, the standard Audyssey or Audyssey Reference curve rolls off the top end and equates to the Movie curve on the Integra. Audyssey Flat equates to the Music curve.

post #1620 of 4280 Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

Where does Neo:X fit into all of this? I haven't gone 9.2 yet as I'm waiting till I find some matching speakers on audiogon or eBay, my speakers are an older generation not available new anymore.

Although my 5509 has Neo:X I haven't really tried to evaluate it. On a very brief listen, using the Height speakers only, I wasn't all that impressed. But I emphasise that I haven't given it a thorough evaluation.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page