1Likes

post #1621 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

I'm sure most will tell you that your SMS-1 is not necessary as XT32 does an amazing job EQing your sub. However if you intend on keeping it, it's best to run your SMS calibration first and then run XT32.

If it were me I would sell the SMS-1 to recoup some off the money I've spent to get XT32. I sure there are plenty of MCACC users in need of a SubEQ.

Thanks, what you advise makes sense to me. Perhaps the only thing I'll miss is the SMS graphic display of the frequency response of my bass, kind of a reassuring confirmation of signal correction. OTOH, simplified wiring and resale sounds good to me. Appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post

At a high level, the standard Audyssey or Audyssey Reference curve rolls off the top end and equates to the Movie curve on the Integra. Audyssey Flat equates to the Music curve.

that is what my understanding is of MUSIC/MOvie curves.

What do you guys usually use, Movie or Music? i know i have to check it out myself, but curious.
post #1623 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CElee View Post

What do you guys usually use, Movie or Music? i know i have to check it out myself, but curious.

I usually use the movie curve, just as an FYI if you use a THX mode the proper curve to use is the music/flat curve to avoid the double roll off on the high end. XX09 was the first series that Onkyo allowed the user to select either the reference or flat albeit with different naming. Before the only way one can select the flat curve for Onkyo/Integra was to select a THX mode.
post #1624 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I've only had my 80.3 for a week, but i have found that Music is a must when listening to 2 channel music. Music seems to lose a lot of it's detail especially in the higher frequencies when using the Movie curve; to me it actually sounds a lot like my old Onkyo TX-NR906 with normal MultEq, which sounded great until I heard the 80.3.

I listen to all my music only in two channel (stereo mode) so I'm not sure if the same would hold true for multi-channel.

I haven't tried listening to movies with the Music curve tough I think they may sound too bright. That being said I also sometimes think the Movie curve rolls the the higher frequencies too much. Last weekend watching Cowboys and Aliens (blu ray) it seemed like the special effects needed more "life", not sure how to describe it. I like the THX Ultra2 Cinema mode (with "Preserve THX settings" set to No in the THX menu); I turned off THX ReEq about halfway through and that added a little more on the top end and gave it the added "life" it needed. Other movies and TV shows have been fine without turning THX ReEq off.

post #1625 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post

Hello, all. My present system is a 5.1 surround setup with dual SVS PB13 ultras, using a pioneer elite as a processor and a Sunfire Cinema grand signature seven amp. I have an 8 band parametric eq velodyne SMS-1 sending its room corrected signal to my 2 subs, presently.

I have an SMS-1. I did a factory reset on it and left it in the loop when I setup the 80.3. The Aud XT32 calibration did a very good job, I've had no desire to make adjustments with the SMS-1.

I suggest you do the same, as it would not take long to remove the SMS-1 from the system and re-run Audyssey should you decide it's unnecessary. And you'll probably be re-running Audyssey the next time you upgrade the 80.3's firmware.

-james
post #1626 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Hello, all. My present system is a 5.1 surround setup with dual SVS PB13 ultras, using a pioneer elite as a processor and a Sunfire Cinema grand signature seven amp. I have an 8 band parametric eq velodyne SMS-1 sending its room corrected signal to my 2 subs, presently.

I have a new 80.3 being delivered soon to upgrade and replace my preamplifier; therefore, I will be new to the Audyssey XT32 you have been discussing. If anyone is familiar with my bass eq (SMS 1), what is your view of keeping this component in addition to the bass correction I will be experiencing with the 80.3? I see that the Integra has two separate subwoofer outputs. If it is recommended to lose the SMS 1, can I assume each of my subs will have their own independent connection to these sub outs?

Thank you.

Your better off removing the SMS-1 from your system and using the dual sub outputs of the 80.3 directly to the subs. If you keep the SMS-1 in your system you will need to manually adjust phase and levels of your 2 subs since you will only be using 1 sub out into the SMS-1.

You should try just using the SMS-1 to verify how well XT32 does on your subs. You can still use the SMS-1's graph without having your subs run through it, you just need to have the video and audio output of the SMS-1 into the 80.3.

I still have 2 SMS-1's, 1 for each system even though I have XT32 for both. I only use the SMS-1 for my DIY subs as they are sealed and need some boost down low. Aside from that boost though XT32 does such a great job I do not need any more corrections from the SMS-1.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #1627 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure most will tell you that your SMS-1 is not necessary as XT32 does an amazing job EQing your sub. However if you intend on keeping it, it's best to run your SMS calibration first and then run XT32.

If it were me I would sell the SMS-1 to recoup some off the money I've spent to get XT32. I sure there are plenty of MCACC users in need of a SubEQ.

The highlighted section is not correct. If he does plan on keeping the SMS-1 he needs to run XT32 first, then make any needed corrections with the SMS-1 after. XT32 does an excellent job on the subs but it's defeating the purpose if you let the SMS-1 correct what XT32 would do just fine on it's own.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #1628 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There is a new firmware available on the 5009. Maybe the 80.3 got one too?

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #1629 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I debated between the 7005 and dhc80.2/prsc5508. I went with the 7005 and it was just a real bad decision. Aside from 2ch music, the 7005 doesn't touch the Integra/onkyo when Auddysey is in play.

what do you mean "aside from 2ch music"? The AV7005 performed better for 2ch music? Why was it such a bad decision (other than Audyssey XT32)?
post #1630 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Your better off removing the SMS-1 from your system and using the dual sub outputs of the 80.3 directly to the subs. If you keep the SMS-1 in your system you will need to manually adjust phase and levels of your 2 subs since you will only be using 1 sub out into the SMS-1.

You should try just using the SMS-1 to verify how well XT32 does on your subs. You can still use the SMS-1's graph without having your subs run through it, you just need to have the video and audio output of the SMS-1 into the 80.3.

I still have 2 SMS-1's, 1 for each system even though I have XT32 for both. I only use the SMS-1 for my DIY subs as they are sealed and need some boost down low. Aside from that boost though XT32 does such a great job I do not need any more corrections from the SMS-1.

Very helpful. I especially like the brilliant idea of still using the sms graph feature.
post #1631 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:

The highlighted section is not correct. If he does plan on keeping the SMS-1 he needs to run XT32 first, then make any needed corrections with the SMS-1 after. XT32 does an excellent job on the subs but it's defeating the purpose if you let the SMS-1 correct what XT32 would do just fine on it's own.

So what you are saying is that it makes sense to use the sms last in the processing chain in order to make the best refinements in bass correction.
post #1632 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

what do you mean "aside from 2ch music"? The AV7005 performed better for 2ch music? Why was it such a bad decision (other than Audyssey XT32)?

in direct mode with no audyssey. Imho i prefered the Marantz over the Integra. But i dont use my Integra to decode 2ch music.
post #1633 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So what you are saying is that it makes sense to use the sms last in the processing chain in order to make the best refinements in bass correction.

Right.

The SMS-1 should only be used after XT32 if it is needed at all. If your subwoofers need correction and you use the SMS-1 first it defeats the purpose of having XT32. If XT32 can do the same job or better on your subs than the SMS-1 can be taken out of the signal chain.

There is one benefit to keeping the SMS-1 inline with your subs besides using the visual graph, the presets. I do like playing my subs at a higher level for movies and turning them down for music. I use the SMS-1 jazz setting for music and the Action movie setting for movies which bumps up the volume another 5 and adds a boost in the 30hz range.

Personally I can't think of a reason why I would ever get rid of my SMS-1 unless something easier and more powerful came out. It's mainly because I enjoy making my own subwoofers. The SMS-1 gives me the quickest way to add boost and a high pass filter and see the changes quickly and easily using it's excellent on screen display. If I just used normal commercial subs though it would be hard to justify the added expense of the SMS-1 though.

post #1634 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

in direct mode with no audyssey. Imho i prefered the Marantz over the Integra. But i dont use my Integra to decode 2ch music.

I had a Marantz AV7005 for a couple of months and I would agree, the Marantz was better for pure 2 channel but that was it. I could see how some might prefer the Marantz all around though, it has a warmer laid back sound. I thought it was too laid back and boring in comparison to the Onkyo for movies.

post #1635 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Having been through quite a bit of acoustics literature myself, I think calling them movie or music curves is erroneous. My 80.2 does not have those curves, nor is a flat curve provided in my version of Audyssey Pro, but I can get close to that by drawing my own reference curve. In any case, I believe that for listening in the reverberant field, as I do in my room and most others do too, the standard Audyssey target curve roll off is correct for music listening, as well as movies. What's more it sounds best to me that way, based on my recollections from the many live classical concerts I attend.

My only quibble with the standard or reference target curve is the narrow dip at 2k Hz. I do not believe it belongs there theoretically, nor does it sound best on my system. Fortunately, Pro can eliminate it by just unchecking a box. Otherwise, the Audyssey or Reference curve sounds really terrific to me for both music and movies.
post #1636 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

It is physically last.

Quote:

The SMS-1 should only be used after XT32 if it is needed at all. If your subwoofers need correction and you use the SMS-1 first it defeats the purpose of having XT32. If XT32 can do the same job or better on your subs than the SMS-1 can be taken out of the signal chain.

There is one benefit to keeping the SMS-1 inline with your subs besides using the visual graph, the presets. I do like playing my subs at a higher level for movies and turning them down for music. I use the SMS-1 jazz setting for music and the Action movie setting for movies which bumps up the volume another 5 and adds a boost in the 30hz range.

Personally I can't think of a reason why I would ever get rid of my SMS-1 unless something easier and more powerful came out. It's mainly because I enjoy making my own subwoofers. The SMS-1 gives me the quickest way to add boost and a high pass filter and see the changes quickly and easily using it's excellent on screen display. If I just used normal commercial subs though it would be hard to justify the added expense of the SMS-1 though.

First, the SMS-1 must be in the circuit (even if set for flat) when using Audyssey as it introduces latency for which Audyssey must compensate.

Second, the SMS-1 does not have to be in the signal circuit in order to use it for measurement only. Feed the test signal into a line-level input on the prepro and see what the mic says.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1637 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

It is physically last.

First, the SMS-1 must be in the circuit (even if set for flat) when using Audyssey as it introduces latency for which Audyssey must compensate.

Second, the SMS-1 does not have to be in the signal circuit in order to use it for measurement only. Feed the test signal into a line-level input on the prepro and see what the mic says.

I probably didn't make it clear but I was referring to adding any corrections with the SMS-1, not it's place in the signal circuit.

Someone had mentioned using the SMS-1 to correct the subs prior to running Audyssey which I do not feel is correct. He would of course have to re-run Audyssey after the SMS-1 has been removed due to the latency as you stated and any volume changes.

I did mention in a prior post that the SMS-1 can be used as a measurement tool without being in the signal path.

post #1638 of 4277 Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

There is a new firmware available on the 5009. Maybe the 80.3 got one too?

Apparently there is new firmware available for the 80.3, just not posted yet to the Integra site. I just installed new firmware on my 80.3 via the internet, Version 1071-0600-0210-5103. Previous version was 1061-0500-0110-3101.

I tried, but wasn't able to purchase a Pro license key for the 80.3 this evening. Audyssey has yet to list DHC-80.3 on their product support list.
post #1639 of 4277 Old 03-17-2012, 04:36 AM

hi guys,

i have been looking a dealer who can provide me a competitive price. but i could not find out anyone so far.

i know that no price talk on the forum. so if you have any suggestion, your pm on this case would be appreciated.

regards
post #1640 of 4277 Old 03-17-2012, 06:08 AM
ed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTTC04 View Post

Apparently there is new firmware available for the 80.3, just not posted yet to the Integra site. I just installed new firmware on my 80.3 via the internet, Version 1071-0600-0210-5103. Previous version was 1061-0500-0110-3101.

Would the Onkyo 5009 firmware update file for USB installation be 100% identical to the update file for the 80.3 so that it could be used on an 80.3 USB install?
post #1641 of 4277 Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1 View Post

Would the Onkyo 5009 firmware update file for USB installation be 100% identical to the update file for the 80.3 so that it could be used on an 80.3 USB install?

Probably not, even though the hardware is the same. I think the features like pure audio is not, and also the file naming scheme is different.
post #1642 of 4277 Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

I probably didn't make it clear but I was referring to adding any corrections with the SMS-1, not it's place in the signal circuit.

OK.

Quote:
Someone had mentioned using the SMS-1 to correct the subs prior to running Audyssey which I do not feel is correct. He would of course have to re-run Audyssey after the SMS-1 has been removed due to the latency as you stated and any volume changes.

Right. Same advice applies when one adds the SMS-1.

Quote:
I did mention in a prior post that the SMS-1 can be used as a measurement tool without being in the signal path.

I have not followed all the posts in this thread assiduously, so my comment may have been redundant. Still, it doesn't hurt to remind folks.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1643 of 4277 Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
post #1644 of 4277 Old 03-17-2012, 09:55 AM

ed1,

According to the uk.onkyo.com site the firmware update for the PR-SC5509 is the same version number (1071-0600-0210-5103) as is showing on my 80.3. However, I have no way knowing if it is identical. I suspect it is. You can call Integra technical support and see if they can confirm it's the same.
post #1645 of 4277 Old 03-17-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Sorry if I was wrong but my understanding is always to run other processes first before running XT32.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries...ass-correction
post #1646 of 4277 Old 03-17-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry if I was wrong but my understanding is always to run other processes first before running XT32.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries...ass-correction

In the question asked he was wondering: "how can I use Audyssey's management for my speakers only (so except for the sub) so that I can use the Velodyne's correction" The person asking the question clearly wanted to use the DD18's room EQ over the Audyssey in the Marantz he was referencing which if I recall correctly is Audyssey XT, not XT32 with SubEQ.

There is no reason why you can't use the SMS-1 or any other bass EQ prior to Audyssey. XT32 includes SubEQ which is more advanced than the SMS-1 IMO, my recommendation was to use the more advanced EQ on the subs. There are some older implementations of Audyssey that would benefit from the SMS-1 but I personally don't think XT32 is one of them.

post #1647 of 4277 Old 03-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:

In the question asked he was wondering: "how can I use Audyssey's management for my speakers only (so except for the sub) so that I can use the Velodyne's correction" The person asking the question clearly wanted to use the DD18's room EQ over the Audyssey in the Marantz he was referencing which if I recall correctly is Audyssey XT, not XT32 with SubEQ.

There is no reason why you can't use the SMS-1 or any other bass EQ prior to Audyssey. XT32 includes SubEQ which is more advanced than the SMS-1 IMO, my recommendation was to use the more advanced EQ on the subs. There are some older implementations of Audyssey that would benefit from the SMS-1 but I personally don't think XT32 is one of them.

That's my recommendation too...that's why I said to sell his SMS-1. XT32 does an amazing job EQing the sub.

Although I do believe I've read somewhere that Kal was able to get the flattest response with a subwoofer by using PBK and then using XT32.
post #1648 of 4277 Old 03-17-2012, 10:27 PM

Liked: 18
Would you guys recommend pairing the DHC 80.3 with the Proceed Amp 5?

My speakers are Totem Rainmakers and Rainmaker Center. Thanks.
post #1649 of 4277 Old 03-17-2012, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Probably not, even though the hardware is the same. I think the features like pure audio is not, and also the file naming scheme is different.

Do a binary compare with both firmware files.
I think they match as there is only one firmware world wide for 5509, 5009, 3009. 80.3 etc.
post #1650 of 4277 Old 03-18-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek99 View Post

Had my 80.3 for a week now. My hard drive with all my music crashed a few days ago. Luckily I have all the original CDs. Since the 80.3 supports flac over Ethernet (my previous Onkyo did not) I figured I'd go that route when ripping the CDs.

They (MS, not Integra) don't make it easy to run flac. After way too much trouble I was finally able to get the flac files I ripped to show up correctly in my WMP music library and play without issue. When I go to play them on the Integra the the flac files shows up in the menus but when I try to play a song it says "can't play" and skips to the next song, and the next, etc... Everything looks and works fine on my PC. Everything looks on the Integra until I try to play. I've also tried WAV and WMA and they work fine. Flac is the only thing that isn't working.

The files I'm trying to play were ripped from the original CDs using dBpoweramp CD Ripper. This is my first attempt at streaming flac. Any ideas what I could be missing?

The answer is to simplify. If you use FLAC then that means you care about quality. That means no quiet transcoding by DLNA severs.

The key is to remember each song is a file in a folder tree that you designed and control. Use a htpc with Foobar 2000. Then view the folders with the album view.

I always set the Windows 7 PC to 44.1 PCM at 24bits except when playing back DVD audio tracks.
Perfect playback with no issues.

See how simply the solution is?

Does anyone know how to playback 15.1 channels from 2 with the latest Hocus-Pocus mode?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page