post #1711 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^

this...

won't have to worry about amplifiers then either...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azvipers View Post

The current Oremote app works really well. Worth the $4.99. The new Oremote app is in the review process and should be released soon. Check out his Facebook page.

Thanks Azvipers and Keith for the app suggestion.....I will download it. Now I will finally be able to control my music from the backyard.

Paul
post #1713 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

If your going with Seaton Sound subs have you thought about his speakers? Just because they are designed for effortless movie sound doesn't mean they can't play music just as good as the Aerials or Paradigms.

To be completely honest, I haven't looked into his speakers. I looked at the JTR's, and if I had the money for a separate music system, I'd get the JTR's in a heartbeat for home theater. But I want the system for both, and would probably be using them for music a bit more then movies. But when movie night with a bunch of friends comes around, I wanna get blown away. For something like the JTR's and Seaton Sound speakers, I'd have to hear them first before I buy, and thats the hard part. I want to A/B/C them with the Aerials and Paradigms. The mid range on the Aerials is raved about, I don't hear anybody rave like that about many speakers, especially ones costing much less and designed to play very loud. With that being said, I STILL want to audition these speakers. It's a large sum of money, and what I buy, I will have with me for a long, long time. I want to make sure I make the right choice.
post #1714 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

James, I am using a Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to R/L Stereo Audio Converter from Monoprice that has worked flawlessly for me. The Apple TV outputs audio simultaneously from the HDMI and Toslink so I just run the HDMI to the Denon for zone 1 and then the analog out from the adapter to the corresponding analog input on the receiver for zone 2. I did this on my Onkyo 1007 as well. Works great! iTunes by the pool! Hope that helps.
Bruce

Thanks and not to drag OT but what Denon do you have that won't handle the 2 channel PCM via toslink from the appletv? A non CI I'm suspecting?

Edit: perhaps you were just giving me a future heads up as I already own a Denon 4311. Thanks
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #1715 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Not sure the current remote does much for bd or sat players. I think that may be a work in progress.
A number of sat boxes have wi if apps :; direct tv e.g. Fios has a wifi remote as well.
Oremote. Is great for handling the integra units.

That is true. The current app does not work with Directv. It does the basic functions for my Oppo player.
post #1716 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

To be completely honest, I haven't looked into his speakers. I looked at the JTR's, and if I had the money for a separate music system, I'd get the JTR's in a heartbeat for home theater. But I want the system for both, and would probably be using them for music a bit more then movies. But when movie night with a bunch of friends comes around, I wanna get blown away. For something like the JTR's and Seaton Sound speakers, I'd have to hear them first before I buy, and thats the hard part. I want to A/B/C them with the Aerials and Paradigms. The mid range on the Aerials is raved about, I don't hear anybody rave like that about many speakers, especially ones costing much less and designed to play very loud. With that being said, I STILL want to audition these speakers. It's a large sum of money, and what I buy, I will have with me for a long, long time. I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Just a FYI, JTR speakers are made for music, it just so happens they works awesome in HT's also. They are music speakers first but Jeff has been marketing them as HT speakers because they sell so well.

I've had paradigm studio 100's and Sig 8's. My current JTR T12's and T8's are so much better in every way over both the Paradigms, it is mind blowing. and I LOVED my sig 8's too. I will never again EVER have a traditional speaker in my HT room, they are that much better IMO.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #1717 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah I know they were designed for music, but so where my JBL PRX615m's and PRX618s-XLF's. And they sound fantastic. They just lack the same clarity that hi-fi speakers have, especially in the mid-range region. BUT there is something about them that I've never heard any conventional home theater speaker do. They have a HUGE sound, and give you the feeling of a live performance, probably because its the same stuff used for actual live performances. It sounds so upfront, dynamic, powerful, and limitless, which I love. I'm assuming this is what everyone loves about their JTR's, and I'm sure I'd love them to death myself. But as far as that mid-range clarity and detail I'm looking for, I'm simply saying I'd want to hear them before I buy them. Unfortunately, I can't find anybody around me willing to give me an audition. I'd love to hear them.
post #1718 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Just a FYI, JTR speakers are made for music, it just so happens they works awesome in HT's also. They are music speakers first but Jeff has been marketing them as HT speakers because they sell so well.

I've had paradigm studio 100's and Sig 8's. My current JTR T12's and T8's are so much better in every way over both the Paradigms, it is mind blowing. and I LOVED my sig 8's too. I will never again EVER have a traditional speaker in my HT room, they are that much better IMO.

What's the difference between a music speaker and HT speaker?
post #1719 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
post #1720 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Good question. Similarly, why when somebody asks for advice on what to buy, do people ask "What are you going to be using the system for mostly? Movies or music?"

I'm thinking people associate home theater speakers as dynamic, powerful, loud and clear sounding, and music speakers as super clear, accurate, completely un-colored, dynamic, very transparent, and conveying all micro-details with extraordinary intelligibility and accuracy.

Me personally, I have yet to hear a speaker that can sound like a speaker such as the Aerial Acoustic 7T, but able to play as loudly without clipping or distorting as my JBL PRX600 PA speakers I use for mobile DJ-ing.
post #1721 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Living in the middle of nowhere in the English countryside, I can only dream of fibre optic Internet connections! Way to go, Terry.

See that vague tinge of green in my post here?

Keith, ... maybe just a, (We-Bit) of "Green".

The U-Verse Fiber Optic is killer for real.
My wife works at Home so this really has worked out great.
We have had it now for like 90-days or so.
It is Fasssssssstttttttttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

@terry...

i bet you are like a kid waiting for christmas morning to come...

that is gonna be one SWEEEEEEET setup...

Yes, and it is really now getting close to being completed.
The Runco is installed and Calibrated.

Maybe tomorrow will be the day for me to take over the, (Remotes).

Terry
post #1722 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Nothing but people don't seem to like pro speakers for some reason because they think they don't work in a home environment, which isn't true but people seem to believe it.
Jeff speakers were designed for live audio, people started using them in the HT so now he brands them as a pro and a HT line, same speaker will handles, ploe mount ext for the live gig guys.

traditional vs high efficiency, yes there is a difference, one can use 10 watts at reference and the other can use 200 watts. Of course there are some high sensitivity home speakers such klipsch, Zu, jbl etc but most anything in a store is 92db's or less. They gotta get the amp market people to spend money too!!!

I should have said Live band/DJ music, not just music in general.

post #1723 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nothing but people don't seem to like pro speakers for some reason because they think they don't work in a home environment, which isn't true but people seem to believe it.
Jeff speakers were designed for live audio, people started using them in the HT so now he brands them as a pro and a HT line, same speaker will handles, ploe mount ext for the live gig guys.

traditional vs high efficiency, yes there is a difference, one can use 10 watts at reference and the other can use 200 watts. Of course there are some high sensitivity home speakers such klipsch, Zu, jbl etc but most anything in a store is 92db's or less. They gotta get the amp market people to spend money too!!!

I should have said Live band/DJ music, not just music in general.

I use my pro audio speakers in my home and love it! It depends on my mood and what I want to listen to. Hell, I've had friends over and have a 10 foot truss set up, complete with lighting, fog machine, my 2 18 inch subs with matching tops shaking the neighborhood and loved it.

Check out my dining room when I felt like playing one night

post #1724 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use my pro audio speakers in my home and love it! It depends on my mood and what I want to listen to. Hell, I've had friends over and have a 10 foot truss set up, complete with lighting, fog machine, my 2 18 inch subs with matching tops shaking the neighborhood and loved it.

Check out my dining room when I felt like playing one night

Thats AWESOME LOL!!!!

I agree that if you are intending on 2 channel listening only, the JTR and seatons are not the best choice only because they are meant to be run with a sub and sound the best with one. I guess thats one thing the Sig 8's did better than the JTR's but to be honest, I NEVER listen to music just 2 channel, heck I almost never listen to music on my HT at all. It gets done upstairs on my MA RX6's and my PC system.

post #1725 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thats AWESOME LOL!!!!

I agree that if you are intending on 2 channel listening only, the JTR and seatons are not the best choice only because they are meant to be run with a sub and sound the best with one. I guess thats one thing the Sig 8's did better than the JTR's but to be honest, I NEVER listen to music just 2 channel, heck I almost never listen to music on my HT at all. It gets done upstairs on my MA RX6's and my PC system.

Thank you lol

I do listen to 2 channel music, but usually do use a sub since speakers such as the S8's, and 7T's can't do the same job as a dedicated sub at the lowest frequencies. I do listen to 2 channel music, but also 5 channel music with concert DVD's and such. The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD in DTS being one of my favorites. The clarity of them playing the acoustics guitars at the beginning of "Hotel California" is something that can really be enjoyed on a speaker such as the S8 or 7T. Not that it can't on a JTR or my JBL's, but the insane amount of clarity and texture from these speakers make it so enjoyable and really "special" for lack of a better word.
post #1726 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

nothing wrong with listening to 2 channel with a sub...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #1727 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Could not recommend the seatons more highly, now I can't stop buying them
9 and counting - detail, depth, imaging - dynamics to die for

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #1728 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

if i did not love my salks so much, i would have catalysts in here...

- chris

post #1729 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

If I ever upgrade my JTR's, Seatons or Danelys will be the 2 on my list! Though I'm not a fan of self powered speakers, if Mark would offer his cat's non-powered, I may be inclined to try a set out. I hate paying for and amp when I could buy/make one with 2 times the power for half the money.

post #1730 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 07:54 PM

Just noticed that the pro license for the 80.3 is now available on the Audyssey site. I'll give it a try over the weekend.
post #1731 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven More View Post

Just noticed that the pro license for the 80.3 is now available on the Audyssey site. I'll give it a try over the weekend.

Will try it tonight
post #1732 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

Gee, I only have 8KW of Seatons! (But am waiting for the 240V HP upgrade to my subs) 3 Cat 12s for the LCRs & wishing that I could replace the four Polk 10Bs in my rear channels. (W/ more Seatons) I am having a hard time with the patience until the HT is completed.
Note: I do more music than movies.

--Carl
post #1733 of 4295 Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Not sure the current remote does much for bd or sat players. I think that may be a work in progress.
A number of sat boxes have wi if apps :; direct tv e.g. Fios has a wifi remote as well.

oRemote is pretty much limited to what it can tell the AVR to do over the network. At this point, the AVR is limited to talking to a few other devices: RI iPod dock, Universal Port devices, HDMI-CEC DVD/BD players, HDMI-CEC TV's (though they support this, I have not been able to get it to work), and the 2012's look like they may support an RI-enabled CD changer.

The cable box "might" be controllable in the future, but that depends on the support Onkyo is willing to put in the receiver. If they put it in, I will. The app does not try to be a universal remote, it just tries to be an Onkyo/Integra remote to the best of its (or my) ability. I am adding support for network control of *one* non-Onkyo device and that is Oppo BD players. That is as far as I am willing to go with it though, just too many things out there and the app will not scale up well trying to be a jack of all trades. There's other apps for that - like iRule.
post #1734 of 4295 Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven More View Post

sweet
now to find the time and get everybody out of the house

post #1735 of 4295 Old 03-22-2012, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

Gee, I only have 8KW of Seatons! (But am waiting for the 240V HP upgrade to my subs) 3 Cat 12s for the LCRs & wishing that I could replace the four Polk 10Bs in my rear channels. (W/ more Seatons) I am having a hard time with the patience until the HT is completed.
Note: I do more music than movies.

how much longer?
I'm thinking of adding 2 SubMersive F2's for rear speaker stands and be done with it

post #1736 of 4295 Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I have to agree, I dowloaded the ORemote yesterday and it works really well with all the 80.3 functions, however I could not get it to do anything with my Satellite box (BELL Expressview = Dishnetwork). I did not get a chance to try and control my Oppo 93, so I can't comment on that.
Is there something that I missed in the set up or is there a control feature that I have to activate in order to use some basic commands on my Sat box?

On another note, what Internet radio stations do you guys use? I turned on vTuner in the [NET] mode feature and accessed a big local Toronto station 102.1, but the sound quality (Stereo) was horrible the 80.3 AM/FM tuner has WAY BETTER sound.

Any help you guys can provide is appreciated.

Paul
post #1737 of 4295 Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Good question. Similarly, why when somebody asks for advice on what to buy, do people ask "What are you going to be using the system for mostly? Movies or music?"

I'm thinking people associate home theater speakers as dynamic, powerful, loud and clear sounding, and music speakers as super clear, accurate, completely un-colored, dynamic, very transparent, and conveying all micro-details with extraordinary intelligibility and accuracy.

Me personally, I have yet to hear a speaker that can sound like a speaker such as the Aerial Acoustic 7T, but able to play as loudly without clipping or distorting as my JBL PRX600 PA speakers I use for mobile DJ-ing.

You could start with the Wilson Maxx or Alexandria, but bring a fat wallet. I am sure there are others among expensive "audiophile music speakers".

Yes, I think most people associate movie speakers with the ability to provide prodigious output levels, especially in the bass. Music speakers are associated with greater purity and delicacy. But, to me good sound is good sound and faithfulness to the original source is the ticket for both movies and music. Music is most important to me, and I will take accuracy over high output levels any day. As it is, my "delicate, refined" electrostat hybrid audiophile music speakers can play much louder than I am comfortable with in a 24 x 17 room, even on movies without noticeable distortion. But, my tolerance for sheer loudness may be less than someone else's.
post #1738 of 4295 Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I agree. I don't want that artificial "edge" high efficiency speakers convey. I want music within movies to sound as good as music by itself.
post #1739 of 4295 Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

On another note, what Internet radio stations do you guys use? I turned on vTuner in the [NET] mode feature and accessed a big local Toronto station 102.1, but the sound quality (Stereo) was horrible the 80.3 AM/FM tuner has WAY BETTER sound.

Any help you guys can provide is appreciated.

Paul

Gee - there are about 20,000 available so it's hard to make recommendations. It's easier to manage them if you use the computer interface via a browser.

Go to http://onkyo.vtuner.com/setupapp/onk...Err=sp1&sAuth= and create an account. You'll need the Onkyo ID number for your unit:

1. From the remote control or the receiver, navigate to the Internet Radio menu, and navigate to the right
2. Navigate down until you see the ID #

WRT SQ, try selecting those that are in the 'High Quality' selections - the SQ is very good then. You can add them to your Favourites using the web interface in your browser - your unit connects to that site when you use the net radio stuff so any changes you make in the browser are immediately reflected in your unit. The browser makes it so much easier to do it.
post #1740 of 4295 Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I agree. I don't want that artificial "edge" high efficiency speakers convey. I want music within movies to sound as good as music by itself.

Exactly. I'm not sure if that edge and the high efficiency are related, but I know the compression drivers tend to have that effect. But with high efficiency speakers, compression drivers are usually used.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page