Integra DHC-80.3 - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 4277 Old 10-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
nismo604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb View Post

I just received my 80.3 a few days ago and have been playing around with it. I sold my 80.2 a month ago to get this unit, overall I am still impressed. There seem to be less pops and clicks with this unit. I got them with my old unit when my wife and I would watch DVR'd shows, and I haven't really noticed anything over the past few nights.

I have watch 1.5 movies so far, and surround effects seem to be even better. I am only running a 5.1 system but my surrounds and fronts seem more in sync than before. If this unit could give you a visual readout of the XT32 results, it would make it my favorite. Heck, I would pay an extra $400 or $500 if they would just include it in the preamp.

I am a dealer for both the Integra and the Marantz AV7005 and this unit is clearly superior, but it isn't an apples to apples comparison because of price.

I just bought a 3009 and I'm having an issue with DTS sources. It seems that DTS will only output at 7.1 for me even though it's a 5.1 source. I have selected straight decode so no post processing to add the SB speaker. Can you see if your Integra is the same, thanks.
nismo604 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 4277 Old 10-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Member
 
versabar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Yes Bill, Thats all there is to it...

Computers and network devices have come a long way - no configuring anything on this unit - plug and play.... After you plug in a Cat5 cable basically the 80.3 will pull an IP address from the router, and will also have instant access to the internet, which the music/media sites are preloaded to automatically find. Its that easy...


Whats even cooler - if you have an Ipod/Iphone or Android device - this unit comes with an app that will automatically find your 80.3 and you can control a few various functions with it via WiFi... Wifi Remote - sweet



Thats too good to be true - but I will take your word for it.

On pandora you can create stations - can you do that on the fron panel of the 80.3?

Now, about my 10,000 song itunes library..... How do I control it and "see menus".
Do I have to move the computer upstairs in the closet with the 80.0, play it out through a DAC?
versabar is offline  
post #153 of 4277 Old 10-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
spike9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, So I was just about to buy the DHC-80.3 but I've been wanting to stream music/photos at the same time. I just saw a video of a Marantz - Airplay & Wizz App demo on youtube. Really like this airplay software... that I can use with my IPhone 4. But in reality when listening to music... I usually resort to pandora.

Looking at Integra manual... It doesn't seem that it is airplay compatible? Is this correct ?

Although my current AVR 4308CI and my OPPO BDP-93 can stream music & pics and they are connected with ethernet cable, they are very slow. If I wanted to use a IPhone application that I can easily browse music or pics on my network or connected with external hard drive... what is the best way to do this ?

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
spike9876 is offline  
post #154 of 4277 Old 10-15-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Warpdrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by versabar View Post

Thats too good to be true - but I will take your word for it.

On pandora you can create stations - can you do that on the fron panel of the 80.3?

Now, about my 10,000 song itunes library..... How do I control it and "see menus".
Do I have to move the computer upstairs in the closet with the 80.0, play it out through a DAC?


Sorry to say I don't have a pandora acct, so I can't answer that...
My other choice of music is Dish Network - so I don't really bother with the whole internet streaming scenario, sorry...
I have a PC running to stream all my media - ie movies, music and I run XBMC so I just have an app on my android that controls every facet that this entails... I pump that in over HDMI....

Seems everyones rig is a bit different and you'll have to experiment with it to see what you get for results.
Warpdrv is offline  
post #155 of 4277 Old 10-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Member
 
versabar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Sorry to say I don't have a pandora acct, so I can't answer that...
I have a PC running to stream all my media - ie movies, music and I run XBMC so I just have an app on my android that controls every facet that this entails... I pump that in over HDMI....

Seems everyones rig is a bit different and you'll have to experiment with it to see what you get for results.

and I run XBMC

What does that mean???
versabar is offline  
post #156 of 4277 Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by versabar View Post

Thats too good to be true - but I will take your word for it.

On pandora you can create stations - can you do that on the fron panel of the 80.3?

Now, about my 10,000 song itunes library..... How do I control it and "see menus".
Do I have to move the computer upstairs in the closet with the 80.0, play it out through a DAC?

You can create pandora stations from the remote control. You can play your itunes library by turning on dlna on your windows/linux/mac computer where your itunes library is located.
mlknez is offline  
post #157 of 4277 Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Senior Member
 
spike9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Sorry to say I don't have a pandora acct, so I can't answer that...
My other choice of music is Dish Network - so I don't really bother with the whole internet streaming scenario, sorry...
I have a PC running to stream all my media - ie movies, music and I run XBMC so I just have an app on my android that controls every facet that this entails... I pump that in over HDMI....

Seems everyones rig is a bit different and you'll have to experiment with it to see what you get for results.

Warpdrv,

I'm also a bit unfamiliar with XBMC. After looking it up... I do see you can download it on my PC. I also see several apps for my IPhone... But how do you set your receiver to stream XBMC ?

Besides music and videos... can you also stream pictures on your network ?

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
spike9876 is offline  
post #158 of 4277 Old 10-15-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post

OK, So I was just about to buy the DHC-80.3 but I've been wanting to stream music/photos at the same time. I just saw a video of a Marantz - Airplay & Wizz App demo on youtube. Really like this airplay software... that I can use with my IPhone 4. But in reality when listening to music... I usually resort to pandora.

Looking at Integra manual... It doesn't seem that it is airplay compatible? Is this correct ?

Although my current AVR 4308CI and my OPPO BDP-93 can stream music & pics and they are connected with ethernet cable, they are very slow. If I wanted to use a IPhone application that I can easily browse music or pics on my network or connected with external hard drive... what is the best way to do this ?

You are correct that the 80.3 is not an airplay compliant device. You can use the onkyo ios (ipad/ipod/iphone) app in the app store to play from all of the compliant sources, that includes, dlna which is how most people will stream their computer based files, as well as pandora,last.fm,spotify,etc.
mlknez is offline  
post #159 of 4277 Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Warpdrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by versabar View Post

and I run XBMC

What does that mean???

Basically its a really well written open source program that one would run on a PC to stream music, movies, pictures - what have you out to your HT or music rig from your computer....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post

Warpdrv,

I'm also a bit unfamiliar with XBMC. After looking it up... I do see you can download it on my PC. I also see several apps for my IPhone... But how do you set your receiver to stream XBMC ?

Besides music and videos... can you also stream pictures on your network ?

Just think of XBMC as a BluRay Player with far more flexibilty and capabilities.... Its a completely unrestricted computer program that will do anything and everything = play any type of file you have on your computer through your Preamp for audio and displayed on your TV/Display... remotely controlled via your wifi network with your smartphone...

Yes, you can set it to do slideshows... in fact you can que up music to play and then select an album/folder and play a slideshow of whatever pictures you want to rotate through while the music is playing - I actually do this quite often....

The Iphone app is not as nice as the Android app from the last version I had. I actually switched from the Iphone to Android for this sole reason. Much better, more user friendly IMO. Apple just doesn't allow the freedom that you get with Android - Ive owned 3 gens of Iphone, I'll never go back - EVER... restrictions suck !

I used to have the original Xbox, chipped and running different flavors of XBMC for almost 8 years, but it could never handle 1080p, I switched to Popcorn Hours for a couple years until XBMC got really good and stable streaming HD as well as HD audio - then I built a couple nice HTPC's to run the lastest and greatest XBMC....

In my 2 channel rig - I actually extract 2 channel audio from the HDMI stream via Atlona 570 box, optical out to a Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus DAC then out to my Parasound 2100 preamp for a HT bypass scenario. SQ from FLAC is the best I have ever heard in my system with my Salk SoundScape M7's & 18" LMS sub... Truly some of the most transparent, yet impactful sound I have ever heard....
Warpdrv is offline  
post #160 of 4277 Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Senior Member
 
spike9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post


Just think of XBMC as a BluRay Player with far more flexibilty and capabilities.... Its a completely unrestricted computer program that will do anything and everything = play any type of file you have on your computer through your Preamp for audio and displayed on your TV/Display... remotely controlled via your wifi network with your smartphone...

Yes, you can set it to do slideshows... in fact you can que up music to play and then select an album/folder and play a slideshow of whatever pictures you want to rotate through while the music is playing - I actually do this quite often....

The Iphone app is not as nice as the Android app from the last version I had. I actually switched from the Iphone to Android for this sole reason. Much better, more user friendly IMO. Apple just doesn't allow the freedom that you get with Android - Ive owned 3 gens of Iphone, I'll never go back - EVER... restrictions suck !

I used to have the original Xbox, chipped and running different flavors of XBMC for almost 8 years, but it could never handle 1080p, I switched to Popcorn Hours for a couple years until XBMC got really good and stable streaming HD as well as HD audio - then I built a couple nice HTPC's to run the lastest and greatest XBMC....

In my 2 channel rig - I actually extract 2 channel audio from the HDMI stream via Atlona 570 box, optical out to a Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus DAC then out to my Parasound 2100 preamp for a HT bypass scenario. SQ from FLAC is the best I have ever heard in my system with my Salk SoundScape M7's & 18" LMS sub... Truly some of the most transparent, yet impactful sound I have ever heard....

hmm, interesting... I will install XBMC and download a free IPhone app and see how this works... Maybe I don't need airplay after all...

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
spike9876 is offline  
post #161 of 4277 Old 10-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Member
 
versabar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Basically its a really well written open source program that one would run on a PC to stream music, movies, pictures - what have you out to your HT or music rig from your computer....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC



Just think of XBMC as a BluRay Player with far more flexibilty and capabilities.... Its a completely unrestricted computer program that will do anything and everything = play any type of file you have on your computer through your Preamp for audio and displayed on your TV/Display... remotely controlled via your wifi network with your smartphone...

Yes, you can set it to do slideshows... in fact you can que up music to play and then select an album/folder and play a slideshow of whatever pictures you want to rotate through while the music is playing - I actually do this quite often....

The Iphone app is not as nice as the Android app from the last version I had. I actually switched from the Iphone to Android for this sole reason. Much better, more user friendly IMO. Apple just doesn't allow the freedom that you get with Android - Ive owned 3 gens of Iphone, I'll never go back - EVER... restrictions suck !

I used to have the original Xbox, chipped and running different flavors of XBMC for almost 8 years, but it could never handle 1080p, I switched to Popcorn Hours for a couple years until XBMC got really good and stable streaming HD as well as HD audio - then I built a couple nice HTPC's to run the lastest and greatest XBMC....

In my 2 channel rig - I actually extract 2 channel audio from the HDMI stream via Atlona 570 box, optical out to a Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus DAC then out to my Parasound 2100 preamp for a HT bypass scenario. SQ from FLAC is the best I have ever heard in my system with my Salk SoundScape M7's & 18" LMS sub... Truly some of the most transparent, yet impactful sound I have ever heard....

Wow, that sounds too good. I may be bothering you when I get the 80.3. Can you see the album covers (on the PC) when you are accessing the files with your iPhone app?
versabar is offline  
post #162 of 4277 Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Senior Member
 
spike9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by versabar View Post

Wow, that sounds too good. I may be bothering you when I get the 80.3. Can you see the album covers (on the PC) when you are accessing the files with your iPhone app?

OK, So I installed XBMC on my PC and added location of my Pics.

Next I installed a free app named XBMoteC.

Running XBMoteC, looks like I need to add my network server. Seems like I need to add the following settings manually.
Name: <br /> Host/IP: <localhost><br /> Port: <8080><br /> User: <xbmc><br /> Pass: <****><br /> <br /> I'm unfamiliar what I need to enter above.<br /> Name: Is this my network name ? <br /> Host/IP: Running ipconfig on my PC, do I enter the IPv4 Address or Default Gateway ?<br /> Port: Do I leave it in 8080 ?

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
spike9876 is offline  
post #163 of 4277 Old 10-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Senior Member
 
spike9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post

OK, So I installed XBMC on my PC and added location of my Pics.

Next I installed a free app named XBMoteC.

Running XBMoteC, looks like I need to add my network server. Seems like I need to add the following settings manually.
Name: <br /> Host/IP: <localhost><br /> Port: <8080><br /> User: <xbmc><br /> Pass: <****><br /> <br /> I'm unfamiliar what I need to enter above.<br /> Name: Is this my network name ? <br /> Host/IP: Running ipconfig on my PC, do I enter the IPv4 Address or Default Gateway ?<br /> Port: Do I leave it in 8080 ? <\/div> <\/div> <br>OK, I figured some part out...<br /> <br /> I'm now able to connect to my PC with app... Having trouble with connecting to my Denon AVR and my OPPO.<br /> <br /> To set up settings for my AVR &amp; OPPO I removed the user name &amp; password.<br /> I'm now able to connect to my AVR but when I check AVR, it says "Not authorized" but my "media streaming options" on my PC it has all networks set as "Allowed". I remember when I setup my Denon I had to manually set it to "Allow" a while back.<br /> <br /> For my Oppo BD93... I'm not able to connect...

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
spike9876 is offline  
post #164 of 4277 Old 10-16-2011, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

I just bought a 3009 and I'm having an issue with DTS sources. It seems that DTS will only output at 7.1 for me even though it's a 5.1 source. I have selected straight decode so no post processing to add the SB speaker. Can you see if your Integra is the same, thanks.

Good catch, would like to see more input on this. They may have implemented un-defeatable surround > rear speaker cloning/remapping as DTS suggests for 5.1 mixes on a 7.1 setup, which would be a bad thing as the DTS remapping is very primitive compared to DSX or PLIIz. I guess to follow up, would be good to see how NEOX handles 5.1 sources if this is the case.

Anyone else: can you play straight 5.1 DTS-HDMA or is it always output as 7.1?

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
Ruined is offline  
post #165 of 4277 Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
spike9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm interested in getting an Integra DHC-80.3.

Can someone provide a dealer that can either ship to NY or a local dealer in NYC where I can purchase... What price I should expect to pay... ?

Thanks in advance.

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
spike9876 is offline  
post #166 of 4277 Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Member
 
drpete12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Spike

Can you forward the order/pricing info to me

Thanks
drpete12 is offline  
post #167 of 4277 Old 10-19-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post

I'm interested in getting an Integra DHC-80.3.

Can someone provide a dealer that can either ship to NY or a local dealer in NYC where I can purchase... What price I should expect to pay... ?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/loc_results.cfm
mlknez is offline  
post #168 of 4277 Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 21,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I admit I have never had an Integra product before. I may have to Review a 80.3.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
joerod is offline  
post #169 of 4277 Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Member
 
KC Coldbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there an audio quality difference between the 80.1-80.2-80.3? The specifications seem to indicate they all use the same DACs and DSP.

I ask because my 80.1 video switcher went out last month, and since I couldn't have my system out of commission, while it's being repaired I picked up a Marantz AV7005. Unexpectedly, the Marantz AV7005 sound quality is head-and-shoulders above the 80.1. The dynamics are dramatically better -- not subtly better, but "wife noticed it without prompting" better. I really didn't think that was going to happen.

The plan was to sell the 80.1 when it's back from repair and pick up an 80.3 going forward, but now I have my doubts because of the AV7005 sound quality. It has 1 less HDMI input than I need and would have on the 80.3, but I'm working around that by using a second input on the TV and programming the remote macro to deal with it.

I don't really care about most of the 80.3 feature adds except HDMI 1.4a (and that's only for future proofing), since I rarely use a scaler and when I do, I have a good one in my Pioneer Elite PRO-151 panel. MultiEQ XT32 is potentially an improvement, but that's more sound shaping than raw sound quality.

So to summarize, AV7005 sound quality dramatically better than 80.1 (IMHO), so is 80.3 going to up the ante?
KC Coldbrook is offline  
post #170 of 4277 Old 10-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Coldbrook View Post

Is there an audio quality difference between the 80.1-80.2-80.3? The specifications seem to indicate they all use the same DACs and DSP.

I ask because my 80.1 video switcher went out last month, and since I couldn't have my system out of commission, while it's being repaired I picked up a Marantz AV7005. Unexpectedly, the Marantz AV7005 sound quality is head-and-shoulders above the 80.1. The dynamics are dramatically better -- not subtly better, but "wife noticed it without prompting" better. I really didn't think that was going to happen.

The plan was to sell the 80.1 when it's back from repair and pick up an 80.3 going forward, but now I have my doubts because of the AV7005 sound quality. It has 1 less HDMI input than I need and would have on the 80.3, but I'm working around that by using a second input on the TV and programming the remote macro to deal with it.

I don't really care about most of the 80.3 feature adds except HDMI 1.4a (and that's only for future proofing), since I rarely use a scaler and when I do, I have a good one in my Pioneer Elite PRO-151 panel. MultiEQ XT32 is potentially an improvement, but that's more sound shaping than raw sound quality.

So to summarize, AV7005 sound quality dramatically better than 80.1 (IMHO), so is 80.3 going to up the ante?

Your experience/comments are totally different from this new 5508 (80.2)/old AV7005 owner.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21103982

.1, .2, .3, 5507, 5508 and 5509 all have essentially the same audio quality, though the .2/5508 on have Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 which will make some improvement depending on room acoustics.
pepar is offline  
post #171 of 4277 Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Member
 
KC Coldbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Your experience/comments are totally different from this new 5508 (80.2)/old AV7005 owner.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21103982

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. He's running an Outlaw 7125 unbalanced and Paradigms, which is fine gear. I'm running Parasound Halo balanced and B&W 800 Diamond series which is another class of equipment.

Note that we may be talking about different things, too. He's talking about overall sound quality and may be listening to acoustic music or other, less dynamic material. In overall sound quality (non-dynamics) I wouldn't say the 80.1 vs. AV7005 were in different classes, the 80.1 is a more forward, accentuating high end detail, the AV7005 a bit smoother. It's the dynamic range that shines on the AV7005.

Audio is necessarily subjective but in this case the dynamics are so dramatically different, that versus the AV7005 it's as if the 80.1 was always running with dynamic range in Night Mode (no, it wasn't).

Remember all of this was totally unexpected for me, I've always been a big Integra fan and fully planned on continuing down that road. I've had a 9.8 and even an Integra Research RDC-7 (which with its Wolfson DACs was the best-sounding pre-pro I've ever owned). I didn't come here to rain on anybody's Integra parade, I love the stuff. I just ended up in this weird situation with the stellar dynamics on the AV7005 and it makes it hard to buy an 80.3 now.
KC Coldbrook is offline  
post #172 of 4277 Old 10-20-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Your comments are dramatically different from mine's as well in regards to the Marantz AV7005 and Onkyo 5508. The Marantz is dull in comparison to the 5508 for movies.

I go through a lot of gear but my current amp is a EAD Powermaster 2000 which retailed for $7,500 new and bested the Parasound Halo amps as well as the Theta Dreadnaught amp I also owned. I do like the Halo amps, just the EAD was better in my system. I tested both pre-pro's using full range Von Schweikert's at every channel as well as some Emerald Physics CS2's which were around for the comparison. I also had Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for a few months but the VS speakers were better.

Not saying that what you heard was incorrect, just that different people have different conclusions based on there preference, room and equipment. Lets not get into who has better equipment either, really makes no difference.

Maybe you had a faulty 80.1 (I know the 80.1 I had was a lemon and I sent it back) Maybe the AV7005 that dvdguru and I had were both faulty and that is why we got different results than you.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is online now  
post #173 of 4277 Old 10-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Coldbrook View Post

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. He's running an Outlaw 7125 unbalanced and Paradigms, which is fine gear. I'm running Parasound Halo balanced and B&W 800 Diamond series which is another class of equipment.

Note that we may be talking about different things, too. He's talking about overall sound quality and may be listening to acoustic music or other, less dynamic material. In overall sound quality (non-dynamics) I wouldn't say the 80.1 vs. AV7005 were in different classes, the 80.1 is a more forward, accentuating high end detail, the AV7005 a bit smoother. It's the dynamic range that shines on the AV7005.

Audio is necessarily subjective but in this case the dynamics are so dramatically different, that versus the AV7005 it's as if the 80.1 was always running with dynamic range in Night Mode (no, it wasn't).

Remember all of this was totally unexpected for me, I've always been a big Integra fan and fully planned on continuing down that road. I've had a 9.8 and even an Integra Research RDC-7 (which with its Wolfson DACs was the best-sounding pre-pro I've ever owned). I didn't come here to rain on anybody's Integra parade, I love the stuff. I just ended up in this weird situation with the stellar dynamics on the AV7005 and it makes it hard to buy an 80.3 now.

Yes, yes, we are just expressing and exchanging opinions.

I had the 9.8's twin sister Onkyo Pro 885, but before that I too owned the RDC-7. My usage was more cinema, so I took to the 885 with HDMI and all the latest codecs. Two channel music became something I listened to elsewhere, and usually in the form of 320Kbps AC3 files.

Moving from 885 to 5508 has made a huge difference in audio quality. I am listening to my long-forgotten CD collection again. The 5508, IMO, is a better piece than the RDC-7 for music and FAR better than the 885 for everything.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #174 of 4277 Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
fitzcaraldo215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Coldbrook View Post

Is there an audio quality difference between the 80.1-80.2-80.3? The specifications seem to indicate they all use the same DACs and DSP.

I ask because my 80.1 video switcher went out last month, and since I couldn't have my system out of commission, while it's being repaired I picked up a Marantz AV7005. Unexpectedly, the Marantz AV7005 sound quality is head-and-shoulders above the 80.1. The dynamics are dramatically better -- not subtly better, but "wife noticed it without prompting" better. I really didn't think that was going to happen.

The plan was to sell the 80.1 when it's back from repair and pick up an 80.3 going forward, but now I have my doubts because of the AV7005 sound quality. It has 1 less HDMI input than I need and would have on the 80.3, but I'm working around that by using a second input on the TV and programming the remote macro to deal with it.

I don't really care about most of the 80.3 feature adds except HDMI 1.4a (and that's only for future proofing), since I rarely use a scaler and when I do, I have a good one in my Pioneer Elite PRO-151 panel. MultiEQ XT32 is potentially an improvement, but that's more sound shaping than raw sound quality.

So to summarize, AV7005 sound quality dramatically better than 80.1 (IMHO), so is 80.3 going to up the ante?

I have owned a 9.8, 80.1, and 80.2. I have not heard the 80.3. But, in answer to your question, yes, there were sonic improvements in each case. By far the biggest improvement was of the 80.2 over the 80.1. That was fairly dramatic.

I have not heard the Marantz myself, but I find Kal Rubinson's reviews and opinions in Stereophile to be completely trustworthy. In my book, he is unlike just about any other audio reviewer in that regard. He has reviewed both the Marantz and the 80.2, in addition to just about all other high end prepros. You can find his reviews online at their site to get some idea of the extensive listening he does for his reviews.

It's not on their site yet, because it was just published recently, but in his list of Recommended Components, he ranks the 80.2 in Class A, along with Meridian, McIntosh, Classe, Krell ($30K!), and the Anthem D2V. He would be quick to point out that that does not mean they all sound the same, just that they are comparable in sound quality. He puts the Marantza step below in Class B. His preference is for the Meridian.

I am not doubting what you heard. But, there might be reasons for it other than the products themselves. One thing that can cause variations is how you conduct the Audyssey calibration. I recently had this experience myself, and I had to redo my 80.2's calibration, because the sound was not quite right. (A rain storm during the first calibration, had "polluted" the results via noise from the raindrops on my roof.) It is a good idea to abide faithfully by the Audyssey setup guide. There is a link to it in each of Pepar's postings.

It is, of course, your choice. I think another thing that affects it is what you listen to. I only use hi rez Mch classical music in my own evaluations, because I go to many live concerts, and I have a frame of reference for what they should sound like. That is also predominantly what I listen to. I think differences with stereo CD or with movies are going to be more difficult to detect, and less meaningful, IMHO. All my own listening is done via HDMI, by the way, from an Oppo BDP-93.

I, myself, could not be happier than I am with my Audyssey-Pro calibrated 80.2. To me it sounds better than the Anthem D2V's owned by a couple of close friends. To me it is also comparable to a Meitner EMM Labs-based system - very costly using the finest components - I have heard through another friend. My system exceeds in true-to-life realism any plain stereo I have ever heard at any price, including quite a few $300- $400K systems.

FWIW, my own sytem is 7 Martin Logan 'stat hybrids - Prodigies, Clarities, Script-i's and a Stage - plus a JL Audio Fathom f113. Amplification is by Spectron Audio, Parasound Halo and Bryston.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline  
post #175 of 4277 Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ddingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mahtomedi,Minnesota
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nick our lead tech has an 80.3 at home feeding a 50" Kuro. In "auto" the 80.3 sends 1080p to the Kuro. He is running into a problem when using "native" on his premiere Tivo. When switching between 720p and 1080i the color space seems to go wacky. Sort of a purple looking result. On and off cycles seem to bring it back,but it is not a simple process. Leaving the Tivo fixed to 1080i eliminates the problem.
Anyone else bump in any similar issues? The unit seems to have the latest firmware.Thanks
ddingle is offline  
post #176 of 4277 Old 10-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
FerretHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ferret Free Zone
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter View Post

I'm keeping an ear on it, but like I said, I have no clicking while watching material on any other input. It's just the cable box, and I have been told from a previous visit by the cable company that my cable signal is quite bad/weak. I am currently thinking of switching to satellite.

I used to have a DTR 6.5, and it also clicked when switching inputs. So I'm not too worried at this point that the unit is a bad unit.

Just a brief update. I switch to satellite tv, and the signal is very strong. I am no longer getting the clicking noise while watching programming. The only time it clicks is during channel switching.

I'm happy again.

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
FerretHunter is offline  
post #177 of 4277 Old 10-21-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I found some more limitations/bugs with the 80.3

DLNA will not work with any file that has a sample rate above 96khz. It will not work correctly with any 6 channel audio file.

The DHC-80.3 will not correctly play (without stutter) any pcm file with a bitrate over 12Mbps. This generally happens with a hi-res, multichannel, uncompressed file over 96khz/24 bit. I noticed this when I was trying to play 176.4khz 24bit multichannel SACD files converted to PCM or FLAC.

The above issues are in addition to Audyssey xt32 automated config not working past the first position with bi-amped front speakers.

Integra/Onkyo has not acknowledged these issues but are not denying them either. It seems that Onkyo/Integra USA does not have the tech staff to examine or address these issues. Are there particular escalation precedures that are in place for me to follow up?
mlknez is offline  
post #178 of 4277 Old 10-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

I found some more limitations/bugs with the 80.3

DLNA will not work with any file that has a sample rate above 96khz. It will not work correctly with any 6 channel audio file.

The DHC-80.3 will not correctly play (without stutter) any pcm file with a bitrate over 12Mbps. This generally happens with a hi-res, multichannel, uncompressed file over 96khz/24 bit. I noticed this when I was trying to play 176.4khz 24bit multichannel SACD files converted to PCM or FLAC.

Have you tried playing these without Audyssey EQ engaged"

Quote:


The above issues are in addition to Audyssey xt32 automated config not working past the first position with bi-amped front speakers.

Please contact Audyssey about this. They are much more nimble and able to respond.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #179 of 4277 Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

It's not on their site yet, because it was just published recently, but in his list of Recommended Components, he ranks the 80.2 in Class A, along with Meridian, McIntosh, Classe, Krell ($30K!), and the Anthem D2V.

Not not yet; never. RC is a feature of the print edition only.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #180 of 4277 Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Have you tried playing these without Audyssey EQ engaged"


Please contact Audyssey about this. They are much more nimble and able to respond.

Jeff

I will try the files with the listening mode in Direct. That should turn of Audyssey processing. I would think that the bi-amp being disengaged would be a problem with the processor not the Audyssey system itself.


Yep... even in Direct mode with Audyssey off, it still stutters on the hi-bitrate files after 15 seconds. The weird thing is you can stop the song, restart at another point in time, it is fine for 15 seconds again, then it starts to stutter

Interesting...
If I rerip the 6 channel 176.4khz original file instead using 88.2khz, the resulting file is 7.87Mbps and will play just fine.

Another interesting note: It seems that DLNA and USB both have the same limitations of not being able to recognize multichannel files as multichannel and not being able to play any file above 96khz sample rate


So, the question is, where are the limitations coming from and is this truely a hardware limitation or just a series of bugs in the implementation.


Is there anyone with an 80.2 or 5508 that can try this to see if they have the same limitations?
mlknez is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off