Integra DHC-80.3 - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1801 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would appreciate hearing from 80.3 owners that have done a Pro calibration. Have you noticed any differences in SQ post calibration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi GPBurns

I dropped you a pm. I see the first 2 screens you posted. the IP is correct and the 60128 is correct, but I press the little button to goto next step and nothing happens (sometimes it says connection timed out or something like that). Are there possibly any settings in the audyssey pro software I need to set first (ie com port etc) or any special settings in the 80.3 menu. I can control my 80.3 thru IP and I can access it thru web menu but Audyssy pro wont connect

Thanks for any help,

Peter

ps please check request in pm
post #1803 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Sorry forgot. The 80.3 is updated (have not done any reboot procedures other than when firmware rebooted) and audyssey pro software is latest downloaded 2 days ago
post #1804 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

If you have a really good, well treated room, that can't benefit a lot from XT32, maybe. Otherwise, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

agreed
post #1805 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

-
Obviously some room modes you have become very accustomed too
uncorrected frequency response graph would be great to see

Yeah the room hasn't been built long and I have not had much considerable amount of time in there with any equipment.

I do have to agree that I will put up response graph in the near future. I have all the equipment here ready for few, but just don't have time to actually read through an figure out how to get it to all work.
post #1806 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete12 View Post

Need Help

I have an audyssey pro kit here (borrowed) and I am trying to hook it up to the 80.3
It will not connect (I am trying to connect thru intranet. I type in IP address and nothing happens. are there any special settings or changes I need to do. Also can I hook up thru rs232?

Any help would be great, I need to return unit tonight.

thanks

Peter

Peter, I assume you have the 80.3 connected via an Ethernet cable to a router and then the router connected via an Ethernet cable to the laptop PC? If so, have you switched off any wireless Internet connection and enabled the LAN connection? If you have done that, then go to Hardware settings, Network on the 80.3 and see what IP address is being shown for the router you are using. Copy that IP address into the correct place on the Pro software (it's a pop-up box) and then click the arrow to go ahead and you should connect. If you are getting a 'connection timeout' error, the laptop cannot see the 80.3.

Cross posted from the Pro Installer Kit thread where you asked a different question:

Did you buy a licence? You can use your friend's Audyssey Pro kit but the licence is specific to one unit only (presumably his), so you will need to get your friend to log into his Installer account and then buy a licence for your specific machine (it's identified by the MAC or serial number). This then creates a unique key for your machine which needs to be input into the Pro software before it will work.

IOW, the machine's MAC/serial and the licence key for that machine are tied together.
post #1807 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Is it possible that port 60128 (or the standard preset for this I cant remember) needs to be opened in my router???
post #1808 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Is it possible that port 60128 (or the standard preset for this I cant remember) needs to be opened in my router???

If you have control enabled, can ping the integra's ip successfully, can see the integra's web site, and have purchased the license, and are ready to paste it in when the program asks for irtysh and you still can not get in, turn off the integra, unplug it, and try again.
post #1809 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 PM

I can see the integra web site. I have not purchased the license yet. I beleive once it connects then I can purchase the license.

Is this correct. Should the license be purchased before I even run the audyssey pro software?
post #1810 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It can't do any harm to try that.

If you type http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx (the IP address reported by the 80.3) into a browser are you connecting to the 80.3's web page (see attachment)?
LL
post #1811 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 02:44 PM

I can get into integras web page no problem, but I can not get past the spot in audyssey pro software where i enter IP and port, when I hit arrow it does nothing. That is where I am stuck
post #1812 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can get into integras web page no problem, but I can not get past the spot in audyssey pro software where i enter IP and port, when I hit arrow it does nothing. That is where I am stuck

OK - that shows that the IP address is right and that your connection between the laptop and the 80.3 is good. I guess you have double checked that you have entered the IP and port correctly. I'm afraid we've reached the end of my knowledge on this one. My unit is an Onkyo 5509 and while it is supposed to be functionally identical there may be some differences I am not aware of. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Sorry I can't be of more help.

BTW, you didn't confirm that you have a licence for your unit? I take it that you do - if not, you're wasting your time trying to gt past the IP screen anyway because you still won't be able to calibrate it without a licence that matches the registered unit's serial number. Only the owner of the kit can sort that out for you.
post #1813 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 03:06 PM

I realize I will need a license, I am just unsure of buying one if I can get past the IP screen. My understanding is that once you are past your IP screen it gives you info you will need to goto their website and buy a license. I am not trying to avoid the license. I just dont want to buy it and then not be able to connect to the 80.3

Thanks you all for your help, you have been great. I just wanna pull me hair out, one of those home theatre moments
post #1814 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I realize I will need a license, I am just unsure of buying one if I can get past the IP screen. My understanding is that once you are past your IP screen it gives you info you will need to goto their website and buy a license. I am not trying to avoid the license. I just dont want to buy it and then not be able to connect to the 80.3

Thanks you all for your help, you have been great. I just wanna pull me hair out, one of those home theatre moments

Try unplugging unit and then repeat.
post #1815 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can see what you mean, but there's nothing useful in the Pro software that is relevant to buying the licence. How it works is this: the Installer (your friend in this case) needs to go to the Installer website and login and then add your unit to his 'profile', using the unit's serial number (MAC address for Onkyos) to identify it. Once he has done that he needs to buy a Licence from Audyssey and this then enables him to generate a key which ties the licence to that particular unit. IOW, one unit, one licence, one key. Without the licence key for the specific unit you can’t run a calibration.

I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to connect to the 80.3. AFAIK, nobody has been unable to connect. I'm not sure why you can't but the other guys on here are far more experienced with Pro and with Windows (I am normally a Mac user) than I am and will definitely be able to help you.

Quote:

No problem. I share your frustration. It took me over an hour to get my laptop connected to my 5509 - I hadn't disabled the wireless and enabled the LAN port in the lappy - d'oh!

EDIT: Incidentally, I was able to connect wirelessly of course before I realised what the problem was with connecting via the cable. Have you tried a wireless connection, just in case it may work? Remember to enable network control in Hardware/Network - second page of settings.
post #1816 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Are you sure you're selecting the proper Integra interface when in the Product Selection area? There are 3 Integra interfaces available and you need to pick the one that's specific to the DHC 80.3.
post #1817 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 04:29 PM

One hundred percent sure I am picking that one. Ever have one of those days where things just dont work? It is one of those. I know when I figure it out it is really going to be something simple/stupid.

But keep the ideas rolling in

Thanks everyone for your continuous help
post #1818 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One hundred percent sure I am picking that one. Ever have one of those days where things just dont work? It is one of those. I know when I figure it out it is really going to be something simple/stupid.

But keep the ideas rolling in

Thanks everyone for your continuous help

Have you tried unplugging the unit, then plugging it in and then pinging it? Pinging wakes it up sometimes.
post #1819 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I setup my dtr 80.3 this weekend, my display is a mits wd73835 dlp. I know this is the processor thread but the dtr thread is dead and i have some observations/questions that have nothing to do with the amp portion that somebody may find useful. I was having a static, flickering issue on my ps3 connected via hdmi regardless of what i had set in the picture setting menu (through, direct, 1080p etc.) What finally solved the problem was turning off deep color in the ps3. My other quirk was with my directv hr24 connected via hdmi and set to pass through native signal to the 80.3. When viewing a 1080i channel (all other resolutions were fine) i would again have a static,flickering issue on any picture setting except direct. I was hoping to use the video processing in the 80.3 to upconvert my directv signal to 1080p but at least now i have no static flickering. What was interesting is that the "through" setting still exhibited the flickering issue on 1080i while direct did not. So it seems even the "through" setting does something to the signal before it is sent to the display. Hopefully this may help somebody if they are having similar issues.
post #1820 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I did my pro calibration today. I can't say I hear any difference what so ever. Not a big deal though. I had planned on selling my pro kit but it's made me 4K already, so I think I'm gonna keep it and do some more calibrations

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #1821 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I did my pro calibration today. I can't say I hear any difference what so ever. Not a big deal though. I had planned on selling my pro kit but it's made me 4K already, so I think I'm gonna keep it and do some more calibrations

Try the DVE blu ray pink noise balance section which has positions between speakers. Before and after pro you should here a difference in a properly pro calibrated system.

Pro does a better job on the phase splice between speakers in a 7.x system.
post #1822 of 4277 Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Try the DVE blu ray pink noise balance section which has positions between speakers. Before and after pro you should here a difference in a properly pro calibrated system.

Pro does a better job on the phase splice between speakers in a 7.x system.

Not really. I don't listen to pink noise on my system, just movies and music
I've been messing with it all day, there just isn't a noticeable difference watching movies on my system.
I've done 16 pro calibrations so far for clients and friends, some there are big differences, some there are not. My room is very well treated which I'm sure make a big difference.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #1823 of 4277 Old 03-26-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Not really. I don't listen to pink noise on my system, just movies and music
I've been messing with it all day, there just isn't a noticeable difference watching movies on my system.
I've done 16 pro calibrations so far for clients and friends, some there are big differences, some there are not. My room is very well treated which I'm sure make a big difference.

Could be. I do 20 points. SACDs seem to be improved as well as DVD audio in my room. I am sure treatments and speakers affect results. We listen to a lot of classical music as well as watch movies.
post #1824 of 4277 Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Audyssey Pro has a much bigger affect on music than movies in my system as well. For movies you really have to try and discern differences which is, it's really hard to tell the difference.

I know it is all system and room dependent though.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #1825 of 4277 Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Need Help

I have an audyssey pro kit here (borrowed) and I am trying to hook it up to the 80.3
It will not connect (I am trying to connect thru intranet. I type in IP address and nothing happens. are there any special settings or changes I need to do. Also can I hook up thru rs232?

Any help would be great, I need to return unit tonight.

thanks

Peter

So when I get the 80.3, I still need another audyssey kit in order to use that feature??
post #1826 of 4277 Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

So when I get the 80.3, I still need another audyssey kit in order to use that feature??

You don't *need* it - the 80.3 comes with XT32 which is amazingly good and is as much as most people will ever want. The Pro kit is one step up from that and some people like to have the 'ultimate' I guess. It's up to you which camp you fall into.
post #1827 of 4277 Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
[quote=kbarnes701;21818799]That would be me

That would suggest that 'Through' isn't the same as 'bypass' then. if it was passing the signal untouched you would see no difference from blu-ray. 1080p 24Hz blu-ray is 1080p 24Hz blu-ray and every BD player in the world should play the disc the same (assuming it's properly made and mechanically sound) - it's just what is on the disc going straight to the screen, One properly made BD player is much the same as any other in this respect.

So the question is - what differences are you seeing when you use skip as opposed to Through?

Which test disc are you using and which tests is the problem showing up on when you use Through, that is causing the less good PQ? I have the DVE disc so we should be able to compare.

Also, has your Kuro been calibrated professionally by a THX or ISF calibrator?

I don't think it's a good idea to use off-air content to evaluate PQ like this - the only way is a test disc for the factual matters and then a 1080p 24Hz BD disc for real life content - one of the usual suspects with 5 star PQ at bluray. com for example - there are loads.

The problem with skip is that it's all or nothing. Anyone with SD content is either going to have to mess about skipping and not skipping every time he changes source or just not bother with the SD content. The video processing in the 80.3, or any unit, is only concerned with SD content - HD 1080p content shouldn't need any processing as it the native res for the display. All of my SD content (1000 DVDs or so) has now been ripped to hard disc and is seen via my HTPC and DVDO video processor so I can't really comment on the 80.3's abilities in that regard.
QUOTE]

Hi Keith, well over the weekend I was doing some comparison testing on the PQ side of this unit......All previous posts stating that the PQ was somewhat "lack luster" can be attributed to 2 reasons.

The first is that my Picture mode setting on my Kuro had somehow been changed ( I must have accidently switched settings from my custom "User Mode" to "Optimum") when setting up the 80.3.
The second and more valid point here is that when I had set the Input/Output Assign to "Source" (on pg 49), I had set the Resolution (on pg 61) to "Through". This is incorrect, because if you want to pass the video untouched the setting of Resolution (on pg 61) should be "Direct". On "Through" it changes the the resolution.
It makes perfect sense...... Source / Direct... DUH!!! Sometimes I really overthink this stuff.

Well, with video processing ON and on Source and Direct modes applied to my Sat box and BD inputs all was golden. I watched "Tin Tin" and "Hugo" on BD and they looked amazing. I know.... two eye candy movies.

Thanks again

Paul
post #1828 of 4277 Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Hi Keith, well over the weekend I was doing some comparison testing on the PQ side of this unit......All previous posts stating that the PQ was somewhat "lack luster" can be attributed to 2 reasons.

The first is that my Picture mode setting on my Kuro had somehow been changed ( I must have accidently switched settings from my custom "User Mode" to "Optimum") when setting up the 80.3.

Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

The second and more valid point here is that when I had set the Input/Output Assign to "Source" (on pg 49), I had set the Resolution (on pg 61) to "Through". This is incorrect, because if you want to pass the video untouched the setting of Resolution (on pg 61) should be "Direct". On "Through" it changes the the resolution.
It makes perfect sense...... Source / Direct... DUH!!! Sometimes I really overthink this stuff.

Good info - thanks for coming back and sharing.
post #1829 of 4277 Old 03-26-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:

You don't *need* it - the 80.3 comes with XT32 which is amazingly good and is as much as most people will ever want. The Pro kit is one step up from that and some people like to have the 'ultimate' I guess. It's up to you which camp you fall into.

I see, well since this is for my living room and not a dedicated theater room, the non pro should be fine. thanks
post #1830 of 4277 Old 03-26-2012, 01:23 PM

[quote=hidefpaul;21830288]
Quote:

That would be me

That would suggest that 'Through' isn't the same as 'bypass' then. if it was passing the signal untouched you would see no difference from blu-ray. 1080p 24Hz blu-ray is 1080p 24Hz blu-ray and every BD player in the world should play the disc the same (assuming it's properly made and mechanically sound) - it's just what is on the disc going straight to the screen, One properly made BD player is much the same as any other in this respect.

So the question is - what differences are you seeing when you use skip as opposed to Through?

Which test disc are you using and which tests is the problem showing up on when you use Through, that is causing the less good PQ? I have the DVE disc so we should be able to compare.

Also, has your Kuro been calibrated professionally by a THX or ISF calibrator?

I don't think it's a good idea to use off-air content to evaluate PQ like this - the only way is a test disc for the factual matters and then a 1080p 24Hz BD disc for real life content - one of the usual suspects with 5 star PQ at bluray. com for example - there are loads.

The problem with skip is that it's all or nothing. Anyone with SD content is either going to have to mess about skipping and not skipping every time he changes source or just not bother with the SD content. The video processing in the 80.3, or any unit, is only concerned with SD content - HD 1080p content shouldn't need any processing as it the native res for the display. All of my SD content (1000 DVDs or so) has now been ripped to hard disc and is seen via my HTPC and DVDO video processor so I can't really comment on the 80.3's abilities in that regard.
QUOTE]

Well, with video processing ON and on Source and Direct modes applied to my Sat box and BD inputs all was golden. I watched "Tin Tin" and "Hugo" on BD and they looked amazing. I know.... two eye candy movies.

Thanks again

Paul

So if I don't want the Integra to mess with the picture coming out of the Oppo and going to the TV, I need to set to Direct, correct?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page