post #1891 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

For watching blu ray movies, would I benefit if I go via the 80.3 vs going from oppo 95 directly to Elite Kuro??

Not really (for HD). For 1080p content there will be no difference, assuming you set the Oppo to output 1080p and the Integra to 'Direct'.

For SD content, the Oppo is a superb upscaler by all accounts so the issue would be if the Integra can handle the upconversion of SD material better than the Oppo. I'd doubt it but it's possible. You could test it by setting the Oppo to output native SD resolution (480i) and sending that to the Integra where you could do the upconversion and any other VP you wanted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Not really (for HD). For 1080p content there will be no difference, assuming you set the Oppo to output 1080p and the Integra to 'Direct'.

For SD content, the Oppo is a superb upscaler by all accounts so the issue would be if the Integra can handle the upconversion of SD material better than the Oppo. I'd doubt it but it's possible. You could test it by setting the Oppo to output native SD resolution (480i) and sending that to the Integra where you could do the upconversion and any other VP you wanted.

Ok, but would I "lose" any PQ if I have the output of Oppo to 1080P and Integra to direct? another words, would the integra damage the PQ in anyway being the middleman?
post #1893 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok, but would I "lose" any PQ if I have the output of Oppo to 1080P and Integra to direct? another words, would the integra damage the PQ in anyway being the middleman?

No. Not if the Integra is set to Direct. It then passes the signal entirely untouched. The way you are set up now is fine though.

post #1894 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM

And please forgive me as I am not an expert like you guys, but what is the Height and Width speaker adjustment on the 80.3?
post #1895 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
ed1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the following video signal stream set up:

Incoming cable TV signal > cable box > 80.3 processor > TV

The connections from cable box > 80.3 > TV are via HDMI high speed (1.4a) cables. The 80.3 is set to pass the incoming HDMI signal out to the TV when the 80.3 is on standby. The TV is a Sony 720p LCD model.

Almost all of the time, when the TV is turned on while the 80.3 is on standby, the HDMI "handshake" takes a few seconds, with perhaps a flicker of full-screen solid color (usually green or blue) for about 1 second, and then the TV video and audio appear normally.

But sometimes (probably 1 in 20 times), one of two things happens when the TV show first appears on the TV:

1. The TV picture appears with a severe pink color overlay that cannot be removed by changing channels. It can only be removed by shutting off the TV and then turning it on again with a successful HDMI handshake. -OR-

2. The TV picture appears normally but no sound is heard. Then, one of two things happens: (A) either the sound finally appears after perhaps 1 or 2 minutes of waiting, or (B) no sound appears even after waiting and the TV must be turned off and on and a new HDMI handshake must be successfully completed.

Can anyone comment on the possible causes?
post #1896 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1 View Post

I have the following video signal stream set up:

Incoming cable TV signal > cable box > 80.3 processor > TV

The connections from cable box > 80.3 > TV are via HDMI high speed (1.4a) cables. The 80.3 is set to pass the incoming HDMI signal out to the TV when the 80.3 is on standby. The TV is a Sony 720p LCD model.

Almost all of the time, when the TV is turned on while the 80.3 is on standby, the HDMI "handshake" takes a few seconds, with perhaps a flicker of full-screen solid color (usually green or blue) for about 1 second, and then the TV video and audio appear normally.

But sometimes (probably 1 in 20 times), one of two things happens when the TV show first appears on the TV:

1. The TV picture appears with a severe pink color overlay that cannot be removed by changing channels. It can only be removed by shutting off the TV and then turning it on again with a successful HDMI handshake. -OR-

2. The TV picture appears normally but no sound is heard. Then, one of two things happens: (A) either the sound finally appears after perhaps 1 or 2 minutes of waiting, or (B) no sound appears even after waiting and the TV must be turned off and on and a new HDMI handshake must be successfully completed.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

post #1897 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 PM

These guys claim they can upgrade the 80.3, anyone have experience with them?

http://www.**************.com/index....art&Itemid=123
post #1898 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And please forgive me as I am not an expert like you guys, but what is the Height and Width speaker adjustment on the 80.3?

Not sure what you mean. Which sections of the user manual are you referring to?

post #1899 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As your link has been auto-crippled by AVS, I'd guess it's one of the rogue companies who make huge and unsubstantiated claims for their 'magic formulas'. There are various threads on AVS about such companies.

Short answer: avoid them like the plague.

post #1900 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 05:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well they mainly have to do with Dolby pro logic IIx which adds front height and wides. So you can add additional speakers to create an even more enveloping sound.
post #1901 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Your better off using that money towards room treatments or speaker upgrades. Room treatments alone would improve the sound coming out of the 80.3 MUCH more than anything these guys can do.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #1902 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 07:46 PM

OK, all you 80.3 genuises! With 3 main sources playing into the 80.3, and they are: Oppo 93, Sony DVD-RW drive (outputs 480P, I think), and DISH Network VIP622 HD Sat box. Question: How should I have the Video settings done as far as Source, Picture and Resolution on the 80.3 (Pgs. 49, 61 and 62) for each input. 80.3 feeds a Sony Qualia 006 70" SXRD, which only takes 1080i on it's HDMI input. Your opinions are most welcome!
post #1903 of 4286 Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Bob has a great explanation here ; its the handshake and it does work when you simplify things [ I have a duo vp ]

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21834837
post #1904 of 4286 Old 03-29-2012, 05:16 AM
ed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

Bob has a great explanation here ; its the handshake and it does work when you simplify things [ I have a duo vp ]

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21834837

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I haven't yet tried new cables. I will consider doing that, although I would be surprised if that is the issue as the cables I have are 22 AWG and seemingly very high quality. They were purchased with separate, user installable ferrites, which did seem tight going on. So, perhaps it is that.

I will also look into the color/resolution settings as suggested in the linked thread.
post #1905 of 4286 Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

For watching blu ray movies, would I benefit if I go via the 80.3 vs going from oppo 95 directly to Elite Kuro??

The pic is so damm good now that I cant' imagine the 80.3 making it any better...

If your Oppo is set to upscale anything less than 1080p,the Integra will just pass the signal through for all sources automatically, notably Blu-ray. Most likely, you will see no difference. If you did,you could use the dual HDMI outputs from the Oppo.
post #1906 of 4286 Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The best upgrade would be to Audyssey Pro, period. Anything else would likely be snake oil.
post #1907 of 4286 Old 03-29-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I haven't yet tried new cables. I will consider doing that, although I would be surprised if that is the issue as the cables I have are 22 AWG and seemingly very high quality. They were purchased with separate, user installable ferrites, which did seem tight going on. So, perhaps it is that.

I will also look into the color/resolution settings as suggested in the linked thread.

You have a "PM" from me.

Terry

My "New" Home Theatre Pics 3/22/2012.

post #1908 of 4286 Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound21 View Post

I think the only thing holding several of us back is the concern that the analog output section of the 80.3 won't perform on par with our other equipment. It's an interesting thing. Everyone is using the same basic chipsets with a few different A/D and D/A chips available. It seems that the primary differences in SQ will be produced by the analog section that immediately follows that D/A. Some are discreet, Marantz uses HDAMs , I don't know on the 80.3. My old Aragaon Soundstage has discreet Class A line stage outputs. So far I've found nothing to match it short of rather expensive 2CH preamps. I'd like nothing better than to remove it and replace it with an 80.3. But I wonder if I'll wind up having to build a 6 channel XLR switcher to put between my processor(s) and the power amps to keep the best of everything.

I had a very nice stereo centered on a Levinson 380s preamp before I upgraded to Mch with a 9.8 over 4 years ago. I was originally going to keep the Levinson for stereo along with the Integra for movies. Two things happened. First, the Levinson fed by a Theta player/DAC did not sound better than the Integra fed by an Oppo 980 thanks to Audyssey. Second, I discovered how much more true to the live concert experience discrete Mch from SACD was. I now listen to essentially no stereo at all.

The Levinson and Theta are now history, sold for quite decent prices. And, I am now using an 80.2, Oppo 93 and Audyssey Pro, which together sound much better still than my original Mch setup. No regrets at all.
post #1909 of 4286 Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CElee View Post

Guys without any type of measurement, I prefer the 2ch output of my Oppo (via analog in direct mode) over bitstream hdmi with and without xt32. My wife who I asked to take a listen also chose the Oppo without knowing what was what.

In 2ch mode in a certain seating position, the Oppo's imaging was damn accurate. I was able to tell you exactly where voices and instruments were on the soundstage. With XT32 it was a general area and a little harsh, without XT32 it was a complete disaster. Now once I got out of the main listening position things began to sound different, but that wasn't my concern at the time to see how bad the Oppo did get compared to XT32.

Over the weekend I did do a quick listen in multi ch xt32 vs the Oppo 95 in multi ch analog with Adele's royal albert hall and eagles hell freeze's pver. No contest here, the Oppo sound stage completely collapses with all 5 speakers and sub. Where the xt32 really makes everything come together coherently. It's a little unfair to the Oppo as I have not set the level calibration etc to the surrounds and subs yet, but I don't see how or if I did how much better it would be.

I have not tested multich sacd or DVD-a yet, as I can't seem to find them in all my packing. And really in no hurry to either, I'm enjoying XT32 with movies as it's such a delight over my Marantz.

I have to add my fews cents to this as well. I have the Onkyo PRSC5509 (almost identical to the 80.3) as well as the Oppo BDP95. I also prefer the Oppo analogue via the Onkyo analogue in, in direct mode. I have noticed a strange anomaly and have verified it via spl meter measurments. If i take the analogue in and change it from pure or direct mode to stereo mode or use the HDMI input from the Oppo, the stereo image loses is enveloping nature. It seems to shift off axis , slightly to the left and the central image of voices is all over the place. Strangely enough the sound stage seems to increase in size, but it becomes difficult to "pinpoint" instruments. In direct mode with the analogue input the image and instrument localisation is spot on.

I have measured this with a spl meter and the left volume is approximately 1,5 to 2 dB louder. I can trim the effect in the set up menu by reducing the left channel volume and it centralises the image from a voicing perspective, however instruments are still all over the place. Ideally this is not a solution to what im encountering as it messes up the channel balance when using the direct mode.

To try and understand this, it seems almost like a level and phasing issue when using the digital modes for stereo, namely the HDMI inputs or analogue in Stereo mode. Only pure and direct mode with the analogue input are correct to my ears. To try and isolate the problem i swopped the speaker cable/s around , first one and then both , with understandably horrible imaging effects.

How i ended up finding the anomaly is down to the fact im testing a Classe CP800 preamp in the persuit of improving my stereo audio. When i use the Oppo into the CP 800 via the analogue input i can not according to my ears hear a difference between it and the CP 800 as a DAC, via spdif. The CP800 with the Oppo either via analogue or SPDIF sound pristine and well imaged with a large soundstange in my system. If i revert to feeding the Oppo into the Onkyo via analogue it almost sounds identical, with a slight reduction in bass output(less punchy). Imaging and soundstage are virtually identical.

None of the above was used with Audyssey to firstly limit the variables and secondly using it with stereo sources sounds terrible to my ears, making it unnaturally bright.
post #1910 of 4286 Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windshear View Post

I have to add my fews cents to this as well. I have the Onkyo PRSC5509 (almost identical to the 80.3) as well as the Oppo BDP95. I also prefer the Oppo analogue via the Onkyo analogue in, in direct mode. I have noticed a strange anomaly and have verified it via spl meter measurments. If i take the analogue in and change it from pure or direct mode to stereo mode or use the HDMI input from the Oppo, the stereo image loses is enveloping nature. It seems to shift off axis , slightly to the left and the central image of voices is all over the place. Strangely enough the sound stage seems to increase in size, but it becomes difficult to "pinpoint" instruments. In direct mode with the analogue input the image and instrument localisation is spot on.

I have measured this with a spl meter and the left volume is approximately 1,5 to 2 dB louder. I can trim the effect in the set up menu by reducing the left channel volume and it centralises the image from a voicing perspective, however instruments are still all over the place. Ideally this is not a solution to what im encountering as it messes up the channel balance when using the direct mode.

To try and understand this, it seems almost like a level and phasing issue when using the digital modes for stereo, namely the HDMI inputs or analogue in Stereo mode. Only pure and direct mode with the analogue input are correct to my ears. To try and isolate the problem i swopped the speaker cable/s around , first one and then both , with understandably horrible imaging effects.

How i ended up finding the anomaly is down to the fact im testing a Classe CP800 preamp in the persuit of improving my stereo audio. When i use the Oppo into the CP 800 via the analogue input i can not according to my ears hear a difference between it and the CP 800 as a DAC, via spdif. The CP800 with the Oppo either via analogue or SPDIF sound pristine and well imaged with a large soundstange in my system. If i revert to feeding the Oppo into the Onkyo via analogue it almost sounds identical, with a slight reduction in bass output(less punchy). Imaging and soundstage are virtually identical.

None of the above was used with Audyssey to firstly limit the variables and secondly using it with stereo sources sounds terrible to my ears, making it unnaturally bright.

I'm not crazy!

You say the soundstage increases in size when you let the Onkyo decode, I agree but only to the extent that because no instruments are localize they seem to be all over the place, therefore increasing the sound stage, not in a good way.

Try it with Audyssey, it's better then the Onkyo by itself, but i find some voices like Nate King Cole to be harsh/bright. Where on the Oppo it's perfect.
post #1911 of 4286 Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

One more nagging question on video settings for Cable HD (so 1080i / 720p). If I wanted to use the 80.3's capabilities to output 1080p (instead of using my projector's), how best would I set that up? I'm going to say Input/Output- Resolution-Source, then Picture Adjust-Picture Mode-Custom-Resolution-1080p ??

Adz
post #1912 of 4286 Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by awardb View Post

OK, all you 80.3 genuises! With 3 main sources playing into the 80.3, and they are: Oppo 93, Sony DVD-RW drive (outputs 480P, I think), and DISH Network VIP622 HD Sat box. Question: How should I have the Video settings done as far as Source, Picture and Resolution on the 80.3 (Pgs. 49, 61 and 62) for each input. 80.3 feeds a Sony Qualia 006 70" SXRD, which only takes 1080i on it's HDMI input. Your opinions are most welcome!

You and I are in similar situations in that I have a 1080p 72" Toshiba Cinema Series rear proj that only accepts 1080i. For people with TVs like us the video processing configuration settings are a little bit of a crap shoot becasue no matter how good of a VP we have in our AVR or source components, we will always be at the mercy of the VP in our TV.

I used to have a VIP622. For this the setting is simple, you should set the 80.3 to direct. The 622 has a single global output resolution setting so you're pretty much forced to have the 622 do the signal conversion. You'll have to determine which resolution looks best. I would assume 1080i would be your best bet. There are far more channels broadcast in 1080i than 720p, so the 622 shouldn't do anything to 1080i channels. For 720p and 480i channels the 622 will then upconvert them to 1080i. Upconverting is typically better than downconverting especially considering everything will then be upconverted to 1080p by the TV anyway.

I to have an OPPO 93. I have mine set to direct in my 80.3. Obviously you'll have to set the Oppo to output 1080i. The only other option is to have the Oppo output 1080p and then set the 80.3 to 1080i. I don't know which, if either, is better at interlacing a 1080p signal, however with my current setup I have no complaints. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a DVD in my theater, but the VP in the Oppo is very highly regarded so you'll probably be satisfied with having the Oppo upconvert DVDs to 1080i and then passing through the 1080i with the Direct setting.

For your Sony DVD-RW drive, do you mean a DVD Recorder? If that's what you're talking about I probably wouldn't use it as a player. The Oppo should be able to play any disc the Sony is capable of playing. If you have a legitimate need to use the Sony I would set the Sony to output 480i and the 80.3 to 1080i. I would venture to guess the VP in the 80.3 is going to outperform whatever is in the Sony.

post #1913 of 4286 Old 03-30-2012, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have to post this response with regards to the post i made here a few days ago.

I just had an eye opening experience on my Onkyo PRSC5509. I was trying to get to the bottom of why my "direct" mode in the Onkyo via analogue from the Oppo sounded so much better than the "stereo" mode in analogue as well as "direct" and "stereo" mode via HDMI. I ran through all the speaker set ups in the menu and found the auto set up had put my left speaker at 12 cm further away compared to my right. I set the distance the same and voila the stereo imaging was now identical in all modes.

I then tried to get to the bottom of why "direct" mode via Oppo analogue sounded more punchy in the bass region than "stereo" mode in analogue and HDMI. The penny finally dropped !!! In direct mode my subs are bypassed, whereas in "stereo" mode they are active.

I have been playing with REW measurements recently and have found that i have a massive bump(room mode) at 23 Hz in the room , more so with just the main speakers running (B&W 800Di's). Using REW i found i could reduce the 23Hz room mode by crossing over the mains at 55Hz and using the subs below that. It also gives me a lot flatter measured bass response across the lower spectrum.

Its interesting what a bit of investigation shows up and how measurement of linearity does not always translate into what one perceives to be better to the ear.

Direct mode to my ears is more punchy, due to the bass heavy bump, yet stereo mode is more accurate as per the measurements. My mind does not want to accept that stereo mode is better, i guess im a bit of a bass junky !!!!!!

I now sit with a situation that i know rears its head from time to time in other forums and thats using the onboard EQ on a sub. The auto set up in the Onkyo puts the distance of the subs(pair of B&W DB1's) at 0.24m(24cm) which is impossible, my main speakers are at 6,8m and the subs are sitting behind them due to room limitations and thus further away. If i turn the sub onboard EQ off , it correctly measures the sub distance. I now question how well the sub integration is working , due to the fact that a 12cm menu setting on my main speakers had such a profound effect in stereo mode. I can understand that the sub EQ would increase distance by introducing a processing delay, but how can it reduce distance, ie time) Does anyone have any idea's on how to get around this?
post #1914 of 4286 Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 AM

so are you now saying that you prefer the Onkyo over the Oppo's analog now?

All my distance settings are spot on and I do not have the Sub enabled in either (Oppo Analog or Integra Stereo).
post #1915 of 4286 Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windshear View Post

I appreciate your thoughtful input on this, and I think your views may sustain an opinion I have. First, circumstantially, but as I have been saying, I believe that the ADC in the Integra is likely the culprit for part of your findings. I do not believe that the ADC is likely high end audiophile grade in a unit priced as this one is. Hence, you favor Direct listening mode, which bypasses the ADC, among other things. If I were using a top quality player such as the 95 via the analog outs, I tend to think I would also prefer Direct mode, even if that meant bypassing Audyssey. Something has gotta give at the Integra's price point, and I believe it is analog input.

Second, it seems that your channel level trims may be off for some reason. Either that, or your sound level meter readings are in error. Did you hand hold the meter? That might explain erroneous readings. If your Audyssey calibration was done correctly, they should be spot on, as they are in my system in any listening mode. I believe that Direct mode bypasses the channel level trims in any case.

In spite of improvements in the 80.x series on analog inputs over the 9.x units, I still do not think these units are quite capable of the best performance with analog inputs in any listening mode. I believe they can be bettered by a dedicated analog preamp or prepro or by some high end prepros, such as the Classe, Anthem, Meridian, etc. On the other hand, the prowess of the Integra prepros is on digital inputs, where I believe they give up little, if anything, to the big boys, and offer some excellent capabilities, such as XT/32 and Audyssey Pro compatibility.

So, for my listening, primarily discretely recorded Mch classical music via HDMI using Audyssey, I still think the 80.2/3 are top notch performers. I have never been remotely happier with my sound in terms of concert hall realism than now, coming after decades of some really good high end stereo setups. Other high end processors I have heard do not have me drooling for an expensive replacement for my 80.2.
post #1916 of 4286 Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ran XT32 & think your Bass is to "Low",

Just as information in regards to running the Audyssey XT32.
My installing AV dealer which is an Authorized Integra Dealer ran the XT32 program on my new set-up for the HT.
That was back a week ago.

This is what I decided after listening to all different types of Movies, Concerts etc.

1st I should I think add this comment that has been made by other users that have ran the XT32.
(The Bass seems to be low)

I watched and listened to Iron Man II on Blu-Ray and the bass was not just like WOW, Awesome and Blew me away sort of thing.
Even so it was "Not" like it was not there.
Just not up to the point of you feeling like this is Bad-Ass sort of thing.

I did decide to listen to it for awhile and not just jumping in and adjusting it immediately.
Thought I would give myself time to evaluate the bass over a period of time with all different programming.
After doing this I decided to go in and adjust the Subs from what the XT32 program had set them.
I went from a -1.5 to a now +1.5 setting.

Then listened to all different Movies, Music etc. with the new settings.
Major difference in the Bass now.
It does have that Wow Factor for sure.
The Bass is not overboard or jacked up so High that is sounds Exaggerated at all.
But it now to me just has the right Sound, Feel that one would expect from 4-Mirage BPS-400 Subs.

Honestly I'm sure I could adjust the Bass even higher but I don't wish for it to be over exaggerated.
This now just seems to be a real good compromise between what the XT32 program set it at and my new adjustments.

I'm mentioning this here for those of you that run the XT32 program and feel like possibly the bass was a little low.
You might want to go into the Receiver/Pre-Amp Processor settings for Audio and adjust the Sub level up a bit.

Note, I do have the Audyssey Great Gramma Isolation pads under all 4 Mirage Subs.

Terry

post #1917 of 4286 Old 03-30-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post

If I were using a top quality player such as the 95 via the analog outs, I tend to think I would also prefer Direct mode, even if that meant bypassing Audyssey. Something has gotta give at the Integra's price point, and I believe it is analog input.

Do you think then that the difference between DACs is more influential on the final sound than the room itself?

post #1918 of 4286 Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post

Ran XT32 & think your Bass is to "Low",

Just as information in regards to running the Audyssey XT32.
My installing AV dealer which is an Authorized Integra Dealer ran the XT32 program on my new set-up for the HT.
That was back a week ago.

This is what I decided after listening to all different types of Movies, Concerts etc.

1st I should I think add this comment that has been made by other users that have ran the XT32.
(The Bass seems to be low)

I watched and listened to Iron Man II on Blu-Ray and the bass was not just like WOW, Awesome and Blew me away sort of thing.
Even so it was "Not" like it was not there.
Just not up to the point of you feeling like this is Bad-Ass sort of thing.

I did decide to listen to it for awhile and not just jumping in and adjusting it immediately.
Thought I would give myself time to evaluate the bass over a period of time with all different programming.
After doing this I decided to go in and adjust the Subs from what the XT32 program had set them.
I went from a -1.5 to a now +1.5 setting.

Then listened to all different Movies, Music etc. with the new settings.
Major difference in the Bass now.
It does have that Wow Factor for sure.
The Bass is not overboard or jacked up so High that is sounds Exaggerated at all.
But it now to me just has the right Sound, Feel that one would expect from 4-Mirage BPS-400 Subs.

Honestly I'm sure I could adjust the Bass even higher but I don't wish for it to be over exaggerated.
This now just seems to be a real good compromise between what the XT32 program set it at and my new adjustments.

I'm mentioning this here for those of you that run the XT32 program and feel like possibly the bass was a little low.
You might want to go into the Receiver/Pre-Amp Processor settings for Audio and adjust the Sub level up a bit.

Note, I do have the Audyssey Great Gramma Isolation pads under all 4 Mirage Subs.

Terry

A lot of us, Terry (me included) prefer our bass to be a little hot. Your +3dB seems to be fairly typical. I think that, having paid small fortunes for subs, we want to really make the most of them I prefer my bass +3dB these days too. It's fine - it's not Reference, it's Preference, but that is fine too. And because we know where we started from, we can easily go back if we wish. Kudos to you for not rushing in and for giving your ears time to acclimatise.

post #1919 of 4286 Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

A lot of us, Terry (me included) prefer our bass to be a little hot. Your +3dB seems to be fairly typical. I think that, having paid small fortunes for subs, we want to really make the most of them I prefer my bass +3dB these days too. It's fine - it's not Reference, it's Preference, but that is fine too. And because we know where we started from, we can easily go back if we wish. Kudos to you for not rushing in and for giving your ears time to acclimatise.

The first thing I do after Audyssey is bump the bass at least 3db and the center usually 2db.
post #1920 of 4286 Old 03-30-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Keith, ... I just felt like one should back off for awhile and listen to all sorts of things before jumping in and changing the Audio/Subs settings.

I watched all sorts of different Movies and I have the time to do that as I am retired now.
That being said I did not have to be concerned over how long I took to make the decision to change any Audio settings.
After reading many-many post on multiple Internet Sites about those that have ran the XT32 and made comments on "Low Bass" I knew it was not just me.
Many also had said they decided to give the XT32 Settings a chance and therefore they did not just immediately jump in and change the Sub settings.
They made perfect common sense to me so that is what I decided to do, wait !!!

But the more I listened to Movies with Bass content I just knew this was "Not" Strong enough bass content from my 4- Mirage Subs.

I gave it some more thought and decided to go slow and adjust the Subs-levels up some.
The +1.5 really seems to be a really good compromise.
Not Over-Whelming by any means.
But now you just "Feel" and "Hear" bass in those movies like IMO it was meant to be.
At a setting on the 80.3 of 80 there is certainly No-Lack of Bass now on movies like U571 & Das Boot.
Not to overlook Iron Man II & the last Transformers movie.

I think I will stay with the current +1.5 Bass Subs settings as I Do-Not wish to have the Bass content over Exaggerated.

Your right after investing $4,500.00 Plus dollars in my subs I do want to Hear & Feel them do there job.

Terry

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page