Onkyo TX-NR609 DHCP Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-19-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am unable to have my TX-NR609 connect to the Internet via Ethernet. I have a cable running from one of the ports on my AirPort Extreme base station. To verify the cable integrity I have plugged in my computer and see that the DCHP IP is 10.0.1.7 and the computer connects to the Internet fine. When I then plug the Ethernet cable into the Onkyo and set the network parameters to enable DHCP, the IP address that appears in the display is 169.xxx . I can not get the receiver to authenticate via DHCP to resolve the correct IP. I've tried unplugging this, switching to static IP and then back to DHCP with no cable, then plugging the cable back in. Each time is shows the 169.xx number which I assume must be an internal IP in the receiver. I've called Onkyo tech support however they claim they do not provide tech support on network issues. Has anyone been successful with using a wired connection into an Airport base station? Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-25-2011, 02:04 PM

Were you able to resolve this issue? I am having the same problem with my TX-NR609.

post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 AM

UPDATE: I installed the latest firmware update via USB and DHCP works fine now.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-02-2012, 03:28 PM

I have been reading the few problems some have had with the TX-NR609 connecting to the Web. I am also having a problem trying to get my unit to connect to the Web. This is the second unit I have recieved. Send first one back with same problem. What happens is, I have it connected with an Ethernet cable, unit does show an IP address, gateway and all info is correct. When it tries to initialize, it scrolls across the Display "now initializing", the net light goes steady, then after a few scrolls, the display just freezes and the net light starts to flash. Onkyo support has not been of much help, just says that shouldn't happen. Very strange that this same condition should happen on two units. I don't believe it's a Router problem, as I have a Boatload of stuff working on my Net (Sonos, Slingbox, several IP cameras and Home Automation) and all work fine. I can take this cable that fails on the Onkyo, and plug it into something else and works fine. Hopefully someone out there may have some ideas.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-06-2012, 11:03 AM

Liked: 11
Problem - Network stopped working.
My NR609 used to work and then we didnt use Pandora etc for some time. One day when I tried, it just wouldnt work. No errors, just a blank screen and a blank display on the receiver.
DId a lot of trouble shooting -
1. checked the Network wall jack by plugging in my laptop. worked fine. implied that my router was giving connections just fine.
2. Plugged the 609 back into the wall. Noted the MAC Address in the setup/Hardwar/Network option. checked the router admin page and connected clients list. The 609 Mac address was listed as one of the connected clients. That meant that the router was detecting the request for DHCP from the 609 and assigning an address (IP) to it. That meant that something was wrong inside the 609 itself.
3. Tried a firmware update via net. That also just froze, no errors, nothing.
4. Tried a firmware update via USB. It wouldnt recognise the USB stick. Once again, no errors or any "initializing.." display as suggested by Manual.
5. Then I realized that all this while I had been only doing a soft reboot by using the power off switch on the receiver which still kept the HDMI pass thru functioning. So that my TV would still receive the satellite signal even if the receiver was not in use.
6. So I powered off the receiver this time by unplugging the power source. Waited 30 seconds. PLugged it back in.
7. Plugged in the USB stick.
8. Powered on the 609.
9. Switched to USB source and this time... voila! I see the message "INitializing ... " and it detected the name of the USB stick.
10. THen I proceeded to apply the firmware update.
In hindsight, I think it was some indeterminate state in the software which was not getting reset on the receiver going to sleep when you press the power off button the remote. The complete shutdown, forced it to clear all memory and start from scratch, clearing the DHCP issue.
11. Most likely the firmware update didnt have anything to do with my issue as my net connection in 609 was working before the update.

All this was 2 days of frustration and tinkering around. Hope it saves someone else some time!
Dah Finstah likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks! I had a similar problem in that suddenly the network stopped working on my 609. After reading this thread, I unplugged it and plugged it back in and now things are working again.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 AM

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!! That was awesome. I lost my net radio for some reason. Your hard reboot worked. The internet can be great huh? Thanks again.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 PM

This worked for me!!! Basically just unplugging and waiting 30 seconds, then the receiver went into 'initializing mode' after plugging back in.

On the 'network' screen, it had some weird DHCP IP set (169.something). After unplugging, it was reset to 0.0.0.0, and then my network assigned it an IP.

Ahhhhhh!!!!!! Streaming tunes!

quote name="masterchief2007" url="/t/1361472/onkyo-tx-nr609-dhcp-problems#post_21991134"]Problem - Network stopped working.

My NR609 used to work and then we didnt use Pandora etc for some time. One day when I tried, it just wouldnt work. No errors, just a blank screen and a blank display on the receiver.

DId a lot of trouble shooting -

1. checked the Network wall jack by plugging in my laptop. worked fine. implied that my router was giving connections just fine.

2. Plugged the 609 back into the wall. Noted the MAC Address in the setup/Hardwar/Network option. checked the router admin page and connected clients list. The 609 Mac address was listed as one of the connected clients. That meant that the router was detecting the request for DHCP from the 609 and assigning an address (IP) to it. That meant that something was wrong inside the 609 itself.

3. Tried a firmware update via net. That also just froze, no errors, nothing.

4. Tried a firmware update via USB. It wouldnt recognise the USB stick. Once again, no errors or any "initializing.." display as suggested by Manual.

5. Then I realized that all this while I had been only doing a soft reboot by using the power off switch on the receiver which still kept the HDMI pass thru functioning. So that my TV would still receive the satellite signal even if the receiver was not in use.

6. So I powered off the receiver this time by unplugging the power source. Waited 30 seconds. PLugged it back in.

7. Plugged in the USB stick.

8. Powered on the 609.

9. Switched to USB source and this time... voila! I see the message "INitializing ... " and it detected the name of the USB stick.

10. THen I proceeded to apply the firmware update.

In hindsight, I think it was some indeterminate state in the software which was not getting reset on the receiver going to sleep when you press the power off button the remote. The complete shutdown, forced it to clear all memory and start from scratch, clearing the DHCP issue.

11. Most likely the firmware update didnt have anything to do with my issue as my net connection in 609 was working before the update.

All this was 2 days of frustration and tinkering around. Hope it saves someone else some time![/quote]
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page