Sub $2000 AVR - Options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a HT setup (see signature link) with a Denon 5308CI.
I have built a HT room for a friend with a Marantz

A neighbor wants a HT.
I will leave selection of other components to other theads, but looking at a sub $2000 budget for an AVR.

What would you suggest?
(More importantly) Why?


A few I have though of based on my familiarity more than anything else:

Denon
- 4311CI - $2100 MSRP, $2000 AVS store - AVS Forum
- 3312 (NEW 2011) - $1100 MSRP
- 4311/3312 comparison - link

Marantz
- SR7005 - link - $1700 MSRP - AVS Forum


Room will likely be 5.1. Dedicated (light controlled) HT room.
We will use small speakers and a sub -- as yet undetermined.
Don't anticipate external amps.

Thanks.

Mike
Mike_WI is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 09-24-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
reserved ...
Mike_WI is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 09-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
anonymouse99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Short answer, buy the most expensive amp close to but under 2,000. FYI, you can get the 4311ci for much cheaper than what you suggest.
anonymouse99 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 09-24-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Unless this is about spending as close to $2000 as possible take a look at Yamaha's top of the line A3000 - on sale on the egg today only - use promo code EMCYTZT776 and get an additional $650 off the price displayed.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is online now  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-24-2011, 04:00 PM
 
mjg100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

I have a HT setup (see signature link) with a Denon 5308CI.
I have built a HT room for a friend with a Marantz

A neighbor wants a HT.
I will leave selection of other components to other theads, but looking at a sub $2000 budget for an AVR.

What would you suggest?
(More importantly) Why?


A few I have though of based on my familiarity more than anything else:

Denon
- 4311CI - $2100 MSRP, $2000 AVS store - AVS Forum
- 3312 (NEW 2011) - $1100 MSRP
- 4311/3312 comparison - link

Marantz
- SR7005 - link - $1700 MSRP - AVS Forum


Room will likely be 5.1. Dedicated (light controlled) HT room.
We will use small speakers and a sub -- as yet undetermined.
Don't anticipate external amps.

Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike, drop me an email or call me Monday.
mjg100 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 09-25-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse99 View Post

Short answer, buy the most expensive amp close to but under 2,000. FYI, you can get the 4311ci for much cheaper than what you suggest.

He could spend more if needed.
The question is about diminishing returns.
He actually just wants something you plug in and it works and isn't about getting the latest and greatest.
I am in the position of trying to give him the best value.
I'm still thinking 4311CI, but other options may provide him what he needs.

I'll check on 4311CI pricing, just didn't want to post any non-MSRP prices.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike_WI is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 09-25-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

Hi Mike, drop me an email or call me Monday.

Mike G -

I just emailed you.
Looking at the above AVR options.
Also, my friend is ready to buy the JVC RS25 b-stock on Mon.


Mike
Mike_WI is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Unless this is about spending as close to $2000 as possible take a look at Yamaha's top of the line A3000 - on sale on the egg today only - use promo code EMCYTZT776 and get an additional $650 off the price displayed.

Thanks.
I have really never tracked the Yamaha's, so I'll take a look.
Great to have some diversity of options.

Mike

YAMAHA RX-A3000
7.2-Channel AVENTAGE Network A/V Receiver App for iPhone or iPod Touch
Quote:


AVENTAGE is a dramatic, inspired step forward in audio/video component design.
AVENTAGE brings studio-grade sound and sophisticated video enhancements to the home as a result of unparalleled attention to detail in design, engineering and fabrication.
Details that, at first glance, would not seem to affect the quality of sight, sound, and control, when brought together within an AVENTAGE component produce a work of visual and acoustic art.

The RX-A3000 A/V Receiver offers 3D and Audio Return Channel over 8 in/2 out HDMI, CINEMA DSP 3D, HQV video quality, new GUI, new YPAO with Reflected Sound Control, network functions, control via web browser, Zone 4 digital output and Control4® certification.

I am used to the Audyssey calibration (I have a Pro kit), so the Denon/Marantz lineage is an easier learning curve for me...
Mike_WI is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-25-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Thanks.
I have really never tracked the Yamaha's, so I'll take a look.
Great to have some diversity of options.

Mike

YAMAHA RX-A3000
7.2-Channel AVENTAGE Network A/V Receiver App for iPhone or iPod Touch


I am used to the Audyssey calibration (I have a Pro kit), so the Denon/Marantz lineage is an easier learning curve for me...

NAD's upper models also use Audyssey. Give them a look. An excellent vendor for these is AudioAdvisor.com Still feel like the Denon 4311 is the best one out there for what you want. And it is selling for less than what you listed. Contact AVS store for a discounted price. Good luck and enjoy.
phantom52 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

NAD's upper models also use Audyssey. Give them a look. An excellent vendor for these is AudioAdvisor.com Still feel like the Denon 4311 is the best one out there for what you want. And it is selling for less than what you listed. Contact AVS store for a discounted price. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks.

I haven't looked at NAD for a long time. Will do.
I contacted Mike at AVS for info on the AVRs above and RS25 projector.

Also on the list is Oppo BDP-93, Carada screen, etc.

Mike
Mike_WI is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off