Onkyo TX-NR3009 NEO:X Receiver Review - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 464 Old 02-17-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Just received an interesting phone call.... They are doing their own testing with a Sony VW-VPL1000ES at this exact moment...

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 464 Old 02-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Just received an interesting phone call.... They are doing their own testing with a Sony VW-VPL1000ES at this exact moment...

That's promising!

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #273 of 464 Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Nice to see they are responding to you so quickly. thanks for the info.

post #274 of 464 Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Nice to see they are responding to you so quickly. thanks for the info.

No problemo!

I am hopeful this scaling can be vastly improved for the current models as well as the next batch coming...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #275 of 464 Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I better hold onto the 1000 so I can help them do more testing.

post #276 of 464 Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

That's promising!

Let's hope so.

post #277 of 464 Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Joe other than the 4k scalling do you see onkyo doing anything more firmware wise to enhance this excellent 3009 anymore or just minor fixes if necessary. Your best guess.

post #278 of 464 Old 02-18-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Joe other than the 4k scalling do you see onkyo doing anything more firmware wise to enhance this excellent 3009 anymore or just minor fixes if necessary. Your best guess.

I was told there was one more "good" one coming then maybe a couple other minor ones. Please don't ask what good means.

post #279 of 464 Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was told there was one more "good" one coming then maybe a couple other minor ones. Please don't ask what good means.

I won't ask. Thanks though for your feedback .

post #280 of 464 Old 02-20-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Let's hope we get it before the 3010 hits! Just kidding!

post #281 of 464 Old 02-20-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The 3010 is the promised update for the 3009
post #282 of 464 Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering purchasing either the NR3009 or yamaha A3010. My concern with NR3009 is the clicking noise when changing sources, i used to have a Onkyo before and the clicking sound drove me nuts. Is it still a problem with new Onkyo's or they had been resolved in the new lineup.

Thanks.
post #283 of 464 Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenaraj View Post

I'm considering purchasing either the NR3009 or yamaha A3010. My concern with NR3009 is the clicking noise when changing sources, i used to have a Onkyo before and the clicking sound drove me nuts. Is it still a problem with new Onkyo's or they had been resolved in the new lineup.

Thanks.

very minor almost inaudible when you make certain few changes nothing near or close to what the 0007 models showed. I believe only lightly changing sound processing. hardly ever notice. not an issue.

post #284 of 464 Old 02-24-2012, 10:04 AM

Hey guys,

As a new owner of the NR3009 I am overwhelmed by the choices in setting this thing up. Can somebody post how they have set theirs up particularly all of these audio modes? I primarily view movies (ripped blurays) from a hard disk using a Dune H1 media player and don't know how to set the audio modes so the Onkyo picks the best sound mode automatically when a new movie is starting. If this has already been posted please kindly point me to where.

I have:
(1) Audyssey set to "Movie" (calibrated with all 8 positions via XT32)
(2) Dynamic EQ set to "On"
(3) Dynamic Volume set to "Off"

Also, I would like to report one issue I have had so far. The Dune media player connected into the HDMI-1 has the colors and the resolution all screwed up but the colors/resolution are fine when I directly connect the Dune to my 720p projector. This drove me crazy and I have tried many video settings including matched 720p settings on both the Dune and the NR3009 and the picture out of the Dune was still screwed up. I just gave up and bought an external HDMI switch so that the Dune video bypasses the Onkyo completely but all my other video sources stay plugged to the back of the Onkyo which is then serially plugged into the external HDMI switch (and on to the projector). The audio out of the Dune player is now connected via Coax cable to the back of the Onkyo. BTW, all of my other video sources (i.e., cable box DVR, Oppo DVD player, etc. are working great).

Thank you.
post #285 of 464 Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM

After much trial-and-error I finally found a combination of settings between the 3009 and the Dune media player that works. The media player is now directly connected to the 3009 via HDMI (without the use of an external HDMI switch). The problem was with the media player and not with the receiver.

However, the image on the screen is a little bit darker now than it was when the player was connected directly to the projector (when I was bypassing the 3009). I wonder why that is but at least all my equipment is now hooked up on the HDMI ports of the receiver. Phew!

I am still trying to figure out which audio mode is the "best" one to use for movies in my 7.2 setup with rear surrounds. There are so dam many of them to select from. I am also now shopping for a pair of speakers to use for "front heights" which I plan to mount on the ceiling above the screen and at 45 degrees to the main listening position. BTW, after full XT32 calibration Audyssey found that my existing 7 satellite speakers have -3dB crossover frequencies at 50 Hz. I probably would want the same low frequency bandwidth (50 Hz) from the new front heights as well in order to maintain a nice even distribution of bass over the 9 satellite speakers. The dual subwoofers would then be dedicated to handling the 20-50 Hz content only.

Please chime in if you have a 9.2 setup with this receiver, what speakers you are using for front heights, and what listening mode you like for watching movies. Thx.

The reason why I can't do front wides in my HT room is because on the right side at the 60-degree orientation where the FW should go I have the door to the HT.

Last night we watched Tron Legacy and I was literally blown away by the sound field in the room. (Tonight we are firing up Hot Fuzz.)
post #286 of 464 Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the 3009 running a 9.2 with the front heights with the screen centered dialogue in the home button menu set at 2. I think it sounds great. I have Paradigm Momitor 9`s with a cc290 center & Paradigm mini monitors.
I like the Audyessy dsx the best.
post #287 of 464 Old 02-28-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

I have the 3009 running a 9.2 with the front heights with the screen centered dialogue in the home button menu set at 2. I think it sounds great. I have Paradigm Momitor 9`s with a cc290 center & Paradigm mini monitors.
I like the Audyessy dsx the best.

Are the paradigm mini monitors your "front heights"?

The system does not allow me the option of "Audyssey DSX". I wonder if it's because I am running a conventional 7.2 setup with back surrounds
post #288 of 464 Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post

After much trial-and-error I finally found a combination of settings between the 3009 and the Dune media player that works. The media player is now directly connected to the 3009 via HDMI (without the use of an external HDMI switch). The problem was with the media player and not with the receiver.

However, the image on the screen is a little bit darker now than it was when the player was connected directly to the projector (when I was bypassing the 3009). I wonder why that is but at least all my equipment is now hooked up on the HDMI ports of the receiver. Phew!

I am still trying to figure out which audio mode is the "best" one to use for movies in my 7.2 setup with rear surrounds. There are so dam many of them to select from. I am also now shopping for a pair of speakers to use for "front heights" which I plan to mount on the ceiling above the screen and at 45 degrees to the main listening position. BTW, after full XT32 calibration Audyssey found that my existing 7 satellite speakers have -3dB crossover frequencies at 50 Hz. I probably would want the same low frequency bandwidth (50 Hz) from the new front heights as well in order to maintain a nice even distribution of bass over the 9 satellite speakers. The dual subwoofers would then be dedicated to handling the 20-50 Hz content only.

Please chime in if you have a 9.2 setup with this receiver, what speakers you are using for front heights, and what listening mode you like for watching movies. Thx.

The reason why I can't do front wides in my HT room is because on the right side at the 60-degree orientation where the FW should go I have the door to the HT.

Last night we watched Tron Legacy and I was literally blown away by the sound field in the room. (Tonight we are firing up Hot Fuzz.)

The wides don't have to be exactly 60. Audyssey says within 10 degrees is ok.

I would still keep my crossover at 80hz (not 50 hz) so my satellites did not have to work so hard on the mid bass but that is a personal choice.

Try to get as much vertical separation as you can between your LCRs and the front heights for the best effect.
post #289 of 464 Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post

Are the paradigm mini monitors your "front heights"?

The system does not allow me the option of "Audyssey DSX". I wonder if it's because I am running a conventional 7.2 setup with back surrounds

The mini monitors are my front heights.
I have no idea why you don`t have the option of DSX.Mavbe it has something to do with the settings on the Dune. I get the DSX option through the Time Warner box & my Oppo.
post #290 of 464 Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let's hope we get it before the 3010 hits! Just kidding!

hello Joe. Has onkyo made any progress on the 0009 scaling yet that you know or can say. Things have gotten very quiet on these units at this time.

post #291 of 464 Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I like it better quiet than having to worry about all kinds of reports of unfriendly bugs and problems keeping this thread furiously alive.
post #292 of 464 Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

I like it better quiet than having to worry about all kinds of reports of unfriendly bugs and problems keeping this thread furiously alive.

Thats the truth. Amazing as on ly models the 1008/3008/5008 threads were blazing. Either these are really better or they havent sold many. lol Lovin mine though.

post #293 of 464 Old 03-12-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I actually am selling my 3009 if anyone is interested. I have a few in house that I need to get Reviews done.

post #294 of 464 Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually am selling my 3009 if anyone is interested. I have a few in house that I need to get Reviews done.

Now that you are leaving us behind on this thread LOL, can you expand on the 4k issue and what Onkyo if anything is going to do to adress it .

post #295 of 464 Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Now that you are leaving us behind on this thread LOL, can you expand on the 4k issue and what Onkyo if anything is going to do to adress it .

I am not going anywhere. I have two of their newer units here (entry levels) and just hate to have it sit in the box for a long period of time. I plan to jump back into one early summer.

post #296 of 464 Old 03-13-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not going anywhere. I have two of their newer units here (entry levels) and just hate to have it sit in the box for a long period of time. I plan to jump back into one early summer.

Glad to hear. Will be interesting to see what you think of the newer units. Seems there is not a lot they can improve major in the new ones. I do believe this is one of the best and I as you have had a lot. (mabey not as many as you lol ). Really it seems only thing as far as i am concerned would be able to do 11.2 even just the ability with external amps. Of course improvement on 4K based on your initial revue which at this time I have no display available for that. Some do wish for Audessey pro also.

post #297 of 464 Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am pushing them hard for those.

post #298 of 464 Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 493
For very different reasons I am selling my 5009.

Please see my ad if interested or PM me.
post #299 of 464 Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

For very different reasons I am selling my 5009.

Please see my ad if interested or PM me.

My 3009 is already gone. I would not hesitate a second taking FilmMixer's. If anyone is interested it is a great chance to jump into a 5009....

post #300 of 464 Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My 3009 is already gone. I would not hesitate a second taking FilmMixer's. If anyone is interested it is a great chance to jump into a 5009....

Wow he is offering a great unit at an amazing price. If I believed how great these 0009's were I would have bought the 5009 instead of the great 3009. definately a big +1 on your statement.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr3009
Gear in this thread - Nr3009 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page