post #391 of 464 Old 04-07-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

My understanding is that Dolby volume is similar to Audyssey Dynamic volume not Dynamic EQ.

It actually is similar to both... it handles both dynamics and spectral balance at various volumes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 464 Old 04-08-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone have the serial protocol for this AVR? I downloaded a on-line owners manual and it wasn't there.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #393 of 464 Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am considering getting a 3009 to replace my 905. I have a few questions that I would appreciate some advice on.

1. I am using an anti mode at the moment, will I still need to use this with the 3009?

2. I don't have much extra width to accommodate wide front speakers but can add heights. I read that wide speakers are required to get the benefit of DSX but will it be worth adding just heights?

3. If I only add heights is it better to use pliiz or DSX?

4. I use a combination of KEF XQ's and IQ's at the moment, will KEF eggs be ok for height (and wide if I can accommodate them) or is it best to look for some more IQ,s?

5. I use iRule at the moment, can I control the 3009 directly via the Ethernet connection or will I still need an itach device?

6. I was looking for a chart showing speaker positioning on the Audyssey site but couldn't find one. Anyone got a link for a diagram?

7. I read that wide front and height speakers are more important than surround rears. What are your thoughts on moving my Q2DS speakers from surround back to surround and using my IQ1's that are currently on the surround channel to the front, and not having surround back speakers at all?

8. Anybody here moved from a 905 to any of the 300x/500x series. If so what were your first impressions?

9. Is there any still any chance of Airplay or full 11.2 being implemented?

Thanks for any replies,

Graham
post #394 of 464 Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Height for Movies and DSX for Sports.

If I get a chance later I will look at your other questions. I am getting into a vehicle.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #395 of 464 Old 04-14-2012, 12:20 PM

Liked: 10
Hi,

I would be grateful if anyone has got any replies to my questions. I am still considering the 3009, 5009 or Denon 4311

Thanks

Graham
post #396 of 464 Old 04-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Height for Movies and DSX for Sports.

If I get a chance later I will look at your other questions. I am getting into a vehicle.

Do you ever find yourself missing the back surrounds on movies with the front heights and wides engaged? Or do you feel that the height and wides more than make up the loss of the backs on movies, esp of the action/scifi/horror genre.

Do I understand correctly you can still have back surrounds active with EITHER front heights OR wides?
post #397 of 464 Old 04-14-2012, 02:47 PM

If I perform a firmware upgrade do I have to re-do the Audyssey XT32 setup on my 5009 or are the settings from the prior Audyssey setup retained in the unit's memory?? I'm not so much concerned with the distance/level/crossover settings for each channel as I have recorded these, but rather the "hidden" frequency/delay adjustments Audyssey makes to each channel to correct for room acoustics, etc.
post #398 of 464 Old 04-27-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
No matter what, i always would do a new measurement, because internal parameters and algorithms for Audyssey might have changed by the new firmware influencing a already setup system.
There have been reports, that the latest firmware update (March 2012) will improve the listening experience quite a bit, although not documented in the change notes by Onkyo.
post #399 of 464 Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

There have been reports, that the latest firmware update (March 2012) will improve the listening experience quite a bit, although not documented in the change notes by Onkyo.

In those reports, was the improved listening experience noticed right after the firmware update was installed, or only after Audyssey was re-run in the new firmware environment?
post #400 of 464 Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

Do you ever find yourself missing the back surrounds on movies with the front heights and wides engaged? Or do you feel that the height and wides more than make up the loss of the backs on movies, esp of the action/scifi/horror genre.

Do I understand correctly you can still have back surrounds active with EITHER front heights OR wides?

We don't miss the backs or rears at all. They are all firing perfectly. The rears and backs are not to distract but to add to the experience when well placed in some scenes...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #401 of 464 Old 04-28-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

No matter what, i always would do a new measurement, because internal parameters and algorithms for Audyssey might have changed by the new firmware influencing a already setup system.

It sure does. It makes them as good as the gen coming out...

Of course that is 50% speculation.

post #402 of 464 Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a curious question. Has anyone noticed a discernable difference in theyre audio when adding an external amp to theyre 3009 or 5009. I have an emo xpa1 powering my center and a upa2 my front left and right. The speakers are all B#W 600s center and 685 with two big 18" powered subs in a 9.2 configuration. To me they sound great with both the ext amps and internal amps. Just curious if anyone else really hears a big or small difference. The reason I ask is considering selling my two amps for an XPA-5

post #403 of 464 Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Just a curious question. Has anyone noticed a discernable difference in theyre audio when adding an external amp to theyre 3009 or 5009. I have an emo xpa1 powering my center and a upa2 my front left and right. The speakers are all B#W 600s center and 685 with two big 18" powered subs in a 9.2 configuration. To me they sound great with both the ext amps and internal amps. Just curious if anyone else really hears a big or small difference. The reason I ask is considering selling my two amps for an XPA-5

I always have ever since I became a Separates fan. I have a 5 channel amp now running all my Fronts. The 3009 (or whatever I am using) handles the Rears and Backs.

post #404 of 464 Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I always have ever since I became a Separates fan. I have a 5 channel amp now running all my Fronts. The 3009 (or whatever I am using) handles the Rears and Backs.

Thanks I like the way mine sounds now but I think eventlually will got the 5 ext amp route and set the 1 and 2 channel. I like the emo amps by the way.

post #405 of 464 Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

I've had separates in my system...

I think it's so hard to be objective knowing you have an amp in your system to make a comparison to when you didn't...

I think for a lot of people it's going to be hard to get rid of the placebo of knowing they have spent the money and time putting in a more powerful amp.

I'm used to listening to "over" amplified systems all day long... by that I mean we always have way more power than needed, to obviously reach the required SPL's, but to do so without noticeable distortion...

I found the 5009 amps to be superb and don't think anything could be gained in fidelity and power by adding an external amp.. I would expect for most the same to be true of the 3009.

At least not in any reasonably sized home theater with fairly good and reasonably efficient speakers...

IMO, you're not going to see any performance gain that justifies the expense.
post #406 of 464 Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Joerod and filmiMixer for the replies. I do think most of it is placebo. Probably will keep it as is for the time being and mabey eventually just go withg the 3009 amps or up grade to the XPA 5.

post #407 of 464 Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks Joerod and filmiMixer for the replies. I do think most of it is placebo. Probably will keep it as is for the time being and mabey eventually just go withg the 3009 amps or up grade to the XPA 5.

I've went back and forth so many times and I know louder does not mean better but even my Wife can tell when I have the Parasound A51 in the mix. Voices have more clarity and details are more distinct. Of course having good speakers is key and the BG Radia fronts I am using are amazing!

Sure the 3009 could handle everything on its own but a good boost doesn't hurt.

post #408 of 464 Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've went back and forth so many times and I know louder does not mean better but even my Wife can tell when I have the Parasound A51 in the mix. Voices have more clarity and details are more distinct. Of course having good speakers is key and the BG Radia fronts I am using are amazing!

Sure the 3009 could handle everything on its own but a good boost doesn't hurt.

Yes I agree. O course me I downsized my speakers last fall to the B&W 685's so I do not need that much power but I tend to agree with the smaller emos the big difference I think is in the clarity and detail Probably as I said Ill kep the pair of amps I have and down the road go with the 5channel bigger XPA 5 the emos are not bad considering the prices. Definately though the 3009 is a keeper its a great amp and I am so glad I read your revview when I was looking.

post #409 of 464 Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Can anyone confirm the March update improving the audio? Everything's working great in my 3009, so I took the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. If I do the update, should I also recalibrate/remeasure audyssey to get the benefit?
BTW, I run my PSB stratus Silveri fronts channels off an old Harmon Kardon Citation 24 amp, the PSB center and sides off the 3009. I figure that with a separate amps pulling the biggest speakers, the Onkyo has plenty of breathing room. The SVS PC12+ and PB12+ power themselves, and also take a load off the amps by handling the low frequencies where speakers would typically pose the most difficult loads.
post #410 of 464 Old 05-05-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.West View Post

Can anyone confirm the March update improving the audio? Everything's working great in my 3009, so I took the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. If I do the update, should I also recalibrate/remeasure audyssey to get the benefit?
BTW, I run my PSB stratus Silveri fronts channels off an old Harmon Kardon Citation 24 amp, the PSB center and sides off the 3009. I figure that with a separate amps pulling the biggest speakers, the Onkyo has plenty of breathing room. The SVS PC12+ and PB12+ power themselves, and also take a load off the amps by handling the low frequencies where speakers would typically pose the most difficult loads.

It wouldn't hurt. Actually depending on update parameters it doesn't hurt to redo audyssey sometimes.

post #411 of 464 Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Working on my BG Radia speaker review using a new 3009. Feels good to be back home.

I highly suggest doing the new update.

post #412 of 464 Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi FilmMixer.

I am looking for an AV receiver so I would value your opinion.

I believe you recently sold your Onkyo 5009 and replaced it with a Denon 4311CI. Which one do you prefer? Is there some other AV receiver you prefer over those?

Finally, what is your setup?

Thanks,

Kokishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I've had separates in my system...

I think it's so hard to be objective knowing you have an amp in your system to make a comparison to when you didn't...

I think for a lot of people it's going to be hard to get rid of the placebo of knowing they have spent the money and time putting in a more powerful amp.

I'm used to listening to "over" amplified systems all day long... by that I mean we always have way more power than needed, to obviously reach the required SPL's, but to do so without noticeable distortion...

I found the 5009 amps to be superb and don't think anything could be gained in fidelity and power by adding an external amp.. I would expect for most the same to be true of the 3009.

At least not in any reasonably sized home theater with fairly good and reasonably efficient speakers...

IMO, you're not going to see any performance gain that justifies the expense.

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #413 of 464 Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Selling a 5009 in favor of a 4311 should have been a decent money gain.
The 4311 is excellent and worth it for what prices they are being sold at lately. However I like (love) the Onkyo video processing too much to keep me away. I am back using a new 3009 and I couldn't be more happier. Sound is great as well. Of course anyone would and should be happy owing either or.

post #414 of 464 Old 05-16-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is an unusual fact in my case. Since I purchased the 3009 I have used various amps to power my front three channels. As I stated above I had a Emo upa-1 and upa-2 nice amps but other than being dedicated amps not really more powerful than the onks. I always seemed to be concerned about how dudessey would balance out. I constantly had to adjust the subs and center which never seemed quit ritght. Last week I removed the emos and re set audessey. I must say there was a trementous improvement all around center subs surrounds sounded way better than I ever had. My unprofessional guess that mabey the emo amps and the prior small ones were not a good match for the Onkyo. I was thinking of going with an EMO XPA-5 but now reluctant to make a change if anything might upgrade my front l/r speakeers instead.

post #415 of 464 Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Here is an unusual fact in my case. Since I purchased the 3009 I have used various amps to power my front three channels. As I stated above I had a Emo upa-1 and upa-2 nice amps but other than being dedicated amps not really more powerful than the onks. I always seemed to be concerned about how dudessey would balance out. I constantly had to adjust the subs and center which never seemed quit ritght. Last week I removed the emos and re set audessey. I must say there was a trementous improvement all around center subs surrounds sounded way better than I ever had. My unprofessional guess that mabey the emo amps and the prior small ones were not a good match for the Onkyo. I was thinking of going with an EMO XPA-5 but now reluctant to make a change if anything might upgrade my front l/r speakeers instead.

I would sell all your Emotiva amps and put those funds to one higher end one. Even the new Parasound 3 channel amp would be awesome. Have it do your fronts and center. I never had true separate sound until I started getting better amps. That began with a BK 200.7.

post #416 of 464 Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would sell all your Emotiva amps and put those funds to one higher end one. Even the new Parasound 3 channel amp would be awesome. Have it do your fronts and center. I never had true separate sound until I started getting better amps. That began with a BK 200.7.

Joe:

Thankjs for the feedback. I kinda figured thats where you would go. I sold the Emos yesterday they are popular and go fast. I definately think they are a great value but a bit over rated. Even the xpa-3 or 5 would not do the job as would a higher quality amp as you suggest. Though I am quite happpy with the way the onk amps sound at present and could got the quality amp route mabey in the future. I still think I am going to tru to upgrade my nice B&W 685's a bit. Looking at the 683's if I can swing it soon.

post #417 of 464 Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Joe:

Thankjs for the feedback. I kinda figured thats where you would go. I sold the Emos yesterday they are popular and go fast. I definately think they are a great value but a bit over rated. Even the xpa-3 or 5 would not do the job as would a higher quality amp as you suggest. Though I am quite happpy with the way the onk amps sound at present and could got the quality amp route mabey in the future. I still think I am going to tru to upgrade my nice B&W 685's a bit. Looking at the 683's if I can swing it soon.

You'll probably hear a bigger difference upgrading your speakers rather than adding an external amp. The Onkyo's internal amps are of good quality, only the most inefficient speakers will make them stumble.
post #418 of 464 Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I always seemed to be concerned about how dudessey would balance out.

For those who may not know, Dudessey is the Audyssey special preset for playback of "The Big Lebowski."

AJ
post #419 of 464 Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

For those who may not know, Dudessey is the Audyssey special preset for playback of "The Big Lebowski."

AJ

excuse me I forgot the error police were watching

post #420 of 464 Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:

excuse me I forgot the error police were watching

Well, now you know.