Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 464 Old 12-20-2011, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

From the USA site, the zip file seems to be corrupt for both the 3009 and 5009...

Anyone want to take a stab at downloading and unzipping the package? I'm pretty sure it's broken.

As another side note, and this has happened twice, if I try and update via the Net (and all of my internet functionality as well as iOS control work fine) as soon as I hit via Net, the receive locks up with a display error 5-01... if I power cycle, HDMI is dead... only way to fix is a factory reset.... not fun.. lose all Audyssey setup info, etc.

I haven't updated yet, but when the last firmware came out I had the same error. Did you have only your receiver and TV on? Last time I had my Cable box on and that caused an error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 464 Old 12-20-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

I haven't updated yet, but when the last firmware came out I had the same error. Did you have only your receiver and TV on? Last time I had my Cable box on and that caused an error.

Haven't tried that yet without power on sources. I am actually thrilled with the new calibration so I'm not going to rush to try it again.

And Onkyo CS confirmed the FW on the site is indeed corrupt. We will see how long it takes them to fix it.
post #93 of 464 Old 12-20-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Haven't tried that yet without power on sources. I am actually thrilled with the new calibration so I'm not going to rush to try it again.

And Onkyo CS confirmed the FW on the site is indeed corrupt. We will see how long it takes them to fix it.

Wow nice QC testing there onkyo.
post #94 of 464 Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I ran the firmware eaarly this evening over the net. it froze twice during the download error 54 olr something I do not remember. I power cycled the two times. The third It went complete till it said completed. I powered off and it powered on and all ran well. Noticed nothing different though. The first two times I used the remote and the third I used the controls on the receiver. My cable box was on but I did the upgrade with it tuned to a inactive source button.

post #95 of 464 Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 PM

Unsuccessfully tried to update via wired Internet connection. I tried it five times no dice, I didn't want to keep turning the receiver on and off so I quit it for now. Just a tip you don't have reset the avr if you get an error, just turn off and unplug it and wait a few moments. Your settings will be retained.
post #96 of 464 Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=Aggie94;21369776]
Returning the Onkyo today, ordered the 3312CI...saved about $1300 too!

Well, back to the Onkyo 3009 now. Quality of the sound on Onkyo was so noticeable to the Denon that I am willing to deal with the analog only Zone2/3. Decided quality of the main zone and the $1300 was well worth it.
post #97 of 464 Old 12-21-2011, 09:05 AM

I was finally able to update the firmware last night, I tried one last time before I went to sleep and it worked. It went through 3 different writing processes.

So far the only thing I have noticed with the update is that it fixes the DTS bomb issue with the Star Wars Episode IV disc when you skip to specific chapters.
post #98 of 464 Old 12-21-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

Notice of Firmware Update for TX-NR3009A firmware update for the TX-NR3009 network A/V receiver is available through the unit's network connection or USB input. Please note that new firmware updates replace, and include all content from, previous updates. The latest update includes the following content:

Latest Firmware Number (16 digits): 1061-0500-0110-3101As of 20 December 2011
Improves noise during playback of DTS-HD Master Audio with particular Blu-ray disc;

Corrects operation of Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 in Bi-Amp mode;

Stabilizes audio output when Zone 2 (or 3) is turned on before the main power;
This fix is only applied for Pre-Amp models.

Too bad no 11.2 or Pro. C'mon Onkyo please give this to us soon. I wouldn't mind getting Airplay too. Joerod if you could mention to your contacts at Onkyo it would be great.

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #99 of 464 Old 12-21-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Wow nice QC testing there onkyo.

Partially my fault...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #100 of 464 Old 12-21-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

[quote=Aggie94;21379300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie94 View Post

Returning the Onkyo today, ordered the 3312CI...saved about $1300 too!

Well, back to the Onkyo 3009 now. Quality of the sound on Onkyo was so noticeable to the Denon that I am willing to deal with the analog only Zone2/3. Decided quality of the main zone and the $1300 was well worth it.

Oh yeah.

post #101 of 464 Old 12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Too bad no 11.2 or Pro. C'mon Onkyo please give this to us soon. I wouldn't mind getting Airplay too. Joerod if you could mention to your contacts at Onkyo it would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Are you inferring that this firmware that was released yesterday includes something not documented?

As a side note, the "fixed" FW file is up today.. however, my unit failed in trying to update with USB...

After 5 attempts (since I lost video output once again) and not wanting to redo my calibration, the net update downloaded and the unit appears to be updating..

I don't consider myself an average consumer, but theses update failures and loss of HDMI output are wholly frustrating to me, and I imagine there are not so savvy consumers who would think there unit bricked after the first failure and wouldn't know to try 4 or more times to get it to stick....
post #102 of 464 Old 12-21-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Are you inferring that this firmware that was released yesterday includes something not documented?

As a side note, the "fixed" FW file is up today.. however, my unit failed in trying to update with USB...

After 5 attempts (since I lost video output once again) and not wanting to redo my calibration, the net update downloaded and the unit appears to be updating..

I don't consider myself an average consumer, but theses update failures and loss of HDMI output are wholly frustrating to me, and I imagine there are not so savvy consumers who would think there unit bricked after the first failure and wouldn't know to try 4 or more times to get it to stick....

I hear yah...I too found this frustrating...5 times a charm for me. Luckily you won't lose your previous settings if an error happens all you have to do is unplug the unit and then try again. Also in regards to 11.2, pro and Airplay that's just a wish list I have for further firmware upgrades. I just wanted Joerod to pass the word to his contacts with 11.2 at the top of the list.
post #103 of 464 Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Mine updated ok on the second try through USB. The first try there was an error as soon as I started. Weird!
post #104 of 464 Old 12-21-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am working with them on the other most requested feature and will push for it to be released sooner than later. Yes, I will try and make sure the next one goes easier. Sorry guys...

post #105 of 464 Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am working with them on the other most requested feature and will push for it to be released sooner than later. Yes, I will try and make sure the next one goes easier. Sorry guys...

What do they deem the most requested feature?

For me, it's Audyssey Pro capability.. for others it might be 11.2 (IMO, Airplay would be great, but since there are so many other streaming solutions available, I don't think it's a necessity.)

And what position are you in to "push" for a quick release? just curious...

How are you going to make sure the next one goes smoother? No offense, but I don't see how an end user, even one with "connections," can fix their obviously broken upgrade system (and I had the same failure issues with the 10/30 FW update (i.e. lost HDMI, had to reset, etc...)

When you say "sorry guys" it makes you seem like an agent for the company, with some kind of bearing on their doings.

It's obvious they are careless enough to post a FW file that is incomplete and corrupt without doing even an internal confidence check download to make sure the zip file was good before going live... I had to spend 30 minutes on the phone with CS, and after suffering though the basic questions multiple times ("have you downloaded the zip file and unzipped it?" "Yes, it is corrupt and doesn't unzip." "Well have you downloaded it?" "etc, etc, etc...") they downloaded it on their end and confirmed it was no good.

I was happy that they replaced it with a good file within 24 hours (the original file was ~13 mess and the new one is ~26... how hard is that to verify before posting?)

My point is, Joe, that while I appreciate you "insider' insight," it is obvious they don't internally take care and caution with their testing and/or QC (and as I said, FW updates have been problematic since the unit was released, and this isn't their first rodeo..)

I've been critical of you in the past for posting obviously proprietary information (i.e. "most requested feature is coming soon, but I can't tell you what it is".)

While they might be ok with you doing so, it makes me more frustrated with them as a company that they can't plug the communication and customer service holes that plague them.... it'd be great if they had an employee who monitored these threads and participated, or hired someone like you as a consultant and authorized agent for the company.

In the end I think they'd sell more of this fantastic line of receivers if they told people what was coming down the pike and fixed their software delivery system, instead of relying on you to tease their customers (I don't know if they are aware of what you post, if you are under NDA, are an official company sponsored tester, etc...)

What I do find frustrating with your posts, however, is that you promised that the new firmware had something special in it.. here it is, and there's nothing new, and now you are saying they are working on it and it might come down the pike in the near future.....

Quote:

It mainly makes it more stable with HDMI and other devices. Not to mention a little extra something...

You are here promising something from Onkyo without working for them, and you have access to proprietary information, yet all you can say is you can't say... if I were Onkyo, I don't know how I'd feel about this.

In the end, I think they are their own worst enemy in growing their market share...

I love my 5009, and think it is ahead of what their competition offers at this price point in terms of amplification, sound quality, video processing and networking features (minus AirPlay, Audyssey Pro and 11.2.)

They've always been bleeding edge (much like Denon...)

Just wish they'd give that kind of attention to the things that are so much easier to implement, like posting a good FW file, doing QC in house for upgrade instead of us users figuring it out, and more aggressive, competent customer service.

Just my .02.
post #106 of 464 Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

I have a Onkyo 875 I have been happy with. However the display went out on me a few days ago. Luckily this does not look like it will be all that difficult to fix. However I am getting the bug to get something new and since I must remove my 875 from the rack to fix the dim display I might as well replace it with something new. A 3D television is also in the future so the 3009 or any new Onkyo will make me 3D ready.

My question is this 3009 a 2011 equivalent of the 875 or is it a few steps above now? I looked at the 1009 but it did not seem as solidly built and it lacks THX Ultra standards. Price wise the 1009 is about equal to what I paid for my 875 so I am a bit confused. The 3009 sure looks nice with loads of new features but it sure comes at a high cost compared to what I got my 875 for.
post #107 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 3009 is much more than a 875. Not only do you get the newer sound modes but you get much better video processing. Comparisons between them is just not fair.

post #108 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Great points Film Mixer. I will stop posting any info I happen to come across now and in the future. If I happen to have a firmware with AP I will not even post that. It's probably best everyone just wait and see what Onkyo does. I will only discuss the features that are available now within each unit. Sorry for the disappointment.

For the record I am not an employee of Onkyo. They do not read this forum either.

Have a good Holiday Season everyone.

post #109 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just set up my new Onkyo 3009 last night. Very nice upgrade from my 807.
Bought it as an "open box" special 25% below MSRP via Onecall. It looked to me that the box had never been opened.
I have dual SVS subwoofers, a PC12+ and a PB12+, and PSB stratus speakers for front, center and sides. (5.2 config). After initial Audyssey setup, it seems very nice. But given that it was 11pm, I haven't done any serious listening yet.

What I noticed was a lot more choices - can anyone advise on default settings? One major difference I noticed was the ablity to choose video processing settings by input. To me, though, it looked better to choose "direct" and let the signal go straight to my Sony VW95 projector without processing. This seems especially true for my Oppo BD93, but I'm wondering if I can improve my Cablevision box signal by chosing something other than "direct".

I also noticed that there are audio settings to choose from for each input- "cinema" vs "music" for example. Various volume compression schemes also.

Is anyone willing to share their favorite settings for their various uses? E.g. blue rays, vs cable, vs music.

Is there a thread that covers this already via the 5008-3008? Most of that thread now seems to be bickering or bitching about irrelevant stuff.
post #110 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.West View Post

I just set up my new Onkyo 3009 last night. Very nice upgrade from my 807.
Bought it as an "open box" special 25% below MSRP via Onecall. It looked to me that the box had never been opened.
I have dual SVS subwoofers, a PC12+ and a PB12+, and PSB stratus speakers for front, center and sides. (5.2 config). After initial Audyssey setup, it seems very nice. But given that it was 11pm, I haven't done any serious listening yet.

What I noticed was a lot more choices - can anyone advise on default settings? One major difference I noticed was the ablity to choose video processing settings by input. To me, though, it looked better to choose "direct" and let the signal go straight to my Sony VW95 projector without processing. This seems especially true for my Oppo BD93, but I'm wondering if I can improve my Cablevision box signal by chosing something other than "direct".

I also noticed that there are audio settings to choose from for each input- "cinema" vs "music" for example. Various volume compression schemes also.

Is anyone willing to share their favorite settings for their various uses? E.g. blue rays, vs cable, vs music.

Is there a thread that covers this already via the 5008-3008? Most of that thread now seems to be bickering or bitching about irrelevant stuff.

Nice find on the deal you got. In regards to your video settings in the setup menu under input/output assign select monitor out. Set resolution to source, this way you individually tweak your video for each source. This is a global setting meaning if anything other than source is selected any changes here will apply to all sources bd/DVD cbl/sat etc.

Now you can tweak the video for each individual source by going into the source setup (4) and selecting picture adjust. Here you can select the picture mode for each source. So if you like direct mode better for your OPPO you can choose that and it will only affect the BD/DVD source input. If want to tweak the video you can only do this by selecting the custom mode. Here you can adjust edge enhancement gamma etc. You can do this for each source, to switch sources just press the desired source on your remote such as BD/DVD to make changes for that source and so forth. I personally like ISF night for BD and custom for Cable so I can adjust the picture.

In regards to audio just use cinema curve for movies and music curve for music as a rule of thumb, however if you use any THX mode apparently you need to use the music setting as per Chris from Audyssey. Since I live in a condo I like using my compression schemes for movies I prefer audyssey to dolby volume but for cable tv I actually like dolby volume as I find it does a better job levelling the volume between the program and commercials. I always have Dynamic EQ engaged as well as I rarely listen at reference levels, take note however if you have Dolby Volume on Dynamic EQ is not available.
post #111 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 3009 is much more than a 875. Not only do you get the newer sound modes but you get much better video processing. Comparisons between them is just not fair.

Yeah I researched the heck out of the 3009 and it does indeed look for more substantial then my 875. I believe the last years 3008 was the more direct replacement for the 875. Looks like this year Onkyo went in a new direction with far more substantial features and price. Hopefully they got the build quality up. I sure like the way my 875 sounds and its feature set for its era was pretty darn good and I got my 875 for less then what the 1009 is now selling for so it offered great value. Out of the box the 875 looked well made but it did not take long before people started blowing HDMI boards and displays started failing. More then a few went up in smoke after a short while. Mine however continued to truck right a long with zero issues until yesterday when the display went out (an easy fix). I believe the trick is adequate ventilation as mine had plenty and it only runs slightly warm to the touch.

Even though I was concerned about Onkyo quality I stuck with it because of the sound quality and features you got. I briefly tried out a Pioneer Elite SC-07 a few years ago when they had some sort of fire sale at BB. I got what looked like an awesome receiver for a price I could not pass up. With the ICE amps I thought I was in for a treat. Although the receiver was incredibly clean sounding I just could not get any real volume out of it and it sounded so flat in comparison. I don't know maybe I got a defective unit but in the end I thought my Onkyo 875 was better. Maybe not as clean sounding as the Pioneer SC-07 but certainly more clear and louder. So the SC-07 went back and I was sold on Onkyo for a long while.

Last month ordered the 809 blu ray player for the future 3D capability so I might as well order a new receiver to go with it although originally I was just going to wait it out until I had to. I figure by next summer I will have a 3D display so I might as well get all my ducks in a row now.

LOL...what is insane is I am not even that huge of a 3D fan. Its only cool for a select group of novelty movies. However my next equipment will have to support it as most of your better equipment has it anyway.

The next 10 days are a Cluster *BLEEP* but once we get through the holidays I plan to order a 3009. Hopefully no surprises come up as funds are slightly tighter now days then in the past. If this thing was selling for what I got my 875 for I would have bought it in a heart beat.
post #112 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It's still a safe bet to get the 3009. It will go great with the 808 Blu ray player. That will make one nice set up.

post #113 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's still a safe bet to get the 3009. It will go great with the 808 Blu ray player. That will make one nice set up.

I think once we get past the Holidays I will order a 3009. Its new feature set is making me want it more and sadly my 875 is no longer current. Also it will be my first experience with Dolby Volume and Audyssey Dynamic Volume. Not sure exactly how these work but I assume it helps even out soundtracks with super loud explosions and soft voices. This is kind of cool but annoying late at night especially with action films. So having an option to even out the mix is pretty cool.

One question I have and its an odd one but I am a purist. When I watch an older film recorded in Mono I want it to come right out of the center speaker. I am not sure how I did it but when I watch a Mono movie with my 875 it automatically says "Mono" in the display and outputs the center speaker only without touching a button. I believe old school mono for films is a part of the THX spec and included in all THX certified equipment but not really sure if this is still the case. I am sure the 3009 has this ability but I just have to ask.

Even better is the ability to enable the so called "Academy filter" or also known as the "Academy Curve" to the mono mix. Older films were recorded with extra high end to make up for the lack of high end capabilities of theaters of the day. These films can sound bright and harsh at home if they have not been remixed. Any sort of Academy filter option is extremely rare now days and its not really needed as most films have been remixed. I did have an old THX pre/pro system from the early 90's that had an "Academy Filter" option. It did help remove the harshness on some laserdisc from that era. Again though not needed as much now days. In fact its not just old mono films but many films in general had the so called Academy Curve and might even be present today. I know when a modern cinema is EQ'ed they roll the highs off.

Hmm I am willing to bet Audyssey does essentially the same thing and the THX modes had similar curves anyway
post #114 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great points Film Mixer. I will stop posting any info I happen to come across now and in the future. If I happen to have a firmware with AP I will not even post that. It's probably best everyone just wait and see what Onkyo does. I will only discuss the features that are available now within each unit. Sorry for the disappointment.

For the record I am not an employee of Onkyo. They do not read this forum either.

Have a good Holiday Season everyone.

Joe:

i wish you and yours a great holliday also. Just to let you know some of us really appreciate your sharing of what information you can and realize in many cases it has to be limited. More times you are on target than not. A lot of your reviews and opinions have guided me to equiptment That I might have passed over. For example the 30o9 which I am currrently getting a lot of pleasure and enjoyment out of. Again thanks for all your efforts and do not let negative imput discourage you. Just my .02

post #115 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Joe:

i wish you and yours a great holliday also. Just to let you know some of us really appreciate your sharing of what information you can and realize in many cases it has to be limited. More times you are on target than not. A lot of your reviews and opinions have guided me to equiptment That I might have passed over. For example the 30o9 which I am currrently getting a lot of pleasure and enjoyment out of. Again thanks for all your efforts and do not let negative imput discourage you. Just my .02

Thanks William. I sincerely appreciate your kind words.

post #116 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Joe:

+1

Joerod, I've always appreciated the info you have provided. With my 805 you provided me with the update to get rid of the DTS bomb way sooner than Onkyo was able to provide it on their website. I really like the insider info you give as it shows me that Onkyo is working on ways to make this awesome AVR better. I do realize you are unofficial and probably bound not to give details on the updates before they are out. Now hopefully they listen to the feedback we have given you and get us a firmware soon for 11.2, Pro and airplay. All the best for the holidays.
post #117 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joe:

William.. I don't think my comments were negative.

However, I just find information that is no information isn't helpful.

And as it turned out, joe hinted at a new feature that ended up not being in the software...

Just my .02.
post #118 of 464 Old 12-22-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

William.. I don't think my comments were negative.

However, I just find information that is no information isn't helpful.

And as it turned out, joe hinted at a new feature that ended up not being in the software...

Just my .02.

Most of Joes information is valuable he has no control of bkugs in the firmware no if they decide not to release firmware they know is not ready yet.. Look at the crying because of the bad file. Although they responded a lot quicker than most would.
Just fyi I also do read a lot of your posts and look forward to your valuable opinions and reviews on new equiptment,. You also have a great holliday.
By the way my preference would be 11.2 Just my guess I think neither is forthcomming. Onkyo just announced some new tech for 2012 mabey one of these will be the littloe something extra. Some times the anticipation is better than the result.

post #119 of 464 Old 12-23-2011, 05:27 AM

Hi Joe, Hi Onkyo owners,

Since a couple of days,I am the proud owner of a 5009 receiver.
However, I experience a problem with the MAIN HDMI output.
I have tried several a factory reset, the latest 20 december firmware, several (high end) HDMI cables and several blu ray players.
The main HDMI output is not true HD (1080P 24 FPS) compatible: it has a frame rate problem-> it outputs 23.97 hz x 26.96 Khz in stead of 23.978 hz (23.98) x 26.98 Khz.
This works like a charm, when I connect the blu ray players directly with my beamer.
And this also works ok via the HDMI SUB output, bu then I have no access to the on screen display.
Do you experience the same problem?
I hope this will be solved via the next firmware update?
post #120 of 464 Old 12-23-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I hate to say this but I have never noticed this. I send my Blu ray players to my projector straight thru since they have Dual HDMI outs. I also do not like having the OSD going because I hate seeing the volume show up on the screen when I have guests over and we are watching Dexter (for example). Kinda kills the realism.

I will check out what you are talking about though and post back later.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr3009
Gear in this thread - Nr3009 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page