post #181 of 464 Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

My 3009 is being used in my 15x23' room with a emo upa2 and marantz MA-500 mono amp for the front 3. The int amps for the other surrounds. and two big subs. I am loving this 3009 my third Onkyo. Had the 5007 and 5008 This is the first receiver I feel might be a long time in my rack no real complaints. Only wish there was a way to do 11.2 other than that it has mosy everhthing you could wish for. The video processing it the best ever for a receiver.

Second this entirely. william06, can you tell a difference between the 08 series and the 09? To my ears, the 3008 and 5008 sounded the same. However my 3009 is a different animal. To me, the 3009 has more finesse, and slightly less aggressive. It just seems smoother all around. It's fantastic.

Finally after about a year last night I got unlazy and ran my Plasma cabling through the wall and raised my center channel almost in line with my fronts. I have been enjoying the sound so much I was almost afraid to get a lesser XT32 calibration. After running the setup... no worries, outstanding as expected!!

Is anyone using Dipole speakers with their amp? Any thoughts on these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 464 Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post

Second this entirely. william06, can you tell a difference between the 08 series and the 09? To my ears, the 3008 and 5008 sounded the same. However my 3009 is a different animal. To me, the 3009 has more finesse, and slightly less aggressive. It just seems smoother all around. It's fantastic.

Finally after about a year last night I got unlazy and ran my Plasma cabling through the wall and raised my center channel almost in line with my fronts. I have been enjoying the sound so much I was almost afraid to get a lesser XT32 calibration. After running the setup... no worries, outstanding as expected!!

Is anyone using Dipole speakers with their amp? Any thoughts on these?

I agree with you totally on the difference in the 3008 and 3009 . I cannot raise my center as I have a large screen that comes down over my 50" plasma and my center is on the lower shelf of a stand. My screen is not perforated but I have it tilted up works fine for me. As far as dipole I have 4 deftechs running in my H and W and a pair of Polk bipole dipole running my left and right surround and they seem fine. My front 3 are B & W. backs Polk small centers a pair. Kind of a mix but st32 seems to make it all very smooth.

post #183 of 464 Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Was wondering if you guys recommend upgrading to the 3009 from the 807 now or should I wait for the new 2012 Onkyo AVRs to come out?? Anyone know the added features on the new Onkyos??
post #184 of 464 Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Was wondering if you guys recommend upgrading to the 3009 from the 807 now or should I wait for the new 2012 Onkyo AVRs to come out?? Anyone know the added features on the new Onkyos??

Anyone with input or info greatly appreciated
post #185 of 464 Old 01-16-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

Anyone with input or info greatly appreciated

I'd move now on a 3009.

Sound is amazing and video scaling is right there with it. Why wait until Fall to see what (if any) improvements are made.

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #186 of 464 Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

The 2012 Onkyo receivers will have the following new features:

1.) "Insta Preview": A way of switching inputs via a thumbnail approach rather than named inputs. This is only for HDMI sources.

2.) MHL-Mobile High definition Link: A way of streaming music and videos from micro USB to HDMI. This is a physical connection that will also charge your smart phone.

3.) MP3Tunes- A cloud based storage w/ 2GB for free.

The look of the units will be the same as the 2011 models.

Please find the link below:

m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYPvSbSg17XY&v=YPvSbSg17XY&gl=US
post #187 of 464 Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I'd move now on a 3009.

Sound is amazing and video scaling is right there with it. Why wait until Fall to see what (if any) improvements are made.

hello
After reading all the positive comments I have to ask you a couple of questions. Honestly I'm a bit of a novice to all of this, so any advise will be greatly appreciated. I unfortunately posted this queston with no luck.
I currently have monitor audio rx8's, with an hsu vtf15; do you think the 3009 would be a good match? I heard the 609 with some ml's at a friend's house, even though the sound was somewhat neutral to me IMO. I was very very impressed. I currently have a pioneer vsx32 which sounds great but no individual channel crossovers, and no sub eq is just not cutting it for me. My room is relatively small 12' by 16' and I'm 90% movies 10%games and music.

I hopefully plan on adding front heights in the future and bi-amping the rx8's. How do you think the 3009 would do? Any certain way you recommend me going about doing this?

I'm truly interested in the 3009 since i heard the 609 and what it did for the surrounds in movies which is what I'm truly looking for. Honestly i had my mind set on onkyo until i heard the marantz sr7005, so any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.
post #188 of 464 Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

If you were impressed by a 609 you will be blown away by a 3009.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #189 of 464 Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionorion View Post

1.) "Insta Preview": A way of switching inputs via a thumbnail approach rather than named inputs. This is only for HDMI sources.
2.) MHL-Mobile High definition Link: A way of streaming music and videos from micro USB to HDMI. This is a physical connection that will also charge your smart phone.
3.) MP3Tunes- A cloud based storage w/ 2GB for free.
The look of the units will be the same as the 2011 models.
Please find the link below:
m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYPvSbSg17XY&v=YPvSbSg17XY&gl=US

Anybody knows when Onkyo 2012 line-up may show up in shops?

irkuck
post #190 of 464 Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Anybody knows when Onkyo 2012 line-up may show up in shops?

Their higher end models (like the 3009 and 5009) will not hit until Fall most likely. Their intro models late Spring to early Summer.

post #191 of 464 Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Joe, William,
I've got an Oppo 93, the Onkyo 3009, and the Sony VW95es projector.
Each offer video processing, but I'm assuming that the projector is going to process the video to some extent anyway, so I should pass the signal without processing before that. Why wouldn't that work best? I'm thinking about skipping the video processing altogether by using the VCR/enter button presses.
If I do sharpening or NR in the Oppo or Onkyo, wouldn't that interact with any sharpening/NR done by the Sony. Or any of the other processing. Must one experiment with this or is there a general principle to follow?
I'm also wondering about turning off dynamic volume when playing videogames, on the chance that this may create a bit of lag. I was playing a baseball game, and it felt like I had to swing earlier than I thought I should, to hit the ball.
post #192 of 464 Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.West View Post

Joe, William,
I've got an Oppo 93, the Onkyo 3009, and the Sony VW95es projector.
Each offer video processing, but I'm assuming that the projector is going to process the video to some extent anyway, so I should pass the signal without processing before that. Why wouldn't that work best? I'm thinking about skipping the video processing altogether by using the VCR/enter button presses.
If I do sharpening or NR in the Oppo or Onkyo, wouldn't that interact with any sharpening/NR done by the Sony. Or any of the other processing. Must one experiment with this or is there a general principle to follow?
I'm also wondering about turning off dynamic volume when playing videogames, on the chance that this may create a bit of lag. I was playing a baseball game, and it felt like I had to swing earlier than I thought I should, to hit the ball.

Great questions! I have done a ton of A/B/C comparisons and my decisions are based on my own personal taste and set up. I let my Blu ray player (with Dual HDMI outs) go directly to my 95ES. The other HDMI 9for sound) goes into my 3009 (or whichever I have hooked up at the moment). The Blu ray player's HDMI going into HDMI 2 on the 95 is untouched and looks the absolute best no matter what. The way 1080p/24 is supposed to look.

As for HDMI 1 on the 95 I have everything else that goes into my 3009 head into it. I love the processing on the 3009 and by no way shape or form could do without it. Let it deinterlace 1080i into 1080p for you and send it to the 95 with DirecTV. Xbox and PS3 can head into the 3009 at 1080p/60 already. I love Gamma plus 1 on the 3009. I leave all noise reductions off. I also like edge enhancement Low. I then send it that way into my Edge VP (or Duo) which has Mosquito NR set to Low. I get an excellent image. Even if I wasn't using a VP the image looks terrific. Not sure how much longer I plan to use one since the 3009 has the best VP I have had to date in an AVR... Hope this helps.

post #193 of 464 Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Great questions! I have done a ton of A/B/C comparisons and my decisions are based on my own personal taste and set up. I let my Blu ray player (with Dual HDMI outs) go directly to my 95ES. The other HDMI 9for sound) goes into my 3009 (or whichever I have hooked up at the moment). The Blu ray player's HDMI going into HDMI 2 on the 95 is untouched and looks the absolute best no matter what. The way 1080p/24 is supposed to look.

As for HDMI 1 on the 95 I have everything else that goes into my 3009 head into it. I love the processing on the 3009 and by no way shape or form could do without it. Let it deinterlace 1080i into 1080p for you and send it to the 95 with DirecTV. Xbox and PS3 can head into the 3009 at 1080p/60 already. I love Gamma plus 1 on the 3009. I leave all noise reductions off. I also like edge enhancement Low. I then send it that way into my Edge VP (or Duo) which has Mosquito NR set to Low. I get an excellent image. Even if I wasn't using a VP the image looks terrific. Not sure how much longer I plan to use one since the 3009 has the best VP I have had to date in an AVR... Hope this helps.

Your one of the lucky ones if your Edge is still working.Mine failed after a year and a half of use.Now using a Denon 602 but not near the adjustments the Edge had.
post #194 of 464 Old 01-18-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-kid View Post

Your one of the lucky ones if your Edge is still working.Mine failed after a year and a half of use.Now using a Denon 602 but not near the adjustments the Edge had.

It's actually an Edge Green (newer one) that I got new for a song on eBay.

post #195 of 464 Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionorion View Post

I wonder how flexible this Insta Preview will be with respect to the picture size and position. Will it be only fixed postage stamp pics from HDMI inputs or there will be possibility to resize and position those pics freely? I can imagine the Preview being useful for the following and switching between several sources, e.g. splitting the screen into four equal parts for following four sources. If these kinds of on-screen configurations could be defined and stored for recalling then I am sold on the Insta Preview. But if Onkyo only offers fixed configuration of small size pics from other inputs then this is just a minor gimmick.

irkuck
post #196 of 464 Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I see in the specs for next year no 11.2 capability yet, Kind of hoped they were going to do something to go that route this year. Using the preouts. I guess not.

post #197 of 464 Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hi,

I had a question in regards to the Video Processor inside the 3009/5009.

I'm sure that the HQV Vida improves SD channels.

But can the HQV Vida also make any impact on and improve...

1. Bluray Discs... i mean isn't a Bluray disc already at the highest quality possible by default ?

Does a Bluray Disc also have Block & Mosquito Noise, Jaggies and Artifacts ? Is there potential to improve the picture quality of a Bluray Disc by using the de-interlacing, noise reduction, resolution enhancement and scaling features of the HQV Video processor in the 3009/5009 ? Or do Blurays Disc inherently have the most supreme and perfect picture quality ?

2. What about HD channels delivered via Cable/Satellite. I believe the HD feeds from the cable box are @ 1080i or 720p.

Do HD Channels from cable also have Block & Mosquito Noise, Jaggies and Artifacts ?

Do the video processors like HQV Vida, Marvel Qdeo provided in these modern High End AVRs like 3009/5009 improve the above in anyway ?

Regards,

Rana.

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->
post #198 of 464 Old 01-19-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

Hi,

1. Bluray Discs... i mean isn't a Bluray disc already at the highest quality possible by default ?

Does a Bluray Disc also have Block & Mosquito Noise, Jaggies and Artifacts ? Is there potential to improve the picture quality of a Bluray Disc by using the de-interlacing, noise reduction, resolution enhancement and scaling features of the HQV Video processor in the 3009/5009 ? Or do Blurays Disc inherently have the most supreme and perfect picture quality ?

2. What about HD channels delivered via Cable/Satellite. I believe the HD feeds from the cable box are @ 1080i or 720p.

Do HD Channels from cable also have Block & Mosquito Noise, Jaggies and Artifacts ?

Do the video processors like HQV Vida, Marvel Qdeo provided in these modern High End AVRs like 3009/5009 improve the above in anyway ?

Regards,

Rana.

Blu ray 1080p/24 passes thru perfectly. Unless you are like me and get one with Dual HDMI outs then it does not pass thru at all.

HD channels from DirecTV look awesome being deinterlaced into 1080p. Pristine.

As for the 4K upscaling let's just say that I will test that out real soon.

post #199 of 464 Old 01-19-2012, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
"Blu ray 1080p/24 passes thru perfectly. Unless you are like me and get one with Dual HDMI outs then it does not pass thru at all. "

You got me confused. What do you mean??
post #200 of 464 Old 01-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

/
HD channels from DirecTV look awesome being deinterlaced into 1080p. Pristine./

I couldn't agree more.

DirecTV is the only source I upscale with the 5009 and it does an amazing job taking 1080i to 1080p. Just a perfect picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

"Blu ray 1080p/24 passes thru perfectly. Unless you are like me and get one with Dual HDMI outs then it does not pass thru at all. "

You got me confused. What do you mean??

I believe Joe is saying he only passes audio from his Blu Ray player to the 3009 and video directly to his TV by using the dual HDMI outputs on his player.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #201 of 464 Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

I couldn't agree more.

DirecTV is the only source I upscale with the 5009 and it does an amazing job taking 1080i to 1080p. Just a perfect picture.

I believe Joe is saying he only passes audio from his Blu Ray player to the 3009 and video directly to his TV by using the dual HDMI outputs on his player.

If you own a high end avr like the 3009 or 5009 then there is not a reason why you couldn't get something like the panny 310 with dual HDMI outs. It is under 200! If not then the 3009 or 5009 can pass 1080p/24 from blu ray untouched.

post #202 of 464 Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

Hi,

Regards,

Rana.

Vida also improves HD according to this press release from HQV:

http://www.hqv.com/index.cfm?page=news.idt_hqv_vida
post #203 of 464 Old 01-20-2012, 02:11 AM

Quote:

If you own a high end avr like the 3009 or 5009 then there is not a reason why you couldn't get something like the panny 310 with dual HDMI outs. It is under 200! If not then the 3009 or 5009 can pass 1080p/24 from blu ray untouched.

I have the 3009 & just bought a Oppo BD93. So what would be the best way for me to install the Oppo?
post #204 of 464 Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have the 3009 & just bought a Oppo BD93. So what would be the best way for me to install the Oppo?

The Oppo 93 has Dual HDMIs so send one to the 3009 for audio and do the other straight to your display for the image. Best of both worlds without any detours.

post #205 of 464 Old 01-20-2012, 05:42 AM

Does it matter which HDMI on the Oppo goes to TV or AVR?
post #206 of 464 Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
From the press release for the Vida HQV: "...and can even further enhance detail in HD content..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

Vida also improves HD accoring to this press release from HQV:

http://www.hqv.com/index.cfm?page=news.idt_hqv_vida

post #207 of 464 Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Does it matter which HDMI on the Oppo goes to TV or AVR?

In their manual it says which is for what. I am on the road so can't double check at the moment but will later this afternoon if no one else has.

post #208 of 464 Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM

I apologize for sounding lazy & stupid. The info I want is on page 52 of the manual.

Thanks for replying.
post #209 of 464 Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I apologize for sounding lazy & stupid. The info I want is on page 52 of the manual.

Thanks for replying.

Not lazy and stupid. No worries.

post #210 of 464 Old 01-21-2012, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For those, with a deeper interest for what's inside their 3009 a link to the Service Manual here
You will be surprised, that this covers the 5009, the 5509 and some Integras too as those units have a lot, really a lot , in common.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr3009
Gear in this thread - Nr3009 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page