Help decide between Onkyo TX-NR809 & Yamaha RX-A2010 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ave,

I'm kinda stuck in an indecision between the Onkyo TX-NR809 & the Yamaha RX-A2010. I like both of them but I'm not quite sure how they differ in Quality & Performance. There is not a whole lot of difference in terms of ports, inputs & outputs ... But I've never owned either so I really do not know.

There are 2 factors which are critical ...

Onkyo is a LOT cheaper then the Yamaha, but it is missing 1 single port that I would really, really like ... an Optical Output. I have a Sony 5.1 Wireless Headphone that I use often while playing XBOX or watching Blu-ray's at night. I love the headset & it's surround sound. It takes an Optical input. The Onkyo TX-NR809 doesn't have that Optical Out ... the Yamaha RX-A2010 does have that optical out. It's not worth the cost difference, so if there's a workaround to that - I'm willing to look at that too.

Yamaha is definitely more expensive .. but it does have a slightly higher amp output & does come with the Optical out. And seems to be a newer model as well.

I don't really wish to pay the additional $'s just for the Optical Out on the Yamaha ... so it does need to be "Better" then the Onkyo.

I would appreciate any suggestions / advice I can get on this indecision.

Here's a little breakup of what I need this reciever for:

Devices ...
Samsung 63" 3D Plasma
Samsung 3D Blu-ray Player
Blu-ray 3D capable "Sandy Bridge" HTPC
XBOX 360 (2) <-- Don't Ask!!
HD Cable (Comcast)

Trying to build a 7.2 home theater surround sound setup for Blu-ray (3D capability is must!!). I have some good advice on speakers in another thread and will pursue that thread for the Speaker setup.

Thanks!!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mjpearce023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The biggest difference in sound quality will be between YPAO and Audyssey. There is no way to know which one you will prefer as some people prefer Audyssey and some prefer YPAO. If you can buy each one somewhere that has a good return policy and try them out that would be the best thing to do. Yamaha has a better track record recently for quality but the 09 series of Onkyo doesn't get as hot as previous models so it may do better than the 06, 07 and 08 series did. From what I've seen on AVS, Yamaha receivers are built to last. I have a Denon right now but I'm looking for a good deal on last years A2000 because I would really like to try out YPAO and see what it does with my speakers. Another thing I like to do when considering a receiver is to read through some of the owners thread and see what kinds of problems people are having. That will give you an idea if you should go ahead and get something now or if you need to wait for a firmware update to come out to fix any issues.
mjpearce023 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

The biggest difference in sound quality will be between YPAO and Audyssey. There is no way to know which one you will prefer as some people prefer Audyssey and some prefer YPAO. If you can buy each one somewhere that has a good return policy and try them out that would be the best thing to do. Yamaha has a better track record recently for quality but the 09 series of Onkyo doesn't get as hot as previous models so it may do better than the 06, 07 and 08 series did. From what I've seen on AVS, Yamaha receivers are built to last. I have a Denon right now but I'm looking for a good deal on last years A2000 because I would really like to try out YPAO and see what it does with my speakers. Another thing I like to do when considering a receiver is to read through some of the owners thread and see what kinds of problems people are having. That will give you an idea if you should go ahead and get something now or if you need to wait for a firmware update to come out to fix any issues.

Thanks for your response!

One thing that's consistently coming up is reliability & build strength associated with Yamaha; as opposed to issues in the same areas with Onkyo.

As you pointed out - most people are divided as far as sound goes. Onkyo lovers stick by it & Yamaha lovers stick by Yamaha. Which basically leads me to believe both are as good. I think thus far I've read about reliability issues more with Onkyo's then Yamaha.

I'll still continue to do a little more read up & research - but right now I'm leaving towards Yamaha.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is online now  
post #4 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,060
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Of those two my choice would be the A2010. Or even the A2000. If you are buying for reliability and longevity its the Yamaha IMO. The A2000 will be less than the A2010 and is a bargain right now.
phantom52 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Of those two my choice would be the A2010. Or even the A2000. If you are buying for reliability and longevity its the Yamaha IMO. The A2000 will be less than the A2010 and is a bargain right now.

I'm actually looking at the A2000 because it's going for under $1K right now; what's the actual difference? I know A2012 is 9.2 and A2000 is 7.2 ... but that's fine, I don't need a 9.2 reciever. Is there any other difference? I compared them on Crutchfield and the only 2 things that were different was the 9.2 & 7.2 and the power output, 140W and 130W. Everything else was exactly the same.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is online now  
post #6 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I would go with the Yamaha.

Maybe Onkyo has fixed their reliability issues with newer models. Maybe not. It's too soon to tell. Why take a chance when you don't have to? Why not get a receiver from a manufacturer that never had major reliability issues to begin with?
KidHorn is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ross Ridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Other than the extra two channels there's not a lot of difference between the RX-A2000 and the RX-A2010. There RX-A2010 supports direct USB connection to an iPhone and it allows you to disable the volume control overlay.

Note that the optical output will only work if you connect your Xbox 360 and Blu-Ray player by optical or coaxial SPDIF cables. It won't convert HDMI or analogue audio.
Ross Ridge is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,060
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

I'm actually looking at the A2000 because it's going for under $1K right now; what's the actual difference? I know A2012 is 9.2 and A2000 is 7.2 ... but that's fine, I don't need a 9.2 reciever. Is there any other difference? I compared them on Crutchfield and the only 2 things that were different was the 9.2 & 7.2 and the power output, 140W and 130W. Everything else was exactly the same.

That would be the only difference. 9.2 vs. 7.2. If you don't need 9.2 as you stated then the 2010 would be a waste of money. Buy some extra BD's with the savings. You would not notice the power difference between the two. Also realize that there places that the A2000 is going for much less than under $1K. Check with a local BB or even Newegg on the weekends. You may be able to save a lot of money. Heck the A3000 is going for less than $1K also. Good luck and enjoy. Read postings on the A1000/2000/3000 thread to see exactly what the A2000 is capable of doing. Also since the Onkyo 809 interest you check out that thread also. My first choice would be the A2000 easily between those. Crutchfield is a great place to buy from but by far not the least expensive. Other online vendors will usually beat their prices by a fair amount. You have to call for their best prices though.
phantom52 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,060
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

Other than the extra two channels there's not a lot of difference between the RX-A2000 and the RX-A2010. There RX-A2010 supports direct USB connection to an iPhone and it allows you to disable the volume control overlay.

Note that the optical output will only work if you connect your Xbox 360 and Blu-Ray player by optical or coaxial SPDIF cables. It won't convert HDMI or analogue audio.

Glad you pointed out the Volume Control Overlay. That has seemed to be a deciding factor for some on the purchase of the AX000 series Yamaha's. Doesn't bother me but does seem to bother others and in some cases a lot. Thank you.
phantom52 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow - the vote for Yamaha is unanimous!! Outstanding - that's what I needed to steer me in the right direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I would go with the Yamaha.

Maybe Onkyo has fixed their reliability issues with newer models. Maybe not. It's too soon to tell. Why take a chance when you don't have to? Why not get a receiver from a manufacturer that never had major reliability issues to begin with?

You're 100% correct. I did get myself thinking why is Onkyo so much cheaper then Yamaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

Other than the extra two channels there's not a lot of difference between the RX-A2000 and the RX-A2010. There RX-A2010 supports direct USB connection to an iPhone and it allows you to disable the volume control overlay.

Note that the optical output will only work if you connect your Xbox 360 and Blu-Ray player by optical or coaxial SPDIF cables. It won't convert HDMI or analogue audio.

I don't care for the direct USB connection either!
Good point about the Optical connection - I did not know that!! But that's not a problem - I can easily run a Toslink from the 2 or 3 main devices I have to the Yamaha. I think it has 2 or 3 TOSLink inputs!! Will work! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

That would be the only difference. 9.2 vs. 7.2. If you don't need 9.2 as you stated then the 2010 would be a waste of money. Buy some extra BD's with the savings. You would not notice the power difference between the two. Also realize that there places that the A2000 is going for much less than under $1K. Check with a local BB or even Newegg on the weekends. You may be able to save a lot of money. Heck the A3000 is going for less than $1K also. Good luck and enjoy. Read postings on the A1000/2000/3000 thread to see exactly what the A2000 is capable of doing. Also since the Onkyo 809 interest you check out that thread also. My first choice would be the A2000 easily between those. Crutchfield is a great place to buy from but by far not the least expensive. Other online vendors will usually beat their prices by a fair amount. You have to call for their best prices though.

A3000 under $1K ???? Can you PM about that? I know we can't discuss prices in a thread.

I absolutely do not need 9.2 and the other differences are negligible to me, so I'm definitely looking at A2000 as my foremost contender right now. I have seen a couple of threads on Slickdeals so I'll check out Best Buy & a couple other places. I've bought from Crutchfield before & love them - but like you said - they are definitely not the cheapest.

I would love to score the A3000 for under $1K ... but so far you're the first person who's mentioned that; I haven't seen that price anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Glad you pointed out the Volume Control Overlay. That has seemed to be a deciding factor for some on the purchase of the AX000 series Yamaha's. Doesn't bother me but does seem to bother others and in some cases a lot. Thank you.

What is Volume Control Overlay?

Thanks Guys!!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is online now  
post #11 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,060
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
The volume overlay is a screen that appears on your display every time you adjust the volume. You can see a screen shot of it on the A1000/2000/3000 thread. It bothers some and others (like myself) its no big deal. The A2010 allows this to be turned off. The models from Yamaha from last year i.e. A2000/3000 and the RXV series do NOT allow this to be turned off at this time. There may or may not be a firmware update(if possible) for that feature. If you feel its going to be a bother then by all means go for the 10 series. If not you can save a lot of money by going for the A2000/3000. The deals for the A2000/3000 seem to be at local Best Buys and some times on weekends at Newegg. Check out the prices there. And yes there have been buyers that got the A3000 for less than $1k. So they say. I do know that you can get the A3000 for less than the A2010 at different online vendors. You may even check the AVS Store to see if they sell Yamaha's and give them a call.
phantom52 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

The volume overlay is a screen that appears on your display every time you adjust the volume. You can see a screen shot of it on the A1000/2000/3000 thread. It bothers some and others (like myself) its no big deal. The A2010 allows this to be turned off. The models from Yamaha from last year i.e. A2000/3000 and the RXV series do NOT allow this to be turned off at this time. There may or may not be a firmware update(if possible) for that feature. If you feel its going to be a bother then by all means go for the 10 series. If not you can save a lot of money by going for the A2000/3000. The deals for the A2000/3000 seem to be at local Best Buys and some times on weekends at Newegg. Check out the prices there. And yes there have been buyers that got the A3000 for less than $1k. So they say. I do know that you can get the A3000 for less than the A2010 at different online vendors. You may even check the AVS Store to see if they sell Yamaha's and give them a call.

I would never pay extra to get rid of that Volume Overlay thing - wow - didn't even know that was an issue. Thanks for the clarification though.

I'll hit all the different places that I can & see if I can score good on the A2000 or A3000.

Thanks!!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is online now  
post #13 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mjpearce023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Glad you pointed out the Volume Control Overlay. That has seemed to be a deciding factor for some on the purchase of the AX000 series Yamaha's. Doesn't bother me but does seem to bother others and in some cases a lot. Thank you.

I saw a bunch of talk about that on the x000 owners thread. I don't get why it was such a big deal. I love volume overlay on my Denon. I don't see any reason to want it turned off.
mjpearce023 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 09-28-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys - Just stopped by my local Best Buy and picked up a brand new Yamaha RX-A2000 !!!!! Got an awesome sweet deal ... it was marked under "Clearance" even though it was a brand new sealed unit. Haven't even opened up the packaging yet - wanted to post here first & let you guys know.

@mjpearce023 .. Agree with you! I can't believe that Volume Overlay is actually an "issue" ... I would never want to get rid of it. Maybe I'm old school - but I like to see my volume bar or count as I increase or decrease. I had a Samsung HTiB that didn't do that and I could never tell what I was doing!!

Anyhow - too excited right now - can't wait to get everything out of the box & set it all up. Speakers is my next conquest but I have to watch for deals & go slow ... have to setup a concrete budget as well.

Thanks!!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is online now  
post #15 of 17 Old 10-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Member
 
Gusnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I bought an Onkyo, system in a box less than a year ago for around $600. I am not super into sound systems, I just wanted to have a decent system. The receiver started to fail 6 months after the purchase. Problems getting "no signal" from my sources -2 Apple TVs, Direct TV, Roku, PS3- (plugging the HDMIs directly to the TV, no problem). Then, the subwoofer started to fail. I contacted Onkyo about warranty but they didn't want to accept the copy of the receipt. They want the original one (which I don't have, I use NeatWorks to archive all of my receipts in a digital form). Another thing, the receiver was an oven. So incredibly hot (it is not in a closed cabinet). Anyway, I got tired of my bad, bad Onkyo experience and I got a Yamaha RX-A2010 a few days ago. I still have to learn a lot about the settings, but I am loving it. Everything feels much more sturdy, better quality, better built. I feel confident the Yamaha will be a better experience than the Onkyo.
Gusnyc is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 11-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Member
 
sprintvicky110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pls tell me which is the best among these. Which have less issues like software n hard ware. And I want to know howmany years of warranty is provided by these three brands.

Which gives superior sound quality.....
sprintvicky110 is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Newbie
 
acroatis.gr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ahhh, how sweet... the yami fan boys are trying to seem "reasonable" but are as subtle as a hand grenade in a barrel of barley...
acroatis.gr is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Yamaha Rx A2010 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off