Marantz NR1602 Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Specs for Marantz NR1602.

How does this have 7 discrete channels of 50W amplification if it only has a 5ch Amp? Does Power consumption 250W indicate anything about the true watts of amplification? Do the other specs look good compared to most mid level receivers?

Number of Channels 5ch Amp. 7.1ch Processing
Power Output (8 Ohm): 50W (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.08% THD, 2ch driven) x7
S/N Ratio: 98dB (IHF-A weighted, Source Direct Mode)
Remote Control: Learning, Precode, Glow Key
Power Requirement: AC120V 60Hz
Power Consumption: 250W (Standby: 0.2W)

More at
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=NR1602
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
Likely just a typo as it's a 7 CH AVR and no, the power consumption is not directly related to power output as it's only rated 50W/Ch into 2 channels, although if you need more power there are preouts for the FL/FR speakers if needed. Specs are average for AVR in that price range.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 12 Old 10-30-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Likely just a typo as it's a 7 CH AVR and no, the power consumption is not directly related to power output as it's only rated 50W/Ch into 2 channels, although if you need more power there are preouts for the FL/FR speakers if needed. Specs are average for AVR in that price range.

I've written Marantz to confirm but I think it is a typo. The 1602 is reported to have the same chassis as the 1601 albeit with some added features. The 1601 is described as 7ch Amp. 7.1ch Processing.

I'll report back when/if Marantz responds.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #4 of 12 Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

I've written Marantz to confirm but I think it is a typo. The 1602 is reported to have the same chassis as the 1601 albeit with some added features. The 1601 is described as 7ch Amp. 7.1ch Processing.

I'll report back when/if Marantz responds.

Dana

Marantz hasn't responded yet but I came across info that an authorized Marantz dealer Aperion Audio posted here. They corrected the typo.

Quote:
Number of Channels: 7ch Amp. 7.1ch Processing

Dana

post #5 of 12 Old 10-31-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Marantz has now responded. It is a typo.

Quote:

Hello Dana,

Yes, that is a typo on the website which we're in the process of getting corrected. The 1602 is a 7 channel amp and 7.1 pre-amp.

Thank you,

Technical Support / Custom Install
D&M Holdings NA

Dana

post #6 of 12 Old 01-29-2012, 11:14 AM

Can anyone confirm/deny whether the Marantz NR1602 can play Apple Lossless files (also called ALAC) from the front panel ipod input?? The latest Pioneers can do it... but I don't want a big fat Pioneer, I want the 1602. But all my files on my iPod Classic are in ALAC...

Thanks in advance for responding -
CHFels
post #7 of 12 Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHFels View Post

Can anyone confirm/deny whether the Marantz NR1602 can play Apple Lossless files (also called ALAC) from the front panel ipod input?? The latest Pioneers can do it... but I don't want a big fat Pioneer, I want the 1602. But all my files on my iPod Classic are in ALAC...

Thanks in advance for responding -
CHFels

The Owner's Manual says on page 25:

Quote:

You can enjoy music stored on an iPod.

Terminology is important here. Does the 1602 "play" ALAC files? No. Just as it doesn't "play" Blu-ray discs. The iPod plays them and the 1602 processes the signal it receives.

You can download the Owner's Manual here and read about it for yourself. (The file is NR1602N_ENG_CD-ROM_v00)

Dana

post #8 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

The Owner's Manual says on page 25:

Terminology is important here. Does the 1602 "play" ALAC files? No. Just as it doesn't "play" Blu-ray discs. The iPod plays them and the 1602 processes the signal it receives.

You can download the Owner's Manual here and read about it for yourself. (The file is NR1602N_ENG_CD-ROM_v00)

Dana

[Edit: misunderstood Dana's reply at first, as my browser didn't show the quotes inside his reply!]

Thanks for responding. While the manual seems to say that all music on an iPod can be played back, I was not sure. Reason: avhub.com.au states in their review that ALAC files *don't* work. But that review doesn't settle it for me, since there have been firmware updates since then, and of course reviews sometimes contain errors.

Can anyone say Yes or No based on *personal experience*, on an NR1602 with the latest firmware?
cheers,
CHFels
post #9 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
From the 1602 marketing brochure ..
"The Ethernet port lets you stream audio from online music services, such as Pandora, Rhapsody, and Napster, as well as from your home network. "

Can anyone tell me how to stream music from pandora to the receiver?

I went into the setup options and noticed only Rhapsody and Napster to configure. There is no listing for Pandora.
The interface is really clunky, my remote wont work properly and I am having to setup using the buttons on the receiver itself

Another painpoint is, it says "presss internet radio" button to confirm.. where is this button?
post #10 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

From the 1602 marketing brochure ..
"The Ethernet port lets you stream audio from online music services, such as Pandora, Rhapsody, and Napster, as well as from your home network. "

Can anyone tell me how to stream music from pandora to the receiver?

I went into the setup options and noticed only Rhapsody and Napster to configure. There is no listing for Pandora.
The interface is really clunky, my remote wont work properly and I am having to setup using the buttons on the receiver itself

Another painpoint is, it says "presss internet radio" button to confirm.. where is this button?

Pandora should be in the menu when you press NET/USB. The internet radio button is the button that has globe and old-fashioned radio icons on it toward the top left of the remote. Be sure to do the firmware upgrade. I believe there have been two updates.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #11 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

Thanks for responding. While the manual seems to say that all music on an iPod can be played back, I was not sure. Reason: avhub.com.au states in their review that ALAC files *don't* work. But that review doesn't settle it for me, since there have been firmware updates since then, and of course reviews sometimes contain errors.

Can anyone say Yes or No based on *personal experience*, on an NR1602 with the latest firmware?
cheers,
CHFels

ALAC files do not work. In the manual I believe that it specifies only AAC/M4A/MP4 files can be played at 32/44.1/48 kHz and from 16-320 kbps. You can use FLAC up to 24 bit/96 kHz. That's what I do if I use AirPlay. Unfortunately that's probably not what you want to hear since I assume your library is mainly ALAC.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #12 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 PM

Regrading Pandora on both my Marantz SR7005 and NR1602: all I did was connect the Ethernet connector, go to Net/USB (remote button) and Pandora was in the list of internet options. I had a previous Pandora account on my computer and I don't recall having to do anything onthe receivers to receive Pandora on that same account.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1602 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page