Sherwood R-904N Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 133 Old 10-07-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 364
I was originally going to do a lengthy and detailed review of the Sherwood R-904N, similar to what I've done for other equipment I own, but this AVR turned out to be such a pile of garbage that it wasn't really worth my investment of time. Because of that I'm simply going to list the Pro's (what few there are) and the Con's, and leave it at that...

Pro's
  • The manual isn't half bad; it's fairly logical and easy to read, and it appears as though the Chinese-to-English translation was done by someone/something that actually knew what he/she/it was doing.
  • You can access internet radio stations, which is a really nice feature.
  • You can use a USB dongle and get wireless connectivity to your home network; you don't need to run a cable (but you can hook it up that way as well).
  • It's a mere 3" high, so if space is an issue -- which it is for me -- then this unit will fit virtually anywhere.
  • Changing the channel levels is fast and easy, because you can do it through a dedicated button on the remote.

Con's
  • Dolby volume flat out doesn't work. Period. No matter how you configure it, or what settings you use, the commercials still blare.
  • There's no three digit code for a Motorola cable box, so the Sherwood remote can't control things like the TV channels. Comcast, which is one of the largest cable providers in the entire country, uses a Motorola STB, so you would assume Sherwood had that covered. You would have assumed wrong.
  • It gets very hot. One of the primary reasons I bought this unit was because it supposedly had a class D amp. I've never seen a class D amp get anywhere near this hot.
  • The DSP's (Hall, Concert, Movie, etc) all sound positively ghastly. Almost every one of them has some type of echo as well. That "feature" is completely useless.
  • It seems to be sensitive to other electrical devices, especially those with motors, like fans. If you change the speed of a fan anywhere near this thing, or just turn it on/off, the sound from the speakers will sometimes disappear for a second or two. This happens even if the fan is not plugged into an outlet on the same circuit.
  • The front control panel uses the most hideous blue lights on the planet. Every single one of the few reviews that can be found on this AVR all contain the same complaint, yet Sherwood is too oblivious to fix the problem (even though this unit has been out for at least 2 years). There's a "dimmer" function which lowers the intensity on about half of them, but it gets reset back to full intensity every time the AVR is turned off. That means each time you use it you have to run the dimmer function again, otherwise the piercing blue lights blind you.
  • The crossover can only be set for 40/80/100/150/200Hz. Variable is obviously the way to go, except if you're Sherwood. At least adding 120Hz would have helped, which a lot of smaller satellites appear to work best with.
  • The AVR must be on for the inputs to work. If you want to watch a DVD late at night, and you simply wish to use the TV's speakers so as not to disturb anyone, you're out of luck.
  • There's no phantom center, even though the manual says there is. Try as I might I was never able to get that to function, no matter how I had the speakers configured or connected. This was only an issue for me at the beginning, when I was using just 2.1 setup. Regardless, if it's something Sherwood claims as a feature -- and it's listed in the manual -- then the AVR should actually have it.
  • No separate EQ, only bass and treble. Don't like how your system sounds? Tough luck.
  • The amp has an insane THD of 0.5%! That's beyond appalling, unless this is the 1960's of course.
  • There's a "pass through" feature for the Sherwood remote, whereby all the controls for volume will "pass" back to the AVR, even if you have it controlling another device. Trouble is, the Mute button doesn't get past through. What kind of genius would forget to add Mute? Guess Sherwood doesn't think something that mutes the sound is actually part of the functions controlling volume.
  • There's no Audyssey. Sherwood has it's own "auto room EQ", but it really doesn't function very well. I have yet to find an instance where it set the distance or channel levels properly, especially for the subwoofer.
  • There's no separate settings for LFE, with the exception of a +10db boost for "legacy" connections. Since you can't tailor the LFE to your liking/room, it makes the sound terribly unbalance with some DVD's.
  • You can't change the labels for the HDMI ports, so you're not able to name them what they really are. You're stuck with things like AUX, VIDEO 1, F AUX, etc. Not at all helpful or intuitive.
  • You can't listen to an internet radio station without the television being turned on. Why is that? How much video content do you see on the radio? This is yet another one of those things you find yourself saying "didn't anyone at Sherwood actually test this thing before they released it?".
  • The level from the sub-out connector is very weak. I've tried it with 5 different subwoofers now, and in each instance the volume has to be set really high before the sub comes out of standby. Adjusting the channel level seems to make no difference. Once activated the sub often goes back into standby shortly thereafter, unless you keep the volume fairly high.

Sherwood has a program called VuNow that controls a number of the more advanced features, like playing MP3's or accessing audio and video directly from the internet. Even this cool option they screwed up somehow. For example:
  • VuNow itself takes a looooong time to load. I think the quickest it's every loaded was about 90 seconds, but it's usually closer to 2 minutes. That's preposterous for something going from ROM to RAM.
  • The first second or two of every MP3 is clipped, so you always start to hear a song after it's already in progress.
  • The total run time displayed for MP3's is completely random, and not close to accurate. This is simple addition we're talking about here, yet even something that easy they can't get right.
  • Want to change the channel level or dim those offensive blue lights while VuNow is running? Forget it. Those keys are disabled, so you better set all that up beforehand. AAMOF, about half the remote control stops functioning while VuNow is running, which is a double bonus considering how long it takes VuNow to load. If, for some reason, you need to change anything you have to exit VuNow, make your change, then go back in. You're talking a 3-5 minute ordeal, each and every time.
All of this loveliness can be yours for the measly sum of only $650 too! Actually, that's the list price; you can buy it for mid $300 range most places, but even that's at least twice what the thing is worth.

But by far -- and I do mean by far -- the absolute worst part of owning this AVR (and perhaps any Sherwood product, for that matter) is they have no support whatsoever. Nada. Zip. Zilch. No matter what avenue I tried, I simply was not able to get anyone. Email, voice, chat. Nothing. I even tried contacting their sales department to see if they had any way of getting a hold of their own support team, but no one was home their either.

After about 2 months of trying I finally go someone from sales to give me an email address for a person in the support hierarchy. He turned out to be the VP of Customer Service, so I assumed there was finally a light at the end of the tunnel. Turned out to be an oncoming train instead, because he was as inept as the rest of them. It started to become a matter of personal pride to make these chumps provide support, so I pressed on.

I was finally able to get a hold of someone who alleged to be a technical guru, able to resolve all the problems I was having. He turned out to be as apathetic and incompetent as the rest of them. So how was this person rewarded for his inferiority? They made him the president of Sherwood NA!! And no, that's not BS, it's a 100% true story. The most arrogant and unprofessional person I encountered during the entire miserable journey was named chief of the chumps. Some stuff you simply can't make up...

This is actually the abridged version of the support nightmare. I didn't go into any detail whatsoever about the sheer number of ignored emails, VM's that were never returned, promises of things that would occur which never did, etc. We've all run into horrendous support problems, that never ending "treadmill from hell" experience, but this one is perhaps the worst I've ever encountered. It was over 6 months worth of crap before I finally threw in the towel and conceded defeat. I honestly don't know if I've ever done that in the past; my tenacity usually wins out, but this time I ran into so many unqualified, inane people I was simply outnumbered.

So, the bottom line is run -- don't walk -- from the R-904. Since Sherwood is probably using the same boneheads in their service department for everything you're rolling the dice buying from this company, so be very cautious before you plunk down your hard earned cash. It's a huge shame too, because Sherwood used to be a decent company making well respected products. Apparently they've decide to switch directions.

Ok, so maybe this review turned out to be a bit more lengthy then I thought it would. Guess my anger fueled this novel after all.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Jim,

I enjoyed your review. I agree with portions of your review. Those portions that I agree with, but have nothing to add, I just left off. Please do not look at this like I am slamming your review. I own this product so it feels good knowing that I am not alone.

Con's
  • Dolby volume flat out doesn't work. Period. No matter how you configure it, or what settings you use, the commercials still blare.
    Yeah, I have not figured out how to get Commercials under control. Maybe Dolby Labs overhyped this technology?
  • There's no three digit code for a Motorola cable box...
    Did you really buy it for the remote?
  • It gets very hot. One of the primary reasons I bought this unit was because it supposedly had a class D amp. I've never seen a class D amp get anywhere near this hot.
    My guess is that the DaVinci CPU and etc. throw off some heat.
  • The DSP's (Hall, Concert, Movie, etc) all sound positively ghastly. Almost every one of them has some type of echo as well. That "feature" is completely useless.
    I never use this on any AVR. They should name them Bathroom, Shower, Block Wall Basement.
  • It seems to be sensitive to other electrical devices
    I don't experience that.
  • The crossover can only be set for 40/80/100/150/200Hz. Variable is obviously the way to go, except if you're Sherwood. At least adding 120Hz would have helped, which a lot of smaller satellites appear to work best with.
    I bet firmware would fix this.
  • No separate EQ, only bass and treble. Don't like how your system sounds? Tough luck.
    Do you really need this? I will say that the tone controls do not boost or attenuate enough for my taste.
  • The amp has an insane THD of 0.5%! That's beyond appalling, unless this is the 1960's of course.
    That scared me, but I think it might be a typo looking at the chip specs.
  • There's a "pass through" feature for the Sherwood remote, whereby all the controls for volume will "pass" back to the AVR, even if you have it controlling another device. Trouble is, the Mute button doesn't get past through. What kind of genius would forget to add Mute? Guess Sherwood doesn't think something that mutes the sound is actually part of the functions controlling volume.
    Did you really buy this for the remote?
  • There's no Audyssey. Sherwood has it's own "auto room EQ", but it really doesn't function very well. I have yet to find an instance where it set the distance or channel levels properly, especially for the subwoofer.
    I ended up manually boosting the SW channel after running room EQ.

Sherwood has a program called VuNow that controls a number of the more advanced features, like playing MP3's or accessing audio and video directly from the internet. Even this cool option they screwed up somehow.
They should have went with another platform instead of using Verismo's VuNow. I do not care for VuNow, but I have it so I live with it. Maybe they can ditch VuNow for something better? I would be happy if they ditched the INTERNET for a true DLNA experience. I have emailed Verismo to ask when they are going to improve their product and they tell me to call Sherwood. Pretty sad that Verismo has no plan for their platform.

On the plus side, it is powerd by a TI daVinci chip. Maybe Sherwood could somehow get the open source community involved?

But by far -- and I do mean by far -- the absolute worst part of owning this AVR (and perhaps any Sherwood product, for that matter) is they have no support whatsoever. Nada. Zip. Zilch. No matter what avenue I tried, I simply was not able to get anyone. Email, voice, chat. Nothing. I even tried contacting their sales department to see if they had any way of getting a hold of their own support team, but no one was home their either.
I have to say that Sherwood has excellent support. Maybe Jeff from Sherwood will see your review. I like to believe that good things can come out of critiquing a product like you did.
post #3 of 133 Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkeey View Post

I enjoyed your review. I agree with portions of your review. Those portions that I agree with, but have nothing to add, I just left off. Please do not look at this like I am slamming your review. I own this product so it feels good knowing that I am not alone.

No worries. I didn't see anything in your reply that looked confrontational.

Quote:

Con's
  • There's no three digit code for a Motorola cable box...
    Did you really buy it for the remote?
    Not at all. But it should still function, which is why I noted it. Based upon my research Motorola is one of, if not the, number 1 supplier of STB's for the cable industry. Comcast is probably the largest cable provider in the nation. To me it's simply unconscionable that this setup wouldn't be supported. It goes a bit deeper though... if you notice in the review there are several things that make you say "what were they thinking?". This is an example of that. How you could possible neglect perhaps the most important combination there is? Who OK's this stuff?

I never use this on any AVR. They should name them Bathroom, Shower, Block Wall Basement.
    Either that or Echo Chamber 1, Echo Chamber 2, Echo Chamber 3...

I bet firmware would fix this.
    I agree that it could -- and definitely should -- but I'm afraid that upgrade doesn't exist. Or at least that's what I'm being told.

Do you really need this? I will say that the tone controls do not boost or attenuate enough for my taste.
    I certainly do. An EQ goes a long way when trying to tame room modes. I've found it to be indispensable.

Did you really buy this for the remote?
    Not at all. But it should still function, which is why I noted it. This is yet again one of those asinine head scratchers; who on earth doesn't equate the Mute button with the controlling of volume? No one I know, that's for sure.

I ended up manually boosting the SW channel after running room EQ.
    How did it work for you on the rest of the channels? For me they were at least close, but the SW was always way off. I'd disable the crossover, set the gain for 50% and run the room setup. The subwoofer would most often end up being configured for less then half the distance it should, and -15dB to boot. Never once did it get that even close.

I have to say that Sherwood has excellent support. Maybe Jeff from Sherwood will see your review. I like to believe that good things can come out of critiquing a product like you did.
Anything is possible, but based upon the horrifying level of apathy I encountered -- all the way from the top down -- I don't expect anything good will become of it. If I do nothing more than help prevent someone else from making the same mistake I did that would be a win though.

post #4 of 133 Old 10-11-2011, 08:30 AM

Is this your everyday player? For me it is. I paid almost full retail price for this receiver and I reget it just for the fact that I had to ship it via UPS back to sherwood 2 times to have the VuNow board replaced. So I actually paid more for thing considering it cost me over $20 each time I shipped it back to Sherwood for repairs. That is like throwing $40 down the toilet.

Yeah I was getting -12db on my SW so I would manually boost that channel. The other channels were fine.. I bet firmware would fix this too if they created new firmware.

Have you followed the other Lengthy R904 Thread on here?
post #5 of 133 Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this your everyday player? For me it is. I paid almost full retail price for this receiver and I reget it just for the fact that I had to ship it via UPS back to sherwood 2 times to have the VuNow board replaced. So I actually paid more for thing considering it cost me over $20 each time I shipped it back to Sherwood for repairs. That is like throwing $40 down the toilet.

I did see your thread regarding the VuNow issues. Was that under warranty? Quite honesty, having to send it back twice, and paying for it both times -- especially if it was still under warranty -- doesn't really sound like the "excellent support" you mentioned. I'm not making light of your situation, just wondering how that could be deemed excellent. To me it sounds a bit deficient. I think Sherwood owes you one.

Quote:

Have you followed the other Lengthy R904 Thread on here?

I poked around some, but not really seriously. Perhaps I should though. After all, misery loves company...

post #6 of 133 Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the review. I was thinking about this unit to replace my Panasonic XR-25. Not going to happen now!
post #7 of 133 Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 AM

JimWilson,

Well I got my R-904N back and reran the room EQ.. It set the Subwoofer at -15.

Something is not right.
post #8 of 133 Old 10-12-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post

Thanks for the review. I was thinking about this unit to replace my Panasonic XR-25. Not going to happen now!

That may turn out to be a very wise decision on your part. What else were you looking at?

post #9 of 133 Old 10-12-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I got my R-904N back and reran the room EQ.. It set the Subwoofer at -15.

Something is not right.

Yea, it's not Audyssey. And Sherwood appears disinclined to fix bugs like this with firmware updates.

Audyssey seems to be the best at what it does. I know other manufacturers -- like Yamaha, for example -- have their own variant, and from I'm able to ascertain they work very well. But Sherwoods version just doesn't seem to function all that well, especially for the sub.

I pretty much gave up on it, and now I simply tune by ear. Guess that makes it JimEQ...

post #10 of 133 Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Jeff Hipps from Sherwood participated in the other R-904N thread on here.

You would think that he could use the feedback from customers to tweak it.

Wouldn't you think that Sherwood would want to take advantage of free testers?

I believe that Jeff is no longer with Sherwood though.
post #11 of 133 Old 10-12-2011, 05:05 PM

Well I just tried to use VuNow. It worked yesterday.. Today it freezes on the Sherwood Screen.

I called Sherwood and they are going to send me a replacement along with a shipping label so I don't have to pay shipping again.

They really are trying to help me out so I do believe they stand behind their products.. I wonder if this being their first attempt and an net workable receiver is the issue. Maybe the next model will be awesome?
post #12 of 133 Old 10-13-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff Hipps from Sherwood participated in the other R-904N thread on here.

You would think that he could use the feedback from customers to tweak it.

Wouldn't you think that Sherwood would want to take advantage of free testers?

I believe that Jeff is no longer with Sherwood though.

If he was indeed good at his job I'm not surprised he left. Probably got tired of working with boneheads...

post #13 of 133 Old 10-13-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I just tried to use VuNow. It worked yesterday.. Today it freezes on the Sherwood Screen.

I called Sherwood and they are going to send me a replacement along with a shipping label so I don't have to pay shipping again.

They really are trying to help me out so I do believe they stand behind their products.. I wonder if this being their first attempt and an net workable receiver is the issue. Maybe the next model will be awesome?

But is this really standing behind their products? I'm not challenging your opinion -- everyone is entitled to their own, of course -- but this is at least the third time you're dealing with the exact same problem. You can only run VuNow a single time, and then it fails again? To me, that says no one tested it, and that they simply (blindly?) dropped in a replacement board and shipped it back. Obviously there's something else wrong with that unit since this is the third time the same part has been replaced, yet it's never once resolved the problem.

I think if they really stood behind their products you'd be getting a brand new one, along with some type of remuneration for all your inconvenience, lost time and expense. Short of that they're doing nothing more then mindless paint-by-numbers, generic "support". Well, that's my 2 cents anyway...

post #14 of 133 Old 10-13-2011, 07:35 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

That may turn out to be a very wise decision on your part. What else were you looking at?

Something similar to the XR-25 just with HDMI multi-channel LPCM support. I will probably just run DTS audio to the XR-25 for now and won't get the full DTS-MA.
post #15 of 133 Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

If he was indeed good at his job I'm not surprised he left. Probably got tired of working with boneheads...

Jeff went to a high-end component company, he was @ Sherwood for 15 years..

Just my $0.02..
post #16 of 133 Old 10-13-2011, 05:06 PM

I believe that Sherwood is affiliated with the OEM called Etronics. http://www.etronics.co.kr/ They OEM for many other brands.

This gives me hope that they will get it right.
post #17 of 133 Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe that Sherwood is affiliated with the OEM called Etronics. http://www.etronics.co.kr/ They OEM for many other brands.

This gives me hope that they will get it right.

The parent company is known as Inkel..
And they build CE products for many global brands including Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz, Denon, Harman/Kardon, NAD and Teac.

Just my $0.02..
post #18 of 133 Old 10-13-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The parent company is known as Inkel..
And they build CE products for many global brands including Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz, Denon, Harman/Kardon, NAD and Teac.

Wow, that's a lot of names. When you say "build" though do you mean simply manufacturer someone else's design, or does Inkel do the engineering as well?

post #19 of 133 Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 PM

I believe Inkel has a team that Designs AVRs. I do not believe they designed this R-904N. I have read that TI designed portions.. I could be 100% wrong though.

I am crossing my finger that Inkel Designed the R-904N and that they understand the issues I had.

Sherwood is going to send me a replacement, so I really hope that they take advantage of the one I send back. I hope they test it and see what is going on just for their own benefit.

Jim,

I bet you called Sherwood during a time they were scrambling around because Jeff Hipps left. I hate to make excuses.
post #20 of 133 Old 10-13-2011, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, that's a lot of names. When you say "build" though do you mean simply manufacturer someone else's design, or does Inkel do the engineering as well?

In most instances they design and build for the mentioned brands....
Note that in most instances it is the lower, mass-market AVRs whose SRP is $499 or less..

Just my $0.02..
post #21 of 133 Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sherwood moved their offices without good advanced planning and had neither telephone nor email service for 17 days. If you tried to contact them during that period, I can understand why you might think their support was MIA. Jin Yoo is in charge of technical support and he does care. He can be reached at: jin@sherwoodamerica.com

Jeff
post #22 of 133 Old 10-14-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Based upon the replies to your post I assume you would be Jeff Hipps. Most speak of you with high regard, so it's good to finally meet you.

I can certainly understand why you left Sherwood. It seems you have a strong work ethic and consider the customer to be of value, which is in distinct contrast to everyone I've encounter over their. You probably sleep better at night now that you've been released from prison...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

Sherwood moved their offices without good advanced planning and had neither telephone nor email service for 17 days. If you tried to contact them during that period, I can understand why you might think their support was MIA.

The torturous debacle I was forced to endure took place over several months, so it wasn't related to their move. However, that mess you referred to does rather graphically point out the prevalent mismanagement; this is the 21st century, what kind of bonehead allows their company to be without phone or email for more then 2 weeks? Nice planning. That defines incompetence, and mirrors my experience with them to a T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

Jin Yoo is in charge of technical support and he does care. He can be reached at: jin@sherwoodamerica.com

Sadly, no he doesn't care. At least if my experience with him is any indication.

He was the person who initially was "in charge" of my case, yet he did absolutely nothing. He never even had the courtesy to respond to a single email. His boss ultimately got involved (and no, I won't be naming him - that could potentially put me in situation where someone can claim libel) and told him to make sure he took care of the situation. He did the exact same thing as before; nothing. The president of Sherwood NA (nope, won't be naming him either) finally made the same request -- by this point I imagine it was more of a demand -- yet he still did nothing. Quite frankly, if this is how he conducts himself on a regular basis he should be terminated for gross dereliction of his responsibilities. I would like to be more blunt in my assessment of Mr Yoo's work ethic, but decorum prevents me from using those words in this forum.

BTW... I have every single email that was exchanged between myself and each person who was involved in this calamity -- or comedy of errors, if you prefer -- so I have names, dates and discussions. I figured it might be pertinent should I choose to address this using different channels.

post #23 of 133 Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 AM

[quote=M Code;21078508]In most instances they design and build for the mentioned brands....
Note that in most instances it is the lower, mass-market AVRs whose SRP is $499 or less..
QUOTE]

They also had a hand in designing/manufacturing the Outlaw Audio 990. They also heped with the 997 that never came to production..
post #24 of 133 Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

In most instances they design and build for the mentioned brands....

Quote:

They also had a hand in designing/manufacturing the Outlaw Audio 990. They also heped with the 997 that never came to production..

Some years back, Inkel actually built about 50% of all Dolby surround AVRs. They had it down to a science, design/build a basic platform under the Sherwood brand then the next selling season change the front panel ID and add/delete certain features for that respective brand.

Just my $0.02..
post #25 of 133 Old 10-17-2011, 01:45 PM

So I can probably assume that Sherwood is used to their product being almost like a test run before the other respective brands come out.

Does this mean that I am probably not annoying them with having my R-904N fixed goin on it's 4th time.

I just don't want them tot hrow in the towel and tell me that I am on my own.
post #26 of 133 Old 10-17-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I can probably assume that Sherwood is used to their product being almost like a test run before the other respective brands come out.

Does this mean that I am probably not annoying them with having my R-904N fixed goin on it's 4th time.

I just don't want them tot hrow in the towel and tell me that I am on my own.

Well, they did that to me so don't be surprised if you hear the same thing...

post #27 of 133 Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I was seriously considering this receiver, but the lack of Audyssey (or comparable) room correction stopped me.

But I am not entirely sure what exactly is your beef with it (other than tech support). Most of these gripes are applicable to one extent or another to every receiver on the market.
post #28 of 133 Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

But I am not entirely sure what exactly is your beef with it (other than tech support). Most of these gripes are applicable to one extent or another to every receiver on the market.

Perhaps you should re-read my original post, because it's pretty telling. I'm not certain how that doesn't paint a rather distinct picture of a multitude of flaws, and a glaring example of a poorly engineered/implement product.

I seriously doubt you're right about every other AVR being this screwed up, at least I seriously hope you aren't. Were that actually the case there wouldn't be one satisfied owner, and it doesn't seem as though that's the case.

post #29 of 133 Old 10-18-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Perhaps you should re-read my original post, because it's pretty telling. I'm not certain how that doesn't paint a rather distinct picture of a multitude of flaws, and a glaring example of a poorly engineered/implement product.

I did see your long list of "Cons" and was struck by how many of these same points would apply to most sub-$1k receivers, and even to some more expensive ones.

I mean stuff like:

"The DSP's (Hall, Concert, Movie, etc) all sound positively ghastly"
"No separate EQ, only bass and treble," or
"The crossover can only be set for 40/80/100/150/200Hz".

Not that I don't feel your pain, but seriously, if this is your beef, you would not be very happy with too many sub-$1k receivers, regardless of what brand you got. Most of the DSP of the even most expensive ones are equally "ghastly."

The VuNow sounds like it has some issues, but frankly all "network" receivers, including the pricier ones, have comparatively primitive, overly complex UIs and can be finicky. If you want a better net content experience, just get an HTPC or a cheap AppleTV.

There is no excuse for bad customer service, but I really doubt they can do much about things like "The front control panel uses the most hideous blue lights on the planet," or "There's no Audyssey."

Anyway, it's a pretty inexpensive receiver, which is unique in some very good ways, but also has a number of flaws. I am just not sure that there is much else which will be better at this price level.
post #30 of 133 Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

"The DSP's (Hall, Concert, Movie, etc) all sound positively ghastly"
"No separate EQ, only bass and treble," or
"The crossover can only be set for 40/80/100/150/200Hz".

Not that I don't feel your pain, but seriously, if this is your beef, you would not be very happy with too many sub-$1k receivers, regardless of what brand you got. Most of the DSP of the even most expensive ones are equally "ghastly."

I agree with you here.. Does anyone even really use those surround modes? I thought they were fun when I was a kid just goofing around.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood R 904n 700 Watt 7 1 Channel Dual Zone Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - 904n by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page