AVS Forum banner
3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jdsmoothie 
#1 ·
Hello all, i have been a long long time "lurker" on these forum boards, and greatly value a lot of the information and opinions that can be found here. It helped me decide on my current TV (mitsu 73") DLP. i am now looking to enhance this with a modest HT setup (70% movies / TV, 30% music) i have already ordered the speakers (monoprice 8" 3-way in walls for front LR, 5 1/4" in wall center, and 8" 2 way in ceiling rears and a 150w powered 12" sub, as i said, modest!!) i have been scouring these boards for several weeks now in trying to find the best receiver for my price range, and thus far have narrowed it down to 2, the onkyo TX-NR 609 or the Denon 2112ci. which i can purchase for about a $30 difference, with the denon being the higher of the two.

I like the fact the onkyo up converts signals to 1080p and also has thx certification, and tbh if it had at least the audyssey multiEQ i would not be here asking this question, but sadly it only has the 2eq, and due to the fact i have a powered sub, which it wont calibrate, has me a little concerned. of course the Denon is similar (airplay is a non issue) but doesnt do any upconverting of video signals. as far as video signals i am not sure if that will be an issue as i have a PS3 for BD, a 360 and a Uverse hd box for tv (which of course is only 1080i)

so i guess what i need to ask you all is, if you were to get either one for free, and only one lol, which would you go for (thx or multi EQ it seems to have boiled down to!), i have been pulling my hair out over this, and even went to the local magnolia store and spoke with their "expert" and within 5 mins could tell he did not know the units themselves at all or really what he was talking about (apparently, according to him, both units upconvert all video signals to 1080p, and the onkyo you can have 7.1 as well as a seperate powered zone 2 output amongst other things!)

so i throw it your direction to see who comes up with what!

i am extremely grateful for any input on this matter and also thank you for taking the time for reading my dilemma!

EDIT: i am only using a 5.1 setup, but plan on using the zone 2 for my back porch in the near future hence the decision on a 7.1, plus it gives me the option later on the add a couple extra channels if i really want to!

regards

Rik

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll help you out some - quit looking at what any AVR can do to video signals. Your display can do the same thing - and quite likely as good or better. Use video pass-through.

The Onkyo you should be comparing the Denon to is the 709. The 609 is a bush league AVR compared to any AVR with Audyssey MultEQ. The 709 has MultEQ XT - just a little bit better. But then the 2112 also has the XT version.

#4 ·
I wouldn't worry about the THX cert. It does mean the Onkyo meets certain performance specs but I'd rather have Audyssey MultiEQ XT over THX certification and only Audyssey 2EQ.

I'd get the Denon 2112

I also own two Denon receivers so I'm a bit biased.

#6 ·
The guys are giving you good advice, look at the 2112. If we can help you, give us a call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.