Used Yamaha - should I go for RX-V2500 or RX-V661? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like a receiver for my HT with a working room correction (my otherwise great Onkyo 989 doesn't have that, and I would really like to see if it ups the sound a notch further). I have heard great things about Yamaha's system, and I decided to try that. Two receivers are for sale in my area, one RX-V2500 and one RX-V661. I know the 661 has HDMI, something the older 2500 lacks. But the thing is that I use my HTPC for viewing on analogue Barco CRT projector, so HDMI really isn't that necessary. So the question is rather simple: Which one of those would give me the best movie sound (I never listen to music in my HT) from DVD's and Blu-rays where the sound is sent by SPDIF from the HTPC? If the newer 661 has better room correction, that is of course also important, but I think they should be pretty similar. The 2500 was a lot more expensive when it was new (in 2005), and it does have more power. I use Mirage speakers, btw. Not particularly hard to power. I'd be thankful for advice!

i7@ 3.6 - ATI 3870HD - Windows 7 64 bit - FFDShow with dScaler sharpen, AVISynth and Lancoz resize to BG808 with HD-144 lenses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I replaced my 661 with an Onkyo NR708 and I regret it. The 661 sounded better, had tons more bass. The Onkyo plays all the new audio codecs (one of the reasons I bought it) which I find to be much adieu about nothing. I don't hear a lick of difference between any of them. Personally I would go with the 661 for the HDMI capability, you're going to need it sooner or later, plus the tons of other features it offers over the 2500. It's hard for me to be more specific because every feature that everyone here drools over doesn't make a bit of difference to me. I just want a stereo I can crank and it sounds good and makes bomb blasts in movies rock the windows!

I can't begin to describe the sound and feeling when you're watching a good war flick and a helicopter comes up in the rear speakers and flies past and you feel like you're actually there!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The 2500 has a great power supply/amp, IMO (based on the assumption that it's very similar to receivers I have owned like the RX-V2700.)

The YPAO on newer models may be better.

If you will need HDMI in the future, the 2500 is only a good deal if you get it at a steal. I would not pay much for it, like $300 and only if it's in minty condition - people were paying amazing prices for Z7s not long ago, so look for deals on newer higher end models if you can.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 11-09-2011, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks! I'm glad the answers that came one week after I actually bought the 2500 agree with my purchase! I'm very satisfied with it. The room correction made the sound more uniform than I was able to get with the Onkyo and regular equalizers.

Since I can't use HDMI on my CRT projector without a HDFury or similar, and I use a HTPC with VGA output as the source, I don't need HDMI on this system. And it was a steal at around $320 (2000 Norwegian kroner, and electronics is around 20-30 % more expensive here than in the US), so the price was right.

i7@ 3.6 - ATI 3870HD - Windows 7 64 bit - FFDShow with dScaler sharpen, AVISynth and Lancoz resize to BG808 with HD-144 lenses

Tags
Yamaha Rx V661bl 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rx V2500 Home Theater Receiver Black