The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR3009 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 922 Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I said it was way overpriced when I bought it !!The price is even higher now!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 922 Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Liked: 59
Whoa, and I thought $80+ was super expensive to cool down a component eek.gif
post #273 of 922 Old 07-28-2012, 10:38 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone else use the UP-A1 dock with there AVR. If so, do you notice you have to turn up the volume louder than when using the USB cable connection?

AVR: Onkyo 3009...Onkyo 609 (Old)
Amp: QSC GX5 (powering RTi A7s) & GX3 (powering CSi3)

Speakers:
Polk Audio CSi3 (Center)...CS1 (Old)
Polk Audio RTi A7 (Fronts)...Monitor 60 (old)
Polk Audio OWM 5 (Surrounds)

Sub: SVS PC12-Plus...BIC America PL-200(Old)
post #274 of 922 Old 07-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Man this receiver is awesome. Jammed it 15 hours today with a hsu 3.3. Many of the listening modes are finally relevant depending on the content. Now I just need to figure out how to set up my hsu 2.3 and 3.3 for some dual bombastic bass fun.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
post #275 of 922 Old 07-29-2012, 09:39 PM

There are two sub pre outs on the back. Plug both each sub into them. You should run Audyssey too to EQ them.

Speakers:

post #276 of 922 Old 07-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeyayo50 View Post

There are two sub pre outs on the back. Plug both each sub into them. You should run Audyssey too to EQ them.

LOL. You mean I'm supposed to hook those up too? I am waiting for some coax to be shipped but the real problem is I live in an apartment and because I have a big ass sectional I don't have a lot of room. And then there is the neighbor factor. But thanks. What would avs do without you. tongue.gif

post #277 of 922 Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I also live in an apartment and I'am rocking with dual SVS PB12-NSD subwoofers.
No problem!

So my 3009 will be sitting on a shelf, open on all sides to the air,
so I won't need to add an external fan?

post #278 of 922 Old 07-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

So what's an alternative to using a tripod or a boom for microphone placement to run the speaker calibration? It seems pretty silly to go out and buy a tripod or a boom. I won't be calibrating my system that often to warrant a purchase.

post #279 of 922 Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 PM

Liked: 12
OSD issues
Have I screwed up somehow, or does osd only work via main hdmi out? Likewise for network related sources.
post #280 of 922 Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

No problem!

When you get it setup check the temp & see what you think.
post #281 of 922 Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No problem!

Open all sides and an ambient temperature that is constantly cool and you should be OK. But me personally, I recommend a fan. Onkyo's tend to run hot, especially movie and long listening sessions. Any air movement will help tremendously. If you're skeptical, find a cheap laptop cooler that will work upside down to see how much warm air is pulled out. Then find a solution like Fuzz's or the one I mentioned earlier. The front half doesn't get nearly as hot as the back so a solution that pulls air from the back should work nicely.

post #282 of 922 Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:

So what's an alternative to using a tripod or a boom for microphone placement to run the speaker calibration? It seems pretty silly to go out and buy a tripod or a boom. I won't be calibrating my system that often to warrant a purchase.

I don't think it makes a noticeable difference. Where not talking about super high microphones and equipment hear tongue.gif. People just suggest it to have the best possible chance of getting a good reading. As long as the room is quiet, you should be fine. Just rest it on top of a box at your listening positions at ear height. Use the box your 3009 came in. It's pretty big.

Speakers:

post #283 of 922 Old 07-30-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post

Open all sides and an ambient temperature that is constantly cool and you should be OK. But me personally, I recommend a fan. Onkyo's tend to run hot, especially movie and long listening sessions. Any air movement will help tremendously. If you're skeptical, find a cheap laptop cooler that will work upside down to see how much warm air is pulled out. Then find a solution like Fuzz's or the one I mentioned earlier. The front half doesn't get nearly as hot as the back so a solution that pulls air from the back should work nicely.

I don't think you need a fan, but you may want to get one to be safe. The best way to find out if you need on or not is to run the receiver in a worst case scenario (play a big dynamic movie or two through it at highish volume) and then pop open the front panel and when the unit is on hold down the display button on the front panel, while holding display press and release the power button, then press the tone button. This can only be done on the unit itself not the remote. You will see some new information on the screen and the temp is displayed in Celsius. Compare room temp to onkyo temp and see if there is a huge discrepancy
post #284 of 922 Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 AM
mgp

Quote:

I don't know about all laptop coolers, but the Coolermaster Notepal X-Slim I bought ($20.00 at Frys) fan is pointed up, so it sucks the air out of the Onkyo. The X-slim looks nice, lays flat and keeps the receiver @ about 37-38 degrees with moderately loud volume. It is USB powered and is relatively quiet(21 dba). It will do untill I can find something better.

Sharp Elite Pro-70x5fd Display
Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
Sony PS3
Triton 2 L/R
SCXL Center
SS50 Surround
SS3 Rear
SVS SB13-Ultra Sub
post #285 of 922 Old 07-31-2012, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think it makes a noticeable difference. Where not talking about super high microphones and equipment hear tongue.gif. People just suggest it to have the best possible chance of getting a good reading. As long as the room is quiet, you should be fine. Just rest it on top of a box at your listening positions at ear height. Use the box your 3009 came in. It's pretty big.

Stacking boxes to get to ear level is exactly what I had in mine.

post #286 of 922 Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:

You can purchase either on Amazon for < $20 and either will provide the best readings from the Audyssey mic. Also note that Audyssey must be run anytime there is any speaker movement/relocation/additoni or any change in furniture positioning/room dynamics. Having paid for an upper level AVR, you would be doing a disservice by using anything less than a tripod or mic boom. Using a box (or worse yet boxes) would be like buying a high performance turbo sports car and then filling it with regular gas .... it works, but you won't get the full performance out of the car as you would using premium gas.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #287 of 922 Old 07-31-2012, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Stacking boxes to get to ear level is exactly what I had in mine.

Empty boxes? That will probably mess up the acoustics. You can get a tripod from Walmart or amazon for ~$15.

post #288 of 922 Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 AM

My room is not acoustically sound and i dought most peoples are not either. I personally cant tell a difference having the mic on a tripod or on boxes in my room. Thats why i say it may not make a huge difference. i find the difference comes when not having speaker at ear level height

Speakers:

post #289 of 922 Old 07-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

i finally received this... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AS39WC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00 my initial impression is good. still think it's a little overpriced. $50 would be reasonable, shipping included. time will tell if the power supply and fans hold up. the fans seem to be mid grade and the air flow is sufficient. it is also silent at highest speed in quiet room. just thought i'd share for anybody considering. homemade solutions can probably do better and at a better price if anybody is willing to venture that road.
freeyayo50 likes this.
post #290 of 922 Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM
mgp

Quote:

i finally received this... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AS39WC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00 my initial impression is good. still think it's a little overpriced. $50 would be reasonable, shipping included. time will tell if the power supply and fans hold up. the fans seem to be mid grade and the air flow is sufficient. it is also silent at highest speed in quiet room. just thought i'd share for anybody considering. homemade solutions can probably do better and at a better price if anybody is willing to venture that road.

What kind of temps are you running with this unit? It is one of the coolers I have been looking at as a long term solution. The Coolermaster Notepal X-Slim I have is just a little bit louder than I would like when listening at lower levels. At moderate volume, I can't hear it.

Sharp Elite Pro-70x5fd Display
Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
Sony PS3
Triton 2 L/R
SCXL Center
SS50 Surround
SS3 Rear
SVS SB13-Ultra Sub
post #291 of 922 Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 AM

I am soliciting advice on where to add speakers to my setup. I've always been content with the 5.1 setup...mostly because I've owned separates for many years and have only had a 5 channel amp. Well, I pulled the trigger on a 3009 yesterday and am now exdcited at the possibility of experiencing more channels in my system now that I will have the amplifiers to run additional speaker.

I am not running a dedicated HT, so my room is not ideal (I have it set up in a family room and there is no right wall of the room...opens to breakfast nook/kitchen). The link in my signature has many pics of my setup to get an idea of what any possibilities may be. Note that pictured is a front projection system with a shelf mounted projector in the rear of my room. That is no longer there so that area is open for speaker placement if needed.

I am thinking that given my room restrictions....I should add Front Height speakers to the front sound stage and a Surround Back speaker/s at approximately the position of where the projector used to be? Thoughts on that???

Also, I'd like to stay in the Paradigm Studio line. Would Studio 20's be too much for the Front Height speakers? Would adding another bookshelf to the Surround Back be idea or would the ADP-590 be a better fit?

Take a look at my setup and let me know what you think.

Thanks!!

Scott
post #292 of 922 Old 08-01-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 10
Hello again. The internal clicking in my onkyo 5009 has come back. I have just noted (controlling temps) that SEC value changes from M to L when clicking...

Anyone has any ideas??

I am planning to send it back to rma again...

PC LGA 2011 Intel 3930K C2 Onkyo 5009 2xMonitor Audio GX300 Biamp Kef XQ50C 2xKef XQ10 Rel R-205 Sub Panasonic P50VT30
post #293 of 922 Old 08-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Click here to see the floorplan of my HT.

Notice where I placed my four subwoofers.
Any tips or suggestions before running my 3009's full Audyssey calibration?

post #294 of 922 Old 08-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgp View Post

Quote:

What kind of temps are you running with this unit? It is one of the coolers I have been looking at as a long term solution. The Coolermaster Notepal X-Slim I have is just a little bit louder than I would like when listening at lower levels. At moderate volume, I can't hear it.

I haven't checked temps. Just old school hand on the forehead checking. When I pull this cooler off, the top is moderately warm. Not even close to hot. Did waaaay better than I expected even with all the open sides. My ambient temps are around 75+- 3 degrees depending on time of day. As far as hearing I have to get about a foot away at highest speed to hear it at max speed. Do note I put some rubber guards on the feet so it wont be metal to metal but I don't think that silenced fans any. Maybe mitigated any metal vibration. It is pretty good so far, but my initial observation still stands. A little pricey for the kit but does very well so far and is great insurance keeping the receiver cool.

post #295 of 922 Old 08-01-2012, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here is an interesting symptom. Has anyone else observed this?
Was starting watching a Blu-Ray using my 2-week old 3009. When I came back in the room the screen was blank but the sound was on.
Could get nothing on the screeen from Onkyo on any source not even OSD.
Checked HDMI to TV etc. Power cycled everything a few times. Nada

Finally I unplugged the Onkyo for 1 minute and then fired it all back up. Worked fine.
post #296 of 922 Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmanuelgm View Post

Hello again. The internal clicking in my onkyo 5009 has come back. I have just noted (controlling temps) that SEC value changes from M to L when clicking...
Anyone has any ideas??
I am planning to send it back to rma again...

I just sent my 709 to repair because often it would click repeatedly and not do anything else when turned on.
Turns out there was a recall for some internal wiring issues.
That seems to have fixed it for me.
post #297 of 922 Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Well you'll need a Y splitter since the 3009 doens't support 4 subs, just make sure to connect both F12s to one pre-out and and both PB 12's to the other pre out. Then set the receiver to two subwoofers when you plug the setup microphone in and then just run full cal and you're off.

If you're wondering where you should place the mic for all 8 positions here you go

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq/how-to

If I were you, since your room isn't exactly like the diagram in the link I would run the first three positions from the love seat in the back

The next three positions I'd run width wise in the middle of the room

7/8 in the corner where it is open (bottom right of the diagram)

And the final position right in front of the TV maybe. This should give audyssey a good picture of your room.
freeyayo50 likes this.
post #298 of 922 Old 08-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

Quote:

And the final position right in front of the TV maybe. This should give audyssey a good picture of your room.

I think you're supposed to it basically at all listening positions or a little wide and all measurements in between the front l/r speakers. I don't know if it is OK to go beyond that if you have front wide speakers. Probably not. But I am really thinking doing something right in front of the TV would mess up the room correction, seeing as the 1st measurement is the main listening position and the rest basically set the sound bubble for the rest of the listening positions.

post #299 of 922 Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:

I think you're supposed to it basically at all listening positions or a little wide and all measurements in between the front l/r speakers. I don't know if it is OK to go beyond that if you have front wide speakers. Probably not. But I am really thinking doing something right in front of the TV would mess up the room correction, seeing as the 1st measurement is the main listening position and the rest basically set the sound bubble for the rest of the listening positions.

Listening positions aren't necessaily the most important outside of the first three. The point is to put the microphone in as many places as possible so it can gauge how sound is reflecting around the room, this is why audyssey pro can do up to 32 positions. The more places around the room the mic is placed, the better audyssey can can "see" where corners are, where sound is being absorbed more or reflected more, if there is a null anywhere and at what frequency(ies) and how being open to another room will affect the sound and try to correct for that.
post #300 of 922 Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

If I were you, since your room isn't exactly like the diagram in the link...

Actually that diagram is exactly like my room.
I created it over at floorplanner.com.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3009 , Transformers Dark Of The Moon Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , The Fifth Element Remastered Blu Ray , Onkyo Ht Rc160 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page