post #631 of 937 Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

I will go Oppo in the future as I already have a DV-983 but for now I went with the Panasonic BDT220. It's very fast and cheap.

You do realize you'd be getting the EXACT same sound if you stayed with the PS3, and used LPCM. The only difference is that the TrueHD, or DTS Master light will not light up on your receiver because it doesn't have to decode the codec. Decoding the codec is not like a D-A conversion, it's more akin to simply unzipping a zip file. The end result is exactly the same whether the receiver does it or the PS3 does it. The only difference being that the PS3 has faster processors at its disposal, and so may be more efficient at the decoding. This also means less processing, heat, spurious signals, etc., in your receiver, so could possibly result in better sound by having the PS3 set to LPCM instead of Bitstream. I wouldn't go so far as to say that there would be a measurable difference, and under blind A/B testing, I'm sure a human would not be able to tell the difference. I saw you already bought an additional blu-ray player, but perhaps future readers will be spared the expense from the misinformation above, or perhaps you would still be able to return it.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 937 Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks but I actually bought the bluray player for my upstairs system and am also using it in my theater so it's not actually to replace my PS3. Yes I'm aware LPCM is still HD but being new to Onkyo I couldn't figure out which sound format it was actually playing plus I like my lights :-) My Yamaha always showed MPCM this only showed PCM.

The Panasonic 220 is much faster than my ps3 and sounded better than my oppo on some dvd's and had near equal PQ. Don't know why but on House of Flying daggers (non DTS) the Onkyo 3009 shows DTS with the panasonic player and with the oppo it does not. Also for some reason with the oppo I have to zoom in to fill the screen.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #633 of 937 Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 AM

And isn't that what receivers are for, to process sound and video?

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #634 of 937 Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Liked: 59
Quote:

And isn't that what receivers are for, to process sound and video?

They can be. It all depends on what else you have in the chain because technically everything is processing the audio signal to some degree. Take for instance my Onkyo 3009. It obviously processes the audio of movies and music that I have run through it or I can set it to direct or pure mode in which it does nothing to the audio signal and lets whatever the source is do the processing. I have my Oppo BDP-95 connected through multi-channel analog to the Onkyo and I prefer how it sounds when the Oppo does the audio processing.
post #635 of 937 Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM

Ya I understand. I just find it hard to believe that a $300 PS3 does a better job at processing audio signals than a $1,500 receiver.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #636 of 937 Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Ya I understand. I just find it hard to believe that a $300 PS3 does a better job at processing audio signals than a $1,500 receiver.

I don't believe I said it did.

I have no idea what the other guy is talking about.
post #637 of 937 Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

They can be. It all depends on what else you have in the chain because technically everything is processing the audio signal to some degree. Take for instance my Onkyo 3009. It obviously processes the audio of movies and music that I have run through it or I can set it to direct or pure mode in which it does nothing to the audio signal and lets whatever the source is do the processing. I have my Oppo BDP-95 connected through multi-channel analog to the Onkyo and I prefer how it sounds when the Oppo does the audio processing.
You do realize by hooking up your Oppo via the multi-channel analog inputs you lose the ability to use Audyssey XT32. Also bass management is done through the player rather than the 3009, it's preferable to have the receiver do the bass management. The better DACs of the player don't out weight the sonic benefits of the receiver handling the bass management and Audyssey XT32.
post #638 of 937 Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

You do realize by hooking up your Oppo via the multi-channel analog inputs you lose the ability to use Audyssey XT32. Also bass management is done through the player rather than the 3009, it's preferable to have the receiver do the bass management. The better DACs of the player don't out weight the sonic benefits of the receiver handling the bass management and Audyssey XT32.

Without turning this into a big back and forth, suffice it to say I have more than two pieces of equipment in my signal chain and that I don't need either of those.
post #639 of 937 Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Wheeeew! I just read every post here. I'm new to this forum thing, and not sure quite how it works. I've been reading others posts but never replied. Well that aside, I am seriously considering getting the 3009. Right now I have a older pio elite vsx-01. It's done a pretty good job so far, but has always sounded bright to me. Has anyone compared to sound between the two? I'm sure I will get the 3009, just have to convince the wife.

post #640 of 937 Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 AM

Liked: 11
For anyone having unusual video difficulties with their Roku 2 XS, I discovered that when using 1080P video and 5.1CH audio, that the video mode for the HDMI input on the Onkyo TX-NR3009 must be set to "Direct" mode, otherwise the white level or black level or gamma gets out of whack making the picture un-watchable. There are 6 video settings and only "Direct" works properly. I am a very happy camper with my Roku + TX-NR3009 setup now!
mavericks64 likes this.
post #641 of 937 Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Baldwin View Post

For anyone having unusual video difficulties with their Roku 2 XS, I discovered that when using 1080P video and 5.1CH audio, that the video mode for the HDMI input on the Onkyo TX-NR3009 must be set to "Direct" mode, otherwise the white level or black level or gamma gets out of whack making the picture un-watchable. There are 6 video settings and only "Direct" works properly. I am a very happy camper with my Roku + TX-NR3009 setup now!

I went through this problem with Roku. The picture does look better with the direct mode but when compared with other streaming devices I have it does not look so good(I am being polite). With my other devices Sony 390 & 590 & LG & Apple TV &WD TV. I can also use those devices with any video setting.
post #642 of 937 Old 12-27-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Baldwin View Post

I'll add that I was having problems with the so-called purple-screen-of-death (PSOD) when pairing my Roku 2 xs with the 3009 via HDMI. Apparently, the Roku can experience a handshaking problem that interferes with digital rights issues; when that happens the screen image will have a purple hue. This would happen intermittently when starting to stream a paid-content show, e.g., Netflix or HBO Go. None of the general 'fixes' for the problem that I read online worked permanently (e.g., de-powering everything in the signal path and rebooting). However, when experiencing the PSOD, rebooting the Roku itself usually worked as an interim fix. Very annoying, though. Roku support suggested that I punt and go with analog video feed. Nope. AVS to the rescue: I recently read in the AVS Roku forum that setting the 3009 to "Direct" mode would fix the PSOD. I made the change last weekend; so far, no PSOD. The thread in the Roku forum was mostly about black levels, though. Tangentially, I gotta say that I had no problems with my black levels prior to setting the 3009 to "Direct.". I not sure what that is all about; but then again, I don't care wink.gif.
post #643 of 937 Old 12-28-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGSEG View Post

I'll add that I was having problems with the so-called purple-screen-of-death (PSOD) when pairing my Roku 2 xs with the 3009 via HDMI. Apparently, the Roku can experience a handshaking problem that interferes with digital rights issues; when that happens the screen image will have a purple hue. This would happen intermittently when starting to stream a paid-content show, e.g., Netflix or HBO Go. None of the general 'fixes' for the problem that I read online worked permanently (e.g., de-powering everything in the signal path and rebooting). However, when experiencing the PSOD, rebooting the Roku itself usually worked as an interim fix. Very annoying, though. Roku support suggested that I punt and go with analog video feed. Nope. AVS to the rescue: I recently read in the AVS Roku forum that setting the 3009 to "Direct" mode would fix the PSOD. I made the change last weekend; so far, no PSOD. The thread in the Roku forum was mostly about black levels, though. Tangentially, I gotta say that I had no problems with my black levels prior to setting the 3009 to "Direct.". I not sure what that is all about; but then again, I don't care wink.gif.

I found the same solution to stop the PSOD. But when streaming 5.1 from Netflix the picture does not look as good as the other devices I have.The head guru on the roku forum suggests making all kind of changes to the tv`s settings & on & on & problems still persist. The other devices you plug in & they work & produce better pictures.
post #644 of 937 Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Just placed an order for a 3009!! $999 new unopened, and with factory warranty. I'm now looking into onkyo's design flaw....no 12v trigger for main zone! Why would they have or preouts, but no trigger?? Or better yet, if its a 9.2 how would you get your two subs to power on with the unit? Pretty dumb if you ask me. Anyone know a easy way around this? I'll be using it as a pre/pro. I have a pair of emotiva XPA-1's, and a XPA-3. Also a pair of velodyne DD-15's. I have a emotiva ET-3 trigger block so really I only need one trigger going into it. I heard you can use the zone two trigger, but don't feel like haveing to turn on zone two each time I power up. Anyway you can use a harmony one remote to handle this? Maybe some one has the same situation and has a way to program the remote?

post #645 of 937 Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM

^^^
I am using two subs & they both power on.
post #646 of 937 Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Are you using zone two? Or do your subs detect a signal coming to them?

post #647 of 937 Old 12-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

I found the same solution to stop the PSOD. But when streaming 5.1 from Netflix the picture does not look as good as the other devices I have.The head guru on the roku forum suggests making all kind of changes to the tv`s settings & on & on & problems still persist. The other devices you plug in & they work & produce better pictures.

I haven't looked at Netflix streams very much, yet, in Direct mode. I'll take a closer look.
post #648 of 937 Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

Are you using zone two? Or do your subs detect a signal coming to them?

Not using zone 2. Both subs detect a signal. You just set it up for two subs before you run Audyssey.
post #649 of 937 Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Yea my velo's detect a signal as well, but when they don't detect a signal for awhile they turn off. There is a very slight click when they power on or off. I like to keep them on until I want to turn them off. This is why I want to use a 12v trigger. Plus my amps need a 12v trigger as well. I've heard you can program a harmony one to power up zone two all the time. Just haven't heard exactly how.

post #650 of 937 Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 AM

^ ^ ^
I am running two Paradigm sub10's. I have never noticed them turn off.

As far as programing a Harmony one for zone 2 I am sorry but I can`t help you with that.
post #651 of 937 Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Yea my velo's detect a signal as well, but when they don't detect a signal for awhile they turn off. There is a very slight click when they power on or off. I like to keep them on until I want to turn them off. This is why I want to use a 12v trigger. Plus my amps need a 12v trigger as well. I've heard you can program a harmony one to power up zone two all the time. Just haven't heard exactly how.

It is very simple to program the harmony one so that you can turn zone 2 and 3 on and off at will. I will mention that if you use zone 2 and 3 you will be limited to 5 channels in your main system, so that's always something to keep in mind.

Do you have the Harmony software installed on a computer? If so I can walk you through the process.
post #652 of 937 Old 12-29-2012, 03:11 PM

Liked: 10
When watching cable content and the feature presentation goes to commercial, the receiver basically shuts down and reaquires the signal. Hence the clicking some complain about. I read Fuzz post several pages ago where Onkyo said that clicking should only be due to heat (not my issue) or when changing sources. I guess when my shows go to commercial it appears the receiver thinks it has a new source. Is there a way around this? Thanks!

Sharp LC80LE844U 80-inch 3D LED TV
Onkyo TXNR3009 Home Cinema Receiver
9.1 channels
Paradigm Reference Studio/100 v.2 front speakers
Paradigm CC-350 center-channel
Paradigm ADP-350 surrounds
Paradigm Monitor 9 back speakers
Paradigm Mini Monitor Heights
FV15HP Rythmik subwoofer
post #653 of 937 Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericks64 View Post

When watching cable content and the feature presentation goes to commercial, the receiver basically shuts down and reaquires the signal. Hence the clicking some complain about. I read Fuzz post several pages ago where Onkyo said that clicking should only be due to heat (not my issue) or when changing sources. I guess when my shows go to commercial it appears the receiver thinks it has a new source. Is there a way around this? Thanks!

Nope. The issue is that if you are using a box the actual show is broadcast in dolby something or other, while the commercials are broadcast in some other audio format. So it's not that the receiver thinks sources are switching, it has to adjust its processing of the signal because the audio signal changes from show to commercial and sometimes from commercial to commercial.
mavericks64 likes this.
post #654 of 937 Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Yes I have the software installed, but my 3009 won't be here till Monday.

post #655 of 937 Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Yes I have the software installed, but my 3009 won't be here till Monday.

Alright, well anyways, after you open the software you can either switch whatever you have, or probably easier delete the activity and go through the quick setup again. After you do this and get the receiver all setup on the remote, go into whatever activities you want to use the 12V trigger for and click on "customize buttons" and then pick a key that isn't being used and select that you want it to be a receiver button and then select zone 2. You can also set it up as an extra touch screen button.
post #656 of 937 Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

I was hoping there was a way you can just have it turn on zone 2 with our having to push a extra button. Maybe under power options? Well when I get it all set up ill give a go.

On another note.....what kind of sound would you call the 3009? Warm, neutral, bright? I have a pio elite now and think its on the bright side.

post #657 of 937 Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:

I was hoping there was a way you can just have it turn on zone 2 with our having to push a extra button. Maybe under power options? Well when I get it all set up ill give a go.
On another note.....what kind of sound would you call the 3009? Warm, neutral, bright? I have a pio elite now and think its on the bright side.
Well once you have the everything set you just add "turn on zone 2" to the list of things it does when you activate an activity.

Neutral, at least compared to Marantz. I actually like the Marantz better, but wanted some of the bells and whistles that Marantz didn't offer.
post #658 of 937 Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Would you guys and gals post up your favorite movie listening settings?
It would be interesting to see what other 3009 owners think sounds the best.

post #659 of 937 Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

You could've really started things off by going first biggrin.gif
post #660 of 937 Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

If the audio source is >=5.1, then I use a straight decode for movies. My system is 9.1 with heights and wides, but for movies I much prefer the straight decode over Neo:X or Audyssey.

On the other hand, for music listening with two channel audio sources I usually upmix; my strong preference is Neo:X over Audyssey.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3009 , Transformers Dark Of The Moon Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , The Fifth Element Remastered Blu Ray , Onkyo Ht Rc160 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page